DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

AMOL Part 1: The Gathering Storm Speculation

I always liked the thought that Elaida was the one who gentled Owyn.  It would be somehow fitting for Thom to get to do in Elaida in some way or another.  Knowing Thom, it might not be killing but rather ruining her in a way that puts her out of the picture forever and strengthens Egwene. 

For this book, here's what I would guess happens:

Book's prologue:  Elayne is crowned and Rand shows up to meet with her.  They discuss her coronation, Cairhien, her ripping down his banners, etc.  Finally she shows him their child.  Cut at this point to Matt and Thom and Jain Farstrider who are approaching the tower of Ghenji, they arrive and open it and go in.  Perrin and Faile are pursuing Masema and dealing with being awkward when they're warned of the approach of Whitecloaks.  Their visions of each other are growing as well, Rand, Perrin and Matt are sharing thoughts almost.

Things to have happen:

Rand visits the Black Tower and is horrified with what is happening.

Perrin meets up with Galad, who passes a sentence of death on Perrin but Perrin convinces Galad to suspend sentence until the end of Masema and his threat.

Matt and Thom and JF are in the tower of Ghenji and begin their ascent

Cadsuane is in charge of Semirhage's captivity/questioning.  Semirhage seems to be affecting Cadsuane, possibly tempting her.

Egwene is serving in the White Tower.  The sisters who are searching for Black Ajah finally decide to tell Egwene what they are doing because they want guidance and they think Elaida may be black.  Egwene soon has a network of support in the White Tower.

Aviendha comes to Caemlyn and Rand gets her pregnant. Aviendha decides to go to Egwene and help her reclaim the White Tower.  Min goes with her.

Elayne hears of the Borderlanders, and enlists Nyneaves help as Lan's wife to approach them with a truce and mutual alliance.  She goes north.

Rand decides to confront Taim, Taim flees with all loyal to him. Rand puts Logain in charge of the Black Tower.

Perrin and Galad come upon Masema.  They fight.  Perrin saves Dain Bornholdt's life and Galad decides Perrin is not a darkfriend.

Gawyn learns Egwene is being held captive.  He broods.

Rand again tries to initiate talks with the Seanchan.  Tuon agrees to meet, the real her.

Mat and Thom and JF climb further, and Jain Farstrider reveals himself as himself.

Elayne and Nyneave arrive at the borderlanders camp. Diplomacy begins.

Min and Aviendha arrive and make contact with Siuan.  They plot to keep the sisters loyal to Egwene, Min decides to go to Gawyn.  She meets Gawyn who moans that he is conflicted, and convinces him he must act.

Rand meets with Tuon, is held be 13 Damane and leashed with the collar and bracelets.  His first act, he is forced to kneel to Tuon. 

At this point, Perrin has a vision of Rand kneeling on the floor surrounded by collared women.  He resolves to save him gets his army ready to move.

Matt meanwhile gets to the top of the Tower, and together they free Moiraine.  She's back!

The End.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right.  I forgot to mention in my prologue "Perrin wakes up and Masema has left with his army and Perrin is forced to pursue when they hear about Whitecloaks" which is what I picture happening.  I picture Masema doing a runner, not hanging about when Perrin is ready to kill him over what he did to Aram.  But the borderlanders thing was just a brain dead moment in general.  So, um, there you go.

Peace

Moiraine's been gone for half the series, she'll be so out of the loop that her first lines will be asking to be briefed on the situation, or asking where Rand is. The only time her rescue will fit in with the storyline is in part 1, as well. It would go entirely against her character to have her take away one of the legs of the tripod, as one of the forsaken put it, just to save herself when the rescue wouldn't even be certain. She put the world above her own needs the last 20 years and she would know Tarmon Gai'don is going to happen around this time, based on things she saw in Rhuidean. So, if it was to happen real close to TG I think she wouldn't have even sent Thom the letter.

