DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Galad Vrs Rand

Furthermore, Galad does practice his training a lot.  Note Gawyn's statements how he has to practice harder because Galad beat Hammar and Coulin three times out of five.  It seems that Galad tries to improve his sword play.  Also witness Pedron Niall's thoughts about Galad.  Niall said Galad was becoming a very good officer, even on his way to being the best officer that the WC ever had.

Galad has a lot of natural talent.  He pays attention in "class" so he doesn't have to do a lot of studying on his own.  There are people who go through school not doing any outside studying, aside from their homework, who get straight A's.  They soak up what they are told during the every day stuff that they don't need to study up for a test. 

Galad is one of those people.  During their training times under the warders Galad get what they show him right the first time because he pays attention and is super smart so outside of class he doesn't need to do any extra training to get the forms right.  With books he doesn't need to read a chapter three times to remember the information, he learns it the first time.

And as for him being an officer.  His charisma and confidence makes him a natural leader.  He doesn't abuse his authority.  When he taught a new job he needs to do for his duty he learns it right the first time, and gets his duties done first thing.

Galad isn't a slacker, but he isn't a perfectionist, he forgives himself for the few mistakes he makes because he knows he isn't perfect but he doesn't try to be the best at what he does either. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Be the only heir of Tigrain and Luc Mantear he would have inherited their estates and the estates of his Queen Grandma Mantear.
No. Any estates associated with the crown passed to Morgase, any with House Mantear to the heir of that House - the current High Seat is Lord Perival Mantear.
Plus he would have inherited his share of Taringail's estates after he died, and he would have had his own estates.
Your basis for any of that?

I seemed to get the impression that Galad would be the better swordsman from the books. (We have to, surely, assume that Rand doesn't have his many advantages before making this comparison, by the way.)

Galad always seems to have superlatives used about him - we know Gawyn is pretty awesome, but Galad was originally much better (of course, Gawyn may have grown more than Galad; the Younglings formation must have got him experienced, fast, and Galad's training with the Whitecloaks can't be to the same level as the Warders'.) Galad, though maybe not named so outrightly, is implied to be the best student of the Warders in generations, and what we see of him as a Whitecloak is pretty positive. To be honest, I was surprised Valda even gave him a run for it, from what we'd heard about Galad beforehand, but I guess Valda was also exceptionally good, as well as being stronger, more experienced, and with fewer reservations about killing his opponent.

The arguments about him being too soft, or "not having enough mettle" to go against Rand are wrong - training with the Warders, and then living a soldier's life with the Whitecloaks are going to make him hard enough. I'm not saying he's as hard and determined as Rand, but I think that it would only be relevant if Galad was soft, and he isn't.

Rand is obviously a very good swordsman (Pre-hand-losing), and a blademaster by now, certainly. Lan's student he may be, but Lan is still far superior, and Gawyn/Galad can beat the next best of the Warders. Rand's sword training regime is comprehensive, but that is all Galad did at the White Tower.

Both have seen action in battles and against other Blademasters (which both have narrowly won/been the better at), and I think that Galad would just be the better swordsman, going on sword skills alone.

• 2 weeks later...

just pointing this out, Galad had alot more training than Rand.  Even before Galad went to the white tower.  With the queens guards. 

And just pointing this out.  Rand is almost on par with Lan before losing hand.  When he sparred with Toram, (can't remember his name) inside the tent, right before the bubble of evil and getting stabbed by Fain,  He was holding his own.  As I recall the only reason he lost was the bubble of evil distracted Rand for a split second.  And later when Lan and Toram dueled, Toram had been able to mark Lan, something remarkably hard to do.

So I think the real quistion is, sense Rand and Toram were on par, and Toram was able to mark Lan.  Do we think Galad could mark Lan?

Personally I think it would be great to have a scene where it almost happens but then it does not come to that. That Galad learns they are brothers (and brothers-in-law of a sort), and fighting on the same side.

Sorry if I am off-topic! :D

Honestly can't remember, But doesn't Rand and Galad share the same father, but different mothers?

