DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

So Gawyn... Where Will He End Up?

DuDZiK

Egwene had that dream where Gawyn essentially either accepted bonding and would presumably marry her, and another where he would spurn her.

What will happen if he finds out Egwene is in the Tower, and the rebel Amyrlin besides? Moreover, what will happen when he hears about Elayne being in Andor, about to be crowned without the First Prince there to protect her and lead her armies?

What will he decide: to be with Egwene, or to be with Elayne, or something in between somehow?

I somehow think he'll hear about Elayne first and will go to her. Sometime either before or after that Ewgene will meet Elayne in Tel'aran'rhiod and tell her where she is and tell her about her and Gawyn. Elayne will relay this information to Gawyn, who will then choose to return to Tar Valon to help and/or save her. Maybe his younglings will once again decide the fate of the Amyrlin in the White Tower.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quote:

Maybe his younglings will once again decide the fate of the Amyrlin in the White Tower.

Well Egwene has specifically ordered her sisters not to rescue here.  She is trying to undermine Elaida from within. Thus, any rescue attempt by Gawyn would not be looked upon in a favorable light by Egwene.

Well Egwene has specifically ordered her sisters not to rescue here.  She is trying to undermine Elaida from within. Thus, any rescue attempt by Gawyn would not be looked upon in a favorable light by Egwene.

Your point being .... ?  Its not like Gawyn would ask her permission first.  And besides, what better way to spark a possible conflict between them.

Gawyn: Come, Egwene, I've risked everything to save you!

Egwene: I didn't want to be saved, you woolhead!

Gawyn: ... ungrateful &@^$* ...

Egwene: ... presumptuous *^@#&%!!!  I'm the friggin Amyrlin!

Then the choice:

Gawyn:  Fine.  -chops off her head-

or

Gawyn: I'm sorry honey.  I should have been able to telepathically know that you actually wanted to be here.  Can you ever forgive me?

Egwene:  Yes, but you have to practice your telepathic powers every day young man!

Surely ONE of the relationships in WoT has to go wrong? And i mean actually go wrong, not just have issues like Perrin and Faile. Similarly we surely have to start losing a couple of key characters a'la Dumbledore in Harry Potter (sorry...) to make it remain... realistic (as realistic as a fantasy/fiction masterpiece can be).

Perhaps Gawyn and Egwene isnt a glorious ending after all. Certainly RJ hasnt spent much time cultivating their relationship.

First Gawyn accepts to become Egwenes warder. Then he learns that Elayne is now queen, and that he is bound by duty to be there with her. The conflict of these will make his head explode ;D

And that Elayne is pregnant with the babies of the man he solemnly believes murdered his mother. And he's tied up with all these Aes Sedai whilst his half-brother is a white cloak...

First Gawyn accepts to become Egwenes warder. Then he learns that Elayne is now queen, and that he is bound by duty to be there with her. The conflict of these will make his head explode ;D

And that Elayne is pregnant with the babies of the man he solemnly believes murdered his mother. And he's tied up with all these Aes Sedai whilst his half-brother is a white cloak...

He'd be a fairly tragic character if he wasn't such a chump.

I think he'll accept the bond and remain with Egwene in the tower.  Wouldn't Elayne's husband/lover take up the duties of First Prince of the Sword ala Gareth Bryne and Morgase?

Also, how is he going to react to finding out that his mother isn't dead, just living in servitude to the best friend of the man he though murdered her.  He can stop thinking about killing Rand and start thinking about killing Perrin.

I think that at some point she will accept help from Gawyn when she decides she has sown enough discord and that more would eventually hurt the tower too much.  Then she will escape with him and return full force with her Aes Sedai and thousand novices to reclaim the tower. All she has to do is teach all the novices how to link and shield and there is enough novices that they alone could sheild every Sister in the tower.  Then Egwene could walk right up to Elaida's study and "remove" her right out the window.  Just a theory.

I see it more like this, the Seanchan attack the Tower, ala Egwene's Drea, and Gawyn helps to defend it. Somehow, during the Tower attack Elaida will be killed/deposed, the rebel AS will also attack the Seanchan, and all ends well before the Last Battle. Egwene is already collecting a following in the Tower, and is already the rebel Amyrilin (sp). She grabs the reins of the united WT, hooks up with Gawyn, and Bonds him. :)

Egwene had that dream where Gawyn essentially either accepted bonding and would presumably marry her, and another where he would spurn her.

It's a little more serious than spurning, since Min had the viewing that he'll either kneel before Egwene, or snap her neck.

For that reason alone I think they'll probably hook up, as annoying as I find her, I can't see Egwene dying.

Off topic, but I have a bad feeling Loial is going to die, because he's such a nice guy and it would tug at your heartstrings, and he really isn't extremely necessary for the good guys to win the Last Battle.

Off topic, but I have a bad feeling Loial is going to die, because he's such a nice guy and it would tug at your heartstrings, and he really isn't extremely necessary for the good guys to win the Last Battle.

I'm not sure Loial can die. I think he's the one recording events for posterity.

I can see the Seanchan attacking the Tower and Elaida being killed or collared, or perhaps Egwene simply shows enough bravery and leadership in the battle that everyone chooses her over Elaida. Perhaps she puts aside the rebellion for the moment and orders her followers to help defend Tar Valon from the Seanchan. Perhaps the rebels are the ones that essentially save the Tower from the brink of defeat and that is what brings more Aes Sedai to her side.

Something has to happen so that the White Tower is essentially 'untainted' as Egwene's dream or Elaida foretelling said it would be.

