DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

New wheel of time games

Asnos

I heard about this. I just really don't see them being able to capture the WoT properly in a video game unless you didn't play a channelling character, which would get rid of a lot of the game.

Wait until we have mental control of games and 3d displays, so we can actually weave! :D

That reminds me, I was thinking of starting up a thread about how to work the One Power into games - a system for weaving and using the different "elements". It'd be really hard to do with a 2d display and mouse/keyboard (hence why I said 3d displays and mental control)... The only way I can see it working is if making a weave was a very long process where all 3 dimensions matter, but after you do it once, you can hotkey it or something, like a normal "spell" in games. I just think using the standard WoW-type magic format is such a waste.

I think if they used the wii motion technology, it would be very easy to wiive the one power (tee hee hee...sorry) but seriously, i think they could make it work

@Wii-mote: Great idea. It would require some sort of 3d control interface. Any bluetooth can do that btw, I think.

@The pun:  :-X

I just think using the standard WoW-type magic format is such a waste.

If they would do that, I, too, would likely be hard pressed not to puke. Another thing I hope they won't go for is what I like to call the "DAoC-formula": DAoC(=Dark Age of Camelot) was about a three-sided war of three realms that did not share any language whatsoever and completely lacked any possibility to attain the language of their enemies(choosing your faction in the beginning basically put you in a different game-environment than "members" of the other two, therefore- except for them or yourself serving as mute and deaf mobs for the adversaries). It might have seemed plausible to some degree there, looking back, however, I find the very idea...appalling.

With Wheel of Time, now, we got a world where pretty much everywhere the same language is spoken, the only variety being the different accents, and even Trollocs, who have their own tongue, seem capable of learning this universal language. Also, there are no true faction-borders: The Dark One's agents are found literally everywhere, the ranks of the "Light" included, and even the most noble hearted person can very well succumb to the Shadow(see Ingtar). So if they'd pull off that team blue vs team red thing and only label it team Light vs team Shadow, castrating player interaction by prohibiting chat to your own "team", I'd be disappointed for more reason than just personal taste.  ::)

I don't think that some sort of wii-controller-type magic is realistic, though. I doubt anyone except for die hard-fans would buy a controller just for one odd game, another fantasy-title that for most will likely not even be that discernible from LotR. What I'd rather like to see would be some sort of endurance-based system where every "class" feeds on the same power source, and when that power source runs low some more penalties than just not being able to weave some more or use some sword-form would also be refreshing. Less restricting profiles for the different "classes" would also be something I would greatly appreciate, e.g. that a male channeler would not automatically end up to be a weak wimp when it comes to physical combat.

In a way for the MMO at least I think something more akin to Everquest. Where if your a channeler/magic user you can get a good portion of your spells from a guild house, White/Black towers. But some of the more really useful ones you have to either make yourself, through a trade skill, or find as drops from creatures or events. And depending on how you build the character it will determine your talents. The character build should allow for (like everquest) you to put points into certain skills at the beginning. Which will determine what weaves will be stronger for you or weaker for you. Perhaps even allow you to set your strength in the power. By making you spread your points between strength in the power and your skills it would prevent everyone from being completely equal in power and skill. And say every 10 levels give you 4 to 6 points extra to add to your skills but not strength in the power not after the initial character build.

Darth_Andreastarwars1.gif    anim-ring.gif    The_Wheel_of_Time__Stamp_by_Seiken_.gif

I think if they used the wii motion technology, it would be very easy to wiive the one power (tee hee hee...sorry) but seriously, i think they could make it work

do u have any idea how hard it is to do that?

My wii I got call of duty 3 and it is the hardest thing ever to aim with that pointer, because it vibrates, and requires the hand of a sergon

Hmm, think a WoT RTS would be better than an MMO. There have been numerous attempts to create WoT mods of some current games but they all end up neglected by the modders.

I agree. They could make a fantastic RTS, but making a good first or third person WoT game would be almost impossible given current technological constraints.

What sides do you think there should be if they made a WoT RTS? Should it be broken up into regions (IE Borderlanders, Aiel, Southerers, Seanchan, Andor/Cairhein/Ghealdean factions) or individual countries (in which case they would only be able to make a few, due to balance issues and production costs).

I like the region idea. Maybe you could pick a certain region then have a tech tree where you could specialize in certain countries of that region. For example...

If you picked Borderlanders you could get Shienaran heavy cavalry (the best in the world, according to Gareth Bryne)... Or if you went for the midlands/centerlands/whatever (the Andor/Cairhein/Gheldean/Two Rivers faction) you could specialize in the Queens Guards (tough infantry) or Two Rivers archers (long range and deadly archers that can blend in). Catch my drift? That'd be a way to work in all the local flavors without the impossibility of balancing 20 different factions. The downside is that it wouldn't be totally loyal to the lore, because nations like Tear and Illian (traditionally HATE each other) would be lumped into the same group. Defenders of the Stone (elite infantry) would be fun, though!

