A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Trailer Music - likee? no likee?

Elgee

The Trailer Music  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the music?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you want more music like this in Season 2?

• Yes
    • No

• Community Administrator
1 hour ago, Elgee said:

I absolutely loved the music. Hope they have more of that during the actual show.

All in all the trailer has me more excited for the show than I was before.

I'm of the mind that a fantasy show doesn't need to have high fantasy LOTR music all the time.

The Willow tv show got railed for having "modern" music but I loved it's sound track.

I also loved "A Knights Tale" sound Track.

The trick is finding the right balance of "High Fantasy Orchestral" and "Modern" that just fit. You don't want the music taking over the scene or the dialogue, unless it's a transition scene with a lot of walking/traveling, or some other type of scene where the music can be used to heighted the emotion of the scene. (Like playing Born to be Wild when someone rides off on a motor cycle)

One example of something I'd love to see, is a version of this song play when Rand & his Asha'man enter the battlefield.

1 hour ago, Guire said:

Music is fine but to forward in trailer.  Distracts from content a lot.  Should have  been intertwined in backgroumd.  Down voted for way music was used.  Hope they dont keep this up and have music be more subtle.

I never even thought of that. It didn't bother me personally, but I can see how it could be off-putting to others.

Thanks for pointing that out, @Guire 🙂

To each their own and all that but if I hear modern unoriginal (as in, not written for the show/movie) music over a trailer or scene it takes me completely out of it when it comes to fantasy or period works to be honest. Especially when it doesn't fit with the overall tone (for me). 

Imo that trailer's tone was a little cheapened by that music and especially the vocals, points which are probably supposed to be crescendos to the trailer come off as CW teen drama moments but it's all subjective I guess

I'm still hyped for the show don't get me wrong I just really really didn't like that music choice lol 

4 minutes ago, notpropaganda73 said:

To each their own and all that but if I hear modern unoriginal (as in, not written for the show/movie) music over a trailer or scene it takes me completely out of it when it comes to fantasy or period works to be honest. Especially when it doesn't fit with the overall tone (for me). 

Imo that trailer's tone was a little cheapened by that music and especially the vocals, points which are probably supposed to be crescendos to the trailer come off as CW teen drama moments but it's all subjective I guess

I'm still hyped for the show don't get me wrong I just really really didn't like that music choice lol 

I found the song distracting in how they used it. If they'd put just the lyrics that really related best to what we were seeing, at the appropriate beats of the trailer,  it would have been better imo. I feel the same about them using modern curse words in the show. There are plenty of good in-book curse words to utilize.  

Ha sorry I didn't see this thread but gave my thoughts on it in the trailer reaction thread. Guire sums it up well too, I find if it's too "in your face" it really takes away from what we're watching and is distracting. I barely registered much on my first watch of the trailer because I was just thinking about the music the whole time.  

I was surprised to hear what seemed a pop song in the trailer( Was unfamiliar with Halsey). But it worked for the Trailer.  After watching the trailer a dozen times yesterday it grew on me as the lyrics seemed very related to the material at times.  Unraveling the Pattern breaks that down a bit more in their most recent video.

I don't expect to to hear mainstream songs in the show itself thankfully.

I moved the music discussion to this topic.

18 minutes ago, notpropaganda73 said:

To each their own for sure.

I agree if it has modern, it should be written for the show, or at least re-worked, and something they did do, is rework the original song to the trailer. 
If you google the lyrics to the song "Control by Halsey", you'll see that the lyrics in the trailer don't match the song all that well.

As for matching the tone/theme of the show, "Control" works really well. 

Rand's fighting for control of the OP. He's fighting control over his own destiny. He's fighting over other's trying to control him. He's trying to control others. He's wrestling with the madness trying to control him. 

The lines
"And all the kids cried out, "Please stop, you're scaring me""
"Who is in control"

Are lines that should send a shiver up your spine when thinking about Rand.

Seeing the Text "To Seek the Light" with a little girl running  and Perrin looking happy, while the audio is saying "I can't help this awful energy"...

28 minutes ago, notpropaganda73 said:

These are a couple of CW trailers.

1) Sometimes I think when people say something is like a CW drama, I don't think they know what a CW show is.
2) I don't think the WoT trailer resembles either of those trailers at all.

23 minutes ago, nsmallw said:

I found the song distracting in how they used it. If they'd put just the lyrics that really related best to what we were seeing, at the appropriate beats of the trailer,  it would have been better imo. I feel the same about them using modern curse words in the show. There are plenty of good in-book curse words to utilize.  

Song lyrics - 100% agree that I wish "subtitles" would catch lyrics/display them differently so we could better understand them with everything else going on. 

Part of the audio mess going on, is not all of that audio is from the song.

I hope we get some more bloody mother's milks in a cup in season 2 as well, but we do have to be mindful that sometimes using "period" specific curses can make a show an unintended comedy.

I wish I could find the article, but there was apparently a script written for Deadwood where they used period specific language, and the actors couldn't stop laughing at the cursing, so they replaced the majority of it with modern words.

I'm not saying WoT should replace Bloody with the F-Bomb at every opportunity it can, it should bloody well keep the bloody word in there, but it' can also be difficult to work certain made up curse words into natural language.

Here's the original song song if anyone's interested.

1 hour ago, Elgee said:

@SinisterDeath I've never actually seen A Knight's Tale, but now I'm going to have to! LoL

Have to disagree with your choice for the Ashaman going into battle, though ... much as I love that song, it's just too ... vanilla.

