DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Galad Vrs Rand

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Galad would win because he has two hands to Rand's one. If Rand were  not sick and had both his hands, I think he would beat Galad.

Yes. Technically, Rand was a blademaster since the Great Hunt since he killed Turak. However, not that many people are aware of that.

In any fight however, Rand has pretty much the advantage as Davram Bashere pointed out in the first chapter of LoC: What's the point of swords when you can channel your opponent out of existence.

Galad would win because he has two hands to Rand's one

He said before he lost his hand.

Rand all the way, no question about it. Rand can handle being run through if it gives him an opportunity to strike; not many people can withstand pain like that. Makes you wonder just how much damage it would take to knock Rand down really

You know, it's an interesting thought--Rand has basically made the choice to give up his hand, and possibly his eyesight, in exchange for whatever information he can get out of her....  She better spill something useful, FAST.

I wonder, if she were to tell him something important, and THEN he balefired her back to before losing his hand, would he still remember what she said?  IIRC, the memories of what she'd said would still exist, even though she technically would never have said them, right?  (sorry if that's confusing).

Also, while Rand has PROBABLY been a blademaster since Falme, I wonder if many people would necessarily consider him so on this side of the Aryth Ocean, seeing as how the standards for being a Blade master may be different on either side of the Ocean, as Turak suggested might be possible.  Indeed, the fact that Rand was so quickly able to defeat Turak once he assumed the Void suggests that either Turak wasn't at the level that many other blademasters we've seen are at (witness Lan's ability to defeat Rand easily during training in spite of his use of the Void), or that something 'special' was aiding Rand--e.g. some of LTT's innate skill was already leaching over, or he was subconsciously channneling at the time.  I do think Rand would almost certainly win--I'm pretty sure he's got LTT's skills at this point, and that's probably more years of sword training (originally as a sport) than Galad's been alive.  Also, Titan's got a good point--while I'm impressed with Galad's ability to intentionally take wounds during his fight with Valda, he's got nothing on Rand in the 'withstanding pain to achieve your duty' department.  So yeah, even without channeling, I'd give it to Rand all the way.

I wonder, if she were to tell him something important, and THEN he balefired her back to before losing his hand, would he still remember what she said?  IIRC, the memories of what she'd said would still exist, even though she technically would never have said them, right?  (sorry if that's confusing).

Wow that's a really interesting point, didn't think of that, oh and Rand could also kill two warders quicker than they could act after being kept in a box all day so he is pretty damn good. Also Galad would have looked stupid if he'd been deliberately slowing down as we all know he was in an attempt to kill Valda and then he'd been decapitated that would have been hilarious if it had been 'Galad was thinking about his special new tactic and then Valda cut his head of' The end :)

First of all, people tend to think very low of Valdas skills as a blademaster, which, correct me if i am wrong, seems to be based on nothing but him being a darkfiend. He is a baldemaster after all, which means he got to have some skill with a sword. Galad beat him in one to one combat (he would have lost if Valda wasn't so haughty, but he was)

In "The fires of heaven" the part where Galad is starting a war to get a ship for Nynaeve and Elayne, he breaks a mob, without even breaking a sweat. None in this mob was a blademaster, but they still left Thom, Juilin and 9 or so Shinariens hard pressed holding back.

Galad was also the best (by a large margin) of the purpils under the warders in the white tower.

So i think that if Rand didn't channel, Galad would have a chance of beating Rand in a swordfight.

Sorry for the bad grammar, english isn't my main language.

Galad would win because he has two hands to Rand's one. If Rand were  not sick and had both his hands, I think he would beat Galad.

Yes. Technically, Rand was a blademaster since the Great Hunt since he killed Turak. However, not that many people are aware of that.

In any fight however, Rand has pretty much the advantage as Davram Bashere pointed out in the first chapter of LoC: What's the point of swords when you can channel your opponent out of existence.

The fight needs to be witnessed and attested to by another Blademaster in order for it to be official, so technically, no, he probably wasn't, although he likely possessed sufficient skill to be considered a Blademaster before losing his hand.

http://www.dragonmount.com/Faq/index.php?action=artikel&cat=12&id=23&artlang=en

I think it would be a good fight but Rand would come out on top. One reason not stated above is because he is Ta'veren and the Pattern is not done with him. The pattern would never let Galad kill Rand. Also the reason matcauthon999 stated, Rand mortally wounded one warder barehanded then took his sword and killed another before they could react, while being surrounded by their Aes Sedai. That a pretty large demonstration of skill.

Also I can't remember which book or the name of the dude, but Rand fought someone in a Tent at a party (before the fog came and killed people and Rand got slashed by fain). The person he was fighting was a blademaster and I remember somebody (Bashere?) saying "he really is a blademaster" referring to Rand.

