DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

AMOL Part 1: The Gathering Storm Speculation

Okay, so there are several threads about the splitting, and Brandon's blog, etc., but I didn't see any real discussion of WHAT will be in this book. Since Brandon has said that this book is about 300k (longer than about half the books in the WoT) and has good character arcs, a good story arc, and a great climax point, etc., what do you think will be in it?

Personally, in only one third of the book (of AMOL, that is), I don't see this volume taking us all the way to the start of TG. That fits with Brandon's initial title ideas of "Gathering Clouds", "Shifting Winds", and "Tarmon Gai'don". Based on these, it looks like TG will have to wait for volume three.

Yet, Brandon also said that some major plotlines tie up in this volume. So, what will they be? Here are my thoughts:

-Since Mat doesn't have a lot to do other than rescue Moiraine, I think that her rescue will take place in this book. I don't think she'll be in it much, though. I picture her getting rescued near the end of the book, with very little screen time until the next one

-I'm sort of torn on whether the white tower/rebels plot will be resolved in this book or not. On one hand, I think a lot has to happen with it, but I don't know if it will be completed this early in the overall AMOL. What do you guys think?

-I see some events surrounding Elayne happening, such as her solidifying her reign, and probably finally taking the throne in Cairhien as well

-I think that Perrin's group will meet up with Galad and the Whitecloaks, and all those events will play out.

-I'm unsure of what Rand will do in this book. Maybe negotiate with Tuon?

-I think there will be some events in Arad Domon, with Ituralde and Aviendha doing something up there as well

That's about all I can think of, and looking back, that may be too much to happen in this book alone, but then again it may not be. What are your thoughts?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The rescue of Moiraine should take place here, so she will have time to get back in the game.

Rand deal with Tuon seems very likely. Which would open up book two for his dealings with the borderlanders.

Perrin and his gang should meet up with Galad and his whitecloaks, and then start marching. Possibly attempt to clean up the remaining part of Masemas army. My theory is that Perrins second rescue of rand from women who can channel will be connected with the Borderlanders, and the (most likely BA) 13 Aes Sedai, and this setting would make it possible to time that quite nicely.

The White Tower...I do not think we will see anything resolved here. Rather, the situation will be quite dark when the book ends. We will see Egwene serving Elaida, something that seems set up to result in Egwene locked up waiting to be executed after having pissed Elaida off.

Hopefully we will get a glimpse of Loial speaking to the Stump. Needs to happen early if the Ogier are to go to war.

One can always dream of Logain vs Taim, but i think that is to come in book two.

I think The Gathering Storm will open with Rand in a rage because nobody can find Tuon yet. Mat will rescue Moiraine near the beginning and it'll take up probably half the book mixed with the Seanchan gathering for a last ditch attack at the Aes Sedai, since their land is crumbling. Tuon will appear in time to take command, Mat will go to the Tower with Moiraine in a big rush. The Tower and Rebel Aes Sedai will still be at war but an unofficial truce will show up when the Rebels have to besiege the tower to fight off the Seanchan.

So we will see Mat and Tuon both there, Rand will hear of it and Mat will use his influence with Tuon to get a truce for Rand without Tuon being verbally abused by him. I can see Rand being taken aback by Mat when he tries it.

At the same time, Ituralde will destroy the rest of the Seanchan army that did fall into his trap and he also will meet with Rand. His increased influence in that area would bring in the soldiers he convinced to join him, to follow Rand.

News of the Dragon Reborn entering the White Tower would fly over the world and Perrin would know where to Travel to, so all 3 of them will be together.

TG has already begun. The whole thing is TG, it isn't one huge battle ala the start of the Peter Jackson Fellowship of the Ring. IMO the whole series is TG.

I agree and disagree.. I think the opening blows of Tarmon Gai'don were struck at the cleansing of Saidin. That was a direct attack on the Dark One's greatest achievement and multiple of his Chosen were destroyed there.