It's gotta be:

One of the reasons I like 7 nation army, is the lyrics and that absolutely killer/catchy guitar solo that sounds like Bass but isn't.

I'm gonna fight 'em off A seven nation army couldn't hold me back They're gonna rip it off Takin' their time right behind my back And I'm talkin' to myself at night Because I can't forget Back and forth through my mind Behind a cigarette

Replace 7 nation Army with 10, we've got a bit of Madness workin' in here.

Indestructible works great for the Asha'man coming to Rand's rescue at Dumai'.

7 nation, that works when Rand's showing off how devastating he can be while the Asha'man are just gawking at how OP he is.

56 minutes ago, DaddyFinn said:

It works fine with the trailer. The actual show won't have anything like that. S1 trailer had more generic fantasy score and even that wasn't in the show.

Interesting counter-point, first trailer didn't really have "music" but did have a "generic fantasy score" as you put it. I wouldn't be surprised if it was something put together by Lorne Balfe?

17 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

These are a couple of CW trailers.

1) Sometimes I think when people say something is like a CW drama, I don't think they know what a CW show is.
2) I don't think the WoT trailer resembles either of those trailers at all.

I've seen plenty of CW shows and yes neither of those trailers resemble the WoT one really, but I just meant the tone from those moments in the trailer with the vocals felt like something I'd see in Riverdale. Felt more tacky to me than what I feel the tone of WoT is in general and to be honest it was a bit jarring with what we're seeing in the trailer itself to me. Things are darker and getting more serious this season and all I hear is what (imo) is really cheesy OTT music as people look serious and sad. While Selene is laying her head on Rand's shoulder and they're both looking serious, with that music all I could think was "Are they in One Tree Hill?" 

It didn't work for me at all, but I guess it doesn't really matter it won't impact my enjoyment of the season at all so long as that music is limited to the trailers 😅

21 hours ago, Elgee said:

@SinisterDeath I've never actually seen A Knight's Tale, but now I'm going to have to! LoL

Have to disagree with your choice for the Ashaman going into battle, though ... much as I love that song, it's just too ... vanilla.

Or we can go full retro : use military songs from XVIIth or XVIIIth century (full Napoleonian Drum Corps, maybe bagpipes or even oriental armies musical instruments ? Carnyx or tagelharpa ?)

(edit : I have not voted above, as understanding english lyrics is a little difficult to my french ears)

Edited by JyP

2 hours ago, JyP said:

Or we can go full retro : use military songs from XVIIth or XVIIIth century (full Napoleonian Drum Corps, maybe bagpipes or even oriental armies musical instruments ? Carnyx or tagelharpa ?)

(edit : I have not voted above, as understanding english lyrics is a little difficult to my french ears)

So, something to consider is that this is a world that is "our future", so who's to say our songs haven't lived on in different instrumental mediums with different lyrics applied? Or similar lyrics applied to different instrumentals? Thom's portrayal in this show is very country.

I think they were going for “sorta creepy, thematically linked” music to set the tone. I’m not familiar with Halsey at all and did not recognize the song, so it definitely didn’t pull me out of the moment the same way something I’m more familiar with would have. 

I didn’t really hate the lyrics either. I took them as sort of a montage of thoughts in Rand’s mind as the madness begins to overtake him. As @SinisterDeath put it, 

23 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

Rand's fighting for control of the OP. He's fighting control over his own destiny. He's fighting over other's trying to control him. He's trying to control others. He's wrestling with the madness trying to control him. 

Totally subjective though. I hated A Knight’s Tale. Music totally ruined it for me. Other people absolutely love that movie. 

I liked the music. I didn’t even notice the lyrics until I read them in here. 

I don’t think the season will have modern music, though. 
I liked most of the music from season 1, but would have liked some more uptempo songs as well. 

Here is a song that makes me think of an amped up Al’Naito. I know they are singing Japanese, not the old tongue 😛, and it is more Indian inspired. It is just more exotic for us Westerners. Maybe just one song with this kind of energy?

Shanti Shanti Shanti - BabyMetal. 

sorry, i don’t know how to inbed the video. 

Edited by Wassup

36 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

Totally subjective though. I hated A Knight’s Tale. Music totally ruined it for me. Other people absolutely love that movie. 

I'd die on the hill that the soundtrack is what made that movie. Replace it with period specific music, and it'll lose it's charm. 😉 

I find both weird and fascinating that some people put so much importance on background music.

as far as I'm concerned, I like the music, it fits the ominous vibe of the story, and that's all.

by the way, I tried listening to the actual song and didn't like it. for the trailer they used some kind of resounding effect that makes all the difference.

you can see how little I understand music by how I stumble with terminology.

17 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

I find both weird and fascinating that some people put so much importance on background music.

I suggest reading some comments regarding the choice of music in the Willow TV series on Twitter/Reddit sometime.

Fans can and will find anything to criticize, fairly or unfairly when it comes to any sequel or adaptation of a beloved piece of work. (Remember kids, Fans = short for Fanatic)

What will be interesting I think, is if we'll get any more in-world music like Thom's song and the song of Manetheran. I'd love to see how they craft in-world music that has evolved over thousands of years since the breaking.

I doubt in-show  we'll experience anything like rap, that would be too much for certain demographics, even though it's one of the most popular music genres in our world...

A case could be made, that if it existed in that universe, it would survive the breaking far better then the likes of highly synthesized pop and rock music, as it doesn't require much in the way of instruments, since it's pretty much just poetry spoken over any type of music.

Course, knowing my luck Shatner's spoken word singing is still a thing.