Personally I think it would be great to have a scene where it almost happens but then it does not come to that. That Galad learns they are brothers (and brothers-in-law of a sort), and fighting on the same side.

Sorry if I am off-topic! :D

Honestly can't remember, But doesn't Rand and Galad share the same father, but different mothers?

No Same mother, different Father. There half brothers. Rand's father is Jandin and Galad's is Taringail, but there mother is the same, Tigraine. Boy would that give Elayne a shock or what?

but say if they do not fight with swords?

This entire line of speculation is absurd, in my opinion.

Rand points, things die, sometimes before Rand even points.

But, unarmed combat? Rand. Remember that he trained in the Aiel form of unarmed combat while sitting in Rhuidean. I don't know how much of an impediment missing one hand would be, but actually being trained in unarmed combat would outweigh the handicap.

Yes he beat the two Asha'man in Far Madding (killed one) without his sword while they were armed.

No Same mother, different Father. There half brothers. Rand's father is Jandin and Galad's is Taringail, but there mother is the same, Tigraine. Boy would that give Elayne a shock or what?

Elayne has already commented on his resemblance to Tigraine early on in the series, not sure when.

Mat beat Galad and Gawyn combined when he was too sick and weak. Mat's da was better at the quarterstaff and the times Abell did not win competitions at Bel Tine was when Tam al'Thor did. So if Tam passed on any of his skills with the quarterstaff on to Rand, then Galad would stand little chance, sword or not.

Valda was exceptional, even for a blademaster.  Valda had to win against a string of proven blademasters (each of whom had to beat other whitecloak blademasters, etc).  Galad barely survived, and would not have if Valda hadn't toyed with him.

Rand isn't bad, he has reach, endurance and strength over Galad.  But Rand wasn't as good as Toram whom Lan killed within seconds.

I'd say a tough call, but odds are on Rand.  But there must be hundreds of seasoned fighters better than either one of them.  Simply go to the border nations where killing is a way of life.

Sorry, but Lan would woop both Rand and Galad......at the same time.

Lan is a badass and in my opinion the single most dangerous man in all of WoT.

If Lan had the ability to channel, he would be unbeatable by anyone save the Dark One himself.

• 2 months later...

If Lan had the ability to channel, he would be unbeatable by anyone save the Dark One himself.

do u know who were the 1st 2 blademasters?

Be'lel was an advocate and a friend of Lews Therin Telamon. Together, they revived the ancient and forgotten art of swordfighting.

after the merging of minds is done

i doubt even lan would stand much chance except in his wound broke open or the issues with rand's eyes present real trouble

No, because we haven't been told. Be'lal and Lews Therin, while they might have been good with a sword, were not Blademasters as the term is understood in the Third Age. Also, being the first does not automatically make one the best.

No, because we haven't been told. Be'lal and Lews Therin, while they might have been good with a sword, were not Blademasters as the term is understood in the Third Age. Also, being the first does not automatically make one the best.

Be'lel speach TDR chapter 55 i think bears out what i have said

i reread it

if u would reread it and see what u think?

No. Rand is quite ultimate, could probably take more damage than Lan by now and that would mean something, and Galad is all grace and feminine and Elf-equivalent. Im looking forward to his bit in TGS where he does some "cool sword stuff." Lan is better than either, but not much better than Rand and I'd probably say the same difference is between Rand and Gawyn. Lan would be good at fighting two foes but between them Rand and Galad wouldnt be that bad at two-versus-one. Lan would lose against both together, or its unrealistic as hell.

By now Rand is equivilent if not better than Lan (especially since rand is also proficient (Aiel standards) in unarmed and spear fighting) all the times we see rand and lan duel some interferring factor has come in and changed the dynamic. As well against Toram Rand was holding his own even with restricting factors (coat gloves) and he was not super focussed because he quickly noticed the 'bubble of evil' whereas toram did not, meaning that Rand was not focussing and thus kind of toying with Toram.

Rand vs. Galad would be like the recent Silva vs Griffin UFC 101 fight

Archived