DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Towers of Midnight Speculation Thread (Spoilers for tGS)

JenniferL

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking he'd be wanting Tam to be absolutely sure that Rand wasn't any danger to him.

No, it is a nice sentiment and all, but no.

He is not stupid. He still knows he is the Dragon Reborn, and he wont turn all hippy. He will still distrust AS, and for good reason.

It wont be a compplete backflip, he will still be hard, just a bit more trusting and less balefiring things.

He would not risk being shielded by ANYONE, or risk being killed just because he wants Tam to feel safe.

If he did, Cadsuane would soon set him straight.

A foolish thing to do.

@mb: I don't think there are any viewings or dreams that signal Thom's survival, are there? And the only thing we have about Moiraine is that Min comments that her viewings about M are the only ones that have (apparently) failed.

Thom; Egwene had a Dream of him picking up Moiraine's stone.

That seems to be one indicator that Thom would rescue Moiraine from the Aelfinn & Eelfinn.  White tower Viewing, that might indicate that he would marry an Aes Sedia.  Channeling man Viewing (man juggling fire), that might indicate that he might have a channeling son.

Moiraine's Viewings have not been told, but several of her comments seem to indicate that she knew about a Viewing about her & Thom; likely that she & Thom would marry.

-Her comment about him being alive when going through the Ways with the Two Rivers folk.

-Her comment to Egwene/Nynaeve/Elayne that she knew the face of the man she would marry.

-Her comment to him that he would survive Tanchico.

She might have seen something when she tested for Accepted (which we'll likely never see, as it happened years before NS). I have a feeling, though, that she did have some experience to be covered in the prequels (should the other two get published) that explains her "knowing" that she'd marry Thom. I would guess that her first visit to the Green Man would be seen in one of the prequels...at least I'd hope so.

Is it possible that Moiraine found out that she would marry Thom the first time she visited the Green Man?

Green Man's knowledge seems to be limited to people's pasts.

And I am not sure if she would have seen such things (or anything) in the Eye since it seems to be activated by only saidin channelers.

She might have seen something when she tested for Accepted

If it was from that test, she might not have been as certain.

And it would be unlikely that she would still remember during the first books of the main series.

Either she got the info from the Tear Finn door or the Rhiudean rings. Not sure when she said the husband quote though.

The first two comments were made before she went through the Aelfinn door.  Though I doubt Moiraine would have asked about it.

Rhuidean trip was after all 3 comments.

yea, Min has said that she sometimes knows when two people are going to get married just by seeing them together, she said in KoD that she saw lots of things about Moraine that did not come true because she "died".  I always assumed that it was her and thom she saw married

@mb: I don't think there are any viewings or dreams that signal Thom's survival, are there? And the only thing we have about Moiraine is that Min comments that her viewings about M are the only ones that have (apparently) failed.

Thom; Egwene had a Dream of him picking up Moiraine's stone.

That seems to be one indicator that Thom would rescue Moiraine from the Aelfinn & Eelfinn.  White tower Viewing, that might indicate that he would marry an Aes Sedia.  Channeling man Viewing (man juggling fire), that might indicate that he might have a channeling son.

Moiraine's Viewings have not been told, but several of her comments seem to indicate that she knew about a Viewing about her & Thom; likely that she & Thom would marry.

-Her comment about him being alive when going through the Ways with the Two Rivers folk.

-Her comment to Egwene/Nynaeve/Elayne that she knew the face of the man she would marry.

-Her comment to him that he would survive Tanchico.

If I understood you correctly, you said that Thom & Moiraine are unlikely to die because of various dreams and viewings. I agree about Moiraine, and that viewing of Thom pulling Moiraine's stone out of the fire certainly indicates he will succeed in the ToG rescue, but does not (IMO) guarantee his survival thereafter. Your interpretation of Min's EotW vieweings of Thom are as stretched as my own crazy ideas.. ;)

I know that Moiraine said she knew the face of the man she would marry (tSR Ch6), but this was before her trip to Rhuidean. Things may well have changed. (Talking of crazy theories.. ;)  )

I highly doubt Thom will die, he's like Mat too much fun to kill.

