DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Why is Mat weeping? (Spoiler for end of Season 1)

Elgee

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fw5-EYLaQAApUmy?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Why is Mat weeping?

I just had a bit of a random idea:

In the last episode of Season 1, Moiraine asks that word be sent to the RED Ajah re Mat.

Was that just a red herring, or are they changing Mat's story so that he's actually able to Channel and the Reds Gentle him?

• Community Administrator
8 minutes ago, Elgee said:

Was that just a red herring, or are they changing Mat's story so that he's actually able to Channel and the Reds Gentle him?

I don't think that's likely.

If I had to guess, the daggers influence has put him into a depression that's solved by kicking two golden haired brothers asses with a staff.

31 minutes ago, Elgee said:

I don't think we can really discard what seems unlikely to us, when it comes to this TV adaptation ... LoL!

I'm totally allowed to discard unlikely speculation. Just like you're allowed to speculate unlikely things. 😉

As far as this adaptation goes, the one power works mostly the same. (There are still two halves, women can't see men's weaves, etc)
Minor changes to the OP so far = Circles are no longer safe, and women can't sense potential in other women (yet?) until they channel.

The Dragon was still male, and that dragon was still Rand.

In the show, Moiraine sending the reds after Mat was mainly about the "darkness" from the Dagger she healed from him, and that she worried "what if he is the Dragon? The Dragon can channel, and if he's it..."

If we go by the books, he's still infected by the dagger even after he's "healed"; and that's likely true in the Adaptation.
We've got some confirmation that his fight scene with the two brothers is still happening. Which at least supports the idea that his Tar Valon plot will be fairly similar, where he's treated like a "guest" that's not free to leave.

Tldr: Changing Mat into a "Channeler" IMO is most likely a red herring. I would be very surprised if they said he could channel, and that his depression is due to the Reds severing him.
We'll just have to WAFO, and I'll be the first to say "you were right" if you were. 😉 

*As a note*
hen I speculate about what's going to happen in the show, I always temper it with what we know happens in the books + what we know as true in the show.  So until we (I) see the episodes, I'm always going to assume the show is going to try to follow what happens in the books at some level.

Take season 1 as an example:
Before the show came out, I would never have expected Mat to leave them before they all went off to fal dara.

I wasn't surprised by the lack of the jolly green giant, but I was surprised it was just Rand and Moiraine. I was disappointed that Rand didn't go nuclear and blow shit up like he did at the end of EotW.

When it comes to S2, what we know from the teaser images, and other information like them merging parts of book 2 and 3 together into season 2 (and we don't know how much of each) I can speculate that in S2 and S3, the wonder-girls probably aren't going to run off from the tower twice to get kidnapped and then rescued in both seasons, like they did in books 2 & 3.
I'm going to speculate that The girls & Mat are going to share some time in Tar Valon before converging to the finale.

I have no idea if they're merging the Stone & Falme, or if Falme's going to be a mid-season event, and the Stone is going to be our cliff hanger.

9 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

In the show, Moiraine sending the reds after Mat was mainly about the "darkness" from the Dagger she healed from him, and that she worried "what if he is the Dragon? The Dragon can channel, and if he's it..."

More likely she wants the efforts of the Red directed away from the group with her and thinks Mat is a slippery enough type to give them the run around for a while (and when they deal with him outside the hall of the tower give Suian more reasons to clamp down on them).

11 hours ago, bringbackthomsmoustache said:

More likely she wants the efforts of the Red directed away from the group with her and thinks Mat is a slippery enough type to give them the run around for a while (and when they deal with him outside the hall of the tower give Suian more reasons to clamp down on them).

I hadn't thought about it like that, but that's definitely something an Aes Sedai would do.

We already have the answer to this from a clip shown last year at NYCC.

Spoiler

He has been captured and imprisoned alone by Liandrin.  He is feeling the weight of betraying his friends, and may have been told they are dead.

He is not a channeler.  However, if you remember Elyas's story, the Reds are not kind to a man who they suspect might be able to channel, even if he cannot.  They tortured Elyas before he killed a number of people to escape.

Spoiler

Liandrin is even worse.

2 hours ago, DaddyFinn said:

He's crying because he couldn't eat all three whole chickens

I meant to react with a haha but it showed up as a like. For some reason I couldn’t let it go and felt compelled to make you aware that I in fact did “like” the post but the reason is because it made me laugh 😂 laughter/humor is the best form of magic IMHO. 

I know that look..

Poor dude just stubbed his toe after a bad day. You know when you straight up know cussing isn't going to help and the best you can do is sit where you're at and just feel and have a bit of a cry.

Than you get yourself together with some breathing exercises, stand up and to make up for it mumble some cusses while telling yourself; it's ok, these things happen, you'll be right.

So you find yourself a good stick, a nice solid  walking stick and for some reason that really helps. Maybe you were right, things will be ok.

Next thing you know you see a couple of Princes acting all Princy and thinking they're cool...

Edited by A Memory Of Why

1 hour ago, A Memory Of Why said:

I know that look..

Poor dude just stubbed his toe after a bad day. You know when you straight up know cussing isn't going to help and the best you can do is sit where you're at and just feel and have a bit of a cry.

Than you get yourself together, stand up and to make up for it mumble some cusses while telling yourself; it's ok, these things happen, you'll be right.

So you find yourself a good stick, a nice solid  walking stick and for some reason that really helps. Maybe you were right, things will be ok.

And next thing you know you see a couple of Princes acting all Princy and thinking they're cool...

Yup. We’ve all been there 😂