DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Why Do they keep acting as if the dragon reborn can be female?

Kazhvar

7 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

I'd say this is true for the first, and maybe even second seasons.  She is top billed.

But this will change as Rand takes center stage and becomes the lead after a couple seasons

I disagree, and believe that even once the identity of the Dragon Reborn is revealed within the show and other characters also begin seeing their importance to the story increased, Rosamund Pike will continue to appear at the top of cast lists, be promoted as the Series Lead, have her name appear first in the Opening Titles of the series and see her character significantly featured in some capacity for as long as she remains a part of its cast.

We'll see whether or not I'm wrong, but I don't see anything that indicates that I will be.

28 minutes ago, dexterryu said:

Unless they actually change it, I think this will be a moot discussion in about 9 days assuming they don't do some annoying cliffhanger.

Just because I like to stir things up sometimes and because I took a class in old English once upon a time......did you know that the word moot means something completely different than what it is now used for? Most people now use it to mean that there is nothing more to argue about.  However....

moot (n.) ... "to debate, argue for and against" (mid-14c.), from Old English motian "to meet, talk, discuss, argue, plead," from mot "meeting" (see moot (n.)). Meaning "raise or bring forward for discussion" is from 1680s.

Hence, the Entmoot.   Sorry, word nerdism strikes again. ?

12 minutes ago, MasterAblar said:

- Moiraine dies devastating Rand and effecting his character for the rest of the series

This would be the biggest loss, IMO. Regardless of Moiraine's role, it'll take some careful writing and acting to show Rand's paranoia over Aes Sedai, guilt of women dying, and general descent into darkness and insanity. So long as they preserve the core themes of loss of control over his life and guilt over the death/destruction he's causing, I expect it'll work out.

20 minutes ago, DigificWriter said:

Using specific terms like "lead" and following internal industry practices like explicitly naming her and only her in the official logline, seeking out actresses for Moiraine before looking to cast any of the other roles, and listing Rosamund Pike as the very first person on all cast sheets are all pretty direct signals that the WoT TV series was developed as an adaptation with Moiraine at its center even though the story is not directly hers. 

No it doesn't. It is evidence that they are marketing their biggest star to get eyes on the series. It has nothing to do with the whole entire saga of the Wheel of Time being rewritten to happen from Moiraine's POV. She is the main protagonist for S1. That is all. 

24 minutes ago, DigificWriter said:

I disagree, and believe that even once the identity of the Dragon Reborn is revealed within the show and other characters also begin seeing their importance to the story increased, Rosamund Pike will continue to appear at the top of cast lists, be promoted as the Series Lead, have her name appear first in the Opening Titles of the series and see her character significantly featured in some capacity for as long as she remains a part of its cast.

I'd actually be OK with that.  Pike is doing such a great job with the character, I wouldn't be mad to have her stay as the main character.

I guess we'll see what happens, if the show is successful enough to keep going after Season 2.  As mentioned above, I'm hoping the series emphasizes the complexity of Rand's and Moiraine's relationship, showing how Rand comes to rely on her and thus making her disappearance that much more impactful.  Maybe that's the point when Rand replaces her as the lead role?

29 minutes ago, DigificWriter said:

We will see.

I also think this will continue to be the Moiraine show.  Bummer.

Don't get me wrong.  She's a great actor.  I'm just not interested in the continued focus on her or her story.

5 hours ago, Yojimbo said:

I absolutely would not be surprised if Rand is bonded by someone by the end of the season.   I can see this happening at the Eye, with Nyneave or Egs saving Rand from certain death by stumbling upon the bonding weave.   Or they both have to bond him together (maybe even having to link with Moraine) because his wounds are so terrible.   Only in this version of the universe, bonding a man who can channel means they can control his ability to channel, and so Rand becomes nothing but a living Angreal they can use to defeat Ba'alzamon.   So in that sense Nyn and Egs are also the DR.   Sure, he'll be able to channel on his own, but for any really big things he'll need to have their help.

Yes, that scenario is completely ridiculous and I admit that it has almost no chance of happening.  But almost means there is a chance, however infinitesimal, that it could.  These are the kinds of things I worry about the writers doing. 

Errm, yes, that would be a little off-putting!

But after the leaked gifs from episodes 7 & 8, there is a "Rand-as-battery" theory out there too. ?

1 hour ago, Chadouken said:

I'd say this is true for the first, and maybe even second seasons.  She is top billed.

But this will change as Rand takes center stage and becomes the lead after a couple seasons.

