DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

AMOL Part 1: The Gathering Storm Speculation

If Perrin has a hold on Masema he could very well Travel to where ever Rand is and Tam would be with him.

You know, it would serve Mesema right to be forced to Travel considering how he feels about Traveling.  I also hope this happens because I want to see Rand personally renounce Mesema.  These things will make Mesema crazier than he already is.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get why Rand wants Mesema alive.

When Rand sent Perrin to pick up Masema, there was an "army" of some 20000 dragonsworn coming with the bargain, and at that point, Rand did not have any reason to believe that Masema was as messed up as he proved to be. So getting Masema would mean getting 20000 extra soldiers to shove into Rands army, instead of having them roaming the countryside, causing all kinds of bad things.

Now that the army is gone, Rand will not care one bit about what happens to Masema. And I think chances are way higher that Perrin given the chance will hang Maema from the nearest tree, rather than drag him kicking and screaming to Rand.

I think Egwene is going to finally overthrow Eladia in tGS. It'll come towards the end of the book, and Shifting Winds will be the political aspect of Egwene convincing the Hall of the Tower to fully back Rand as TG draws closer. We all know that part is going to take an entire book. 

If I were to venture a guess, I would say that The Gathering Storm is going to contain more action, and the next book more political maneuvering.  So I would guess that Seanchan attack on the White Tower occurs next book, and obviously Mat and Thom rescue Moiraine.  Other than that, who knows.  I just can't wait for Perrin to run into Galad and the Whitecloaks.  The scene where Galad finds out that Morgase is alive, and Perrin and Faile find out that she is Morgase, that will be priceless.

Faile would do that she is intelligent enough, Perrin is not independent enough to come up with something like that.  Original thinking is not his strong suit.

Perrin is deliberate, not unoriginal.  There are many examples of his careful planning and execution of complex plans to cite - many during the rescue of Faile, and back to the raid on the Whitecloaks' camp in the Two Rivers.  When he sees the need he acts.  I'd more readily describe Faile as rash and impetuous than intelligent - although she is intelligent, her other qualities can get her into trouble.  That's one of the reasons they make a good team; they counterbalance each other.

Yes, and I think these events will be good as I see Biar and Dain initially starting up a conflict with Perrin.  I think Galad will use his unwavering since of rightiousness to judge Perrin's actions against the Whitecloaks in EToW and that he will ultimately pass judgement in favor of Perrin (though I think there will be hints that the fact that Perrin was defending Egwene's life may have influenced Galad's decision).

Well, I wouldnt say he was defending Egwene so much as going in a mad rage at the death of Hopper. Egwene didnt have alot to fear from those whitecloaks, Perrin did however, his yellow eyes and supposedly being shadowspawn i mean..

I'm looking forward to the blurb.

The Wheel of Time has captivated a generation of readers' date=' becoming an international bestseller. Now Robert Jordan brings us the thrilling penultimate volume in this ground-breaking fantasy epic.[/quote']So the first thing I'm hoping for is Orbit's explanation. "The Wheel of Time has captivated a generation of readers, and this, what was supposed to be the last volume (I know we promised it would be, we're sorry, it's complicated, but it was out of our control) but is now just the one before the penultimate volume look set to...hey, there's no need to throw this book around like that. Blame Tor, or Brandon Sanderson, we didn't have any say in the matter. Anyway, there's some good stuff inside. Honest."

If Perrin does meet up with Galad then there is going to be some interesting moments with Morgaise. I really don't know what is going to happen with that. What would you do if you found out that the woman who now serves you, used to be the queen of your homeland? Its going to be interesting.

If Perrin does meet up with Galad then there is going to be some interesting moments with Morgaise. I really don't know what is going to happen with that. What would you do if you found out that the woman who now serves you, used to be the queen of your homeland? Its going to be interesting.

