DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

So Gawyn... Where Will He End Up?

DuDZiK

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt that a fight between Rand and Gawyn is in the offing ... first, Gawyn promised Egwene he wouldn't kill him ... second, it would be an awfully uninteresting fight.  Gawyn could take Rand apart with a sword now, of course ... but Rand could swat him aside with the Power in half a second flat.  More likely (since he won't want to kill Elayne's brother, no matter the provocation) he'll just wrap him up in Air and walk away.

It is speculation.  But it would fit, and it would be oh so satisfying.

*slaps forehead* DUH!!

When I read of that vision, I always assumed Berelain was to fall for a gai'shan or something :-[

But Galad... that would most certainly be satisfying, having Berelain fall head over heels in love with a man as handsome as she is beautiful. Oh how the tables will have turned ;D

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect that Min's (or was it Egwene's?) viewing of Berelain, in which she falls for a guy in white, means that she's going to hook up with Galad.

Sure, it could be any gai'shain or Whitecloak, but I think it'll be Galad.

So that's who it was! I was racking my brain, trying to remember who Min saw that would fall for a man in white. Do you remember whether the viewing was that she would fall in love, or was it that she would marry him? I forget that too..........................

So that's who it was! I was racking my brain, trying to remember who Min saw that would fall for a man in white. Do you remember whether the viewing was that she would fall in love, or was it that she would marry him? I forget that too..........................

"...Well, she'll [berelain] be snubbed up sooner or later. I saw nothing of any use to you. Just a man in white who will make her fall head  over heels."

Lord of Chaos, pg 885 pb

...Is the exact quote. Personally, I've always wondered whether the "she'll be snubbed" comment has anything to do with Berelain falling for the man in white. Because I could totally see her falling for Galad, and him not being interested at all.

Galad is one of my favourite characters, and I would be very disappointed in Galad if he fell for Berelain.  On the other hand, the sparks between the two of them would make for some very interesting encounters!  ;D

I see many people on here want Gawyn to die, to create a suitable tragedy. Now, I've wanted to face-palm him ever since he came down on the side of Elaida (and that because of his basic chauvinistic attitude towards women!), but just think of this: once Gawyn dies of old age, Egwene will still live for another four or five hundred years! (Same goes for Nynaeve and Lan.)

Galad is one of my favourite characters, and I would be very disappointed in Galad if he fell for Berelain.  On the other hand, the sparks between the two of them would make for some very interesting encounters!  ;D

Agreed :)

I see many people on here want Gawyn to die, to create a suitable tragedy. Now, I've wanted to face-palm him ever since he came down on the side of Elaida (and that because of his basic chauvinistic attitude towards women!), but just think of this: once Gawyn dies of old age, Egwene will still live for another four or five hundred years! (Same goes for Nynaeve and Lan.)

Yes, but then we wouldn't have the satisfaction of seeing Gawyn die alone and miserable, cursing his own stupidity with his very last breath.

...At least, in an ideal aMoL, that's what would happen. ;)

I could see Gawyn getting himself killed in some pointless effort to "avenge" his mother.  I would love for him to realize just what an idiot he's been in the instant before death comes for him.  Of course I'm baised because I never liked Gawyn after he killed Hammar and Coulin.  However, if Gawyn hadn't supported Eliada and Siuan stilled Nyneave might have never healed severing.  So, in a way, Gawyn was just fulfilling destiny, I still dislike him though

I do not see why you guys hate Gawyn. He made what turned out to be the wrong choices based on imperfect information. Wow, he is human, what a miserable thing to be.  He has a good heart and does not intentionally choose to do evil or selfish acts (except of course keeping Egwene's presence from the Tower A.S. while in Cairhern based on his love for her).

Quote:

...Except for that time he let Siuan escape after killing dozens of Warders (his teachers!) to help keep her imprisoned in the first place. 

Which he did for the sake of Min. Like many men when turn between which moral alternatives to take we let a pretty face be the deciding element. ;D ;D ;D

...Except for that time he let Siuan escape after killing dozens of Warders (his teachers!) to help keep her imprisoned in the first place.

He did that because he thought he might need her alive in order to find Elayne.  Given the choice between her as Amyrlin, or not as Amyrlin, he chose to take her down, beacuse of what she did to Elayne.  But given the choice between her alive or dead, he chose alive, not for his own sake (he would have gladly chopped off her head) but because he had a duty to Elayne, and he thought he might need her to fulfill it.

Gawyn is alot of things, but selfish isn't one of them ... he does what he does mostly because of how he perceives his duty to Elayne and Andor.

He's been told, repetedly, that Rand didn't kill his mother, and yet he still is feeling homicidal towards him.

He sided with Eladia.

He lead all the kiddies against the warders and butchered some of his teachers.

Its rather early in the morning, forgive me if I don't get things right / make my point badly. He's one of the characters I just can't find sympathy for.

He's been told, repetedly, that Rand didn't kill his mother, and yet he still is feeling homicidal towards him.

And of course, he's just supposed to take their word for it.  Just because he loves Egwene doesn't mean he thinks she's always right ... and even she had to admit she didn't have proof.

He sided with Eladia.

Yes, he sided with the woman he grew up with against the woman who was sending the sister he was sworn to protect into danger, and keeping him from doing his duty.

Actually, he led the "kiddies" to stop an attack by their teachers to break out the woman he regarded as a traitor, to protect the Tower authorities he had been raised and taught to support.  He didn't attack Hammar and Coulin ... he led a defensive action against them, and in the process, killed them.

He's one of the characters I just can't find sympathy for.

Then we differ.  I feel great pity for him.  He is the epitome of a good person with the best of intentions but bad information caught up in events far beyond his control, doing the best he can.  People like Gawyn are the evidence that there are honest people on both sides of any conflict.

Quote:

He sided with Eladia.

Its rather early in the morning, forgive me if I don't get things right / make my point badly. He's one of the characters I just can't find sympathy for.

One, he has also heard numerous stories "confirming" that Rand killed his mother. those who have told him that Rand did not kill her, offer no proof and have reasons to be biased in favor of Rand.

Second, he approved the deposing of Siuan who without sufficent reasons (as far as he knows)placed his sister (who he has sworn to protect) outside his reach and in harms way.

Third, he led the younglings in defense of the Tower against rebels who would have placed Siuan back in power.

All regretible, but all the main characters have done things that if they knew more facts they would not have done. We must act on imperfect information and sometimes time proves we acted unwisely.That does not make him a bad, wimpy or unrealitic character it makes him human.

He sided with Eladia.

Yes, he sided with the woman he grew up with against the woman who was sending the sister he was sworn to protect into danger, and keeping him from doing his duty.

Actually, he led the "kiddies" to stop an attack by their teachers to break out the woman he regarded as a traitor, to protect the Tower authorities he had been raised and taught to support.  He didn't attack Hammar and Coulin ... he led a defensive action against them, and in the process, killed them.

You know, I have read all the books countless times, yet that fact never penetrated through my thick skull.  :-[

I was so blinded by my low opinion of Elaida that it never occured to me that Gawyn grew up with her around, and must therefor have at least some fondness and respect for her, while Siuan is a relative stranger to him.

Thanks, Robert.

I think real characterization is one of the strongest facets of Jordan's writing ... his characters make sense, within their own perspective, and he doesn't mix their perspectives in his writing ... Gawyn is neither stupid nor selfish, and yet we, as readers, get to see how even so, his actions place him in opposition to "our hero" ... even though both of them would cut off their own leg, figuratively or literally, to save Elayne.

Archived