DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

WoT Season 2 Episode 8: What Was Meant to Be

12 hours ago, Windigo said:

I found The whole Moiraine family story-line to be great writing, for me the writers did a great job at showing the awkwardness of seeing estranged family again and how siblings know how to hurt each other the most. 

Plus adding this to the Liandrin's son diversion shows up how the extended life of an Aes Sedai can have an effect of isolating them from common humanity, particularly when you compare this to the relatively normal interactions of Alanna with her family.

We didn't learn who killed that Fade in the village Perrin and company. 

We didn't learn more about the conversation between Mat and Ishamael. 

Mat asks, "how" and then nothing. Will we learn the answers to those questions in season three ?

and does anyone have thoughts on possible answers to those questions.  Thanks. 

On 10/15/2023 at 1:47 PM, Mirefox said:

That’s what made Game of Thrones Season 8 so much better than Game of Thrones Season 1….

lol I really hope this is tongue in cheek lol. Because in no way was GOT season 7 and 8 better then anything on TV let alone it’s own series. 

Edited by Scarloc99

1 hour ago, nsmallw said:

Mat asks, "how" and then nothing. Will we learn the answers to those questions in season three ?

this annoyed me. it felt like a set up for Mat completely despairing, losing all hope, and Ishy showing him some sort of way out (which would feed into Rand seeing his friends all "lost"). But all we got was Mat still resisting the dagger/Padan Fain. There was no real payoff to that at all for me 

4 hours ago, nsmallw said:

We didn't learn who killed that Fade in the village Perrin and company. 

In a recent interview with Rafe here’s what I did learn about S3: 

1) We are getting the Waste and more of Aiel culture 

2) We are getting Tanchico & Domani culture 

3) We are getting Sea Folk 

4) We are getting more from more of the Forsaken, particularly Moggy. 
5) This is more of a Rand/Perrin season. 

I don’t know; but from BS’s comments - I think Ishy is dead/gone (and I dislike that decision) & I think that Matt is keeping the SL dagger on a stick for his ashendari (and I dislike that decision too). 

But I’m looking forward to the Battle of the TR. To more Aiel culture & to more Forsaken (since that seems to be their writing strength.) 

1 minute ago, DreadLord31 said:

I don’t know; but from BS’s comments - I think Ishy is dead/gone (and I dislike that decision)

I just don't think they are going to telegraph his return, even for people who have read the books. They're gonna want to keep that one in their back pockets. So even if BS has read Rafe's treatment for all 8 seasons (which I'm not so sure about), I don't think he would spoil the surprise.

• RP - PLAYER
12 minutes ago, DreadLord31 said:

2) We are getting Tanchico & Domani culture 

Did you mean Taraboner culture, is Tanchico being moved to Arad Doman, or are these two separate things? 

Sorry, I bet that is really clear to everyone else, but it is past my bedtime...

4 minutes ago, HeavyHalfMoonBlade said:

Did you mean Taraboner culture, is Tanchico being moved to Arad Doman, or are these two separate things? 

Sorry, I bet that is really clear to everyone else, but it is past my bedtime...

Nope, good catch, that’s my mistake. Rafe just said “Tanchico” & something about a bar & knives & jungle like atmosphere & everybody being ready to kill each other. So brain fart on my part to mix up Taraboners & Domani. 

17 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

I just don't think they are going to telegraph his return, even for people who have read the books. They're gonna want to keep that one in their back pockets. So even if BS has read Rafe's treatment for all 8 seasons (which I'm not so sure about), I don't think he would spoil the surprise.

BS’s involvement and role has never been clear to me. On this finale episode he was listed as a Co-Producer…but then he groaned and made comments like “I tried” throughout the whole watch through. So, you’re right, I don’t really know if he knows or not - he just said “I think Isha’mael is dead, dead.” 

1 minute ago, DreadLord31 said:

BS’s involvement and role has never been clear to me.

I think his role is "lend credibility to the show by including one of the authors as a producer guy." And ... that's about it.

Edited by Elder_Haman

9 hours ago, DreadLord31 said:

Nope, good catch, that’s my mistake. Rafe just said “Tanchico” & something about a bar & knives & jungle like atmosphere & everybody being ready to kill each other. So brain fart on my part to mix up Taraboners & Domani. 

Knife fighting is Ebou Dari culture not Domani (who are more French post renaissance style with beauty marks etc).   While in Tanchio the girls experience Domani cookery (spicy and using chopsticks) due to a current fad in town while putting up with the veils of Tanchio culture.

• Community Administrator
On 10/6/2023 at 9:02 AM, SinisterDeath said:

I really, really feel like we had a TON of cut content.

Whether that's content that was shot and hit the cutting room floor, or content that was written but never filmed because of time constraints due to Amazon's stupid restrictions.

