DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Casting Lanfear

Morani

3 hours ago, Humbugged2 said:

Uno's real life wife is Suroth  and Berelain turns up to say hi in book 3

And Galan is 25 so getting a 35 year old actress to play her  in really off

How are they to young to play Selene as Karim (LTT) is 45 . They hired a body double for her

Selene is the name Lanfear uses when she disguises herself as someone approximately Rand's age.  Casting a 35- or 37-year old actor in the role would be problematic.  Without the disguise, she appears several years older, so someone in their mid-30s would work.

I don't know what Karim's age would have to do with how old Selene appears to be, since she wasn't disguising herself for him.

I also don't know who 'Galan' is.

Have we actually confirmed that Jessica Boone is playing Suroth?  I thought we were just speculating based on seeing her with the side of her head shaved.

7 hours ago, AdamA said:

I was under the impression Natasha O'Keefe is Elaida, but I guess there still isn't an official announcement of who each new casting is other than Elayne. She's too old for Selene, but I would almost be surprised if they didn't collapse Selene and Lanfear into just Lanfear and have her keep one appearance to avoid having to cast multiple actors. I think most of the people posted here, however, are too old even for Lanfear. These pictures are probably from a decade or two ago, when they would have been perfect. Maybe Morena Baccarin makes the cutoff barely at 42, but she has a starring role in a different series right now and isn't likely to take a supporting role, let alone one that requires her to move to Europe for filming. Kate Beckinsale is about to be 50. Keep in mind this series is probably hoping to run to around 2030 or so. You don't want Lanfear closing in on 60 as the Last Battle hits.

Whoever they cast is likely to be someone who speaks English natively and lives in Europe and isn't someone who already headlines major film or television productions and is willing to take a supporting role, so probably someone I've never heard of because I'm American.

And that's really the problem with people imagining who might be good for a role like this.  If anyone knows an actor they would describe as "the most beautiful woman ever," she will have been around long enough for them to have heard of her.  Making her too old for the role - at least the "Selene" part of it.

The second batch of photos I posted are in their 20s (except for Margot Robbie, who's 31).  But then, Josha Stradowski is actually 27, not the 20 the show portrays him as.  Skyler Samuels and Taylor Momsen are both within a year of his age.

If Selene is portrayed as in the books, that's what we'll probably see - someone in their late 20s playing someone five to ten years younger.

On 3/21/2022 at 1:16 AM, Andra said:

Not wigs, necessarily.  Hair dye works just as well.  They already made Rosamund Pike hair dark brown as Moiraine.

She wears a wig. It's noticeable to me, which is off-putting, but not as bad as the dreadful blonde wigs and die jobs of other British series, like GoT.

4 hours ago, Elgee said:

She wears a wig. It's noticeable to me, which is off-putting, but not as bad as the dreadful blonde wigs and die jobs of other British series, like GoT.

Yeah, I thought it was just a dye job.

Not good, but no worse than some I've seen.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Lanfear done the same way.

It would be easier if Rafe went with someone whose ethnicity brought naturally dark hair and pale skin - say someone east Asian.  But it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility from what we've seen so far if he did it with dye or a wig.

18 hours ago, Andra said:

Selene is the name Lanfear uses when she disguises herself as someone approximately Rand's age.  Casting a 35- or 37-year old actor in the role would be problematic.  Without the disguise, she appears several years older, so someone in their mid-30s would work.

I don't know what Karim's age would have to do with how old Selene appears to be, since she wasn't disguising herself for him.

I also don't know who 'Galan' is.

Have we actually confirmed that Jessica Boone is playing Suroth?  I thought we were just speculating based on seeing her with the side of her head shaved.

I meant Galad and he is not 12 years younger than Morgase and neither of the actresses is  ginger /blonde

And as I said they hired a double to play Selene and she will be Lanfear the rest of the time

Margot Robbie would be fine in some idealized scenario where you can just get whoever you want, but budget aside, there is no way one of the top film stars in the world is going to take a minor role on a television show. I doubt she'd have even taken Galadriel (note who they actually got is some fairly obscure actress I've never heard of with very little history, and that is with a nearly unlimited budget). Grabbing someone even the caliber of Pike works because it's a leading role. She's the face of the series. Margot Robbie is not going to sit below Josha Stradowski on a cast list. I think this role tops out at about the prominence of a Maggie Siff or a Jenny Slate, a somewhat recognizable character actress. Even thinking about people who have played alongside Margot Robbie recently and have some level of name recognition, I doubt you could even get Margaret Qualley or Lena Dunham (not that either would make a good Lanfear anyway). Maybe that rat whisperer girl from The Suicide Squad would accept it.