I made a post at the Knife of Dreams thread in the Structured forum some time ago,

When Rand cleansed Saidin in book 9, the hand on Tremalking melted. The Amayar had a belief that when the hand was destroyed it would mark the end of illusion, or as the sea folk put it in her news of the Amayar mass suicide, the end of the world. The Aiel refer to life as a dream. Knife of Dreams, end of illusion.. Both suggest the end of the world. Tarmon Gai'don itself could be called a knife of dreams, so perhaps the title means Tarmon Gai'don is already happening? Rand thinks he's going to start it and he's moving his men in large numbers and gathering supplies to one spot.. but we see tens of thousands of trollocs attack and the end of the Shaido in a large battle. The chaos spread by the forsaken at the Dark One's order suggests as well that Tarmon Gai'don will involve infighting among the good guys as much as them fighting the bad. You could call the battle at Shadar Logoth the opening blows of TG, though none of the characters would likely see it so; we see most of the forsaken at work against the Light's forces in an attack on what one of the forsaken referred to as the Dark One's greatest achievement.

So we'd have Crossroads of Twilight, a book that shows us exactly where each of the main characters is right at the moment Saidin was cleansed. This recapping I took as being the "crossroads" in the title and I always took the "twilight" to mean "the calm before the storm". The book shows us what each character was doing right when all hell broke loose. Knife of Dreams would be the beginning of Tarmon Gai'don itself, followed by A Memory of Light - the middle and resealing of the Dark One, which would be followed by war cleaning up the mess (the Last Battle). Something like that could and likely will last for years.

From reading the article on Sanderson's site, he did not explicitly say that Gathering Storm would have a word count of 300k.  Nor does he explicitly say how long any of the volumes would be.  From the article:

Anyway, Tom implied that 400k was what he saw as a cut off for length. Anything 300-350 could be one book, anything over 350 should be cut. (That's me guessing on things he said; he never gave those hardfast numbers, and I know there was probably some flexibility.) Anyway, Tom--like Harriet--wanted to wait and see what I was able to produce first. At this point, it was too early to begin talk of cutting the book. I'd barely written any of it.

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/article/56/Splitting-AMOL

Harriet told that each would be 250k.  http://www.dragonmount.com/Books/Memory_of_Light/

Mat & Thom rescuing Moiraine I agree would be in the first book.

Egwene's rescue I guess would be in the first book, but chronologically after Moiraine's rescue because the most likely candidates (Tuon, Egeanin) are with Mat. (Egwene's Dream in Crossroads of Twilight Chapter 20.)

Egwene becoming Amyrlin of both towers I think might be more probable in the second book mainly because of the current title (Shifting...).

Rand's negotiation with Tuon I think would also be in the second, again because of "Shifting"; also because she is with Mat (might be some time for either to find the other).

Elayne I think would be fighting the other claimants to Andor's thrown in the first book; and probably be crowned queen of Andor in the second probably chronologically same time as Egwene becoming Amyrlin.  Elayne I guess would be crowned in Cairhien in the second after being crowned in Andor.

Perrin I think would be bringing Masema to Rand in the first and maybe witness the meeting.  Other than that, sex with Faile and discussions with Elyas might be probable.

From reading the article on Sanderson's site, he did not explicitly say that Gathering Storm would have a word count of 300k.  Nor does he explicitly say how long any of the volumes would be.  

The quote you used is talking about the entire AMOL.

If you want to look at book 1...

I spent a few days in January looking over the material, and came to Tom and Harriet with a proposal. I had what I felt would make the best book possible, divided in a certain way, which came out to be around 275,000 words. It had several strong character arcs, it told a very good story, and it closed several important plot threads. I felt it would be an excellent book.

Now, this was longer than they'd wanted. They'd hoped I'd find them a cutting point at the 225k mark. But I didn't feel good about any cuts earlier than 275. In fact, I later took that 275,000 word book and I added an extra 25k in scenes (one's I'd been planning to write anyway, but decided would work better here in this chunk) in order to fill it out and make of it the most solid novel possible. Right now, the book sits at about 301,000 words--though that will fluctuate as I trim out some excess language here and there. I suspect the final product will be right around 300,000k words.