The Emonds Field folk do not really think of Morgaise as their Queen. More interesting for me is what will be the reaction of Galad to meeting someone who his officers believe is a Darkfriend and has Aes Sedie and other female channelers beside Maasina in tow. Also Perrin's reaction when if finds out his "secretary" used to be the "secretary" for the Commander General of the Children of Light. Also finding out that his stepmother is sleeping with former junior officer of the Andoran army.

I think "The Gathering Storm" will contain very little of Rand's POV. He's been injured and is propably recovering from that. Not much action there. I think we will see much of Mat's POV. Going to the realm of the finn and so on. Maybe we will get some Moiraine POV after she's been rescued. Elayne is busy on  the throne (and being pregnant, of course). So I don't think we will see much of her POV. Egwene and Aviendha is another matter. They are probably very busy, so I think we will see much of them. The same goes with Tuon. I hope we will get some POV from Narishma and/or Logain. I would love to see some POV of the Forsaken, perhaps Mesaana or Demandred. That would be very nice. Lan's POV is possibly going to be a part of book 12 as well. I don't know about Nynaeve or Perrin, but I guess they won't take up much time in this book.

Looking forward to it!

I think "The Gathering Storm" will contain very little of Rand's POV. He's been injured and is propably recovering from that. Not much action there. I think we will see much of Mat's POV. Going to the realm of the finn and so on. Maybe we will get some Moiraine POV after she's been rescued. Elayne is busy on  the throne (and being pregnant, of course). So I don't think we will see much of her POV. Egwene and Aviendha is another matter. They are probably very busy, so I think we will see much of them. The same goes with Tuon. I hope we will get some POV from Narishma and/or Logain. I would love to see some POV of the Forsaken, perhaps Mesaana or Demandred. That would be very nice. Lan's POV is possibly going to be a part of book 12 as well. I don't know about Nynaeve or Perrin, but I guess they won't take up much time in this book.

Looking forward to it!

Rand recuperated from his hand injury moments after he sustained it, nothing will stop him now. He is like a snowball rolling downhill, and I suspect we will see an avalanche in the next three books.

Rand recuperated from his hand injury moments after he sustained it, nothing will stop him now. He is like a snowball rolling downhill, and I suspect we will see an avalanche in the next three books.

Yeah, but what about the eyes? The "blind beggar" vision might indicate that he will continue to have problems with the eyes. It's hard to face enemies when you can't see. Of course, he could still be in a circle, if someone else leads...

Yeah, but what about the eyes? The "blind beggar" vision might indicate that he will continue to have problems with the eyes. It's hard to face enemies when you can't see. Of course, he could still be in a link, if someone else leads...

Maybe if he constantly holds the power..... Blind people get around by sound, whether heightened or not. Rand has the ability to severely increase all of his senses.

Can't Weave if you can't see, as far as I recall.

A few burning questions I'd like answered asap / things I'd like to see:

What IS it that Cadsuane must teach Rand and all the Asha'man, and which they will not like learning? (This must be something different to Cads wanting to teach Rand to laugh and cry again.)

What is going to happen to Elaida? (Someone mentioned on here about her being sent to teach the Seafolk ... now that would be the most awesomely evil punishment I could imagine  ;D)

The Reds bonding the Asha'man, and how they deal with each other.

Galad and Morgase meeting, and the look on Faile's face when she realises who "Maegan" is.

Will Tarna become Egwene's Keeper? (hopes so!)

What IS up with Sheriam? Who exactly has her under there thumb, and how?

Is Lelaine BA?

Of course, Rand is not going blind, he is sensitive to light.

Um ... that can be a first step toward blindness.

I'm not saying its proven that he will go blind (although the Fisher icon is quite indicative).  I'm just saying that to state definitively that he is NOT going blind might be a bit strong.  Blindness is a real possibility.