Yeah, it's been what, a year since she disappeared? I wonder what she'll be more surprised at? Probably Egwene becoming Amyrlin I'd think.

Well, Perrin already knows that there is a whitecloak army in the area.

As for pursuing Masema, the crazy prophet and the survivors of his army did run away after the battle, and while he is crazy, he is not an idiot. Since Perrin survived, he must suspect that Perrin might have heard something from Aram regarding Masemas role there. Meanwhile, Perrin has to sort out the aftermaths of the battle before he can go after Masema, if he even decides to do that. Revenge seems quite out of character for Perrin, unless it concerns Faile, and Masema does not pose that much of a threat anymore. At least not as much of a threat as an approaching whitecloak army.

As for Mat and the others entering TOG in the prologue, not a chance. If we see Mat at all in the prologue, it will be shortly after the battle in KOD, sorting out who is to go where and why, since the group now must split up. Once that is done, Mat, Thom and whoever goes with them to TOG has some traveling to do. Simply skipping all this would be an awful decision.

If Elaynes crowning takes place in the prologue, or early in the book, chances are exceptionally slim that Rand will show up. Him avoiding Caemlyn was not just to help Elayne securing the throne by not hinting at any connection between her and TDR, it is also in character for Rands attempt to distance himself from anyone who is important to him, as that would make them targets.

The first we will see of Rand is him preparing to go see the real Tuon. This is the top priority for him at the moment.

Rand visits the Black Tower and is horrified with what is happening.

Not going to happen in this book. Actually, I can not see Rand going back there at all, it will be for Logain to discover what is going on, and to deal with it.

Perrin meets up with Galad, who passes a sentence of death on Perrin but Perrin convinces Galad to suspend sentence until the end of Masema and his threat.

Not a chance. That would be extremely out of character for Galad. And of course, he would be somewhat caught up in the discovery that Morgase is in fact quite alive.

Matt and Thom and JF are in the tower of Ghenji and begin their ascent

Very possible. In the second half of the book.

Cadsuane is in charge of Semirhage's captivity/questioning.  Semirhage seems to be affecting Cadsuane, possibly tempting her.

Tempting? As in trying to lure cadsuane to the Dark Side? Hardly.

Egwene is serving in the White Tower.  The sisters who are searching for Black Ajah finally decide to tell Egwene what they are doing because they want guidance and they think Elaida may be black.  Egwene soon has a network of support in the White Tower.

I find it more likely that Egwenes serving of elaida will result in Egwene ending up in a dungeon, waiting to be executed.

Aviendha comes to Caemlyn and Rand gets her pregnant.

The Caemlyn Avi was just ordered to leave, so that she could continue he training as a Wise One?

Aviendha decides to go to Egwene and help her reclaim the White Tower.  Min goes with her.

Not a chance.

Elayne hears of the Borderlanders, and enlists Nyneaves help as Lan's wife to approach them with a truce and mutual alliance.  She goes north.

Elayne has already met the Borderlanders, she was the one sending them off in their current direction.

Rand decides to confront Taim, Taim flees with all loyal to him. Rand puts Logain in charge of the Black Tower.

See above regarding the confrontation. Also, not in this book.

Perrin and Galad come upon Masema.  They fight.  Perrin saves Dain Bornholdt's life and Galad decides Perrin is not a darkfriend.

Why would Galad believe Perrin was a DF in the first place? He does not seem to be one to jump at conclusions without substantial evidence. The going after masema business...Maybe.

Gawyn learns Egwene is being held captive.  He broods.

He should learn about her eing held captive, but not necessarily in this book.

Rand again tries to initiate talks with the Seanchan.  Tuon agrees to meet, the real her.

Indeed, and this should come relatively early, at least the decision to meet.

Mat and Thom and JF climb further, and Jain Farstrider reveals himself as himself.

The TOG is not a tower in that sense, so I doubt we will see much climbing taking place. Farstrider revealing himself...Maybe. I would find it quite fun if he never does this. One of those things everyone knows, but that never actually is officially confirmed.