I have no idea who's a strikingly beautiful and ideally dark-haired actress but isn't currently headlining global blockbusters or major primetime shows. Maybe Megan Fox has fallen far enough since Michael Bay kicked her to the curb? She'd practically be a joke and probably doesn't want to spend half her year in Prague, though. Maybe Angela Sarafyan, the lobotomized whore from Westworld? She's a little weird looking, but I found her beautiful. Oona Chaplin is pretty and even gives you a low key Game of Thrones crossover. What happened to Jessica Pare since Madmen ended?

If we get to pick anyone from our lifetime no matter how unrealistic, I'm going with Jennifer Connelly circa 20 years ago.

Ok so, not sure why this needed to be said or why I just had to hide half this thread. 

Stay on topic. This is about who you think would make a good Lanfear. 

It does not say lets discuss the logistics of hiring, salaries, or anything else. If you want to do that, another thread would be where to do it. 

If I thought that Will Smith would make a good Lanfear I would post that here - and there you go. 

Be mindful, be respectful, be warned. 

3 hours ago, CaddySedai said:

Ok so, not sure why this needed to be said or why I just had to hide half this thread. 

Stay on topic. This is about who you think would make a good Lanfear. 

It does not say lets discuss the logistics of hiring, salaries, or anything else. If you want to do that, another thread would be where to do it. 

If I thought that Will Smith would make a good Lanfear I would post that here - and there you go. 

Be mindful, be respectful, be warned. 

As I said it is either Natasha or Karima as announced the same week they had signed a body double for the role as she will be covered in blood that came out in August but WOT Up announced it on Jan 1 when Karima was announced

And Selene/ Lafear in cast as they have finished filming season 2

The WOT up episode it was in

If the show keeps Lanfear/Selene with the same physical description, I wouldn't be surprised if - in order to avoid actresses already known in America - Rafe selected someone of Asian descent for the role.

If that's the direction they go, there are some possibilities that are both young enough and unknown enough to fit: 

Samantha Win

MV5BNGE4YTMxMDgtNmJhMy00OGZiLTgwZTItOGVi

Shu An Oon

shu-an-oon-profile-path.jpg

Anne-Solenne Hatte

k52ArVwu159zkukhmdeeoAptmDZSVHVErq7MRthh

Stef Chang

3949170_11925260.jpg

These are all either not American or relatively unknown in the U.S. (as Rafe has tended to go with) and can pass as young enough to be Selene.

On 3/26/2022 at 4:49 AM, Andra said:

If the show keeps Lanfear/Selene with the same physical description, I wouldn't be surprised if - in order to avoid actresses already known in America - Rafe selected someone of Asian descent for the role.

If that's the direction they go, there are some possibilities that are both young enough and unknown enough to fit: 

Samantha Win

MV5BNGE4YTMxMDgtNmJhMy00OGZiLTgwZTItOGVi

Shu An Oon

shu-an-oon-profile-path.jpg

Anne-Solenne Hatte

k52ArVwu159zkukhmdeeoAptmDZSVHVErq7MRthh

Stef Chang

3949170_11925260.jpg

These are all either not American or relatively unknown in the U.S. (as Rafe has tended to go with) and can pass as young enough to be Selene.

As I have said it already has been filmed at these 4 randos are not in the mix . The cast for her double nearly a year ago and it has all been filmed

This is a tough one.  I can't name an actor that would fit easily.  I don't know many young/new actors.  From my old, male perspective - Halle Berry, Salma Hayek, Linda Carter, Sharon Stone, Priyanka Chopra...

Bosomy with a nice figure and beautiful face.  Sorry - very misogynistic, but that is Lanfear (Selene).  A teenage boy's dream...

9 hours ago, Humbugged2 said:

As I have said it already has been filmed at these 4 randos are not in the mix . The cast for her double nearly a year ago and it has all been filmed

No source you have provided actually confirms any of that.

The video you linked explicitly states that they are speculating, because Amazon is "keeping it close to the vest."

And the body double referenced is also never confirmed to be for her.  It is said to have been specifically for a scene with a nude female covered in blood.  I'm not aware of any such scene anywhere in the books - for Lanfear or anyone else.  Certainly not for Selene in any of the material that will be in season 2.  As such, it would have to be something invented for the show.  Why anyone would automatically jump to "Aha!  That's Selene!" is completely beyond me.

Regardless, the fact that an unidentified body double has been cast for a character - even if it's for Selene or Lanfear - says nothing at all about who has been cast as that character.

So far as I've heard, season 2 is currently filming.   It has not "all been filmed."

But even if it has, Amazon hasn't let anyone know who some of the characters are.  Lanfear/Selene is one of those which no one has been told about.

And before I let you draw me into another pointless flame war - NONE OF THAT MATTERS.  This thread is about people's opinions on who would make a good Lanfear/Selene.  None of it is about claiming who specifically will or won't be cast in the role.  Until Amazon confirms the cast, all options are still valid.