i agree. but i hope some of the main characters die at least *cough elayne cough*  so it isnt like LotR where everything was okay. i want it to be bittersweet. some people dying heroic deaths. RJ was so good at writing good deaths. like Morr. he wasnt even a major character and his death nearly brought me to tears

i agree. but i hope some of the main characters die at least *cough elayne cough*  so it isnt like LotR where everything was okay. i want it to be bittersweet. some people dying heroic deaths. RJ was so good at writing good deaths. like Morr. he wasnt even a major character and his death nearly brought me to tears

I think Thom will die, its because he is likable that he will die to rip the tears out of the fans

the only problem with elayne dying is that egwene had that dream about the 3 women on the boat with rand and one pointed to elayne.  and i am pretty sure that that dream is about after tarmon gaidon (sp?)

the only problem with elayne dying is that egwene had that dream about the 3 women on the boat with rand and one pointed to elayne.  and i am pretty sure that that dream is about after tarmon gaidon (sp?)

I am pretty sure it's not (and it was a dream of Melaine and Bair, not Egwene...backed up by a Nicola Foretelling).  Otherwise the future shouldn't depend on his return.  But in any case, we know Elayne will survive long enough to have her kiddies.

k here is what i am talking about

“The lion sword, the dedicated spear, she who sees beyond. Three on the boat, and he who is dead yet lives. The great battle done, but the world not done with battle. The land divided by the return, and the guardians balance the servants. The future teeters on the edge of a blade.”

—Nicola Treehill, Lord of Chaos, Chapter 14

so what i was saying was i think it unlikely that elayne dies since i think she is the lion sword being talked about, this is very Arthurian, after the battle where arthur is very badly wounded he is put on a boat with 3 women to go to Avalon to wait for when the world needs him again.  Soooo yes i guess elayne could fall off the boat and drown, fingers crosses hahah jk   

If I understood you correctly, you said that Thom & Moiraine are unlikely to die because of various dreams and viewings.

My opinion was that they would not stay dead.  I used words "unless they are resurrected shortly after".

Your interpretation of Min's EotW vieweings of Thom are as stretched as my own crazy ideas.. ;)

At this point, there has not yet been confirmation or denial (from the books or from either author) of any interpretation of his viewings.

I think Thom will die, its because he is likable that he will die to rip the tears out of the fans

Death of any character would be based solely on the notes; not on fan reaction nor on anything else.

Quote from: Durinax on Today at 01:07:50 PM

Death of any character would be based solely on the notes; not on fan reaction nor on anything else.

I meant that he has been built up to be so likeable so that when he dies it will bring a bigger reaction and will be more profound in terms of the impact of the stories

k here is what i am talking about

“The lion sword, the dedicated spear, she who sees beyond. Three on the boat, and he who is dead yet lives. The great battle done, but the world not done with battle. The land divided by the return, and the guardians balance the servants. The future teeters on the edge of a blade.”

—Nicola Treehill, Lord of Chaos, Chapter 14

so what i was saying was i think it unlikely that elayne dies since i think she is the lion sword being talked about, this is very Arthurian, after the battle where arthur is very badly wounded he is put on a boat with 3 women to go to Avalon to wait for when the world needs him again.   Soooo yes i guess elayne could fall off the boat and drown, fingers crosses hahah jk   

Yeah, I knew what you were talking about.  As I said, Melaine and Bair had a dream (also in LOC) saying pretty much the same thing.  I'm saying Nicola's 'great battle' probably does not refer to the Last Battle as everyone assumes.  If the Last Battle was done, then Rand's body should not be so important.  More likely the 'great battle' is the Battle of Caemlyn.  And while I believe Rand's death will be very Arthurian, it won't follow the legends exactly.  My guess is that the prophecies concerning Rand and a funeral pyre suggest that his body will be burned, and that the body on the boat will be his new body that was ripped out of Tel'aran'rhiod.  That's why the women are central to the prophecies; they have to bond him again to save him from death as Elayne saved Birgitte.

• 1 month later...

Okay so i know that i have always wanted a lot of characters to die but i just finished Mockingjay by suzzane collins the other day and

Massive spoilers for Hunger games ahead

ANd finnick and prim die who are some of my fav characters ever in books!!! like Finnick was up there with Mat!! so i was soo upset and i hope only elayne dies. maybe egwene. but not mat or perrin.

I know not very many people know what the Hunger Games are and thats okay. good series tho, highly recommended.

Archived