I don't know how they would work in who gets to use Asha'man/Aes Sedai, though. It is pretty obvious that Aiel would have Wise Ones and the Seanchan would have damane, but I can't figure out how to work in Asha'man and AS for the remaining factions.

Maybe the game should be based in the time before the books, to eliminate the Aes Sedai/Asha'man conundrum... but that'd rule out the Seanchan.

Maybe the southerners (Tear/Illian/Altara) could have a tech tree that lets them get Seafolk Windfinders, to call storms/blizzards on the enemy! That'd be cool.

Also, Asha'man should be able to Travel straight into battle, like at Dumai's Wells. But they have to sit in place for a few minutes first ("getting to know the ground")... Making them vulnerable to scouts. Asha'man would pretty much be superunits, though.

The WoT universe is just ripe with awesome material. But I don't trust anybody but myself to make it right!  ;)

MMO announcement... meh, I don't like MMOs.

I like team FPS, even if I have to make it myself...

http://dersaidin.ath.cx/other/w.avi

http://dersaidin.ath.cx/other/weaveing.png

Silver is right though, almost none of the resources seen there are mine - pm me if you have experience with Q3/Q4 modeling/mapping/texturing!

However I have finished coding the weaving part of things (in the video you see mouse gestures to weave, different direction combinations = different weaves), and a few weaves (coded about 5 of about 45 planned). Mostly behind the scenes stuff (as I have no artists).

As I side note; I have no idea on the legalities involved. It would be nice to set the game in the WoT universe, however if that doesn't happen I'd still finish it without WoT references/infringement.

Jethro,

It must be an insane coincidence....

....but then again, I have always wondered about that other voice in my head!  ;)

Seriously though, this is great discussion with a lot of creative ideas!  We are at the earliest stages of our game design and initially we will be focusing on the development of our console products.  While I won't be posting here often, I will follow these discussions among WOT gamers with great interest.

May peace favor your sword,

Larry Mondragon

I think it wouldn't be too difficult to get a weave system in place with current gen consoles...

Square, Triangle, Circle, X, and R-trigger would each be one of the elements. Weaving would be activated by the L-trigger, and a you would have to press buttons in certain combinations to create different weaves--combinations which increase in difficulty to match the complexity of the weave. Square might create a short burst of fire, but Square Square Triangle Circle X might create balefire.

When the weave system is not activated, Square could be parry, Triangle could be fierce attack, O could be swift attack, X could be leap, R-trigger could be the action button. The Right Analog stick would allow rolling, the Left Analog would allow movement of character (with sensitivity), the D-pad could hold quick-use inventory items (like potions), and Select would open the menu (inventory, skill tree, awards, etc).

Jethro,

It must be an insane coincidence....

....but then again, I have always wondered about that other voice in my head!  ;)

Seriously though, this is great discussion with a lot of creative ideas!  We are at the earliest stages of our game design and initially we will be focusing on the development of our console products.  While I won't be posting here often, I will follow these discussions among WOT gamers with great interest.

May peace favor your sword,

Larry Mondragon

Cool to have one of you guys reading and posting here. I was wondering will your console games be only related to the movies being released or will you release them in series based only on the books?

And if their not directly related to the upcoming movies will you be including multi-character play so the players can go through each of the characters story's from each book? As in most of the books there are multiple events that don't involve Rand Mat and Perrin but are really important to the over all story arc. Or are you only focusing on Rand Mat and Perrin for all the games?

Thanks in advance for any answers :D

Darth_Andreastarwars1.gif    anim-ring.gif    The_Wheel_of_Time__Stamp_by_Seiken_.gif

Hello Darth Andrea,

We plan to release WOT-themed games based both on the related movie(s), as well as on significant events and characters described in the books.  It is likely that our first game will be closely tied to the forthcoming WOT motion picture, but we are still in an early stage of product design.  I can say that we are giving strong consideration to an action-RPG format, with multiple characters.  To your question, we would like to include additional character options besides Rand, Mat and Perrin (Egwene, Moiraine and Nynaeve are obvious choices).  As you might guess, there are a million choices to be made, and over the coming months our product design will come into a clear focus as we complete our development team staffing and as we get a better idea of the release window for the motion picture. 

As I said in my previous post, I will stop by from time-to-time and try to answer any questions that I can.

Thanks for your interest!

Larry Mondragon

Darth Andrea,

I'm happy to answer your question.

We definitely plan on making each Wheel of Time game a multi-platform release.  At this time, I expect that Xbox, PlayStation and PC versions of our first game will likely be complemented with additional versions for the Wii and mobile platforms (most probably the Sony PSP and Nintendo DS).  Our delivery timeframe for the first product SKUs will take into consideration the release window for our initial motion picture, which could fall into 2011, but more likely, will take place in 2012 (this is my guess only, as no release dates have been yet established and we are still early in the film-making process). 