The way i look at it is that Galad is the best swordsman out of all the "normal" people, but Rand is just on a different level than him, being a hero of the Ages and all. I mean you think Mat couldn't find a way to kill Galad or maybe even Perrin? Galad surely has more skill but could you really picture Galad killing one of them?

The person he was fighting was a blademaster and I remember somebody (Bashere?) saying "he really is a blademaster" referring to Rand.

It was Caraline Damodred commenting on it while Rand was sparring with Toram Riatin.

Even without the advantages Rand has I think he'd still beat Galad

Practice fighting is what Rand does in his free time to relax.  And he makes sure he has plenty of free time.  I think it won't be that long before he comes back to full strength one handed, so by the time him and Galad meet he will be "up to snuff."

BTW:  With Mat's memories I think he he were to pick up a sword he could beat Rand and Galad then take out Lan for the hat trick.

Also I can't remember which book or the name of the dude, but Rand fought someone in a Tent at a party (before the fog came and killed people and Rand got slashed by fain). The person he was fighting was a blademaster and I remember somebody (Bashere?) saying "he really is a blademaster" referring to Rand.

Yeah it was Caraline and he was fighting Toram Riatin and he had gloves on so he had poor grip cos he wanted to hide his dragons and he also had a coat on so that he couldn't move as fast for the same reason and the only reason he 'lost' was because someone screamed and he got hit in the back when he wasn't looking.

Mat couldn't find a way to kill Galad or maybe even Perrin? Galad surely has more skill but could you really picture Galad killing one of them?

/QUOTE

Mat has probably got more weapon skill than anyone alive,if you remember correctly he has already beaten Gawyn and Galad single handedly in a fight while still recovering from his illness before he even got all his memories and the Aiel remark on both Mat and Perrin's skill so they are pretty damn good and if Galad takes Faile Perrin could kill anyone.

Just pointing this out, but Warders aren't all Blademasters.  So Rand killing two of them with his bare hands doesn't really mean that much, though very impressive. 

And I think its very doubtful that Rand will learn the sword over again with his eye sight now. 

And Lan being able to Kick Rands trash when they spar isn't that surprisingly sense Lan is a blademaster, and he's the most skilled out of all the warders. 

Though Gawyen did kill Hammer, who was supposed to be the best Warder in the tower, and Galad is better than Gawyen.

I really think Galad would win, just because he can think of an overall strategy as opposed to a one move strategy that Rand uses.  When Rand fights its always described as  Offensive move meets a defensive move, theres no overall strategy but to prevent them hitting Rand or try to hit the other guy.  When Galad fought he was like. . . ok going to slow down my attacks and defense to throw him off gaurd, you never see Rand doing anything like that.

Offensive move meets a defensive move

Also known as a parry-riposte.

When fighter A attacks fighter B fighter B deflects the attack with a move called a parry, not just simply blocking it, then angles off the deflection to attack fighter A, called a riposte.

European fencing masters have stated that a good defense should be the opening moves of a good offense.  I don't know if Asian sword masters said the same thing but it seems likely. 

First of all, people tend to think very low of Valdas skills as a blademaster, which, correct me if i am wrong, seems to be based on nothing but him being a darkfiend.
He's not a Darkfriend.

The fight needs to be witnessed and attested to by another Blademaster in order for it to be official, so technically, no, he probably wasn't, although he likely possessed sufficient skill to be considered a Blademaster before losing his hand.

No, actually, Rand is already a Blademaster. In that same chapter, it was mentioned that killing the previous owner of the Heron-marked in combat earn the title too.

Though... I don't believe that Rand is that great. Enduring pain is one thing, being affected by the damage is another. Turak might be great, true, but that doesn't tell much. Just that Rand might be good enough. I also don't think beating Ishamael counts that much. In Falme, it's the One Power plus sword. And in Tear, it's the One Power. Not to mention that Ishamael is a more of a philosopher who knows how to fight than a warrior. And in Caemlyn in front of the nobles with hired soldiers, it's a half, if not more so, show.

Galad must be good indeed to be trained by Warders and come out as a top of the class. Though he lost to Mat, he won against Valda. That makes him even with Rand. Hmm... difficult.

I prefer Galad though. I like someone who is great without his super powers.

My money is on Rand (pre losing his hand). I do think him killing the two warders counts in his favour, since it shows how fast his reactions are in combat. Plus Rand has trained a great deal with the greatest Blademaster of all, Lan. His training with the aeil will also have helped his agility, his reactions and his general ability to fight. I know Galad is well trained too, but not to the same extent as Rand.

I think Rand must be at the absolute peak of physical fitness now (even more so than Galad). He's also the re-incarnation of Lews Therin, the greatest man of his age, so it's not surprising that he has shown a great deal of natural talent for the sword. I think if he put his mind to it and practiced enough, Rand could be among the best in the world at pretty much anything.