Oddly enough, that might be a benefit in one and only one case; the Bore doesn't actually exist in the physical world, and so if channeling is involved with what Rand has to do to fix it, not being able to see, and thus being able to channel without the distraction of sight, could be an advantage.  I know that is extremely conditional, as well as speculative.  I'm just putting it out there as a possibility.

The Reds bonding the Asha'man, and how they deal with each other.

That will be very interesting.  For one, we know that the traditional warder aspects (compliance/compulsion) don't work well on male channelers.  Secondly, I would wager some of the men they bond may be drakfriends in Taim's inner circle.

Watching the reaction between Rand/Egwene/Elaida as Taim's actions become clear will be quite tense.

What IS it that Cadsuane must teach Rand and all the Asha'man, and which they will not like learning? (This must be something different to Cads wanting to teach Rand to laugh and cry again.)

Actually I think that's EXACTLY what they have to teach Rand and the Asha'man, to remember how to be human. Lest they become cold killing machines, far worse then just a man going insane but a sane man who just doesn't care for human life.

Well, learning laughter and tears, won't necessarily be fun, Elgee.

Walling ones self off from all emotion is a fear response, that, anecdotally at least, is more common in males than in females.  It is also damaging, as it is an attempt to deny reality.  Being willing to truly feel emotional pain; to accept it, to willingly experience it, can be difficult.  Rand won't like the experience of learning it ... but at the end of it he may be glad that he did.

Still, I'm not sure the laughter and tears bit applies to all the Asha'man.  Flinn, for example, seems pretty well balanced.  Just to refresh the exact wording of Min's viewing:

It's Cadsuane. She is going to teach you something, you and the Asha'man. All the Asha'man, I mean. It's something you have to learn, but I don't know what it is, except that none of you will like learning it from her. You aren't going to like it at all.

ACoS ch 41

So, is it that they won't like learning it from Cadsuane?  Or will they just not like learning it (whatever it is) period?  I personally think this particular viewing most likely has to do with some aspect of the taint's irreversible effects on men. I don't think it is the "laughter and tears" concept, which wouldn't apply to all the Asha'man.

Of course ... if Cads discovers that Rand's attempt to cleanse saidin failed somehow, that would piss off Rand especially, and all the Asha'man universally, but be very important.

Here's a worst case scenario ... that the taint can feed back onto saidin from Rand's channeling, because of the tainted wound in his side.  I know thats a huge stretch ... but how damaging would that be if its true?

So, is it that they won't like learning it from Cadsuane?  Or will they just not like learning it (whatever it is) period?  I personally think this particular viewing most likely has to do with some aspect of the taint's irreversible effects on men. I don't think it is the "laughter and tears" concept, which wouldn't apply to all the Asha'man.

I would interpret the phrasing of the quote you provided to mean that they won't like learing it from her (since she is especially mentionened). But I guess we'll have to RAFO.

Of course ... if Cads discovers that Rand's attempt to cleanse saidin failed somehow, that would piss off Rand especially, and all the Asha'man universally, but be very important.

Why would it have failed? I don't think that it has failed. Who was it that said "it is clean", with wonder trembling in his voice (just after the cleansing)? Was it Narishma? Anyway, I don't think it has failed.

Here's a worst case scenario ... that the taint can feed back onto saidin from Rand's channeling, because of the tainted wound in his side.  I know thats a huge stretch ... but how damaging would that be if its true?

I find that to be highly unlikely. The two evils of Shadar Logoth and the Dark One are contained in the wound. If they weren't, they would be fighting each other off (and probably killing Rand in the process). I don't think the wound in Rand's side contains enough contamination to taint the saidin anew.

I like this train of thought.  But I think it more plausible that Cadsuane figures out that those who channeled pre-cleansing (Rand in particular) can not reverse whatever madness they accumulated up until that point.  It would be royally lame if it turns out Rand's cleansing failed.

Anyhow, this would imply that the older male channelers are still at risk of losing control (see Semirhage's comments in KoD for confirmation) and it will fall on the younger channelers to "put them down".

Archived