DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Casting Lanfear

Morani

• Community Administrator

When I think of casting Lanfear, I think who can play a crazy obsessed ex-girlfriend, and tends to have dark hair and paleish skin.

Alexandra Daddario, fits that bill.
image.png

And so does Aubrey Plaza
Aubrey Plaza Poses for Chris Nicholls in Glow Winter 2014 | Fashion Gone  Rogue

1 hour ago, SinisterDeath said:

When I think of casting Lanfear, I think who can play a crazy obsessed ex-girlfriend, and tends to have dark hair and paleish skin.

Alexandra Daddario, fits that bill.
image.png

And so does Aubrey Plaza
Aubrey Plaza Poses for Chris Nicholls in Glow Winter 2014 | Fashion Gone  Rogue

I think the look needs to have a feeling of almost too beautiful to be real which I think fits with Daddario where as Plaza seems to be a more grounded beauty.

Needs more of a ethereal type of beauty than a natural type of beauty which also feels more like the character as well for me.

On 6/29/2022 at 12:04 AM, SinisterDeath said:

Mind sharing a book description that describes her incredible assets?

The only book descriptions I recall, are about her "unmatched beauty" and that she makes "Graendal look Plumply Pretty". I don't recall her assets being the beautiful part. <_<

Don't have the books to hand but Rand thinks about "The softness of her body as he pushed her down" in the Great Hunt. I always imagined Lanfear would be more Alexandria Daddario than Keira Knightley. 

Of course beauty standards are entirely subjective - Jordans description of her sensuality (for me) denotes a very feminised beauty, I would imagine Lanfear to be all curves and shapes - although from the physical descriptions I have seen so far I haven't seen that explicitly described. 

I guess framing someone as really beautiful and then not giving much in the way of physical descriptions allows the reader to create their own "perfect human beauty". Clever RJ!

Edited by SilentRoamer

18 minutes ago, Kalessin said:

Actually, considering Loial's species, the Ogier, hold ears in high regard as beautiful and sexy, might I suggest that we look for big-eared actresses to fill the description of "perfect human beauty"?

Selene need not be as beautiful as Dumbo the Elephant, but perhaps that is what he meant.

He said perfect human beauty, not Ogier.

5 hours ago, psmith1990 said:

The 14 year old me would strongly disagree, and 'boyish' and 'perfect human beauty' might, to some, not be mutually exclusive. Just a heads up...

All that to say, obviously that kind of description as quoted above is inherently so subjective that I can't imagine a casting that pleases all, nor a casting that one person thinks is perfect automatically working for all.

I imagine that many of us had different pictures.  I pictured a 20-something Linda Carter.  Pale skin aside, I also could see Halle Berry or Priyanka Chopra.

But I think no matter who they cast, a lot will depend on the make-up department.  Said this before - they did Rosamund Pike no favors in the show.  Everything else I've seen her in she was stunning.  Maybe they didn't want her beauty to be a distraction?

12 hours ago, DojoToad said:

I imagine that many of us had different pictures.  I pictured a 20-something Linda Carter.  Pale skin aside, I also could see Halle Berry or Priyanka Chopra.

But I think no matter who they cast, a lot will depend on the make-up department.  Said this before - they did Rosamund Pike no favors in the show.  Everything else I've seen her in she was stunning.  Maybe they didn't want her beauty to be a distraction?

Or maybe she's also distractingly stunning in WoT? I was quite frankly on board the minute they gave us the opening shot of shoulders/back, suspenders and cloak... Each to their own though, lol. I kind of appreciated, from episode to episode (bar when she was in Tar Valon), seeing her getting dirtier and more bedraggled. Let the woman have a rest.

Personally, I also always assumed/headcanoned pale skin, dark hair and eyes, and relatively slim, though still with shapely hips and chest, shall we say. But I'm pretty easily pleased and have been happy with casting this far, so remain optimistic re. casting Lanfear and other Forsaken. 

I think in regards to the casting of Lanfear we can contrast it with a potential casting of Graendal

Both are described in the books as kind of polar opposites of what traditionally humans think about beauty.

Graendal is more a Jane Russell body type while Lanfear is more Lauren Bacall.  

If neither of these amazing women are familiar to you, look them up. 😄 

7 minutes ago, nsmallw said:

I think in regards to the casting of Lanfear we can contrast it with a potential casting of Graendal

Both are described in the books as kind of polar opposites of what traditionally humans think about beauty.

Graendal is more a Jane Russell body type while Lanfear is more Lauren Bacall.  

If neither of these amazing women are familiar to you, look them up. 😄 

I'd agree with you on the body type comparisons, but at the same time don't think that they are polar opposites.  They are both beautiful - so not opposite, just different.

5 hours ago, nsmallw said:

Graendal is more a Jane Russell body type

I'd say more like Kim K. lol

1 hour ago, Humbugged2 said:

All the spec is stupid as Dockery ,Halle Berry and Daddario are not in the chracters who have been named in casting

Don't be such a humbug.

Besides, we don't know that any of the casting revealed so far are going to be any of the forsaken.
Remember, we didn't know about Fares Fares, until December 11th.

