DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Sword of Truth

I liked the first two, but the story seemed to rapidly get bogged down, and his consistently changing the whole world to create new story-arcs began to aggravate me.  I suspect he appeals to a different type of reader than most who enjoy RJ's work.  I guess just count yourself lucky that you appreciate both, and thus have a wealth of books to enjoy!  Honestly, what do you care what everyone on these boards thinks about those books?  If you enjoy them, do so, and I'm sure you can find other boards to discuss them, and use this to discuss WoT, yeah?

Sorry I couldn't help more though in terms of directing you to one of those boards, but I'm sure they're not hard to find.

I enjoyed the sword of truth series, with the exception of the final ending to the series.  I never understood what Jordan's problem with Goodkind was.  As for the statement that it was a ripoff of his own work, that's funny,  being that WOT is a ripoff of LOtR.

I enjoyed the sword of truth series, with the exception of the final ending to the series.  I never understood what Jordan's problem with Goodkind was.  As for the statement that it was a ripoff of his own work, that's funny,  being that WOT is a ripoff of LOtR.

And Dune.

I'M A FAN!  ;D

I enjoyed all of SoT series for what it was. It read to me like popcorn fantasy with same interesting philosophical discussions. I didn't agree with everything he said, but I've read similar philosophies in Hienlien and Rand, so I understood his position.

What I liked about SoT was his ability to write heart-pounding action and some really effectively brutal drama. While the end of the last book was kind of disappointing because I had been waiting for a Richard Jagung battle-royale slaughter-fest, I thought it fit with the overall philosophy of the series.

I even watch the tv series which I'm always yelling at for not following the books (like Darken Rahl being Richard's brother.... what?! I mean can't we at least get that relationship right?!) But I have fun with it cause it's less heavy handed than the books and has some good action and is very popcorny.

So yes, there are fans of SoT here, but they're few. Goodkind's site has most of them.

I even watch the tv series which I'm always yelling at for not following the books (like Darken Rahl being Richard's brother.... what?! I mean can't we at least get that relationship right?!)

Hahaha! I bet the nice lawyers from Lucasfilm called.

I got excited about the TV show when I found out about it, and set aside some time to watch it . . . and it sucked so bad I almost cried. 

Although the Mord Sith outfit was all that I imagined it was.

Still did not make up for the sucking.  I mean, it sucked bad.  very bad.  very very bad.  freaking unwatchable bad. 

I think Darken Rahl may have fibbed to Janus(?) about them being brothers because he knows her mom said her father was a right bastard.  And in the Books Darken Rahl loved his father.

I was more upset about Micheal being a good guy and Giller being a bad guy.

And the people are not as ruthless as they are in the books.

Serious Fan here! :)

Admittingly I actually preferred it over the WoT series for YEARS... (until I actually sat down and read all the WoT and decided they are on par -for different reasons than many may assume).

I even belong to a SoT Site that might interest you if you're up for discussions and the like! - midlandstoday.net

Tell 'em "Kaira" sent you. :)

Is there any one else here that actually like the Sword of Truth books and do not believe they are just a rip off of WoT. I am getting sick of people bagging it.

P.S. I know that RJ himself had negative thoughts about it.

If it helps, whilst I hate the books I do so for reasons totally unrelated to them being influenced by Wheel of Time in any way.

I like the SoT books - much more so than WoT. I find WoT plods along, unlike SoT. I prefer the SoT characters over WoT characters. But that is my view, and I respect people whose view is to put it the other way around.

While people comment that SoT is a rip-off of WoT (and I feel rip-off is the wrong word), you must remember there are many core requirements to fantasy (for example, magic, good vs. evil, beasts, love interest). You can go back to the earliest fantasy stories/poems/novels ever and will see these core requirements. Take The Odyssey for example.