I'm sure it's probably been discussed to death over the weekend, but can I say that I called it?
https://winteriscoming.net/2023/10/16/a-key-scene-was-cut-from-the-wheel-of-time-season-2-finale/?fbclid=IwAR1VpnHvkjPBoBxCewCINLiSSwkjpDEMD0syPp4Txz6FC0xbz0qMdCxK-kQ

1 hour ago, SinisterDeath said:

I wonder how much covid actually factored into this decision.  We know that they lost the actor originally set to play Ingtar and that they just renamed him for the end of the season.  I wonder if they were planning to set him up more in episode 7 or 8.

All in all if they couldn't commit the time to Ingtar then cutting the reveal might have been the better decision.

23 minutes ago, Skipp said:

I wonder how much covid actually factored into this decision.  We know that they lost the actor originally set to play Ingtar and that they just renamed him for the end of the season.  I wonder if they were planning to set him up more in episode 7 or 8.

All in all if they couldn't commit the time to Ingtar then cutting the reveal might have been the better decision.

COVID was primilarly S1.

We had several small set up scene with Ingtar in the first few episodes of S2.
From the sound of it, they filmed his reveal in the finale, but they ended hitting the cutting room floor because it took away from the EF5.

3 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

COVID was primilarly S1.

We had several small set up scene with Ingtar in the first few episodes of S2.
From the sound of it, they filmed his reveal in the finale, but they ended hitting the cutting room floor because it took away from the EF5.

I know covid was season 1 but I wonder if they had planned a larger build up in late season one with Ingtar and scaled it back when they realized they would have to recast for season 2.  And if they scaled back Ingtar in season one did that mean they found it easier to cut additional scenes with the new actor because they already knew they didn't have the build up they might have planned in s1.

10 minutes ago, Skipp said:

I know covid was season 1 but I wonder if they had planned a larger build up in late season one with Ingtar and scaled it back when they realized they would have to recast for season 2.  And if they scaled back Ingtar in season one did that mean they found it easier to cut additional scenes with the new actor because they already knew they didn't have the build up they might have planned in s1.

All we know for certain is that we had the Ishy dark friend circle social scene (Ingtar?)

Ingtar's talk with Perrin about the dead dark friend and why he should be burried.

Ingtar kneeling unlike Uno.

Then we had Ingtar working with the Seanchan bad guys like nothing was a miss with Loial and then "miraculously" appears with the horn from a "Cairhien woman" who turns out to be Lanfear.

And now we find out that they had infact shot a scene where Ingtar reveals himself to be a darkfriend to Perrin before sacrificing himself, and they cut it so as to not steal the limelight from the EF5 or confuse fans.

For all we know, this isn't the only Ingtar scene that hit the cutting room floor. They may well have cut a dozen scenes through out season 2 that tie it all together.. Because if you cut the reveal, you may as well cut everything that leads up to it.

• RP - PLAYER

And also the whole of season 2 was rewritten - originally the three boys would have been hunting the horn, not just Perrin, which would have automatically granted Ingtar much more screentime (one would assume) as it would have to be divided between fewer competing story lines. Another consequence perhaps of Barney exiting.

2 minutes ago, HeavyHalfMoonBlade said:

And also the whole of season 2 was rewritten - originally the three boys would have been hunting the horn, not just Perrin, which would have automatically granted Ingtar much more screentime (one would assume) as it would have to be divided between fewer competing story lines. Another consequence perhaps of Barney exiting.

The only part of that whole "Season 2 was totally rewritten" stuff l question is... I feel like Moiraine & Lan's plot was always planned like this.

Then we have S1E8 finale, I feel like that would have been much the same, only with Barney in the room.

So would we have completely skipped Rand in Cairhen?
Got 4 episodes of the boys travelling to Falme with Ingtar?

I have no bloody idea.
But it feels like a lot of excess changes to lay at the feet of Barney. 😉 

21 hours ago, Ralph said:

3 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

I'm very glad that was cut.  Confesses to Perrin?

8 minutes ago, EmreY said:

I'm very glad that was cut.  Confesses to Perrin?

In the show, Ingtar seemingly starts to reveal that he’s a Darkfriend to Perrin Aybara (Marcus Rutherford), even using some exact bits of dialogue from The Great Hunt. 

Exact quote from the article.

19 hours ago, fra85uk said:

Wow always making the right choice (sarcasm).

It possibly was the right choice for the episode, I don’t think enough build up had been put in to make that reveal an emotional moment for the audience and it very much would have been lost in the noise of everything else that was going on. 

Also it makes no logical sense, Ishy wanted the horn in Falme, he was in Falme, why send Ingtar to hunt the horn down? 

Edited by Scarloc99

It appears that part of S3 is being shot in South Africa, specifically Capetown and the northern Cape area.  Tear and the Waste in one shot?

https://www.wotseries.com/2023/10/15/the-wheel-of-time-season-3-filming-south-africa-new-york-comic-con-news/

And Rafe hath spoken: more Rand and Perrin.  Already mentioned before, here in more detail:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/wheel-of-time-season-3-book-4-sea-folk-aiel-waste-forsaken-1235618641/