I highly doubt about it after six episodes.

this has been my single biggest concern since some of the Early Rafe interviews on the show - particularly on the  degendering souls interview 

However

Spoiler

there is a leak that popped up a couple of hours ago that gives me hope that they are abandoning the female dragon / multiheaded dragon stuff

2 minutes ago, Wraith235 said:

this has been my single biggest concern since some of the Early Rafe interviews on the show - particularly on the  degendering souls interview 

However

Hide contents

there is a leak that popped up a couple of hours ago that gives me hope that they are abandoning the female dragon / multiheaded dragon stuff

Abandoning? They never intended to have a different Dragon.

30 minutes ago, Wraith235 said:

However

Hide contents

Kudzu beat me to it, this was never the plan, the DR was always the same character it was in the books, this mystery did not change that, they are not rewriting the entire series around a change that big.

The Female was simply a possibility.  The Multi Headed was specifically brought up as a ridiculous and nonsensical idea and dismissed as such immediately.  Why do people think it has any real liklihood of possibility?

7 hours ago, TheDreadReader said:

It is probable that many people missed Rand channeling already in the show too.

Especially, if you don't already know that Rand is a channeler.

They also didn't put in the channeling effects either so most people who haven't read the books are probably unsure what happened.

1 minute ago, Dead Warder said:

Probably because trust is now a rare commodity these days.

We are in living in the midst of another time of accelerated transformation.

Online media is the worst form of reliability.

Adaptations have no qualms to making changes for the sake of dollars.

You know, invoking a certain other author is usually sacrilege here, but going to say Wizard's First Rule seems to be in effect here.....

4 minutes ago, KakitaOCU said:

You know, invoking a certain other author is usually sacrilege here, but going to say Wizard's First Rule seems to be in effect here.....

Yeah, gonna hard disagree here.

Believing that there's a possibility of the identity of the Dragon Reborn being changed for the TV series doesn't mean that people are stupid.

Belief in said possibility exists because the show has cultivated it and made it real rather than just a narrative ploy to keep a mystery alive.

36 minutes ago, KakitaOCU said:

Kudzu beat me to it, this was never the plan, the DR was always the same character it was in the books, this mystery did not change that, they are not rewriting the entire series around a change that big.

The Female was simply a possibility.  The Multi Headed was specifically brought up as a ridiculous and nonsensical idea and dismissed as such immediately.  Why do people think it has any real liklihood of possibility?

They're not exactly subtle with their numbers.

"Rumors of FOUR Ta'veren in the Two Rivers."

"It's one of the FOUR/FIVE of you."

"It has to be one of you FIVE."

Edited by TheMountain

1 minute ago, TheMountain said:

They're not exactly subtle with their numbers.

"Rumors of FOUR Ta'veren in the Two Rivers."

"It's one of the FOUR/FIVE of you."

"It has to be one of you FIVE."

"FIVE-headed dragon."

It's a waste of time debating this but... Where are you getting "FIVE-headed dragon" from?

The line in the show is many-headed and Suian asked why would the Wheel split one soul into many. No fives.

19 minutes ago, Sabio said:

Siuan also didn't dismiss the idea, her answer to me seemed more of a trying to understand if the pattern would do such a thing.  After all who can say what the pattern might do.  I mean Moiraine was going on about maybe they misunderstood the prophecy and such.

I don't know... I took Siuan's reaction there as more or less: "Moiraine, have you been eating paste again?"

31 minutes ago, Kudzu said:

It's a waste of time debating this but... Where are you getting "FIVE-headed dragon" from?

The line in the show is many-headed and Suian asked why would the Wheel split one soul into many. No fives.

Yeah I removed that last one right after I posted, must have taken a bit to update.

In the books we have many occasions ofn prophecies being misunderstood, and prophecies that appear to be contradictory all being fulfilled in surprising ways. 

I would not be surprised if at some point it is explained that many-headed Dragon meant the DR's (why does autocorrect always want it to be Dr? That's a different show!) soul is reborn in one individual, but in this cycle it needs other ta'veren, such as the Wolf King and the Gambler/Raven

3 hours ago, KakitaOCU said:

Because Lately  I Have seen popping out a awful lot of horrible adaptations (at least Cowboy Bebop got cancelled...on metacritic its rating is not far from WoT) with no true respect for source material. Cowboy Bebop is really interesting because the people in the show at the beginning were even mocking those stupid nerds that were expressing concern About the fact they were "fixing" the show...then the show got rightfully balefired and they started moaning.

So my level of trust for these production is quite low and the first six episodes of Rafe's Waste of Time didn't help to grow it.

At this point, it is even irrelevant if Rand is the DR or not, if it is a multi-headed DR of Coiplin and Congar, if it is Bela etc etc.