And book two...

There will be another good split at around the 600k mark.

After Elayne crushed the siege of Caemlyn she got all the support she needed for the throne. I would be surprised if her coronation wasn't in the prologue, or failing that, as a flashback that takes place before events in the prologue. She could have been crowned the night the siege ended, in the same manner that Arymilla intended.

Ellorien hates House Trakand, but that is irrelevant given that Elayne is already queen. She acquired the necessary Houses at the end of KOD. We may see some consolidation/fortification on her part, but the throne is hers. I agree in believing we might see her coronation in the prologue. That would be a cool way to get us back into the swing of things.

Mat and Thom at the Tower of Ghenji would fit well here, and perhaps the opening to the attack on the Tower. I could see Rand opening negotiations with Tuon as well, more than likely pledging not to free the current damane. And the Borderlanders making their way south...who knows there might be a nasty clash between them and the Seanchan at some point.

Do you think Elaida, when it's all said and done, will end up stilled and executed or collared?

Do you think Elaida, when it's all said and done, will end up stilled and executed or collared?

None of the above.  I think that Egwene will revamp the ridiculious ranking system among the AS so that highest ranking sister won't necessarly be the one with the highest rank.  When its all said and done Elaida will be considered the lowest among the AS and will spend the rest of her day either on a farm or scrubbing pots in the Tower kitchen.  Or possibly even teaching the Sea Folk.

The identity of Asmodean's killer will be revealed (I hope)

-Since Mat doesn't have a lot to do other than rescue Moiraine, I think that her rescue will take place in this book. I don't think she'll be in it much, though. I picture her getting rescued near the end of the book, with very little screen time until the next one

I agree that this story will play out the "The Gathering Storm" and I agree the Moiraine's return will be one of the last things to happen in the book.  Though I have to say the Mat does have plenty to do such as marry Tuon, gain some influence in the Seanchan Empire, develop his dragons (cannons) etc.

-I'm sort of torn on whether the white tower/rebels plot will be resolved in this book or not. On one hand, I think a lot has to happen with it, but I don't know if it will be completed this early in the overall AMOL. What do you guys think?

I think that a lot of the internal conflict within the tower will play out in this book and possibly we will see actual war between the Tower AS and the Rebels.  I think one of the cliffhangers will the the arrival of the Seanchan army at Tar Valon.

-I see some events surrounding Elayne happening, such as her solidifying her reign, and probably finally taking the throne in Cairhien as well

I really don't expect to see a lot of Elayne in this one, I think she will mostly be involved in boring administrative duties that we don't want to read about anyway.  I think her coronation will occur in the prolog and we may get a few snipits of her interacting with Dyline as I suspect there is much more to Dyline that what we have seen.

-I think that Perrin's group will meet up with Galad and the Whitecloaks, and all those events will play out.

Yes, and I think these events will be good as I see Biar and Dain initially starting up a conflict with Perrin.  I think Galad will use his unwavering since of rightiousness to judge Perrin's actions against the Whitecloaks in EToW and that he will ultimately pass judgement in favor of Perrin (though I think there will be hints that the fact that Perrin was defending Egwene's life may have influenced Galad's decision).

-I'm unsure of what Rand will do in this book. Maybe negotiate with Tuon?

Maybe toward the end, but he'd better do a lot more than that!

-I think there will be some events in Arad Domon, with Ituralde and Aviendha doing something up there as well

yes, and this of course will include some major Graendal action (yes!!!!) possibly even outing her from her secret identity, and maybe even another little confession of guilt (devilish grin)

That's about all I can think of, and looking back, that may be too much to happen in this book alone, but then again it may not be. What are your thought?

Not much more to add at this point except to say that I hope we see a lot of Taim and Logain in this volume (and in the other two).

