DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Logain's Glory & Power to come

mb

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Egwene survives the last battle, wouldn't she be the best candidate for a Gray Tower? In my view, she would be. That would be a reason to expect Logain's glory to refer to either being King of a nation or ruler of a completely separate Black Tower. My bet is that he will end up as a King.

In TSR, when Elayne and Nynaeve bargain with the Sea Folk for passage, the sailmistress says something to the effect that in Sea Folk prophesy, Aes Sedei will wash the Dragon Reborn's feet and dry them with their hair.

Based on the ritual used to raise Egwene to Amrylin, wouldn't the Sea Folk prophesy imply that Rand will someday be Tamrylin?  Not that prophesy is always true or uncorrupted...

By the way, it can't be the grey tower.  Saidar and Saidin does not mix, the symbol of aes sedai does not have any mixing either.  So black and white cannot mix to form grey either.

It will be called another name, unrelated to colours.

Guest The Thin Inn Keeper

In TSR, when Elayne and Nynaeve bargain with the Sea Folk for passage, the sailmistress says something to the effect that in Sea Folk prophesy, Aes Sedei will wash the Dragon Reborn's feet and dry them with their hair.

Based on the ritual used to raise Egwene to Amrylin, wouldn't the Sea Folk prophesy imply that Rand will someday be Tamrylin?  Not that prophesy is always true or uncorrupted...

Quite possibly, or it could just be RJ weaving more religious tradition into WoT ref. Mary Magdelene.

It will not happen. The idea that the genders could mix given the three thousand years of established seperation is impossible. Aes Sedai will not abandon everything they are--and this would involve that, since their laws and practises are so based on feminine values--and men would not subjugate themselves into the White Tower. The complexities are too large to be overcome.

The best that will happen is alliance between the White and Black Towers.

If Egwene survives the last battle, wouldn't she be the best candidate for a Gray Tower? In my view, she would be. That would be a reason to expect Logain's glory to refer to either being King of a nation or ruler of a completely separate Black Tower. My bet is that he will end up as a King.

Why would Egwene be such a good candidate for a Gray Tower? She has shown her exact loyalty to the White. And there is no reason to expect Logain to be King of anything--he has no claims to any nation, even in Ghealdan he was only a minor rural Lord.

What he does have is prestige and a political following within the Black Tower. No i'd say almost certainly his 'glory' involves running the Black Tower in the new age.

I think that's more "Aes Sedai will serve the Dragon Reborn" which we're already seeing.

I don't think it's unreasonable to believe the Towers would reunite.

The Breaking changed the world utterly and Tarmon Gaidan will rack the world at least as bad.

I think the AS are smart enough, regardless of how stubborn, to realize that to regain any semblance of the Age of Legends the Towers will have to meld.

I have often thought that "kneeling to the Crystal Throne" was just a direct response to the effects of that throne, being that it's a ter'angreal which creates great awe to anyone near it.  I assumed that Rand would go to meet Tuon and succumb to the effects of the ter'angreal, "kneeling" to the Crystal Throne and fulfilling a prophecy. 

I can't imagine another scenario where Rand would willingly bend knee to anyone, especially the Seanchan.

In A Crown of Swords, Egwene dreams of Logain climbing steps over a corpse of Rand, and laughing as the corpse breaks apart. I think Logain will be instrumental in helping Rand win the Tarmon Gaidin, and his glory will arise from his actions in cleansing the Black Tower and in how he helps Rand. After all, even if Rand survives in some fashion, he never really wanted to rule anything. He had to conquer the nations to save them from the Forsaken and to make sure that they didn't interfere with his efforts to combat the Shadow.

I have often thought that "kneeling to the Crystal Throne" was just a direct response to the effects of that throne, being that it's a ter'angreal which creates great awe to anyone near it.  I assumed that Rand would go to meet Tuon and succumb to the effects of the ter'angreal, "kneeling" to the Crystal Throne and fulfilling a prophecy.
Except the ter'angreal is in Seanchen, Tuon isn't, nor is Rand, and the series ain't going back there. Also, no prophetic requirement for Rand to kneel.

