DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What will you do if AMOL official spoilers leak out?

RAND AL THOR

I found this at theoryland. The orignal post er edited this out.

During the last signing session Brandon let slip a very small part of RJ's plans for the last battle. He swore us secrecy, but it's been killing me

There was about 20 people that heard this from what the poster had said. There is a good chance it is posted somewhere.

LOL, It was edited out, because as you could read down it was a joke :P

Brandon didn't let anything slip :P But I wanted to mess with people from Theoryland.

I would try and avoid them. I heard the spoiler that Semirhage lays waste to Seandar and kills the Imperial Family in KoD and was looking forward to seeing how RJ handled a large-scale action sequence after a lengthy break from doing that. Then it just turned out that Semirhage just reported the event afterwards to Suroth: "Yeah, I nuked Seandar, it was rad."

So I think I'll avoid them to stop my anticipation rising too much.

As for how spoilers get out, publishers send out ARCs (Advance Reader Copies) to reviewers, bloggers and magazines to generate pre-release excitement. With a major series with a big fanbase like Wheel of Time, it's not really necessary, but Tor and Orbit did it with KoD because of the extremely bad reviews of CoT and they wanted to kickstart some more excitement for the series. That's why VERY detailed spoilers for KoD got out, as hundreds of people had read the novel weeks before it hit the shops.

It will be interesting to see what they do for AMoL. There's a lot of scepticism that this is really the last book, that Sanderson will have managed to pull it off and so on, and Tor and Orbit may want to get ARCs out there to generate good reviews before it comes out. At the same time, they probably don't want the conclusion to a story that some people will have been waiting for for almost twenty years to be spoiled ahead of time.

I'd read them with delight! It wouldn't spoil the book at all. (I always read the last chapter, or at least the last few pages, of any book the first time through - even mysteries.)

Umm...I don't want to be insulting or anything but why on earth would you do that? It makes 0% sense. I'll be satisfied if you can provide just one valid reason.

By reading the last chapter, you effectively ruin the book for yourself. The last chapter is called the last chapter, because it's meant to be read last.

So, if you read the last chapter in EotW, you know that Rand is the dragon and that he fights with Ba'alzamon etc.. and then you go to the beginning? I would never be able to read the book if I found out the ending first. This really sounds very very weird.

Umm...I don't want to be insulting or anything but why on earth would you do that? It makes 0% sense. I'll be satisfied if you can provide just one valid reason.

By reading the last chapter, you effectively ruin the book for yourself. The last chapter is called the last chapter, because it's meant to be read last.

So, if you read the last chapter in EotW, you know that Rand is the dragon and that he fights with Ba'alzamon etc.. and then you go to the beginning? I would never be able to read the book if I found out the ending first. This really sounds very very weird.

Are you saying that knowing that Rand was the Dragon - early in EotW would have spoiled it for you?    If that is the case how did you ever get past the first few chapters?    I think that it became obvious, at least to me, that Rand WAS the dragon real quick in the books.    So if that was your criteria for fininshing, I am very surprised that you even finnishe the first book, much less the following books.

Just a curiosity.  ??? ??? ???

By the way, I have known several people that read the end - before they get there - and I also have never been able to understand the concept either.    ??? ??? :P

Are you saying that knowing that Rand was the Dragon - early in EotW would have spoiled it for you? If that is the case how did you ever get past the first few chapters?
One could also ask about rereads, given that when rereading one already knows that Rand is the Dragon, and one already knows the ending.

Maybe some people prefer to know the destination before beginning the journey.

Are you saying that knowing that Rand was the Dragon - early in EotW would have spoiled it for you?    If that is the case how did you ever get past the first few chapters?    I think that it became obvious, at least to me, that Rand WAS the dragon real quick in the books.    So if that was your criteria for fininshing, I am very surprised that you even finnishe the first book, much less the following books.

Just a curiosity.   ??? ??? ???

By the way, I have known several people that read the end - before they get there - and I also have never been able to understand the concept either.     ??? ??? :P

Well it was pretty obvious that Rand is the dragon due to the unnecessary prologue which spoiled a large part of the book- but I was just using that as an example since that is the goal of the first book.

It wasn't my criteria for finishing, of course. As I said, I used it as an example (and not a good one it seems). The prologue was a hook but also a hopeless spoiler that gave away most of the plot.

I re-read a story only if I really really like it and if I know that there is more to be gleaned from re reads. For eg, I wouldn't re read Twilight even though I loved it because there isn't much going on compared to the WoT. But I've currently stopped even re reading the WoT- primarily because I don't forget much due to this forum.