Add in Lews Therin's old memories, Rand's experience fighting against other Bladematers (Be'lal, Toram, Turak), Rand's high tollerance for pain and the ease with which he assumes the void, and he clearly has the edge over Galad.

Galad is an amazing swordsman for sure, especially for his age, but to me Rand just oozes deadliness. I don't see the pretty boy being able to take down Lan's student.

(Of course Mat would beat Rand, Galad or Lan with those crazy skills of his)

Something to keep in mind about Rand v Galad is Galad never had to work for anything in his life.

Be the only heir of Tigrain and Luc Mantear he would have inherited their estates and the estates of his Queen Grandma Mantear.  Plus he would have inherited his share of Taringail's estates after he died, and he would have had his own estates.  Combined with his thriftiness (for a noble) money is never a major concern for him as he is one of the richest nobles in Andor.  He'll propablly be bankrolling the Whitecloaks for the time being.

He has the Mantear brains and physicail ablity (which is also were the Mantears get their looks) so while he paid close attention in his lessons (for which he had the best tutors) he never had to do a lot of outside homework/practice to get top marks.  So his acedemic and combat skills came easy to him.

He also has major charisma so he doesn't have to work hard to be a good leader.

Because he doesn't need to spend a lot of time learn the important staff, he gets a very good grade on these things quite easily, he spends most of his off time chasing tail.

Then only challenge he has had was his fight with Valda.

While with Rand, he has had to work hard for everything he has, clawing his way to get what he needed and dealing with mountains of opistion.  His "off time" is spent studying or working on his swordsmanship and unarmed combat.

That combined with his Mantheren upbringing and his Aiel blood gives him a "don't quite" attitude.  Galad, on the other hand, has never had serious adveresity thrust upon him.  Galad just doesn't have the mettel to face off against Rand.

He kept rying to mack on Egwen in the Tower, he wouldn't leave "Elminildra" alone either.  In tFoH he asked Trom if they should go pick up some women and Trom replied with a "I have no chance with you around" type answer.  And the way he approached Galad implied that Galad is often talking to the pretty girls.

He's a bad as Mat, he's just more discreet and courtly about it.

He's a super hot, super rich, and super talented dude in his mid 20's.  The only reason men like that aren't out to get some is their either married, in a relationship, or gay and we know he's not into dudes.  The women would be lining up for him.

Galad just seems the almost monastic type with his study of the WC, I'm not sure if he's had any "conquests" as you put it. Just because girls are all but throwing themselves at him doesn't mean he's accepting the offers. I don't think he's the spoiled pampered rich kid playboy, he just doesn't act that way to me.

I'm not saying he's the type to kiss and tell, because he isn't, and he isn't arrogant either, nor does he brag about how cool he is.  And is outlook is like Mat's, "if she doesn't what anything to do with me, okay, I'll respect that" although he doesn't hit on anything pretty in a skirt. 

But what does he do in his spare time?

He doesn't gamble, race horses, or go coraousing like most young nobles, he doesn't have a high opion of those who do.  He doesn't practice his fighting skills or else he would have been a blademaster before he went to the tower.  He doesn't strut about saying, "I'm Galad Damodred, do what I say!"  And he isn't the bookish type either. 

What we have seen him do when he's free is hit on pretty ladies and ask them out.

He was "polite" to Min by asking her out to a dance, and commenting that those two louts she couldn't decide on marrying were, well, louts.

In FoH he suggested to Trom they go get some pretty girls.  Then Trom said he always strikes out when Galad is around.

And later when he goes to take Nyn and his sister to the ship that's waiting for them he is surprised that Birgitte isn't all that into him.

He was "polite" to Min by asking her out to a dance, and commenting that those two louts she couldn't decide on marrying were, well, louts.

Thus showing her the type of guy to look for.  This is innocent enough.

In FoH he suggested to Trom they go get some pretty girls.  Then Trom said he always strikes out when Galad is around.

It seems that Trom is the one who likes to try picking up girls.  He can't when Galad is around because the girls are too busy mooning over him to see Trom.

And later when he goes to take Nyn and his sister to the ship that's waiting for them he is surprised that Birgitte isn't all that into him.

He's used to girls being into him.  He's met the one who isn't...even Nynaeve breathes a little harder when he's around.

None of your points support your claim that he chases tail.

Furthermore, Galad does practice his training a lot.  Note Gawyn's statements how he has to practice harder because Galad beat Hammar and Coulin three times out of five.  It seems that Galad tries to improve his sword play.  Also witness Pedron Niall's thoughts about Galad.  Niall said Galad was becoming a very good officer, even on his way to being the best officer that the WC ever had.

Archived