• 3 months later...

I think that Rand's victory over the Dark One in Tarmon Gai'don will be, as Cadsuane fears, almost as bad for the world as a defeat. In other words, after winning Tarmon Gai'don, a completely insane Rand will attempt another Breaking, or worse. Logain will be foremost in defeating Rand in his madness. Logain will receive his glory for saving the world from the Dragon Reborn.

I think Logain's glory will come as he will become the new leader of the Asha'man. I say this because there is a part where Logain laughs as he steps over Rand's dead body to stand on the black stone at the black tower. I think he is assisting Rand in faking his death or helping others believe Rand is actually dead. Since Nicola had the Foretelling of Min Elayne and Avihanda on the boat with Rand it seems Rand will die or come very close. This would be a great time for Rand to dissappear from the world as the Dragon Reborn and live a life that I think he would prefer. Just a thought.

To say glory greater than most men can even dream of implies something really impressive.  She saw the crown around Darlin's head and said

"Meh, he'll be a king"

I think Logain's stepping over Rand is symbolic of him taking over Rand's various duties one he's 'Dead'

(ie. King of the World n' such)

Also, I don't think the Tower's will be united at the end of the 14th book.  Sanderson has said (I believe) that the story will end with Tar'mon Ninja Gaiden and there was a foretelling that went something like...

"the great battle over, but the world not done with battles, the Servents vs. the Gaurdians" etc. etc. Great battle being Tarmon, Servants v. Gaurdians is Aes Sedai v. Asha'man.  So I would guess that would be one of the unresolved issues that might never see a written conclusion.

JD,

Mostly here, though sometimes there.

I've always had a wild theory that Rand's soul will be transferred into Logain after TG. Rand's body will die, fulfilling a number of prophecies, but Nynaneve will find a way to transfer his soul. Logain will have a reason to agree to this, perhaps he is burned out in TG. Or Logain and Rand may swap prior to the battle and he sacrifices himself in place of Rand, thus gaining glory. This fits the Rand dies, yet lives. Logains glory. And the fact that Rand's face is obscured in some of the visions post TG. A wild theory, but a fun one I have speculated on.

I've always had a wild theory that Rand's soul will be transferred into Logain after TG. Rand's body will die, fulfilling a number of prophecies, but Nynaneve will find a way to transfer his soul. Logain will have a reason to agree to this, perhaps he is burned out in TG. Or Logain and Rand may swap prior to the battle and he sacrifices himself in place of Rand, thus gaining glory. This fits the Rand dies, yet lives. Logains glory. And the fact that Rand's face is obscured in some of the visions post TG. A wild theory, but a fun one I have speculated on.

And why haven't you told us this before?! It is wild, but makes sense at the same time. Luckers or someone else will probably find something to debunk this however.

Well I did say it was a wild theory. Still the transference fits a number of prophecies and visions. And if Logain's soul no matter which body it inhabits ultimately caused victory, what greater glory could there be?

While we're in left field, ponder this: what if the Dark One is a woman? Female channelers restored by the DO have less than full strength, yet male channelers are completely restored. Rand has a weakness against women. That would put him in quite a pickle at the last battle. I probably shouldn't throw that in as it's wildly off topic, but what the heck. Could also be the reason why Logain has to step up to the plate.

I'm inclined to agree. It isn't all that plausible. But RJ makes a big deal out of Rand's inability to harm women. Women returned by the DO don't have full strength (women healing women). It would be a very big twist if the DO was an incredibly powerful female channeler trying to bring down creation. It would at the very least make Rand have to really reach to persevere.

The Logain theory though is one I have ran through my head on my rereads of the series. Although it is a stretch it does fit very nicely with the visions and prophecy we've been given.

Archived