DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

2 Minute IGN exclusive clip Moiraine/Nynaeve

Skipp

IGN posted this 2 minute clip

https://www.ign.com/videos/the-wheel-of-time-season-1-exclusive-official-clip-ign-first

Spoiler

It is actually quite interesting with the ramifications here.  Nynaeve's mentor went to the White Tower and was rejected because she was a peasant or was she rejected because she couldn't actually channel despite what she thought?  We know the mentor dies, if she could channel she would begin to slow and from the way Nynaeve states "She remember until the day she died" it sounds like she died of old age.

Spoiler

I could be reading to much into this but I would think it would make for a better story if the mentor was rejected but mistook the reason why and such Nynaeve's anger against the White Tower is misplaced.  If I am wrong it does make for a lot of potential changes though.

Edited by Elder_Haman
Spoiler Tags added.

Spoiler

I could be reading to much into this but I would think it would make for a better story if the mentor was rejected but mistook the reason why and such Nynaeve's anger against the White Tower is misplaced.  If I am wrong it does make for a lot of potential changes though.

Spoiler

Or she was turned away from the Tower because she was "too old," or too weak, or had a block or some of the myriad other reasons that women got turned away from the Tower. Let's not forget the Tower didn't exactly welcome any woman that could channel with open arms.

Edited by Elder_Haman

Spoiler

There was some speculation that Moiraine might think Nynaeve is the Dragon Reborn. And here we see Moiraine investigating that possibility. Knowing what we know, and based on the dialogue here in Moiraine probing for Nynaeve's age, Moiraine should easily figure out Nynaeve is too old. But she wouldn't have known that before this interview, which is presumably before Winternight.

Edited by Agitel

1 hour ago, Agitel said:
  Hide contents

There was some speculation that Moiraine might think Nynaeve is the Dragon Reborn. And here we see Moiraine investigating that possibility. Knowing what we know, and based on the dialogue here in Moiraine probing for Nynaeve's age, Moiraine should easily figure out Nynaeve is too old. But she wouldn't have known that before this interview, which is presumably before Winternight.

If you don't mind knowing answer below:

Spoiler

It is indeed before Winternight, early in Episode 1

Spoiler

So, Nynaeve is no longer of the 'old blood of Manetheren', and her father was not the local farmer/ranger who trained her to stalk the game in the local mountains. Here goes her Two Rivers background explaining her outstanding tracking abilities, and her heritage explaining her outstanding strength in One Power. Thoughts?

Spoiler

Not sure why everything is hidden in the thread, but I will keep the theme.

Moiraine states that Nynaeve is not from EF or TR, whichever name they are using for the village.  That does not mean that she could not be from the old blood.  The blood of Manetheren could extend out past EF.  This is just a possability.

She was brought there as a baby.  So, her Two Rivers background would still be intact.  She would still grow up learning those skills she has in the book.

I take her anger toward the tower being a misunderstanding of what happened to the woman who raised her.  I think we have all known people who have hoped and worked toward something, like a specific job, and they become bitter toward it or the company when they are rejected.  They come up with some reason outside their control as to why they were rejected and to show how wrong that rejection was.

Again… these changes make no sense to me. 

you know I take my dog for walks… And she’ll walk in to somebody else’s yard and smell their dog and she’ll smell it for a minute and then Peein the yard to cover the dog’s original scent with her new scent. It’s sort of feels like what Ralph Jenkins is doing this here with all these characters and their backstory …… just marking his territory for no reason other than to mark it. 

I really am fine with all the changes with Mat and Perrin so far. They make sense to me. I don’t get this one. 

3 minutes ago, Katherine said:

Again… these changes make no sense to me. 

you know I take my dog for walks… And she’ll walk in to somebody else’s yard and smell their dog and she’ll smell it for a minute and then Peein the yard to cover the dog’s original scent with her new scent. It’s sort of feels like what Ralph Jenkins is doing this here with all these characters and their backstory …… just marking his territory for no reason other than to mark it. 

I really am fine with all the changes with Mat and Perrin so far. They make sense to me. I don’t get this one. 

Spoiler

nynaeve being born outside

changes nothing for the story, and it probably won't ever be mentioned again. it's possibly to justify moiraine's interest in nynaeve?

as for the backstory of the previous wisdom, i can assume it introduces stuff about the world. and it gives nynaeve a reason for hating aes sedai from the start.

i can only speculate with the limited material here, but there can be a lot of small reasons for why they made changes to backstories.

Good points on the wisdom dying. She should still be alive if she could channel, unless she was like 580 years old when Nynaeve was her apprentice. So like I said in the other thread, this is either bad writing or the wisdom lied or was mistaken.

Speaking of wilders, they must be EXTREMELY rare or you would have loads and loads of survivors everywhere just due to them living so long.

Edited by Deadsy

7 hours ago, Skipp said:

IGN posted this 2 minute clip

https://www.ign.com/videos/the-wheel-of-time-season-1-exclusive-official-clip-ign-first

Reveal hidden contents

It is actually quite interesting with the ramifications here.  Nynaeve's mentor went to the White Tower and was rejected because she was a peasant or was she rejected because she couldn't actually channel despite what she thought?  We know the mentor dies, if she could channel she would begin to slow and from the way Nynaeve states "She remember until the day she died" it sounds like she died of old age.

Reveal hidden contents

Now that I've finally had the chance to watch it: Moiraine is a total butthole here and I love it. And she totally plays Nynaeve here to get her age out of her.

Edited by Deadsy

14 minutes ago, Deadsy said:

Good points on the wisdom dying. She should still be alive if she could channel, unless she was like 580 years old when Nynaeve was her apprentice. So like I said in the other thread, this is either bad writing or the wisdom lied or was mistaken.

Speaking of wilders, they must be EXTREMELY rare or you would have loads and loads of survivors everywhere just due to them living so long.

Except that this is pretty clearly true in the books also

EotW ch 21:Not all Wisdoms could listen to the wind, but the best could. That was what Mistress Barran always said, just as she said Nynaeve would be one of the best.

Ravens:

Doral Barran was the oldest woman in Emond's Field, maybe in the whole Two Rivers, white-haired and frail, but still clear-eyed and not stooped at all... Mistress Barran often praised Nynaeve publicly for being such a quick learner. She had apprenticed Nynaeve three years earlier, after her then-apprentice died of some sickness even Mistress Barran could not cure. 

https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/Doral_Barran

11 minutes ago, Ralph said:

Except that this is pretty clearly true in the books also

EotW ch 21:Not all Wisdoms could listen to the wind, but the best could. That was what Mistress Barran always said, just as she said Nynaeve would be one of the best.

Ravens:

Doral Barran was the oldest woman in Emond's Field, maybe in the whole Two Rivers, white-haired and frail, but still clear-eyed and not stooped at all... Mistress Barran often praised Nynaeve publicly for being such a quick learner. She had apprenticed Nynaeve three years earlier, after her then-apprentice died of some sickness even Mistress Barran could not cure. 

https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/Doral_Barran

Not sure why you're saying "except." 

28 minutes ago, Ralph said:

So the bad writing is from the books? 

Um. No.

I was arguing that the wisdom couldn't channel, or she was turned away for another reason, or was lying to Nynaeve. Or it's bad writing in the show.

Edited by Deadsy