While I am writing this post, I might as well give you a hint about some recent developments in our video game business.

First, we have engaged a very experienced executive to lead our development team.  He brings years of console and MMO experience on all platforms and has a successful track record in working on major game titles.  We are just beginning to assemble our development team, but we are thrilled to begin with such a talented individual.

Second, we have just signed an agreement providing for the retail distribution of our video games in all major global markets.  Our partner is a giant in the video game industry and securing this distribution relationship at such an early stage will enable us to focus all of our energies on developing a compelling game experience.

We will probably make formal announcements about both these events in the coming New Year.

Happy Holidays!

Larry Mondragon

Red Eagle Games

Darth Andrea,

I'm happy to answer your question.

We definitely plan on making each Wheel of Time game a multi-platform release.  At this time, I expect that Xbox, PlayStation and PC versions of our first game will likely be complemented with additional versions for the Wii and mobile platforms (most probably the Sony PSP and Nintendo DS).  Our delivery timeframe for the first product SKUs will take into consideration the release window for our initial motion picture, which could fall into 2011, but more likely, will take place in 2012 (this is my guess only, as no release dates have been yet established and we are still early in the film-making process). 

While I am writing this post, I might as well give you a hint about some recent developments in our video game business.

First, we have engaged a very experienced executive to lead our development team.  He brings years of console and MMO experience on all platforms and has a successful track record in working on major game titles.  We are just beginning to assemble our development team, but we are thrilled to begin with such a talented individual.

Second, we have just signed an agreement providing for the retail distribution of our video games in all major global markets.  Our partner is a giant in the video game industry and securing this distribution relationship at such an early stage will enable us to focus all of our energies on developing a compelling game experience.

We will probably make formal announcements about both these events in the coming New Year.

Happy Holidays!

Larry Mondragon

Red Eagle Games

Thanks a lot for the info hun. Now set some Myrddraal on your modelers so they work faster :D

I am very excited about the prospect of WoT video games.  I would be most excited to see a single player WoT game with traditional RPG game play.  An RTS definitely fits as well (imagine recreating Dumai's Wells, complete with Rand bursting out of the box and kicking ass halfway through).  A first-person game wouldn't be too difficult if each weave was selectable.  However it would be better, and awesome, if there was some sort of weaving system/minigame.  For console controllers something like Ealdur Tinuviel's suggestion would work.  For the PC there could be mouse gestures, and the Wii could use the motion controls.  The problem with this is if it is done incorrectly it will ruin the game.  It would be amazing if the game didn't just recognize gestures or button combos, but actually interpreted them on the fly, allowing for experimentation with weaves.

To visualize this idea think of a fireball.  The player must "embrace the source" (begin weaving minigame), then select which of the 5 powers to use.  They select fire first by drawing a preset shape with the mouse, or perhaps moving the mouse into a designated area of the screen for fire.  They set the fire strand in front of them in a particular shape, for example a circle.  Then they select air (I'm making this up as I go) in a similar way and draw it on top of the fire strand, perhaps in the shape of an X.  If you did it right the game will realize you want a fireball.  Now imagine you do the same thing but using air for both the circle and X, and the game realizes that you want a fist of air.  The game could determine the weave's purpose by checking which flows are used in which order, and what shape each flow has (in my example the first shape determines attribute and the second determines function - so an X of air in the second spot means "throw it in front of me as a weapon").  A time limit and penalties for using more threads could provide a natural way of making the better weaves harder to do.  The trick is to make sure the minigame is deep enough to not be boring and quick/easy enough to allow the player to do fast-paced things like fight.  Fighting against another channeler would invlove trying to disrupt the opponent's weaves while weaving your own attacks.  Also character improvement/leveling could be done by increasing proficiency with a particular element, increasing time allowed for weaving, increasing max number of flows per weave, and learning new gestures for weaves.  It would be funny if you could experiment with weaves and get burned/hurt from something backfiring.

There would have to be some sort of overarching targeting system because it would be hard to do much else while weaving, like aim or evade.  There could also be things like ter'angreal that are like puzzles, you have to apply the correct flows in the correct locations to use them.

Spirit razor: O of spirit, X of air

Quick Healing: + of spirit, 8 of air, sideways 8 of water.

Shield: X of spirit, 8 of spirit, sideways 8 of spirit

Balefire: O of fire, X of air, 8 of spirit, sideways 8 of spirit, X of water, + of earth, O of fire.

Wow this post turned into a complete geekfest for my absurd video game idea.  It's too much, but when I saw that the developers are looking at these forums I couldn't resist, no matter how preliminary things might be at this point.

Archived