- magic --> Circe the witch

- good vs evil --> Odysseus and the suitors

- beasts --> the Cyclops

- love interest --> Penelope's 20 year wait for her husband, Odysseus

As a Classicist, I could put a strong case for Goodkind, Jordan, Tolkien et al. as being influenced by the ancient texts. And some people believe that Lucian (c. A.D. 125 – after A.D. 180) is the earliest sci-fi author.

As for those disappointed with the TV series, remember that it was clearly stated they would not be based on the books (if that is your issue). So don't get up tight about that. And from the bits I have seen (as it is not out in the UK yet), it looks good - much better than some of the stuff we get here in the UK (Robin Hood, for example).

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention was my re-reads. I actually loathe the idea of a WoT re-read. I have never done it as I consider it to be a labourious task. SoT, on the other hand, I have re-read on many an occasion.

After Faith of the Fallen (which I think is one of the best books in the genre) I got the feeling that Terry Goodkind was making it up as he went along.

Rules that were supposed be unbreakable no longer applied, he had no idea what Richard did in Pillars of Creation that had to be addressed in Naked Empire, that whole thing with Chainfire, and they way the last three books went were inconsistent with the first half of the series.

But I really liked the first half, except maybe Soul of Fire.

I'm currently about 1/4 into the first book, and while the writing and general story isn't nearly as well put-together as WoT or ASoIaF, it is still a good story in my opinion.  But I don't know if I've read far enough into it to have a true opinion yet. 

I must also say that I've never read anyone's work who writes as well as RJ.  He's a legend... By far my favorite author. 

I am huge fan of both WoT & SoT and to be honest this is the first time that I'm hearing that Goodkind was ripping off (I agree rip-off is wrong term) Jordan.

Yes, there are similarities, but that is unavoidable in the fantasy genre, Just as Corki said.

There are things I like & dislike about both.

RJ took the next step when it came describing the way things looked. From clothes to buildings to cities, He made it seem as if you were actually there. The problem i saw with that was the 4th book he repeated somethings so many times it got to be more annoying than helpful.

Goodkind is great at coming up with a new trial for Richard & Kahlan to overcome in each book, but as friend explained it to me once, he seemed to try & find a new way to screw their lives together over in each book which could old to some, not me personally though.

Admittedly both things could be said about both books, but it all based on personal opinion. I would & have told many people that both series are worth the time to read.

And as for the show, I must admit that I was among the group of people who wanted it to follow the books. I understand they can't exactly follow them but they have tried to get it at least a little closer to the books than it is. I still find that I enjoy them if I keep the mantra "different universe" in my mind as I watch.  ;D

I really liked SoT at first, but the more I read, the more I found wrong with it.  There were too many inconsistancies for me after a certain point.  The last book was a HUGE cop-out IMHO.  I don't think that TG ripped off RJ at all...fantasy books have similarities--that's all.

I won't read it again, and I won't recommend it to anyone I consider a friend...

I am with the haters out there.  It was one of the worst series every written.  After the first 3 books, the rest started by rehashing out the old books(which gets annoying when you are a grown up and just want to know the story b/c you've already read through the other books).  Then it is also becomes too preachy.  I understand he feels a certain way but I don't need him to announce those same feelings in every book in every chapter!  It was an annoying read at the end and I'm glad I didn't read any of the chain fire books.  The series as a whole gets a negative 10 stars from me.  His endings were always great, if only there was a way to just skip to the end...

I got excited about the TV show when I found out about it, and set aside some time to watch it . . . and it sucked so bad I almost cried. 

Although the Mord Sith outfit was all that I imagined it was.

Still did not make up for the sucking.  I mean, it sucked bad.  very bad.  very very bad.  freaking unwatchable bad. 

But....but....but....what about Bridget Regan?  I kept proposing to the TV screen, but she never answered me.  :'(

On the other hand, my wife had a few choice words for me.  :-\

But....but....but....what about Bridget Regan?  I kept proposing to the TV screen, but she never answered me.  :'(

On the other hand, my wife had a few choice words for me.  :-\

Yes, she is very, very, very, very nice.  I like me some red heads.

