DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

ROBERT JORDAN: Literary Wh0re

Draven

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Bluewater" what now...? WoT has been around for what, 15 years? With 11 books, most of which twice as thick than the average novel; and hundreds of pages wasted on obscure, peripheral and inconsequential characters...Uh, yeah, I think "too long" sums up my opinion. (The Iliad isn't too long for me though;

it's not even a complete account of the Trojan War, but I like it as it is. So as the Arthurian Legends.) :)

"Bluewater" what now...? WoT has been around for what' date=' 15 years? With 11 books, most of which twice as thick than the average novel; and hundreds of pages wasted on obscure, peripheral and inconsequential characters...Uh, yeah, I think "too long" sums up my opinion. (The Iliad isn't too long for me though;

it's not even a complete account of the Trojan War, but I like it as it is. So as the Arthurian Legends.) :)[/quote']

There you go. Subjective opinions, innit?

Between you and me, I was peeved when I found out that the 12th book would be the last. I reckoned he'd need at least 16 installments to do proper justice to his tale. He could have pulled it off in 10, but that's not the point is it ?

I hope he proves me wrong.

So you don't think "Battlestar Galactica" is tooo long,then.

What about "Lost"?. Do you think "Lost" is too long ? :wink:

Hmmm...I just skimmed through this thread, and I don't know whether to laugh or to cry. :roll:

Rule 1: Draven can have his own opinions.

Rule 2: We can have our own opinions.

Rule 3: Keep this thread clear of name-calling, insulting, etc.

Ok Draven, you have...interesting...views. Amazingly inappropriate for THIS website though. If you think RJ is a money-minded freak...well, keep your mouth shut on a website discussing his most popular series. Oh, and try to listen to sense before you reply to anyone...

well said, man. really, without getting too vehement, what possible purpose could a thread like this serve? this is an opinion that we all, ALL, have expressed, at least to ourselves, at least once. maybe not the money-mongering (well, maybe so), but about the longwindedness and minute attention to detail. we all eventually chalk it up to his mastery, which may be true, and which may reflect jordan's obvious relish of pontificating. which isn't a bad thing, necessarily. i'm like that too, some of my best friends are. not a bad thing. but a true thing.

but, well, there's not really any call to bust onto a diehard fansite and start running your mouth either. that's just not cool.

that being said, there's a little bit of over reaction going on here too. i mean, it's just an opinion. really. it's not even the most offensive opinion he stated in this thread.

i think we all just need to take it easy, man. 8)

DrakeDouaywhat now...? WoT has been around for what, 15 years?... I was peeved when I found out that the 12th book would be the last. I reckoned he'd need at least 16 installments to do proper justice to his tale. He could have pulled it off in 10, but that's not the point is it ?

readers such as this are obviously quite young and have the attitude that they are mulletproof and will live forever. if he had written two books a year these preferences would be feasible.

such is their view on bookwriters and their tales.

the author of this tale is on the brink of death and there might not be closure to the WOT. what purpose would that serve?

its not like stan lee merely editing marvel comics because guess what - he is still alive. he gets to see X-men, spiderman and the fantastic four on film. we might not have a book 12.

everyone has "druthers". some younger readers of this 15 year old tale would "druther" it went on for the rest of their lives. that's like never having a goal in life. i would druther finish a complete series than be left hanging. one author i can bring to mind has done that already.

it has to end and this is a good time.

readers such as this are obviously quite young and have the attitude that they are mulletproof and will live forever. if he had written two books a year these preferences would be feasible.

such is their view on bookwriters and their tales.

the author of this tale is on the brink of death and there might not be closure to the WOT. what purpose would that serve?

its not like stan lee merely editing marvel comics because guess what - he is still alive. .

Is Rob Jordan dying? If this is true, you have a point. :?

However, we know that "Lost" and "Battlestar Galactica" will probably never be

concluded...with questions satisfactorily answered etc.

It doesn't stop people watching though, does it ?

Man,

You'll no doubt be pleased to know that my anti-mullet countermeasures have so far proved to be successful....

...ahaha... :)

Is Rob Jordan dying? If this is true, you have a point.

Have you been reading his blog? He has amyloidosis, which is a very serious illness, but he seems to have a very positive outlook, and I don't think that "brink of death" is the correct way of putting it at this point. I think that if he can be optimistic about this (and it is his life, afterall), then none of us have the right to mope.

• 2 weeks later...
Zardi

Have you been reading his blog? He has amyloidosis, which is a very serious illness, but he seems to have a very positive outlook, and I don't think that "brink of death" is the correct way of putting it at this point. I think that if he can be optimistic about this (and it is his life, afterall), then none of us have the right to mope.

because of my choice of wording, this seems to have taken a wrong turn. sorry, folks. i am happily/hopefully in remission of a health problem myself and i look at health in a manner of being more frank that those on the outside looking in. you have to.

one other thing...this is a public forum and people can voice themselves as they want unless the webmaster wants to tear that person down.

i can look at the assumption of wacky names and make believe ajahs and the like in the same manner as "moping" for an author.

i give over as its easier.

my implication was the man is ill and fighting for a stable condition. i've never gotten this involved with the author of a series of a work

Guest Egwene

I wish RJ well. His illness should have no bearing on this discussion. Any author of any book could be run over by a car tomorrow. There is never any guarantee that a person will be able to finish a project.

