DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Venting

I am having a vent after something just happened with me and my little sister.

The horrible child just gave me a really funny look when she went past my room into the bathroom, so I went to ask her what the look was for... not in a nasty way, I just wondered what I had done. She then proceeded to be not very nice and went to kick the door shut, not giving me time to get my head out of the way. So I had the door shut on my head, which really hurt... and still does. I don't know what I did but I've only been home for 2 days and she is already picking fights... this is going to be a fun summer, I can tell  :(

Does anyone else have problems with their siblings?

Well, that explains it right there . . . she's 16!

I don't know that I'd agree with the "it's better to have an older sibling."  I'm the youngest and my sister was not fun to grow up with!  My oldest is a lot like her so I feel for my youngest sometimes, though he is starting to stand up for himself lately.

Crystal, you were off at college and your little sister was the reigning queen at home, and possibly used your bedroom whenever she wanted.  With you back home for the summer, she is back in the number two spot, and she resents it.  That is what I think the problem might be.  My two little sisters have seven years between them, so they are a little like you and your little sister.  I think you might give her some personal space.  Maybe some of the other AS here will be in a better position to advise you on this personal matter. 

I'm sorry to hear that your sister is acting like that.  Try talking to her when she's in a calm mood instead of when she's already riled up, since she may be more likely to misinterpret your intent when her emotions are ruling her.  Also, when you ask her what is wrong, make sure your tone conveys concern and care instead of a "WTF are you giving me that look for?" type of tone.

Like most siblings, my younger brother and I got into our fair share of disagreements when we were young.  We are incredibly close now, though.  A lot of it has to do with age and maturity.

I used to have sibling troubles by virtue of us being siblings, however, I get along with both of them really well now that we're all starting to get past our teen years. Give her a few years and you'll hopefully find things getting a lot better between the bunch of you.

Aww that sucks, I'm sorry about that (and I mean both the fight and the head in the door - my little brother once accidentally slammed a car door on my head, and it hurt, my ear was pointy and black and blue :(). Growing up, especially when we were teenagers, me and my sister didn't get along very well, she thought I was an immature brat (which I was :P), and I thought she was a know-it-all snob (which she was). Now that we're both young adults though (21 and 24) we get along and we're great friends. So I guess what I'm saying is, things will probably get better eventually? As for this summer, if her mood doesn't improve, you might be best just trying to avoid her, I'm afraid.

*hugs* Hope it all gets better, though! Definitely don't let it ruin your summer.

Thanks for the advice guys, I was really angry about it earlier, but reading back I'm finding it quite amusing about my head being shut in the door... it really wasn't at the time, but it is now!

Yeah I know it's probably just her age, but I swear it been 'just her age' for years! I think part of the problem is she very easily takes things the wrong way, and doesn't give me much chance to explain things... she is very stubborn.

Burs I think your probably right, I think she maybe resents he fact that I am back for the whole summer, which I wasn't last year I stayed in Bournemouth, I haven't been at home for this length of time since 2 summers ago before I started uni.

I've generally learnt from both my mum and my older sister's mood swings that I should just carry on as normal and leave them to it, they come round eventually.

I have problems with my little brother too. I used to think it was "just his age," but...he's 23! When does it stop being an age thing?

We lived together for two years in college, and it was a nightmare. He would make huge messes in the kitchen and refuse to clean it, or he would expect me to drop everything I was doing to drive him across town (even though I asked him for advance notice when he wants a ride somewhere), or at the slightest provocation would launch into a very long lecture about my personality flaws (calling it a "discussion," but refusing to let me get a word in). And by "slightest provocation," I mean things that wouldn't really bother a normal person. Once it happened after I asked him to stop tapping his highlighter on the desk, cuz it was driving me batty. Another time it happened because I was starting to point out the car window while we were stuck in traffic. As I was moving my hand, he turned his head toward me, so his head and my hand collided. It was as much his "fault" as it was mine, but all I heard about for the next half hour was how I had "beat him up" and what a b-word I was. He'd been in a great mood right before that...we had been laughing and joking around with each other. It's almost as if he enjoys fighting with people, so he tries his best to get offended at any little thing. I don't get it.

He apparently did this to our parents as well his last two years of high school, so at least it isn't just me. :P

*screams*

Wow. Just wow. If my sisters or I had tried any of this crap on each other, our parents would have had the hide off of us!  :o

We're 5 girls (I'm the youngest by 9 years), but there were never of these "teenage tantrums". One smack on the bottom and a reminder to keep a civil tongue in your head and not act like a self-indulgent 4 year old sorted that out.

Just a comforting thought - even at the ages of 89 and 91, sisters can still cause trouble! ;) I just need to look at my 2 great aunts (and grandmother before she passed away earlier this year). Mischief was never that far away from one...

Oh dear, Corki that doesn't give me much hope!

Zardi what you said about your brother sounds quite a bit like my sister, she can be very volitle sometimes... she seems to get on fine with my older sister most of the time.

Elgee I wish it was the same for us, but I think my mum has just given up a bit, my older sister and I think that Phillippa could probably kill one of us and mum would just say... 'well she probably deserved it'!! Lol I know that's a bit extreme but she never gets told off... it's so frustrating sometimes!

Ouch :-\ It's not quite that bad with my parents. They don't stick up for my brother, but at the same time, they don't do anything about him. My mom avoids confrontation (she prefers using the cold shoulder or giving in, rather than getting into any discussion that might get heated), and my dad's tactic for dealing with him is to let him say whatever he wants ::)

We got smacks on the bottom when we were little, but after a certain age that didn't happen anymore. I don't think they ever really worked for my brother anyway.

I find it frustrating sometimes that she gets different treatment just because she is younger... I hate the way people say 'it's because she the baby'... yes but she is also 16 years old, not much of a baby anymore!

I don't know... maybe it's just middle child syndrome :-\ and I shouldn't complain so much.

I used to have issues with my brother... but once he hit 18 we just started getting along. I can't really explain it. And as it stands now, I always love having him around.

My sister... well, we used to get along better when we were younger but since we started living together in a flat close by to Uni... well, that sort of caused some friction :P  But I think it's more of a personal space thing rather than sister related.

Though really, I think I'm the problem in the equation. I'm not so easy to get along with lol  And it doesn't help that I can get VERY stubborn.  >.>

I hope it gets better for you, though.

Nyn

Archived