DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Blade of Light, Three Become One. (Full Spoilers).

Luckers

I reckon Fain will appear at the right place at the right time, fitting his wildcard nature and Rands Ta'veren. Rand breaks the Seals, the Dark One appears, Fain pops out of nowhere, Fain touches the Dark One with his power, and while the Dark One is drawn to Fain against his will Rand creates a Void in the Pattern around them. No risk of Tainting the Source, no need to try using the True Power and risk the Dark One stopping Rand by denying him access to the True Power. Maybe he will use Callandor, that might be able to channel Ta'verenism as well as the Source.

Rand can't directly touch the DO with the OP. HOWEVER he can touch Fain directly with the OP, because Fain is a different kind of evil. This might be plausible if Fain is used in the process of sealing the DO completely

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Completely believe that Fain's evil will be the buffer that touches the Dark One and Rand.  He will be touching his two enemies somehow and that will allow Rand to make the prison.  This seals Fain being the Gollum of the franchise.

yes but fain is so much cooler than gollum, he is more dynamic and doesnt just follow an item because he is obsessed of it

I certainly hope that they don't make fain into a modern day gollum to that extent.  Is he going to bite off Rand's finger just before he falls into the Bore too?  It's just TOO lord of the rings and these books are generally better than just copying old plotlines. 

I just don't see fain vs the dark one being a fair fight.  Even fain thinks that if a forsaken catches him, he is toast, but he can take on the DO in his home turf?  I think this is unlikely, but, like all of us, i have no way to know.  There is also nothing in the prophecies that could interpreted as fain fighting the DO that we know of.

I love the Fain character, but I sincerely hope that he winds up accidentally saving rand from shaidar haran or some other dark creature just before he gets stuck in a vacuoule that breaks off from the pattern forever.  Having him take on the DO so that the world can heal the bore is just wrong.

Fain is continually getting stronger, and while in a straight up fight with one of the forsaken he may lose, get him near them without them knowing who he is and he'd corrupt them like anyone else. So say you toss Fain into the bore, fain dies... at this point do you really think killing fain is going to end the Mordeth spirit that existed in Shadar Logoth for how many hundreds of years? Hell, fain dying, and freeing this spirit in the bore, may be exactly what's needed as the "buffer."

There's more too Fain than just a "Gollum" character, I agree. But saying that he's going to be used in a similar manner doesn't limit him to just that. He's already effected this story in far different ways than Smeagol in LotR. And him being used in the way we're discussing doesn't have to be anything like Gollum playing the accidental savior in the end.

I see it being a far more planned and deliberate use on rand's part in the end. He already has the clue's, and he used them cleanse Saidin. Why wouldn't he carry it a step further? Shadar Logoth was able to negate all of the power that existed in the taint on Saidin, and The spark that created the shadows of Shadar Logoth was Mordeth. It's a subtle power, yes, but Fain/Mordeth is in no way weak.

God, I really hated Gollum. Fain is nothing like Gollum. Fain wouldn't be an accidental savior. Rand would piece it together that Fain and his brand 'evil' are just what he needs for a buffer in sealing the DO. That god awful Gollum fell into the lava with the ring. OOOOOOOHHHHHHHH. I'm soooo impressed. Gollum doesn't do anything but obsess over the ring. He does nothing else except lie to lil' hobbits. Fain on the other hand has become a very powerful entity. He's amassing very dark abilities, that even Fades are scared of. And the only reason Fain was obsessed with the dagger is because Mordeth infiltrating his soul. He's literally become one with Fain. Even Machin Shin wants nothing to do with Fain, and that was born of the taint on Saidin. Fain is a far more important individual then people give him credit for. IMO he will be extremely pivotal in completely sealing away the DO. He has what Rand needs to help win TG.

Walrus, that's exactly what I meant when I said Fain is more than a "Gollum" character, and that the use of fain as the buffer would be much more deliberate plan on Rand's part. Fain has no intention of playing the savior, and there's nothing driving him to that accidental thing like the obsession with the ring. But in both the cleansing, and the battleing wounds on Rand's side, we have evidence of Mashadar and the DO's power neutralizing each other.

It's a much more logical step for Rand to use that power willingly against the DO, than to use the TP, and as I stated early, place a crowbar in the DO's hands before trying to close the door.

Walrus, that's exactly what I meant when I said Fain is more than a "Gollum" character, and that the use of fain as the buffer would be much more deliberate plan on Rand's part. Fain has no intention of playing the savior, and there's nothing driving him to that accidental thing like the obsession with the ring. But in both the cleansing, and the battleing wounds on Rand's side, we have evidence of Mashadar and the DO's power neutralizing each other.

It's a much more logical step for Rand to use that power willingly against the DO, than to use the TP, and as I stated early, place a crowbar in the DO's hands before trying to close the door.

Then you and I are very much in agreement. :)

While I do see the connection that can be made between Fain and the DO's power I have a hard time believing he will be strong enough by TG to serve in the purpose described. Fain was the very first Dark Friend we meet and his impact thus far has been immense so he is very important. In regards to the three becoming one though I gotta go with the 3 powers. Through the Dragon Reborn the three will become one. yes the TP is an aspect of the DO. But if that is entirely true then how did Rand use it, how could he without the DO allowing it? Also the thoughts so far seem to assume that the TP will be used in accordance with the other two. However the prophecy says the 3 will become 1. To me that could mean a whole knew power, ie the creators power. In any case I have really enjoyed reading everyone's theories and counter theories. Feel free to rip mine up as I have no more knowledge than anyone else. I just want Rand to revert to his old self a bit and take on a whole new set of power!