2 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

I'd say more like Kim K. lol

Don't be such a humbug.

Besides, we don't know that any of the casting revealed so far are going to be any of the forsaken.
Remember, we didn't know about Fares Fares, until December 11th.

Well it is not going to be a 55 year old Halle Berry playing a 30 something, or Daddario who is the lead in the latest Anne Rice TV Show  or Dockery who now works for Neflix , just like Cavell was not going to give up a lead role to play a bit part , or the 40 year old 5'2 midgets they wanted for Avi ,or an 77 year old Sam Elliot who would be 88 odd by the time it finishes

Edited by Humbugged2

14 minutes ago, Humbugged2 said:

Daddario who is the lead in the latest Anne Rice TV Show 

*googles*

Huh, didn't know she had a lead role in an Anne Rice show. Nice!

That said, Lanfear isn't exactly a "lead role". If we get her (Lanfear not Daddario) this season or next, it's 1-3 episodes max. They won't need to be on set 24/7 like the main cast.

just like Cavell was not going to give up a lead role to play a bit part

I dunno man, you don't have to give up a lead role to play a minor character for a couple of scenes. 

Plus, Cavell is a pretty big nerd. I'm sure if he wanted in the WoT tv show, he could get in, and the producers could make it work. 
Course, that all hinges on the possibility of Netflix not having a non-compete clause...

or the 40 year old 5'2 midgets they wanted for Avi

I have no idea what you're talking about, but if you don't like conversing or speculating about the future of the WoT show, you don't have to rain on everyone else's parade...

or an 77 year old Sam Elliot who would be 88 odd by the time it finishes

Given everything else you've mentioned as for why people can't possibly cast as a character, why'd you ignore that he's a main character in 1883? 
Had he been cast as Thom *Checks notes*, that would have been what.. 3 scenes?

38 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

*googles*

Huh, didn't know she had a lead role in an Anne Rice show. Nice!

That said, Lanfear isn't exactly a "lead role". If we get her (Lanfear not Daddario) this season or next, it's 1-3 episodes max. They won't need to be on set 24/7 like the main cast.

I dunno man, you don't have to give up a lead role to play a minor character for a couple of scenes. 

Plus, Cavell is a pretty big nerd. I'm sure if he wanted in the WoT tv show, he could get in, and the producers could make it work. 
Course, that all hinges on the possibility of Netflix not having a non-compete clause...

I have no idea what you're talking about, but if you don't like conversing or speculating about the future of the WoT show, you don't have to rain on everyone else's parade...

Given everything else you've mentioned as for why people can't possibly cast as a character, why'd you ignore that he's a main character in 1883? 
Had he been cast as Thom *Checks notes*, that would have been what.. 3 scenes?

Well Cavell will have a non-compete in his contract as he is working on Enola Holmes 2 as well

What was suggested for Lanfear on this page was a 55 year old and 2 actresses who were leads in 2 shows filmed at exactly the same time season 2 was filmed

As for Avi it have seen 'hire Rose Leslie'who it 5'2 and by the time the show finishes will be 44

So Thom is only going to be in 3 scenes ever then ? Or they cast an actor who will not be 85 when they finish as he will be a regular for the next 6/7 seasons

I just don't see the show getting $2b to spend on casting

2 hours ago, Humbugged2 said:

Well it is not going to be a 55 year old Halle Berry playing a 30 something, or Daddario who is the lead in the latest Anne Rice TV Show  or Dockery who now works for Neflix , just like Cavell was not going to give up a lead role to play a bit part , or the 40 year old 5'2 midgets they wanted for Avi ,or an 77 year old Sam Elliot who would be 88 odd by the time it finishes

Of course it's not going to be Halle.  We're all just having fun here playing 'what if'.  Why do you seem personally offended?  Relax...

1 hour ago, Humbugged2 said:

Well Cavell will have a non-compete in his contract as he is working on Enola Holmes 2 as well

What was suggested for Lanfear on this page was a 55 year old and 2 actresses who were leads in 2 shows filmed at exactly the same time season 2 was filmed

As for Avi it have seen 'hire Rose Leslie'who it 5'2 and by the time the show finishes will be 44

So Thom is only going to be in 3 scenes ever then ? Or they cast an actor who will not be 85 when they finish as he will be a regular for the next 6/7 seasons

I just don't see the show getting $2b to spend on casting

Go back and read the opening post in this topic.

It is NOT about predicting who will get the damn role.  It is about imagining who we might like in it.

How many times do you need to have that explained to you?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I mean the powers of CGI now days they could take someone and then change the body, alot of your MCU superheroes do not have the bodies that appear on screen, I can't remember who it was but I remember an actor telling a story once about how he spent months getting in shape for an MCU role, turned up on set and realised the other actors where relying on either the outfit they where given to make them look like they had a 6 pack, or, had been told that the body would be tweaked by CGI later. 

The same could be done for Lanfer, there is enough filters and trickery used in normal print media and on instagram etc that almost any actress could be taken and then made something more.