DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

New Content on Prime Video Wheel of Time Page!!

Elder_Haman

Unless I'm completely misremembering, they changed the synopsis too. It used to be about Moiraine on a quest, now it's about 5 villagers whose life changes when she arrives. Same basic general information, but now the EF are centered and presented as the protagonists of the show. Really interesting.

Also, they're calling the world the Westlands.

I don't have time to look through all of it right now but wow so much content!!

Edited by Rose

The Westlands is the closest thing to an official name for the main mapped area. It was used in the role playing game and RJ even used it himself after that. The only name that's more common is the affectionate "Randland", and that wasn't going to make the show. So it's interesting to see that naming convention continued.

Edited by Agitel

51 minutes ago, DaddyFinn said:

Mat's family is changed in some ways. I don't mind if they have written it well.

20211026_004427.thumb.jpg.fe75a91bdf093485efc06b2ac7da3faf.jpg

This is changed, but I like it.  I think it is a question that Mat struggles with later in the series, so pulling it out to the front is a cool idea.  This also could explain why his clothes look a lot poorer/more ragged than the others.  People wondered why.  It /also/ explains why he is tempted to steal the dagger when the others were not as tempted. It's not just an impulse issue...if his family has been extra poor and perhaps have a reputation of being thieves, etc, then stealing the dagger, something worth more money than he has ever imagined, becomes a whole lot more explainable.  And maybe it explains why Nynaeve doesn't trust Mat even quite late into the series and looks at him as shifty and unreliable.

Edited by WhiteVeils

I’m not sure how I feel about the implications to Mat’s parents. His father along with Tam desperately tried to find them. They both have great love and devotion for their children and left their farms to go all the way to Tar Valon to find them. Sure Abell didn’t get a ton of screen time, but still. 

39 minutes ago, JaimAybara said:

I’m not sure how I feel about the implications to Mat’s parents. His father along with Tam desperately tried to find them. They both have great love and devotion for their children and left their farms to go all the way to Tar Valon to find them. Sure Abell didn’t get a ton of screen time, but still. 

Maybe this makes his early arc more interesting

3 hours ago, Elder_Haman said:

Prime Video has updated the Wheel of Time page with brand new content.

Included are short character bios, an interactive map, and a timeline!

Check it out here:

I could be stupid, but where it this on the Amazon page? I looked everywhere and I don’t see it. 

15 minutes ago, AusLeviathan said:

Interestingly this seems to confirm that the show is going to present Egwene as a possibility for the Dragon Reborn as it mentions that she's heard rumours of four young people who potentially match the prophecy.

Good catch. And it seems all references to the Dragon Reborn either avoid pronouns or use the gender-neutral "they." 

Edited by Agitel

In the absence of actual episodes we don't have a lot to go on but those character blobs feel kind of like the back of the book blurbs.   Are they canon?   Generally, I would say they are not.  

If we assume the description is canon then I suspect that they are just trying to define the basics of Mat's character from the outset to help make things clearer. 

Struggling with whether he is good or not is not that big of a stretch for a character that says "I'm not a bloody hero."

Edited by TheDreadReader

Of all the main characters, Mat takes the longest to really "get going" in the books, though it's difficult to say how much of this is just due to him not getting a POV until The Dragon Reborn, given how sharp and distinctive his internal "voice" turned out to be (in other words: would he have been more compelling from the outset if we had been able to see the exact same storyline from the first two books but told in part through his eyes? Probably, but it's difficult to say how much). But his motivations through the first two books are fairly superficial / simplistic. Of all the characters, giving him a bit more of a backstory makes the most sense, though whether it works remains to be seen.

After looking through it, I’d say that I don’t really live any of the character bios. They don’t really pop for me. I feel they would have been better off using the one line tags from aMoL.  I’m also not inclined to draw too many conclusions about what they intend to do with the characters based on them. The blurbs are too vague and leaning heavily into the mystery of “who is the Dragon” to feel important to me. 

The map and the timeline are great! I hope they keep updating them as the season goes on. 

Guest Wolfbrother31

The interactive map is cool...

It's been a long, long time since I read New Spring ... Does anybody remember a Breen's Spring??

And anyone have theories on why they'd have Tear for S1 and nothing from the Borderlands? 

Also ... Deeply concerns me that they'd even suggest Egwene could be the Dragon (as I've explained elsewhere)! 

Edited by Wolfbrother31

Guest Wolfbrother31
4 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

After looking through it, I’d say that I don’t really live any of the character bios. They don’t really pop for me. I feel they would have been better off using the one line tags from aMoL.

I feel the same. 

And really do not understand leaning into "who is the Dragon". The fans know. Non-fans will be told or look it up immediately. 

I understand that EotW had some of that - but this isn't people reading the books for the first time. This is a TV adaption in the information age. 

I concur.

Amazon is hoping to bring in people new to the series. Not EVERYONE goes on wikipedia to spoil the tv show they plan to watch.

Keeping it close to the chest keeps the series and such fresh to newcomers.

Those of us versed in it aren't the target audience of the BIOs

Edited by CaddySedai

Just now, DaddyFinn said:

Why tell the story at all when it can be googled in a few seconds? I don't understand that mindset.

I know what a sad movie/tv viewing life one must have to spoil it before you watch it.

hell why watch anything at all, just read plot synopsis’ on wikipedia.

Read books? Nah I’ll just read the cliffs notes. Digitally of course.

Just now, CaddySedai said:

I know what a sad movie/tv viewing life one must have to spoil it before you watch it.

hell why watch anything at all, just read plot synopsis’ on wikipedia.

Read books? Nah I’ll just read the cliffs notes. Digitally of course.

Though to be fair I DO this when I have absolutely zero intention of watching something… and less wikipedia and more CinemaSins “Everything Wrong With” lmao.

But not with something I plan to enjoy. ?