DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What will you do if AMOL official spoilers leak out?

RAND AL THOR

First of all, I really have no idea how spoilers to a yet-to-be-published-book do get out. It even happened to the last Harry Potter book and I am not sure how. Some evil betrayal, no doubt.

How would you react if actual spoilers got out? What we discuss on the boards is purely hypothetical-so they are not exactly spoilers. But, if actual spoilers did get out (And Heavens forbid that)- then would you seize the chance to read them-or would you avoid them?

I never read spoilers. I would avoid them alltogether.

(Hmm..what are official spoilers?)

I'd try to restrain myself from reading them, but I'd only last about a week or so before I crack and read them..... then I would regret it right after  :P

and then, being the sneaky guy I am, I would sign on here and post an illaborate "theory" on something big and get everyone worked up about it.... and then I'd probably regret that too  :D

I found this at theoryland. The orignal post er edited this out.

During the last signing session Brandon let slip a very small part of RJ's plans for the last battle. He swore us secrecy, but it's been killing me

There was about 20 people that heard this from what the poster had said. There is a good chance it is posted somewhere.

Harry Potter ones leaked because a guy took digital photos of each page and posted them--probably someone in one of the publishing houses.

That's just horrible. Too bad the guy was never identified.

And my questions is being slightly misunderstood: I'm wondering what you would do if you come across a website or newspaper article or whatever that claims that it contains AMOL spoilers. ie. You are presented with a choice of read and go ahead or turn you back and ignore.

I'd read them myself, to soothe my curiousity. It wouldn't detract my enjoyment of the book when it is released however, since well, WoT is a huge story with many plotlines to fulfill.

Admittedly, if the spoiler were something like... <Your favorite characters> die at the end, I'd never read the book. :P

I'd post some spoilers disguised as personal theories and wait for Mr Ares to come shoot them down.

Then wait for AMOL, and post the quotes proving i was right in the 'theory' topic i made, all the while grinning smugly.

Some flaws with this: what if Luckers or Majsju or someone else shoots it down? What if I've read the spoilers as well and don't shoot your theory down? What if I ask for evidence from you to support your theory, and when the evidence you provide from the first 11 books is clearly insufficient to make your "theory" the most likely, point out that the evidence is insufficient? That way, I shoot down your theory and you still won't be able to grin smugly, because my reasons for shooting it down would be wholly legitimate. No change there then.

As to whether or not I read the spoilers, it depends how I feel at the time. Maybe I will, mabe I won't.

And my questions is being slightly misunderstood: I'm wondering what you would do if you come across a website or newspaper article or whatever that claims that it contains AMOL spoilers. ie. You are presented with a choice of read and go ahead or turn you back and ignore.

I wouldn't read it.  It would kill me to do that, but I wouldn't want to ruin even a little bit of the story.  After all, you wouldn't know how much of a spoiler it is.  I'd probably end up having to burn the newspaper article or block the website from my computer.  And then I'd probably regret it afterward, because I'd still be curious.

Could someone please post the link to these "Spoilers"?     I want to make sure that I don't accidentally stumble upon them!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

A link would not be currently currently due to the fact that they apparently do not yet exist. And let us hope it stays that way and that no dumbo starts photographing the pages while its being printed.

A link would not be currently currently due to the fact that they apparently do not yet exist. And let us hope it stays that way and that no dumbo starts photographing the pages while its being printed.

Glad to hear that.    :( :(  >:( >:( :'( :'( :'( :'(    ;)

I'd post some spoilers disguised as personal theories and wait for Mr Ares to come shoot them down.

Then wait for AMOL, and post the quotes proving i was right in the 'theory' topic i made, all the while grinning smugly.

You just wrote my dream :)

I'd stay as far away from them as I possibly could, which would probably mean not turning on my PC until the book is in my hands. But seriously, that's not possible (me not turning on my PC, that is) so I'll just try to stay away from sites that parade the leaks around. And close my eyes and cry if I happen to follow a blind link to massive spoilers.

Read them.  I always read the GRRM spoiler chapters.  Maybe I do that because he is so slow in writing the books, that it keeps me interested.

I do that as well.    To me it is not a problem with GrrM because the Spoiler Chapters that he releases/reads are always near the beginning of the book, so it is just kind of like a preview of things to come.    Another thing that I find especially enjoyable about reading his Spoilers is that he frequently changes them as the book progresses so the spoiler you read before release will most likely be significantly different than what is actually published.  On top of that, if you read several variations of the spoiler you can get a little "view" into his work and thought process as his book matures. 

Kind of like watching an artist at work.    VERY Enjoyable!    At least to me.

i would read the article/follow the link in a second. Spoilers dont take away from the storys' likability factor for me at all. No matter how big or small. i would be able to wonder about how this was going to happen or figure out a way to get over my fav character being killed off or a plot ending i really didnt want to happen so i would be able to continue reading rather then throwing the book down in disbelief/despair and wasting valuable reading time when the book comes out. :)

Archived