Mike: I think calling assumption of wacky names and make believe ajahs 'moping for an author', is missing the point of what people are doing entirely. Why don't you start a topic on this... you might be suprised...

ya luckers!(lol, I know that was a long way back) i think that the whole plot of all of the books IS immense, but thats what makes the book so good.Draven, If you dont like the wheel of time, then why are you a part of dragonmount? just becuase you lack the brain capacity to understand this series, doesnt make it a bad series. May I reccomend the The berstein bears?

Anyways, Id have to say that either the eye of the world, the fires of heaven or the shadow rising was my favoutie book, probably due to their Lenght.(except the eye of the world, that was short, but it was just packed full of goodness!)

ya luckers!(lol, I know that was a long way back) i think that the whole plot of all of the books IS immense, but thats what makes the book so good.Draven, If you dont like the wheel of time, then why are you a part of dragonmount? just becuase you lack the brain capacity to understand this series, doesnt make it a bad series. May I reccomend the The berstein bears?

Anyways, Id have to say that either the eye of the world, the fires of heaven or the shadow rising was my favoutie book, probably due to their Lenght.(except the eye of the world, that was short, but it was just packed full of goodness!)

I think a feature more indicative of a person's brain power is their ability to deal with concepts they don't agree with without resorting to sarcasm and ad homonym attacks. Had to be said.

I consider myself intelligent, and certainly have wondered why RJ has kept it going so long. In fact, I quit reading twice. Of course, I've also done two rereads since that time.

The length of a series does not indicate its quality, and endless detail is not always a good thing. Sometimes, like in art, it's important to know when to stop adding to the work.

My overall opinion is still out. I did like KoD a lot, but I felt it was a long overdue infusion of fun after putting up with the two books before it. Does that mean I'm incapable of understanding fine literature, or weary of endless pulp?

J

Draven, if you want to put RJ's books in perspective as to length, try reading Tolstoy. "war and Peace" spent the first 50 pages (in very small print) to describe the ballroom and the ball! Ugh! Compared to that, the entire WOT series is like a comic book.:wink:

This is a tendency that irritates me. I saw it with the Star Wars prequels, too. People tend to view them as individual books (or movies) without taking into account the whole picture.

Guest Egwene

I view each book as one chapter of a story... the build -up including the agonisingly slow CoT worked for me. I think once the series is finished, and you read it through without the waiting inbetween, CoT is going to be judged as building up the tension to a perfect pitch... before it's all go,go,go.

BUT... and it's a big one... think of any book you've ever read, and nine out of ten it is the finish that makes or breaks your opinion of it. So... the jury is still out 8)

Man, people are constantly trying to provoke me, aren't they? It's a conspiracy, I tell you! He, he, sorry about that...Regarding what Dai-whatever said about my brain power, I can'put it more eloquently than what Jedimuppet already said. And why is it out of place for me (e.g. "Why are you in Dragonmount?") to criticize a WOT-related topic when there are threads in this forums that discussed/discuss X-Men 3 and Harry Potter? Just trying to make a point. Besides, I still am a "fan" to some degree -- just not a Jordan-can-do-no-wrong type.

hehe looks like i'm a little late but i'll say what i reckon anyway.

i'm a fan of the wot series (or i probably wouldnt be here) but i have to admit there are more than some sections, even whole plotlines which could've been avoided. Most people i know who read the series nowadays only continue to read because they've been with it for so long. I've had teachers who were once avid fans of the series but have now stopped reading it altogether because of the sheer amount of filler, my brother did so for the same reason and many friends who are only really looking for closure now. But now that he has started so many plotlines and wasted so much time, the least he could do is end if not all then most of them (which sounds a little hard to achieve in one book). The length of the series is probably the only real criticism RJ gets and he's been getting it for some time.

if there is one epic fantasy series to throw in the trash it is the sword of truth. i have to say that books 3,6,9, and 10 of WoT could be 250 to 400 pages shorter each, but the series is like a chess game. and all the peices have to be in place for the epic final battle to be any good. and it better be good damnit!

• 1 month later...

I agree that some of the later books have been a bit drawn out but I dont seeany way to shorten them. Everything that has happened has significance to TG.

Mat had to be in ebou dar in order to meet Tuon and get married, though we dont know much of seanchan marriages it at least implies that there is now someone who can speak to the new empress directly in favour of joining the big fight. and if Faile had not been kidnapped & Perrin stared on his slow chase after her he would never have made the alliance with the Seanchan & Rand would still have a huge army of Aiel at his back when he needs to focus all his attention on the DO.

Its a series...I read it for entertainment, Sure RJ is great but it is true, It is way too long.

Any kid under 15 maybe bored out of his mind by book 7.

Adults who suck at reading drop the series at 10, they just don't care anymore!

I've read the whole thing so far and i admit i've skipped paragraphs and pages. But i still understand pretty much everything u guys write here.

I salute everybody, now pick this post apart!!!

Archived