I agree that this story will play out the "The Gathering Storm" and I agree the Moiraine's return will be one of the last things to happen in the book.  Though I have to say the Mat does have plenty to do such as marry Tuon, gain some influence in the Seanchan Empire, develop his dragons (cannons) etc.

Uhm, they were married in KOD.

As for the dragons, I see little reason why Mat should be involved in developing them, other than making sure Aludra is introduced to a suitable ruler so she can get the assistance she needs. For example Elayne, now that Rand seems to have given up on playing king.

Egwene's rescue I guess would be in the first book, but chronologically after Moiraine's rescue because the most likely candidates (Tuon, Egeanin) are with Mat. (Egwene's Dream in Crossroads of Twilight Chapter 20.)

Egwene becoming Amyrlin of both towers I think might be more probable in the second book mainly because of the current title (Shifting...).

I agree with your timing but must point out that Tuon is no longer with Mat. Exactly how and where characters meet up will be the best parts of the upcoming books.

I don't think Egwene needs rescuing, I have a feeling she's going to make a united hall make a vote on which Amrlyn to support: Eliadia or Egwene. So that they can finally be a whole Tower again.

Also there was a dream Egwene had where Mat was watching the fireworks, and he reached out and grabbed one and she could hear the world screaming and knew this would change the world forever. It sounds to me like Mat will be very involved in the whole Dragons invention since the dream didn't even include Aludra.

Could be Aludra was the firework he grabbed and it was him convincing her to come along with him that filled the dream. The result is the Dragon's army will be full of dragons. He will play a big part in it, for sure.. now that he knows what is up he won't forget about it all if Aludra was to say, die.

I forgot all about the borderlanders. Those 13 Aes Sedai with them could pose all sorts of problems for Rand.

Ah, I forgot about the Black Tower. Yeah, something could happen there, although I'm inclined to agree that Taim vs. Logain (if it happens) seems more like book 2 material.

About Moiraine:

I was just thinking about how awesome it would be for her to be rescued right at the end of the book, not have very many lines (or any), and then for the last line of the book have it end with her, more like some of the early books in the series. It'd be awesome for her to have just been rescued and say something like "There is much work yet to be done." And then that's the end of Part 1. Of course, some people might hate that, but I think it'd be great

I know this won't happen in The Gathering Storm but I want to see thom kill some Aes Sedai, Moiraine promised she would give him the names so that will be cool whenever it happens.

I don't think we will see trollocs doing much of anything in the Gathering Storm,  We'll have trolloc and Df action in books II & III, but probably not tGS.  Has everyone forgotten about Lan, I see some scenes from Lan, possibly an inner conflict that he is no general.  Aviendha needs to have a OP battle with Greandal or something.  No big fish will be fried in tGS.  Something with the BA hunters, possibly the BA will succeed in kidnapping Doecine.  I think the Reds with warders will have some scenes, possibly df warder but I don't see taim letting his pets get taken away.  More Seanchan PoVs I hope and some scenes from Verin, Verin is just awesome.

Moiraine's been gone for half the series, she'll be so out of the loop that her first lines will be asking to be briefed on the situation, or asking where Rand is. The only time her rescue will fit in with the storyline is in part 1, as well. It would go entirely against her character to have her take away one of the legs of the tripod, as one of the forsaken put it, just to save herself when the rescue wouldn't even be certain. She put the world above her own needs the last 20 years and she would know Tarmon Gai'don is going to happen around this time, based on things she saw in Rhuidean. So, if it was to happen real close to TG I think she wouldn't have even sent Thom the letter.

As for Thom killing Aes Sedai, I think the ones who did it were already dead or were Black Ajah. I can't see Moiraine handing out the names of her sisters to a would-be assassin. Remember, the Red Ajah was sent out to hunt down male channelers after the Dragon was reborn, but it was a Black Ajah scheme that would have them gentled where they were found (as happened with Owyn).

Archived