Elayne and Nyneave arrive at the borderlanders camp. Diplomacy begins.

Where did Nynaeve come from? She has attached herself quite firmly to Rand, and I think she will stay that way til the end. As for Elayne meeting with the Borderlanders, to what purpose? They are on their way out of Andor, and nothing she says can make them move any faster. As far as she is concerned, they have served their purpose, and unless they suddenly completely stop, and start looking like they will set up camp indefinitly in Andor, there is no reason for her to bother with them. She has more important things to do.

Min and Aviendha arrive and make contact with Siuan.  They plot to keep the sisters loyal to Egwene, Min decides to go to Gawyn.  She meets Gawyn who moans that he is conflicted, and convinces him he must act.

Well, no.

Rand meets with Tuon, is held be 13 Damane and leashed with the collar and bracelets.  His first act, he is forced to kneel to Tuon.

Absolutely not. There is zero chance of this happening.

At this point, Perrin has a vision of Rand kneeling on the floor surrounded by collared women.  He resolves to save him gets his army ready to move.

Not in this book. If Perrin needs to save Rand from any channeling women, it will be in the next book, and the women will be the 13 Aes Sedai with the Borderlanders.

Matt meanwhile gets to the top of the Tower, and together they free Moiraine.  She's back!

That one I give you. Except for "the top". Again, TOG is not a tower in that sense.

If there's anything between Perrin and Galad in the form of a court system, Galad as judge, Morgaise will probably speak up for Perrin's character. It will still be a tough position.. There are witnesses to the fact that Perrin ran with wolves and killed some Children of the Light. If not a darkfriend, he could still easily be found a murderer. I'm on the side about this actually happening though. I think it could, but then.. it might not, too.

The male a'dam were seized already, there could be more but the people intending to use them on Rand are already captured. The only way Rand will kneel before the "crystal throne", meaning Tuon, would be if he seized Saidin and lost his balance in front of her, which he wouldn't be likely to do, not wanting to show weakness in front of a person he intends to make a truce with.

Book 1 ends almost certainly with the return of Moiraine.  I hope it end-ends with her meeting Rand, because I think that will be epic - it will blow the "golden crane flies for tarmon gai'don" out of the water in terms of drama.

Other things that transpire (random and not all to do with book 1):

1) Rand meets with Tuon, and they discuss the impending (or already begun) attack on Tar Valon.  Rand's ta'vern effect plays a handy role.  This sets in motion Rand "saving" the Aes Sedai - in book 2 (maybe?) this will culminate with Rand meeting Egwene who is royally ticked by his truce, but unable to deny the fact that he (one way or another) saved the Aes Sedai from themselves.

2) Perrin starts to orchestrate (in his slow methodical way) a plan to end Masema's reign of madness.  Knowing Perrin, this won't end until chapter 43 of book 3, at which point Logain will travel directly to him and ask him to kindly stop screwing around and go with him to actually fight the last battle.  Haha.  In seriousness, I think it's a given that Galad will meet up with Perrin, and they may even head towards Andor.  Berelain meets Galad too....  ;)  When will Elayne learn that Morgase is alive - dunno, probably book 2.

3)  Speaking of Elayne I think she will finally take the throne in cairhein, ending about seven books worth of minor subplots concering that country's ruler.

4)  We finally meet demandred.

5)  Somehow, Aludra needs to at least get in touch with Rand.  Dunno how or when.  Maybe post the rescue of Moiraine whch would put that in book 2, I guess.

6)  Cadsuane and Semirhage.  I have no idea what is going to happen there.  This could be awesome.  It might even transpire that part of Rand's deal with Tuon involves making her damane as punishment for shaming Tuon.  That would be.... interesting.