And the body double referenced is also never confirmed to be for her.  It is said to have been specifically for a scene with a nude female covered in blood.  I'm not aware of any such scene anywhere in the books - for Lanfear or anyone else.

There are some scenes in the book that could qualify. For example, Mat's Aiel GF was nude during one of the Aiel fights.  Conceivably Faile might be covered in blood during her capture by the Shadio and she was stripped after capture.

I think the more interesting question is which actress warrants a body double.  Other than Rosamund Pike, are any of the other primary actresses a big enough star that they would have a body double for a nude scene?

4 hours ago, DavyDrones said:

I bet she will be cut! The way things are going I won't be surprised if from 13 we get only 6 or 7 of the Forsaken

We are already assuming there will only 7 Forsaken as hinted by by episode 6.  And while some Forsaken can easily be cut for combined I do believe Lanfear is making it into the show.

Personally I thought  Eva Green would have made a great Lanfear.

4 hours ago, Skipp said:

We are already assuming there will only 7 Forsaken as hinted by by episode 6.  And while some Forsaken can easily be cut for combined I do believe Lanfear is making it into the show.

Personally I thought  Eva Green would have made a great Lanfear.

I wouldn't have put it beyond Rafe to change it so none of the Forsaken are women.  But that scene does show at least a couple of the figurines are female.

17 hours ago, Andra said:

I wouldn't have put it beyond Rafe to change it so none of the Forsaken are women.  But that scene does show at least a couple of the figurines are female.

Come on Andra, statement's like this are just reductive and you're better than that.

Season 1 already has 2 female antagonists(not counting the Seanchan cameo) so this bloody idea that Rafe wouldn't sully a female character to villiany is juvenile.

8 hours ago, Skipp said:

Come on Andra, statement's like this are just reductive and you're better than that.

Season 1 already has 2 female antagonists(not counting the Seanchan cameo) so this bloody idea that Rafe wouldn't sully a female character to villiany is juvenile.

I would have thought it was obvious that was a joke.

Clearly there is no problem in the show with female villains.

On 3/29/2022 at 4:04 PM, DavyDrones said:

I bet she will be cut! The way things are going I won't be surprised if from 13 we get only 6 or 7 of the Forsaken

Nah, Lanfear's instrumental to too much of the story. Can't cut that one. They might be able to combine a few though. Be'lal, Rahvin, Sammael and Balthamel can be combined into two characters, and I'd say Moghedien and Mesaana could be combined as well. Not sure what they'll do with Graendal and Semirhage though, and I'd definitely keep Aginor, because he made the shadowspawn, and they should be able to turn that into a very scary scene!

Anyway, since we're not cutting Lanfear, let's keep casting. After giving it some more thought, I'd like to add another name, since Korean cinema has been exceedingly impressive of late: So-dam Park (from Parasite). I'd be very interested to see her take on Lanfear.

6 hours ago, Asthereal said:

Nah, Lanfear's instrumental to too much of the story. Can't cut that one. They might be able to combine a few though. Be'lal, Rahvin, Sammael and Balthamel can be combined into two characters, and I'd say Moghedien and Mesaana could be combined as well. Not sure what they'll do with Graendal and Semirhage though, and I'd definitely keep Aginor, because he made the shadowspawn, and they should be able to turn that into a very scary scene!

Anyway, since we're not cutting Lanfear, let's keep casting. After giving it some more thought, I'd like to add another name, since Korean cinema has been exceedingly impressive of late: So-dam Park (from Parasite). I'd be very interested to see her take on Lanfear.

So-dam Park who has thyroid cancer and got COVID at the same time so she took 3 years off

34 minutes ago, Humbugged2 said:

So-dam Park who has thyroid cancer and got COVID at the same time so she took 3 years off

Yes, the three years between the end of filming Parasite in late 2018 and now.  She is acting again, and has a new movie that came out in January.

And still has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.  Which is:

For fun, I'd like to see all of your ideal Lanfears! Both unrealistic castings and fully achieveable ones. 

Edited by Andra

17 hours ago, Humbugged2 said:

What? Holy cow that's bad. Hope she recovers fully.

I tend to follow the news around movies quite closely, but this one completely escaped my notice.

Quick search reveals she's indeed working again and seems to be okay for now.

On 4/5/2022 at 5:06 PM, Asthereal said:

Graendal and Semirhage must be two different characters. They are two different healers. One works with mental illness the other is phisician healing the body. Also their characters are soooo different. I hope they are not combined I really do.

11 hours ago, DavyDrones said:

Graendal and Semirhage must be two different characters. They are two different healers. One works with mental illness the other is phisician healing the body. Also their characters are soooo different. I hope they are not combined I really do.

The problem is that we have already had a very strong hint (from Stepin's "altar" of figurines) that there are only seven Forsaken.  If that holds, I suspect that combining two healers into one would be one of the obvious options.  Even given their character differences.

Something that hasn't prevented many of the changes readers object to.