DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Perrin and Laila

DojoToad

I am one of those people who think that EF wasn't portrayed well in the book.  A small, remote, farming town in a dangerous land with minimal medical (Nyn's healing being a unicorn) resources need all the kids as possible because many wouldn't survive.  There is no chance that the normal 19 year old wouldn't be married and have kids.  For example, England in the 1700's had a marriage age of 12 for women and 14 for men.  There is no reason to suppose that EF would waste so many fertile years by delaying marriage so long.

9 hours ago, DaddyFinn said:

That can either support the viewpoint or not. Not every young couple has sex everytime they are alone or share a bed. I see what you mean though. I think the EF in the show is a bit more open and free with (premarital) sex, but that's not important for me personally and it doesn't bother me.

Are we getting a bit offtopic? ?

What thread hasn't gotten off-topic? ?

I actually had to go back through and figure out how a Perrin/Laila thread got onto premarital sex in general.  It was something about them being old enough to be married, rather than being young and unrealistically innocent.

5 hours ago, expat said:

I am one of those people who think that EF wasn't portrayed well in the book.  A small, remote, farming town in a dangerous land with minimal medical (Nyn's healing being a unicorn) resources need all the kids as possible because many wouldn't survive.  There is no chance that the normal 19 year old wouldn't be married and have kids.  For example, England in the 1700's had a marriage age of 12 for women and 14 for men.  There is no reason to suppose that EF would waste so many fertile years by delaying marriage so long.

Yeah no doubt about it. They all would have been married with kids at their ages. I never liked that aspect of the books either. I was fine with them "aging" up the EF and/or giving them more mature roles.

I wasnt a huge fan of book 1. The hook(s) for me were the prologue and the prophecies. From those I knew we would leave behind the LoTR ripoff eventually and turn into a different story.

I am surprised that many people didn't like, or weren't hooked by book 1.  If you didn't like it why waste time on the rest?  Glimmers of the prophecies or a great prologue wouldn't have been enough to keep me going.  But I admire your tenacity to keep digging for gold on hunches that it would get better.

Of course, looking back, I did the same thing through the slog of the middle books.  But I had significantly more glimpses of gold than those that didn't care for the EotW.  I didn't have to hold onto faith like many of you did.  Perseverance, wisdom, something else - my hats off to the true believers.

I am surprised that many people didn't like, or weren't hooked by book 1. 

Not liking aspects of the book is not the same as hating the book.  No book (or TV show/movie) is perfect.  Understanding what you don't like and the importance of those aspects to the overall book is critical to deciding that there was enough good stuff to continue.  Blowing relatively trivial problems up to extreme importance is a good way to not read a good series. 

Overall, book 1 was a decent read as a standalone novel, but introduced enough interesting ideas that reading further books to see how it evolved was worthwhile.  If the series hadn't improved in the next couple of books, I would have likely stop reading. 

2 hours ago, expat said:

No book (or TV show/movie) is perfect.

I wonder. Can something not be such that any alteration of it would either make it worse or at least turn it into something entirely different? Maybe the Iliad? It would at least seem presumptuous to say that something would make it "better". I think if Bach had written a book, it would probably have been perfect. :)

On 1/18/2022 at 10:40 AM, DojoToad said:

I am surprised that many people didn't like, or weren't hooked by book 1.  If you didn't like it why waste time on the rest?

Do you remember how much genuinely awful fantasy fare was around in those days? 

8 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

Do you remember how much genuinely awful fantasy fare was around in those days? 

I also think he gets part of the mark wrong - it's not that people didn't like it, it's just that it wasn't absolutely amazing. and I can agree with that. the first book was kind of slow, but did a good job of developing the world and laying the groundwork forward and doing enough to capture people going  forward. 

It didn't catch me as hard as Red Rising, Lies of Locke Lamora, and Stormlight Archive did, but it did enough to keep me engaged and promise more down the road.

Even still - I think the first book did a better job then the first season of the show did.

Edited by Cauthonfan4

On 1/18/2022 at 10:40 AM, DojoToad said:

I am surprised that many people didn't like, or weren't hooked by book 1.  If you didn't like it why waste time on the rest?  Glimmers of the prophecies or a great prologue wouldn't have been enough to keep me going.  But I admire your tenacity to keep digging for gold on hunches that it would get better.

Of course, looking back, I did the same thing through the slog of the middle books.  But I had significantly more glimpses of gold than those that didn't care for the EotW.  I didn't have to hold onto faith like many of you did.  Perseverance, wisdom, something else - my hats off to the true believers.

I loved the EOTW. It took about 200 pages to get acclimated to the pace. I had read the LOTR books, plenty of Terry Brooks, some other Tolkien knock offs. I was used to more action, less description. Reading and enjoying the WOT books definitely shifted my idea of what constitutes good fantasy fiction. 

18 hours ago, Cauthonfan4 said:

I also think he gets part of the mark wrong - it's not that people didn't like it, it's just that it wasn't absolutely amazing. and I can agree with that. the first book was kind of slow, but did a good job of developing the world and laying the groundwork forward and doing enough to capture people going  forward. 

It didn't catch me as hard as Red Rising, Lies of Locke Lamora, and Stormlight Archive did, but it did enough to keep me engaged and promise more down the road.

Even still - I think the first book did a better job then the first season of the show did.

I love the Red Rising series. Impatiently waiting for book 6. I gave up on Way of Kings after about 200 pages but I’m thinking I’ll try it again.

EotW was a good read but I remember being a bit confused by the eye of the world scene. 

2 hours ago, Elder_Haman said:

Huh. I just like to read. I almost never put a book down before I've finished. 

I used to be that way.  Used to not matter how bad it was - I needed to complete it.  Be it a book, show, movie, or whatever.  But there is so much out there that I'll never get to already so I stopped wasting time on stuff that didn't do it for me.  There is too much good out there to discover.

The only exception I can think of was 'The Office'.  Heard the hype, watched the first 3 episodes to give it a 'fair' shot.  And gave up.  Many years later went back and it is one of my favorite shows - been through the entire series twice.  So guess I can miss some gems in the rough, but I have more time to discover as well.  You'll never see/read it all...

1 minute ago, DojoToad said:

I used to be that way.  Used to not matter how bad it was - I needed to complete it.  Be it a book, show, movie, or whatever.  But there is so much out there that I'll never get to already so I stopped wasting time on stuff that didn't do it for me.  There is too much good out there to discover.

The only exception I can think of was 'The Office'.  Heard the hype, watched the first 3 episodes to give it a 'fair' shot.  And gave up.  Many years later went back and it is one of my favorite shows - been through the entire series twice.  So guess I can miss some gems in the rough, but I have more time to discover as well.  You'll never see/read it all...

I'm not the same with shows/movies. I'll tap out if I'm not being entertained. Not books though, for whatever reason. Which is why I read so much god awful fantasy in my teens and early twenties.

Fortunately, I've become a bit more discerning with age.

3 hours ago, DojoToad said:

I did the exact same thing with both The Office and Parks and Rec - love both now