DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

ROBERT JORDAN: Literary Wh0re

Draven

Robert just needs an Editor that will tell him NO once and a while. I assume TOR told him he could take his time with the story, so he did.

Now if said editor could clip a hundred pages or so from just about each book, that would be perfect.

No one reigns in Mr. Jordan it seems.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes' date=' those fools at Tor, giving a money making artist free rein, I can't believe the morons.

Does anyone have a napkin? I seem to have gotten some sarcasm on my shirt.[/quote']

Snippy today Robert?

Suggesting that the books could use 100 less pages to make everything flow doesn't make me evil.

Robert is quite Victor Hugo like. He has a tendancy to be TOO descriptive and kind of wander off in his storytelling.

If I didn't like that, I wouldn't get the books.

Seeing however as I like the book and have paid said money for them, I am allowed to suggest they could use a few less pages of needless description.

Naturally you have that right' date=' Ozzie. My supposed snippiness in no way deprived you of it.

I also have the right to think you, as well as everyone else who complains about the length, are silly.[/quote']

AH! There is the confusion.

My complaint is not about the lenght of the book or the number of pages in and of itself.

My complaint is the slight lack of focus on main plot points Robert can have. I love huge books. Georger RR Martin FTW! Heck, I have read the bible *3* times (<--- Private school Contests. Won 50 bucks each time) for cryin' out loud. The number of pages in something isn't the issue.

I really don't need to know half the stuff about the rooms people are talking in that I am forced to learn.

Again, The Wheel of Time is my favorite book series. That doesn't make it PERFECT. Martin seems to give enough description of things in his books in one-third of the word....... *Is killed off. No one's safe even TALKING about his books*

Oh c'mon now, the fact that we have to waint 2 years for each book contradicts your point. If RJ were a literary whore then he would be cranking a out crappy 200 page book every 6 months. What you are noticing is that the series has changed its tone and has gone from an adventure quest to more of a tale of political intrigue. It is only the natural progression as the adventerous kids from the first six books are growning up and becoming political figures. I'll agree that he has overdone the political intrigue a bit and and the later books could use a little more action. However, for my money its still the best modern fantasy epic out there.

Wow, I honestly can't believe that Dragonmount allows the title of this topic to remain the title, it's definitely a little rough on the poor guy. Personally I have enjoyed every page of every book each time that I have read them and I would rather read the whole series from the worse point of view possible with 1000 pages more of odds and ends thrown in than not have the series at all. If you read the books with an open mind instead of starting out thinking all I want to read is from Rand's point of view or all I want to read is the battle scenes you would see that each point of view from each chapter has a purpose and just like the Wheel weaves Robert Jordan weaves all of them together to give the reader just the right amount of information that makes the story what it is. If anything I would prefer there to be more points of view and more information than we already have. Everytime I get close to the end of a Wheel of Time book I am always wishing there was more somewhere, more about this incident or more about what this person thought. I just can comprehend wanting a series to be shorter than it is when it really isn't all that long now.

• 3 weeks later...

I completely agree that its taking him way to long to finish it. Every two years the next one comes out but always finishes without finishing the story!

:evil:

Its getting really annoying.

But it is good that he hasn't finished it yet considering there'd be nothing for me to b***h abt with my friends so it goes both ways.

i have wasted time, now time doth waste me-William Shakespeare

Eh, profit is what one can think of when thinking of the Harry Potter books and mania. I highly doubt that RJ is getting rich from publishing one book every year or two years. And if he does, congratulations to him!

In the end it is up to the buyers of the books to determine each for themselves how far they want to go in it. No one can force you to 'buy' a book you don't want. You can get them at the library, I think (I never get my books in libs, i always buy them, im greedy that way *shrugs*).

i started reading the books in 2002 because of a boyfriend who had them up to book 7 at the time. And I can totally relate to the person (sorry forgot your name) saying that maybe I should have waited till the last one was out to start reading the series.

The frustration isn't so much the length of the series, but the wait in between, I think. And in that wait we all have parts of the books that we would 'sacrifice' to get to the end faster, because we just want to know the rest of the story. I think that if the whole series would be read in one whole, much of this frustration wouldn't exist. But that's just me. I too have parts that I like less than others (the whole Faile/Perrin thing, I mostly skip that one).

As to authors making money...

From what I've heard, JK. Rowling started writing the Harry Potter books while she was dead poor in a vain attempt to 'maybe' make a few pounds to see her through a month or two. She struck gold...

All I can say to that is: Way to go, JK!

Why is it that no one seems to huff and puff when a bunch of guys get millions for running after a ball but when someone makes a decent living or even (the light forbids!!) has the nerve to get rich with writing then all of a sudden it's 'Ooooooooooooh, that rat!!'.

and on a different note....

*whacks everyone over da' head with a fluffy pillow who tries to compare any writer to JRR Tolkien* -- see my glare and shudder....

and on yet a different note....

yes, i'm 36 :p I use this internet thingy to unwind, relax, have fun and a place where I don't hàve to be in controle all the time. I prefer it to going to bars and getting bored out of my skull while drunks slobber all over me. ;)

and on a final note....

*whacks self over da' head with said pillow*

Learn to write smaller posts already!*

Archived