7)  Egwene and Elaida meet.  Elaida will be made to look a fool, and go bananas on Egwene.  Egwene is sent to the dungeon.  There she figures out she is building up an immunity to forkroot.  Gawyn will eventually aid in her rescue, and they travel off to the rebels - who will eventually face the seanchan, as previously stated (book 2?).  This will further Egwene's anger with Rand, since she will have a solid reason (albeit misguided) to believe that his truce was unnecessary.

8 )  In book 2 Rand learns to laugh and cry.  Cadsuane makes it happen by orchestrating him meeting his newborn children.

That's all for now.

The prolouge was substantially written by RJ before his death, his pattern was to showcase minor characters for 100+ pages.  If the pattern continues I expect that a non-major character will star in the prolouge, suspects for that positition include,

Verin, ala Horn search in the Tower.

BA hunters in the WT.

Bashere and the borderlanders.

Lan madragoran on the march (A Lan POV would rock!)

Since BS indicated that all of the major players would have screentime I think that some things will have to kick off sooner rather than later.  For instance Egwene, when last we saw her, was set to serve an increasingly alchoholic Elaida dinner alone with one of her rebel "ferrets," in the room to assist her.  Personally, I think that the first Egwene material that we see will be this scene, and will spell the end of elaida and the beggining of the healing of the tower fracture.  If BS included Egwene in the major players category, then I would expect that this would happen in this next book.

I agree with all of you who also said that Mat's trip to the tower of ghenji will likely occur in this book, I think that of the 3 taveren Mat will have the most onscreen time of them.  This plot line will be advanced to the end and will result in the rescue of Moraine.

I think that since Perrin's plotline was largely wrapped up last book, that his next book will see some building of a new arc which culminates in his "crowning" as the wolf king at the end of the 2nd book.

I think that Rand will enter his beggar phase early in this book, and not resurface in any great degree until late in the next book or early in the last book.  I suspect that most of his scenes will be of him either deep in a depression or acting covertly towards some unknown ends.

Since that does not leave much meat for this book, I will go ahead and throw in the idea that either the Arad Domain/graendal plotline will wrap-up  or that a twofer plot wrap up will occur with the exposure of the BA in the tower and the DF's under Taim in the BT.

I'm glad someone finally mentioned Verin; looking forward to further definition of her role.  "The Gathering Storm" implies action by the Forsaken, too - besides Semi - and further development of the Rand/Moridin connection.

First time posting sooo be nice please...  ;D

1. This mostly has to do with the swirling colors turning into pictures of the 3 tavern which is how i think rands going to see moriane for the first time by thinking of matt most likely talking with tuon and finding out just how busy matts been.  now do u think this might lead to making rand learn to laugh and cry again?  seeing moriane as matt and her escape the tower of ghenji through the swirls could very well end the book with him having a text book one tear falling down the cheek? this would kind of be like 3 plot lines coming to an end so it might be to cluttered to work but its just an idea.

2. What does everyone think the tower of ghenji will be like?  i don't think it will be them running through halls fighting off snake and fox people but maybe somewhat like the accepted test being in different lives and trying to fight there way through different obsticles... thats just me throughing out some crazy theory just trying to get the topic going.

we have very few clues except what Matt saw out the windows, Finnland will most like be something along the lines of the portal stone world Rand went to.  Except it will be twisted and warped in some way and the flute is essential, that's about it others may know more but I'm all out.

I would really like to see Rand's reaction to seeing Moiraine alive. I know it's Cadsuane who is supposed to make Rand laugh and cry but I can't help but think just how perfect it would be for Moiraine to do this. I mean she was the orignal name on his dead chick playlist so to find her alive would, IMO, shake him to his core. Maybe it will be Cadsuane who brings Rand and Moiraine together  ???, one can only hope. Regardless of how their meeting occurs, I can't imagine it happening until the second book, although it would be a pretty sick ending to GS to have Moiraine come up to Rand in the midst of one of his angry moments and be like: "Sup foo?"  :D This could be even better if the book were written so you don't know if Mat and Co. succeed in rescuing Moiraine.