I'd read them.

I don't mind knowing how the story ends or what happens, it's how things develop that matters to me. Wheel of Time is an exception as I never ever read anything except the books in strict order, but for many books like the Blak Magician Trilogy I had read almost a chapter-by-chapter analysis of the books before I even picked up the first. I still enjoyed it immensely.

I hate spoilers, how could anyone want them.  Just look at the word.  Spoiled.  You may as well go ask for the taint.

When I was 15 or so my buddy was reading this Clive Barker book, called Imajica.  Really good, btw, very fantasy drivin not so much horror as you might think from him.  But anyway, me and some friends were sitting in the circle, and he told us like the last 200 pages of the book.  I remember thinking the whole concept was cool.

So like 12 years later, having long forgotten my teenage years, I grab this long, interesting book by Barker, get through 800 pages and suddenly remember a hazy conversation...I knew the end of the book.  And it was a surprise ending too.  Completely ruined my mood for like a month.

Ummm I actually think the last chapter is called the last chapter becasue.....it's the last chapter  ;)

And if I was reading a new book, I agree I wouldn't want to know what happens, but lots of ppl don't have any self control  :P

Ummm I actually think the last chapter is called the last chapter becasue.....it's the last chapter  ;)

Indeed yes. It's not called the prologue, so I don't get why people read it first.

Also, I truly don't believe it's a matter of self control. You go buy a book, and read the last page. You don't know the author nor the plot nor anything else that may make you anxious to read the last page so it can't be called self-control.

Of course this only applies to a situation where you are reading a new book.

When AMOL is released (after 2 years of intensive work on so many people's part), you go buy it, read the last page and see that "Oh Rand is alive after all." Then you read the entire book, where the author is building up the suspense of "Is he going to die or live?"

Does that truly make sense? Building suspense is not easy, and if you read the back first, I would truly say that such a reader is only interested in the plot, and not in the actual book (which is more than the plot btw).

I know people are entitled to their own opinions but this is really ridiculous and I can't help but say all this.

• 2 weeks later...

When AMOL is released (after 2 years of intensive work on so many people's part), you go buy it, read the last page and see that "Oh Rand is alive after all." Then you read the entire book, where the author is building up the suspense of "Is he going to die or live?"

Does that truly make sense? Building suspense is not easy, and if you read the back first, I would truly say that such a reader is only interested in the plot, and not in the actual book (which is more than the plot btw).

Just what I wanted to say... Actually, it's two different kinds of reading - depending on whether you know the ending or not. Both is possible, let's admit  ;), everyone chooses his way. I enjoy re-reading first WoT books, knowing the ending of KoD - it gives a chance to see the birth of RJ's plots, their complication etc.

Yet I will not read the AMoL spoilers - I want to show respect for RJ's work. If He wanted us to read the last chapter first, He would have put it as Prologue.

I'd post some spoilers disguised as personal theories and wait for Mr Ares to come shoot them down.

Then wait for AMOL, and post the quotes proving i was right in the 'theory' topic i made, all the while grinning smugly.

I'm sorry for resurrecting, but this was REALLY funny (for any value of <Mr Ares>, really).

Wow! I haven’t checked back for a while, so I had no idea I’d “kicked over an anthill”, so to speak!

I also do my lurking (and infrequent posting) between 2 and 3am, usually, so I don’t expect replies.

So I am amazed at how many people seemed to be affronted by my reading the last chapter first in books. Mind you, I was not saying this is the best way, nor expecting anyone else to follow suit; it was a tiny personal digression. Nor was I offering my practices up for judgment; I have no deep reasons to do it – I do it this way because I do it this way. Period.

In my defense, I must say that, although I enjoy mysteries, I never try to play detective, or “solve the crime.” I read them for the characters and background (i.e., Tony Hillerman, Nevada Barr, Anne Perry). Therefore, it doesn’t matter to me that I know who did it. Nor would I care if someone told me how a movie or book ends (unless it was a really icky ending, then I wouldn’t see/read it). That may be the best answer: that I like happy endings, and want to make sure I’m going to get one.

In the WoT books, I’ve invested 15 years and eleven books; I’ll read it even if everyone dies, although, given how the books have been written so far, I hope the main characters at least will come through. But yes, I’m dying to know how it comes out, and I’d welcome any real “spoilers”.

And by the way, I also am trying not to be insulting…

• 3 weeks later...

Archived