Its more likely about Callandor, and in that context, it probably means his girls - although we could have a joining of both sets of 3. Rand, Mat, Perrin, and Elayne, Min, Aviendha.

I personally don't like this idea of Callandor needing two women for proper use with one of the women having to guide the flows. Seems like a lame variant of political correctness at work.

I agree with Shard...Avi,Elayne, Rand and Callandor.....I think the reason you need the woman is the same reason Rand destroyed the Choedan Kal...." No one man should hold that much power".

Fain isn't obsessed with an inanimate object, he's obsessed with a whole bunch of beings, that he's come to despise. Much cooler.

Forgot about the Ruby-Hilted dagger did we? He chased Rand to get it back from him and entered the "hated" WT to finally get it back. Seems pretty obessed to me.

Hmmm...three become one...circle of three women, with Alivia directing the flows; three becoming one...to help Rand die...nevermind, haven't really thought that one out.

I used to be of opinion that the blade of light was something Rand would create on his own. After all, every time he severs the black steel wires (filter) from one of the chosen he uses a blade (sword) of Light. It's kind of circumspect in tGH, but he's channeling balefire into Callandor and it shines brighter than the sun.

But after tGS pg 731...

"I told them...Lews Therin whispered.

Told them what? Rand demanded.

That the plan would not work, Lews Therin said, voice very soft. That brute force would not contain him..."

I'm back to Callandor as the blade of light. I think that's why it doesn't matter the Choeden Kal (sp?) was destroyed. Quote gives the impression it has to be done with finesse; concentration over power kind of thing. Callandor is different in a similar way, you walk that razors edge, teetering on the brink of destruction; no buffer. Seems very akin to the concentration factor being more important, even if it is manageable with two women guiding the flows.

That being said, it's gotta be Egwene and Nynaeve.

All from tGH (US paperback):

pg 564 Liandrin handing girls over to Suroth

"Liandrin laid a hand on Nynaeve's shoulder and one on Egwene's. "These were the two of whom you were told.""

pg 568 becomes pretty clear Ishy is commanding them (Semi wasn't controlling Suroth yet was she?), who I think corrupted seanchan prophecy for these specific moments...

pg 568

""You must find the woman Nynaeve," Liandrin said sharply. "Elayne is of no importance, but both the woman and this girl must be taken with you on your ships when you sail."

"I know very well what has been commanded, marath'damane, though I would give much to know why."

"However much you were told, child," Liandrin sneered, "that is how much you are allowed to know. Remember that you serve and obey. These two must be removed to the other side of the Aryth Ocean and kept there.""

pg 569

""If either is allowed to remain here," Liandrin said tightly, "our master will trouble himself with you, Suroth. Take them both, or pay the price.""

pg 665 Rand and Ishy in the sky. Seems to say this out of nowhere

""They will not save you," Ba'alzamon said. "Those who might save you will be carried far across the Aryth Ocean. If you ever see them again, they will be collared slaves, and they will destroy you for their new masters.""

Seems to me Ishy wants the girls gone because they are important to pattern, LB and Rand. If it's Callandor that's important, and the two parts of the prophecy are in conjunction with each other, I'm betting it's Nynaeve and Egwene that's gotta help.

ok been a few books since i read this one and first time posting here, so don't flame me much. But why does the sword of light 3 become one prophecy have to contain callandor?(sp) i took the sword of light to be the Choden Ka (sp) thingy and the three to be Rand/Lews/Shell of Rand. I get this from the Min reading i think (going off scattered memories so might be wrong) where the 3 come together also lews talking about the other guy. Now at the end of the book when rand was on top of dragon mount and destroying the Choden thing there is  lot of light (sword?) and then the three selves of rand seem to come together as one when its over and he laughs which closes up the cadusane crap since she did cause it. Now for some reason as i was reading i got the feeling before all that happened that that was what the whole thing was about and to close that certain prophecy at the end of the book that it was harped on seems to be a valid point to me. Now i am by no means a Wheel Of Time expert but i do love the series just haven't reread it and been a month or so since i read TGS but that was my thoughts on it i couldn't suffer through the 33 pages of this thread to see if it was brought up or not just the first few and it all centered around callandor so i just thought i'd ask. anyway please inform me if i just wasted space i would like to know being as i like the series

Fain isn't obsessed with an inanimate object, he's obsessed with a whole bunch of beings, that he's come to despise. Much cooler.

Forgot about the Ruby-Hilted dagger did we? He chased Rand to get it back from him and entered the "hated" WT to finally get it back. Seems pretty obessed to me.

It wasn't Fain himself that was obsessed with the dagger but Mordeth. Remember, Mordeth is now a part of Fain and wanted his property back. It wasn't actually Fain himself obsessed.

i feel bad for fain. he has had a hard life.

Yeah, he's had it some bad over the years. The DO worked him over some good at SG, and then Mordeth consumed a major portion of his soul at Shadar Logoth. So Fain has had a very bad life.

You are both Darkfriends.

He chose that life. It is all his own fault.

Archived