My complaint about the books has nothing to do with it "ripping off" Wheel of Time.  I don't think it did, though there are some similarities.  However, those similarities tend to be common in the fantasy genre, and should not be held against Goodkind anymore than you would hold it against Jordan.

Instead, my complaint is the guy seemed to only kind of want to write fantasy.  He seemed to have a half formed idea in his head for the first book, and sat down to write it.  More important to him, as he got going, was his political philosophy.  That was the real overarching story of the books, not actually the plot.

As I look at it, the books go something like this.  There is a barrier that might or might not be known about that begins to fail.  This introduces a new immediate problem for Richard.  In order to solve said problem, Richard needs to learn how to use some form of magic that has either been lost for centuries or has never been done before.  Using this form of magic winds up breaking down yet another barrier that might or might not have been known.  Repeat.  This formula continues until Faith of the Fallen, where Goodkind reaches the epic climax of the story he really wanted to tell, which was that of his political philosophy.  The book was great, did what he wanted it to do, and seemed to pretty much wrap up his story.  At that point, he should have come out with one more book, finished the rest of the story, and be done with it.  Instead, he draws it out for no apparent reason.  Since he's already finished making his point, he can only have his characters repeat the same points he's already made, again, and again, and again, and again, and again, etc. 

The story is going no where because it seems he doesn't actually know what he wants to do with it, the reason he started writing the series is finished, and he just won't let it die.  If it ended the next book after Faith of the Fallen I would have called it a good series.  Not a great series, but a good enjoyable series, is somewhat formulaic.  Since he dragged it out, the series sucks.  What is the point of a series that you can't see the end to?  If the first few books are good, but then there is no, and I repeat no, redeemable value in book after book after book before it finally ends, does that make a good series?  Anyway, those are my complaints about the books.

My complaint about the books has nothing to do with it "ripping off" Wheel of Time.  I don't think it did, though there are some similarities.  However, those similarities tend to be common in the fantasy genre, and should not be held against Goodkind anymore than you would hold it against Jordan.

Instead, my complaint is the guy seemed to only kind of want to write fantasy.  He seemed to have a half formed idea in his head for the first book, and sat down to write it.  More important to him, as he got going, was his political philosophy.  That was the real overarching story of the books, not actually the plot.

As I look at it, the books go something like this.  There is a barrier that might or might not be known about that begins to fail.  This introduces a new immediate problem for Richard.  In order to solve said problem, Richard needs to learn how to use some form of magic that has either been lost for centuries or has never been done before.  Using this form of magic winds up breaking down yet another barrier that might or might not have been known.  Repeat.  This formula continues until Faith of the Fallen, where Goodkind reaches the epic climax of the story he really wanted to tell, which was that of his political philosophy.  The book was great, did what he wanted it to do, and seemed to pretty much wrap up his story.  At that point, he should have come out with one more book, finished the rest of the story, and be done with it.  Instead, he draws it out for no apparent reason.  Since he's already finished making his point, he can only have his characters repeat the same points he's already made, again, and again, and again, and again, and again, etc. 

The story is going no where because it seems he doesn't actually know what he wants to do with it, the reason he started writing the series is finished, and he just won't let it die.  If it ended the next book after Faith of the Fallen I would have called it a good series.  Not a great series, but a good enjoyable series, is somewhat formulaic.  Since he dragged it out, the series sucks.  What is the point of a series that you can't see the end to?  If the first few books are good, but then there is no, and I repeat no, redeemable value in book after book after book before it finally ends, does that make a good series?  Anyway, those are my complaints about the books.

Well put!

Vainebekonnes pretty much nailed it. I really liked the first two books. Goodkind had some cool ideas, and they hadn't been repeated to death yet like they were later in the series. Book 3 was all right, and so was book 4. Book 5 really started to go downhill, but then book 6 (Faith of the Fallen) was fantastic, if a bit overlong. After that, though, the series went completely to crap. I still sometimes recommend the series to people, as most people I know that have read it do like the first few.

Archived