Quote:

I can see the Seanchan attacking the Tower and Elaida being killed or collared

Except Daman do not know how to travel, so the Seanchen would have to go through Andor and Cairhern to get to the White Tower. Since the black Tower is in Andor this also means fighting and beating the Black Tower.  Its possible but I do not think they have enough time before TG. After TG, depending on how things shake out is much more probable (remember nothing in egwene's Dream specifically said that the encounter wityh the Seanchen would take place before TG).

Except Daman do not know how to travel, so the Seanchen would have to go through Andor and Cairhern to get to the White Tower. Since the black Tower is in Andor this also means fighting and beating the Black Tower.

Actually, they could transport a strike force of several hundred damane and support troops by to'raken and not have to fight anyone.  And these forces are almost certainly already in motion before the end of KoD (witness Tuon's concerns about Mat seeing maps of the Seanchan armies movements).

The Seanchan have another access route as well ... from Almoth Plain, northeast across the Mountains of Mist, then across Caralain Grass.  The whole area is virtually unpopulated and unclaimed.  They could set up 3 or 4 supply/rest stations, and have an open road right to Tar Valon.  And nobody would know ... the Borderlanders are already south of where they would be, as is Bashere ... and all of Rand's armies are using gateways to Travel to Arad Doman.

There are quite possibly several thousand Seanchan soldiers and several hundred damane/sul'dam pairs waiting as a strike force within a couple hundred miles of Tar Valon right now.

However ... it is also quite possible that the attack will not occur until after Tarmon Gai'don ... and that Nicola's Foretelling regarding "the great battle done, but the world not done with battle" is referring to that.

In either case, though, the forces are already in motion.  Keep in mind, too ... if the Seanchan work with Rand and the Aes Sedai for Tarmon Gai'don, they could well learn how to weave a gateway ...

Quote:

And these forces are almost certainly already in motion before the end of KoD (witness Tuon's concerns about Mat seeing maps of the Seanchan armies movements).

She could of as easily been worried about Mat figuring out the forces aimed at Illian.

Actually, they could transport a strike force of several hundred damane and support troops by to'raken and not have to fight anyone

Frankly RAW I think this is a weak argument, several hundred damane (with their Leash Holders and support troops), even accepting that they may not know that two armies are squaring off against each other in Tar Valon, they would send more then just a few hundred soldiers ass a defensive force.  Seanchen are rather could military stragegist and tacticians, they would tend on beliving that they should err on the side of sending too many soldiers to act as a screen not to few.

Frankly RAW I think this is a weak argument, several hundred damane (with their Leash Holders and support troops), even accepting that they may not know that two armies are squaring off against each other in Tar Valon, they would send more then just a few hundred soldiers ass a defensive force.  Seanchen are rather could military stragegist and tacticians, they would tend on beliving that they should err on the side of sending too many soldiers to act as a screen not to few.

I should have been more clear.  I'm talking about several hundred damane/sul'dam pairs and perhaps 10,000 support troops.

I'm not sure Loial can die. I think he's the one recording events for posterity.

I doubt he's the only one, seeing as some of the things recorded so far are things that he couldn't possibly know. (The only people who heard Asmodean's last words, for example, were Asmodean and his killer, so unless Loial were to interview the killer...)

Actually, it raises the question of who wrote ALL of the parts that were in a Darkfriend's or Forsaken's point of view, too...

I personally have the strange feeling that Gawyn will die (hopefully after he finds out his mother is still alive and stops hating Rand...), and Egwene will end up with Galad, who really isn't a bad guy, he's just slightly misguided and attention/love deprived.  I personally would not mind this, I like Galad.  I really wish Gawyn was snap out of it though, he really is an idiot...

I doubt he's the only one, seeing as some of the things recorded so far are things that he couldn't possibly know. (The only people who heard Asmodean's last words, for example, were Asmodean and his killer, so unless Loial were to interview the killer...)

Actually, it raises the question of who wrote ALL of the parts that were in a Darkfriend's or Forsaken's point of view, too...

I guess a part of me has always felt that this was being presented more like a "history" than as a story happening "now". In other words, more like our friendly Ogier sitting down to write the definitive story of The Dragon Reborn. I'm sure it's a silly idea.. but I guess because in someways, what with all my blasted reading all the time, I see a bit of Loial in myself.. much more so than with any of the other characters.

He'd be a fairly tragic character if he wasn't such a chump.

I think he'll accept the bond and remain with Egwene in the tower.  Wouldn't Elayne's husband/lover take up the duties of First Prince of the Sword ala Gareth Bryne and Morgase?

Also, how is he going to react to finding out that his mother isn't dead, just living in servitude to the best friend of the man he though murdered her.  He can stop thinking about killing Rand and start thinking about killing Perrin.

It would be pretty awesome if Gawyn and Perrin killed each other. Pretty good way to end 2 lame characters ;)

Hey, I like Perrin, I don't want to see him die.  I also don't think any of the Two Rivers trio will die.  In one of the first couple of books Ishameal i think it was said that the fate of one would be the fate of them all.  IE: If one dies, the others will too.  And we know for a fact that Mat is not going to die because RJ was going to write a book about Mat and Tuon after TG.  It was in one of his blog entries if you want to look it up.  But you'll have to do some searching it was way back there.  But since Mat isn't going to die I have no reason to think Mat and Rand will. 

Gawyn on the other hand only has the two options: Live or die, but we don't know which one actually goes with Egwene and which doesn't.  He may kill Egwene and live (which would be really depressing, I actually started liking Egwene again once she was captured), or he could accept Egwene and die tragically protecting her or something.  I personally want a happy ending for him, he was a good guy who just didn't know what to believe around people who did nothing but keep secrets.  I also want Galad to have a happy ending too though.  I wonder when he's going to find out Rand's his brother....

Archived