DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Casting Lanfear

Morani

Out of all of the castings, Lanfear is the one I think will cause the most controversy, almost no matter who is cast. Finding someone whos is the most beautiful woman ever is just... impossible. On top of that, she really has to be able to act, be the right age and preferable look a little bit like she is described in the books (although I think this is least important). And it has to be an actress they can afford and that is available, which means that most big names are out. It can't be someone who is innocently pretty, nor someone who is just pure sex appeal. 

For fun, I'd like to see all of your ideal Lanfears! Both unrealistic castings and fully achieveable ones. 

I bet Lily James could pull it off, but she is way too famous. 

image.jpeg.4a9fe818f94130afa365eebf1ff45d70.jpeg

I could also really see an indian woman playing Lanfear, but I have no idea who. 

If I had a time machine, Monica Belluci all the way. I know she has a daugther, but she is way too young. 

Monica Bellucci (Italian Actress) ~ Bio with [ Photos | Videos ]

There is no way any casting will please all the guys who are going to complain about her not being their choice or type. The guys who are willing to get loud about that kind of thing, like the guys who complained about what the actress in Netflix's Cowboy Bebop wore, are going to complain loudly. There's no winning that fight. Artists make choices, those choices eliminate other possibilities, and the artist lives with the consequences. 

What might be possible to avoid that unavoidable destiny, though this would be quite a change from the story, is if anyone saying she isn't the most beautiful woman ever sends her into such a rage that the entire population of every age before and since just has to go along and say she is. 

I have suggested Hilda The Hippo from Meet The Feebles before:

https://www.horor-web.cz/storage/201208/n201208132222_meet-the-feebles-4.jpg

as she is so very badass when she is angry; though considering in Lanfear we have the ultimate social climber, perhaps Hyacinth Bucket from Keeping Up Appearances would be better?

https://cdn.quotesgram.com/small/75/43/1596795280-0643b8b4192706b640eb9cfff22034ca.jpg

Lanfear should be unique - striking - breathtaking - absolutely one of a kind. And also have "perfect" ... ie very symmetrical features? That at least is how Loial describes her. 

Angelina Jolie has always been my choice for her, but I think she's a bit too old for that specific role now.

https://cdn.justjared.com/wp-content/uploads/headlines/2021/11/angelina-jolie-rust.jpg

I would love to see who people think can live up to her.

So many women, so few Lanfears (one, actually) for them to be cast as. Plus, just as Andra points out, there has to be another staggeringly beautiful woman as Berelain. Morena would be an excellent Berelain, except of I guess the age maybe? That might make her better for Lanfear. The actress who played Mary on Downton Abbey might be a good fit for Lanfear. 

But for laughs I'd love, if only for a moment, for Kristen Schaal to do Selene/Lanfear's voice. 

1 hour ago, Juan Farstrider said:

So many women, so few Lanfears (one, actually) for them to be cast as. Plus, just as Andra points out, there has to be another staggeringly beautiful woman as Berelain. Morena would be an excellent Berelain, except of I guess the age maybe? That might make her better for Lanfear. The actress who played Mary on Downton Abbey might be a good fit for Lanfear. 

But for laughs I'd love, if only for a moment, for Kristen Schaal to do Selene/Lanfear's voice. 

One of the benefits in casting Lanfear is that while her voice never changes, she appears as (at least?) three different people throughout the series.  If the show keeps to that, they can pick multiple actors for her, and overdub the voices.

Selene is the one closest to Rand's age, and the one Loial describes as having "perfect human beauty."

Lanfear herself looks perhaps ten years older than Selene, but similar in appearance.

And then of course there is Keille Shaogi. ?

I don't count Cyndane in that, or any of her appearances in Tel'aran'rhiod, since her voice was different in those cases as well.

Also, given the way on-screen casting works, they might not even choose someone with her natural coloring for the role (not to mention Rafe's tendencies there).

Two of the most famous female characters in recent blockbuster TV fantasy are Cersei Lannister and Daenerys Targaryen.  Both characters are blonde, with Daeneryes being nearly pure-white in hair color.