I just had a thought, now I know tGS is finished but still.  It would be interesting to have Elayne's coronation in the prolouge but have it from Birgitte's point of view(if Matt were there he would be a good choice too) then cut to Lan for some time then to Verin, then maybe the BA hunters and end with either Karede or Tuon or both if possible.  Then cut to chapter one which I think will be Egwene serving Eliada or Matt.

However, the book is finished, thus begins the loooonng wait until november I wonder if the prologue will come out before.

To me Elayne's coronation would not fit with 'Gathering Storm' regardless whose POV it is.

Elayne's coronation to me would fit better with 'Shifting Winds' (2nd part).

These would be my guesses on what each volume would contain::

Gathering Storm: rescues, battles, and gathering of troops.

Shifting Winds: political changes, negotiations, alliances.

Tarmon Gai'don: 'last battle' and the aftermath, birth of Elayne's babies.

2) Perrin starts to orchestrate (in his slow methodical way) a plan to end Masema's reign of madness.  Knowing Perrin, this won't end until chapter 43 of book 3,

Is Masema really in a position to continue his reign of madness? I thought he had only one or two hundred men left?

Does anyone think that Tam al`Thor will ever meet up with Rand? Last place I remember seeing Tam was with Perrin's army. I really do want for Rand to be able to see his father again. I believe that will go a long way into helping Rand be able to laugh and cry again.

If Perrin has a hold on Masema he could very well Travel to where ever Rand is and Tam would be with him.

I wonder what will happen to Rand and his list of names when the major one he always mentions first when he recites them gets erased. He'll have to erase it when he sees Moiraine, unless he takes her for a shadowspawn trick and lashes out.

I would really like to see Rand's reaction to seeing Moiraine alive. I know it's Cadsuane who is supposed to make Rand laugh and cry but I can't help but think just how perfect it would be for Moiraine to do this. I mean she was the orignal name on his dead chick playlist so to find her alive would, IMO, shake him to his core. Maybe it will be Cadsuane who brings Rand and Moiraine together  ???, one can only hope. Regardless of how their meeting occurs, I can't imagine it happening until the second book, although it would be a pretty sick ending to GS to have Moiraine come up to Rand in the midst of one of his angry moments and be like: "Sup foo?"  :D This could be even better if the book were written so you don't know if Mat and Co. succeed in rescuing Moiraine.

I don't think Cadsuane cares how Rands remembers laughter and tears, just that he does learn it.

And as far as Perrin goes, I wonder if he'll use all the freed gai'shain to build an army.  Tam, Talavor, Elyas, and Gaul could help do the training aided by the warders.  And their are a few hundred soldiers among the refuges. 

But Neald and Grady would have an even larger task that could bring great rewards.  There are between 50-40,000 gai'shain refuge men.  The ratio from the BWB is 1-2% of the population can learn to channel.  So that would be between 400-1000 new Soldiers for the BT and given their imprisonment by the Shaido ther freed would do whatever they could to insure they're never that helpness again.

Thing I am also looking forward to (that may not happen until book 2 or even 3):

9)  Rand discusses how to die to live with Alivia.  He says he's going to do that in KoD, and I think that will be a very interesting conversation.

side question:  does alivia know Min's viewing of her yet?  It seems like it's been made obvious in front of her repeatedly, but I don't think she knows the details or rationale yet... ?

10)  Nyneave finally gets Lan's bond. 

I've got the feeling that Rand is still to have some rough moments before the reunion with Moiraine. Apart from the BA with the bordelanderarmy ofc. Imo both Tam and Moiraine are figures that will give roughly the same effect from Rand "learning to cry and laugh" thing. Moiraine is needed to win the last battle according to Min, Tam is not. I bet that Rand will get the news of Tam's death. Idle speculation from my side but I have got that feeling ever since Tam was reintroduced with Perrin's army.

-Moroten

Archived