DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Maybe a new, possible theory on who killed Asmodean

Lacey

I am probably going to butcher spellings, but I don’t feel like referencing my names, etc.

A friend of mine and I were talking about who killed Asmodean.  We may have a new, workable theory.  He think Moraine is the most likely to have a motive (knowing who Asmo was, etc.).  So, we started thinking.  We know that Moraine had already leapt through the doorframe with Lanfear before Asmo disappeared.  What if Moraine instructed someone powerful, that she could trust, to kill Asmo (Lan).  After all, you would have to prepare the assassin, and you just can’t tell anyone that Asmo is a forsaken.  We know Asmo is a forsaken (powerful), but Lanfear had weakened his channeling so that he was only able to teach Rand.  I would say Lan could kill him in his weakened state.  Jordan also never wrote specifically about Lan’s journey to his new bond holder.  However, we are let in on the fact that during his journey he was near death.  This seems to be a possible theory.  What do you think?  Has this theory already been presented?

I am probably going to butcher spellings, but I don’t feel like referencing my names, etc.

A friend of mine and I were talking about who killed Asmodean.  We may have a new, workable theory.  He think Moraine is the most likely to have a motive (knowing who Asmo was, etc.).  So, we started thinking.  We know that Moraine had already leapt through the doorframe with Lanfear before Asmo disappeared.  What if Moraine instructed someone powerful, that she could trust, to kill Asmo (Lan).  After all, you would have to prepare the assassin, and you just can’t tell anyone that Asmo is a forsaken.  We know Asmo is a forsaken (powerful), but Lanfear had weakened his channeling so that he was only able to teach Rand.  I would say Lan could kill him in his weakened state.  Jordan also never wrote specifically about Lan’s journey to his new bond holder.  However, we are let in on the fact that during his journey he was near death.  This seems to be a possible theory.  What do you think?  Has this theory already been presented?

Two reasons your wrong.

First, there is no motive. Moiraine knew from the start, most likely, that it was Asmodean. She didn't approve, but she understood why. Why would she deprive him of his teacher?

Secondly, less than a day elapses between Moiraine dying and Asmodean's death. How on earth could he get to Caemlyn in time? He didn't go by ship, thats for sure (The situation occured at the dock, and he rode AWAY from it). Physically impossible.

One thing i dont get, it is widely believed that Graendal killed Asmodean. The jury's out for me, but what i keep thinking is - how did they (forsaken) know where he was? I cant remember if they found out somehow, its a few books ago, but Demandred is missing, and they dont have a clue where he is. All the forsaken know where Sammael is, they assume Mesaana is in the Tower, i dont think they KNOW where Semhirage is, and few (maybe just Sammael) know where Graendal is / who she is. They know Rahvin to be dead, and Moghedian 'in the shadows' but apart from Lanfear, who put him there, I dont remember any of the others knowing where Asmodean was. Surely it would have to have been someone who knew WHO he was, WHERE he was (literally, they were waiting for him in the corridor) and were able to get close to him...

you will have to go back and read the books. lanfear told the four horsemen of the apocolypse (rahvin, graendal, and sammael, with mog eavesdropping) that asmo was with rand.

Yes, they knew he was with Rand in Cairhien, but we have no evidence of how they would know he was in Caemlyn at that time, that place, since Rand's plan to go there was kept as secret as possible. There are no facts to show how they would know this, but of course plenty of supposition or theorising can be applied, although that can be as misleading as it can be helpful.

Trakand_01 - have you read AKoD? In there you will find a weave used that allows a channeler to locate another person, but they must have had physical contact with that person to do so. So, that is a possible way to be able to find him instantly, although of course we don't know about that weave at the time of the murder.

But my thinking is Moridin killed Asmodean as he is the DO right hand man and the DO knew about Asmodean being killed
Aside from the fact that I wish death on anyone who still finds comments about that horse funny, I thought this post needed to be responded to. Ishy=dead. Morridin=not alive yet, and if he was he wasn't introduced so he wasn't the killer beacuse the killer had to be introduced.

Yes' date=' they knew he was with Rand in Cairhien, but we have no evidence of how they would know he was in Caemlyn at that time[/quote']They didn't need to, unless they specifically went there to kill him. Go there for another reason and take advantage of the opportunity. Not difficult. And are you, or anyone else, willing to share a better theory than Graendal? (In the proper thread, please).

On the actual theory, Lan's bond had just been snapped so he wasn't exactly rational, but expecting him to leave Rand, find a Waygate, go to Caemlyn, kill Asmo, then make a straight line for Salidar is asking a bit much when he could have just killed him on the docks. It's ridiculously unlikely, and Graendal is the only theory that isn't.

Finally:

Could it have been one of the wise ones? They are dreamwalkers and Egwene had made comment about spying on his dreams before. And we all know they would kill in a instant if they thought for a moment he was forsaken as we know him to have been.

Darth_Andrea

Unless he warded his dreams to stop them finding out who he was (a reasonable precaution, wouldn't you say?). And I think "random Dreamwalker" is extending the already loose definition of "intuitively obvious" RJ (BBHPN) used a bit too far. And which Dreamwalkers had the opportunity, and why did they dispose of the body and never mention what they did? (Alright, they could just think Rand doesn't need to know.) It doesn't really work, although it is devoid of the gaping logical flaws found in, say, Moiraine dunnit theories.

well, as to how anyone might make the assumption that rand was in caemlyn, he did attack the palace, surges of power might have alerted people, things like that. the remaining 3 might make the jump in logic that where rand is, so is asmo. after all, if you had a forsaken on a leash, wouldnt you want to keep them where you can keep an eye on thier activities?

It should. But as an aside, no, it wasn't Lan. He couldn't have reached Caemlyn in six hours on horseback.

Unless he took a Waygate!  :D

I'm guessing thats a joke, but with Asmodean threads you can never be sure. Therefore...

a) Lan can't read Ogier script and therefore can't travel the Way's

b) even in the ways, six hours is an incredibly short time to travel between Cairhein and Caemlyn.

Archived