Both actors are natural brunettes in real life.

It wouldn't be at all surprising - even if Rafe keeps to her description - to see a blonde or redhead cast as Lanfear.  Think a young Grace Kelly with black hair.  

Someone like this (Skyler Samuels) perhaps as Selene:

skyler-samuels-at-2018-iheartcountry-fes

Or this (Taylor Momsen):

taylor-momsen-the-blind-magazine-2017-ph

Or even this (Margot Robbie, uncharacteristically brunette):

66ebc2b1f1e9d9b587d04f11976a8d16--margot

Edited by Andra

20 hours ago, Andra said:

She might be out of the price range, but how about casting a "Selene" as, well ... Selene?

Kate%2BBeckinsale%2B0006.jpg&ehk=KPTeZ9m

Another excellent choice would be Morena Baccarin - except that I always pictured her more as Berelain.

Morena-Baccarin-High-Quality-Wallpapers-

was just thinking about it, but is Berelain based on Cleopatra?  it certainly seems that way to me

On 3/18/2022 at 10:37 PM, Andra said:

Two of the most famous female characters in recent blockbuster TV fantasy are Cersei Lannister and Daenerys Targaryen.  Both characters are blonde, with Daeneryes being nearly pure-white in hair color.

Oh Light I hope they don't go the terrible wigs route!

On 3/18/2022 at 10:37 PM, Andra said:

It wouldn't be at all surprising - even if Rafe keeps to her description - to see a blonde or redhead cast as Lanfear. 

I don't think it matters all that much what her colouring or even ethnicity is - as long as she is uniquely striking and beautiful.

9 hours ago, Elgee said:

Oh Light I hope they don't go the terrible wigs route!

Not wigs, necessarily.  Hair dye works just as well.  They already made Rosamund Pike hair dark brown as Moiraine.

It's what they did with both Cersei and Daenerys.  Even Rose Leslie's natural hair color wasn't red enough for Ygritte. 

Nor were most of the Weasley family in Harry Potter.

And the list goes on.

9 hours ago, Elgee said:

I don't think it matters all that much what her colouring or even ethnicity is - as long as she is uniquely striking and beautiful.

This is actually one of the few characters whose coloring I would predict Rafe would keep as close to the books as possible.  Because that coloring is such an integral aspect of her identity.  He might change her ethnicity - perhaps making her Asian?  But she will still have pale skin and black hair.

Kind of how he kept Rand and Shaiel (and the unknown Stone Dog at Breen's Spring) as redheads.  And he likely will do the same for the rest of the Aiel, since Loial kind of committed him to it.

Quality wigs can look really good if done right and consistently. I certainly wasn't distracted by Moiraine or Rand's hair during season 1, nor Liandrin.

https://www.insider.com/what-the-wheel-of-time-actors-look-like-real-life-2021-11#moiraine-damodred-is-the-leader-of-the-adventurers-from-emonds-field-and-a-member-of-the-aes-sedai-powerful-witches-1

Rosamund Pike's natural hair is blonde but she has dyed her hair lighter before. She wears a wig for her scenes.

Josha Stradowski is a natural redhead, with orange-brown hair. However, the 26-year-old Dutch actor has recently shaved all his hair off. He wears a wig for his scenes.

Whoever they cast for Lanfear, I hope it's not an American actor. I've really appreciated the diversity of casting in this show so far.

Edited by VooDooNut
fixed the link

23 hours ago, VooDooNut said:

Quality wigs can look really good if done right and consistently. I certainly wasn't distracted by Moiraine or Rand's hair during season 1, nor Liandrin.

https://www.insider.com/what-the-wheel-of-time-actors-look-like-real-life-2021-11#moiraine-damodred-is-the-leader-of-the-adventurers-from-emonds-field-and-a-member-of-the-aes-sedai-powerful-witches-1

Whoever they cast for Lanfear, I hope it's not an American actor. I've really appreciated the diversity of casting in this show so far.

It is either Natasha O'Keefe or Karima McAdams from Deep State . Two Brits

4 hours ago, Humbugged2 said:

It is either Natasha O'Keefe or Karima McAdams from Deep State . Two Brits

If I had to guess between those two, I'd say Karima McAdams.

Natasha O'Keeffe looks more like I would imagine for Faile or possibly one of the Aiel.  She looks "fierce" rather than "arrogant and seductive."

But if IMDB is anything to go by, it looks like Natasha O'Keeffe.  She's listed as new cast foe S2E01, but her role isn't identified.  As is Meera Syal - who doesn't remotely resemble Lanfear's description (she's over 60).

Back in October at NY Comic Con, Rafe said both would become series regulars, but not what roles or when they would first appear.  But it does mean neither would be one-shot characters, like Dana or the Grinwells.

Edited by Andra

22 minutes ago, Andra said:

Natasha O'Keeffe looks more like I would imagine for Faile or possibly one of the Aiel.  She looks "fierce" rather than "arrogant and seductive."

But if IMDB is anything to go by, it looks like Natasha O'Keeffe.  She's listed as new cast foe S2E01, but her role isn't identified.  As is Meera Syal - who doesn't remotely resemble Lanfear's description (she's over 60).

Back in October at NY Comic Con, Rafe said both would become series regulars, but not what roles or when they would first appear.  But it does mean neither would be one-shot characters, like Dana or the Grinwells.

If they are casting Faile as Persian more of chance its Karima but they are both too old to play Faile .

So one is Lanfear and the other is Elaida

1 hour ago, Humbugged2 said:

If they are casting Faile as Persian more of chance its Karima but they are both too old to play Faile .

So one is Lanfear and the other is Elaida

Or one could be Berelain and the other Suroth.  Or maybe they put her in a red-gold wig and make her Morgase.

The problem is that both McAdams and O'Keeffe are too old to play Selene, as well.  They are both in their mid-30s.  Undisguised Lanfear?  Sure.  But pretty much all we see of her this early is her disguised younger persona.

Unless the show changes the characters' ages.  In which case all bets are off.  ?

9 hours ago, Andra said:

I hope O'Keeffe is Elaida.

7 hours ago, Andra said:

the other Suroth

Jessica Boone could be. Definitely some Seanchan.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTNXbpJr5-w/?utm_medium=copy_link

I was under the impression Natasha O'Keefe is Elaida, but I guess there still isn't an official announcement of who each new casting is other than Elayne. She's too old for Selene, but I would almost be surprised if they didn't collapse Selene and Lanfear into just Lanfear and have her keep one appearance to avoid having to cast multiple actors. I think most of the people posted here, however, are too old even for Lanfear. These pictures are probably from a decade or two ago, when they would have been perfect. Maybe Morena Baccarin makes the cutoff barely at 42, but she has a starring role in a different series right now and isn't likely to take a supporting role, let alone one that requires her to move to Europe for filming. Kate Beckinsale is about to be 50. Keep in mind this series is probably hoping to run to around 2030 or so. You don't want Lanfear closing in on 60 as the Last Battle hits.

Whoever they cast is likely to be someone who speaks English natively and lives in Europe and isn't someone who already headlines major film or television productions and is willing to take a supporting role, so probably someone I've never heard of because I'm American.

On 3/22/2022 at 8:27 PM, Andra said:

Or one could be Berelain and the other Suroth.  Or maybe they put her in a red-gold wig and make her Morgase.

The problem is that both McAdams and O'Keeffe are too old to play Selene, as well.  They are both in their mid-30s.  Undisguised Lanfear?  Sure.  But pretty much all we see of her this early is her disguised younger persona.

Unless the show changes the characters' ages.  In which case all bets are off.  ?

Uno's real life wife is Suroth  and Berelain turns up to say hi in book 3

And Galan is 25 so getting a 35 year old actress to play her  in really off

How are they to young to play Selene as Karim (LTT) is 45 . They hired a body double for her