DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

S1E4: The Dragon Reborn

SinisterDeath
Message added by SinisterDeath,

Reminder:

1. Discussion in this topic is limited to Episode 4.
  2. If your post is about the series, go to the Season 1 Discussion Topic.
  3. If your post doesn't fit in either topic, search the WoT TV show Forum for a similar Topic.
  4. If you cannot find a similar Topic, post a new one. If you are unsure, PM the moderators for help.
  5. If your post is Off-Topic, it will be moved or deleted without warning.
  6. Finally Be Respectful to each other.

4 minutes ago, Sir_Charrid said:

This does not back up your statement

Yes it does, Sanderson said that he doesn't consider this an adaptation of the books which is what I stated he said.

3 minutes ago, Sir_Charrid said:

We don't know why that was, might have been covid, might have been travel, or a scheduling clash, he is a producer on the show who acted as a consultant 

Yes he's a producer on the show and yet he still couldn't make it whilst the actors who were in the middle of shooting season 2  (and therefore were very busy) could.

Edited by AusLeviathan

Just now, AusLeviathan said:

Yes it does, Sanderson said that he doesn't consider this an adaptation of the books which is what I stated he said.

Yes and yet he still couldn't make it whilst the actors who are in the middle of shoot season 2 could.

I seriously think you are assuming far far too much, if he wasn't happy why hasn't he dropped out of the project, and he didn't. I really don't get what people expected from an 8 season, 8 episode adaptation of the books, a highlight reel of random scenes, a reduction of the characters to just 2 forsaken, rand and morraine? This was and is an impossible task to pull off and to my mind Rafe is doing it the right way, rush through the first 2 books, to my mind they are generic and archetypal of pretty much all fantasy tropes and offer nothing new or exciting to the genre. The reason WOT is so good is what comes after. 

8 minutes ago, Sir_Charrid said:

Why is this such an issue, I am really struggling to understand. No Rafe has confirmed the Dragon cant be a women, but, the Aes Sedai Don't know that because, after 3000 years, they don't know everything.

I was not talking about the prophesies.  I specifically mentioned Gitara Moroso's Foretelling, which is the event that began Moiraine's journey to find the DR.   I guess she never made that foretelling in this version of the story then.   Fine, I guess, but it was a pretty big event to just discard.

24 minutes ago, Harad the White said:

If he said that, which is doubtful, then he doesn't know what an adaptation is. Just because he's a good writer doesn't make him a genius in all things. Look at Elon Musk ;)--great at electric cars and rockets...other things--not so good. See the definition of adaptation, usefully given above by Dead Warder.

I am going to be controversial here but, I have tried reading brandon Sandersons work, really can't stand it, mistborn, his supposed masterpiece bored me and came across really badly written I got half way through and couldn't last any longer. I can actually see that he changed his writing style for WOT which is impressive, so I will be honest I am really pleased he acted as consultant but didn't actually write the TV series. 

Just now, Yojimbo said:

I was not talking about the prophesies.  I specifically mentioned Gitara Moroso's Foretelling, which is the event that began Moiraine's journey to find the DR.   I guess she never made that foretelling in this version of the story then.   Fine, I guess, but it was a pretty big event to just discard.

A foretelling whether by Gitara Moroso or someone else is referenced by Moiraine in the show.

So, potentially modified but in no way discarded.

1 minute ago, Sir_Charrid said:

if he wasn't happy why hasn't he dropped out of the project

To be fair he has incentive to stay on. He's trying to get his own adaptations made and this is his best shot, use this show to build connections with people and then pitch his own adaptations from what he learns, using any mistakes as a lesson of what not to do.

43 minutes ago, dog421 said:

Agreed about the subjectivity. When they did gentle him, it seemed that it had to be done, so that whole conversation about Liandrin going around gettting support for the gentling seems like it just went nowhere. It is probably something that could have hit the cutting room floor, without much effect on the rest of the story. Unless the amyrlin shows up later and asks, "what's this I hear about you trying to gentle Logain before he broke free?" It seems like a waste of time. Now that I think about it, a lot of the stuff in that episode was kind of stupid. That green's wards didn't sound an alarm until after everyone in the camp started screaming that Logain's army was approaching, but that could have been bad editing. Like it was shot in such a way that she was supposed to have known like two minutes before the rest of the camp, but the editors weren't on the same page, and yada yada yada. In general, I have hated the editing on this show.

It shows the audience that Liandrin is at best bucking the trend and going against the rules, it is all part of foreshadowing her eventual reveal. I thought it was ok, but, it seems modern TV writing is meant to make the audience feel clever and see things coming a mile off vs just cold surprise that you never anticipated. 

2 minutes ago, Harad the White said:

It's there in a way. The blind AS.

Yes, I thought I remembered that line.  Then my original post stands.   If she had a foretelling on a specific day then why can't Moraine count to 20, or however many years they are now saying it was from that day to the day she went to EF?   It makes her look stupid.   

Just now, Yojimbo said:

Yes, I thought I remembered that line.  Then my original post stands.   If she had a foretelling on a specific day then why can't Moraine count to 20, or however many years they are now saying it was from that day to the day she went to EF?   It makes her look stupid.   

This is a frustration for me regarding the 5th dragon, if Egwene has been aged up to match the boys then I understand her wondering if it could be 1 of the 4 based on age (although in the books it narrows them down to a few weeks). Her and Lan even talk about Logain being too old, although it wasn't Morraine who said there could be one of 5, it was the darkfriend, so maybe word has simply got out that 5 ran from Emonds field? 

1 minute ago, AusLeviathan said:

Yes he does, he flat out says he doesn't consider this an adaptation of the books, what exactly are you taking from that to come to the conclusion I'm wrong.

He says explicitly that changes like these are necessary for an adaptation. The entire post is about the process of adapting the books. 

He just doesn’t personally view them as an adaptation. Because that’s how he reconciles the changes in his own mind. 

2 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

He just doesn’t personally view them as an adaptation. Because that’s how he reconciles the changes in his own mind. 

Yes which is what I said. Sanderson doesn't consider the show to be an adaptation of the books, the man drew a line somewhere and that was it.

Edited by AusLeviathan

1 minute ago, Sir_Charrid said:

This is a frustration for me regarding the 5th dragon, if Egwene has been aged up to match the boys then I understand her wondering if it could be 1 of the 4 based on age (although in the books it narrows them down to a few weeks). Her and Lan even talk about Logain being too old, although it wasn't Morraine who said there could be one of 5, it was the darkfriend, so maybe word has simply got out that 5 ran from Emonds field? 

I'm pretty sure that ONLY the darkfriend Dana has said that it can be "one of the 5 of you".  Moiraine said 4 in episode one, and hasn't backtracked or changed that to my memory.

This fits with the way it is treated in the books (to a degree).  The Dark One was behind the "knowledge curve" compared to Moiraine.

4 minutes ago, Sir_Charrid said:

The Trollocs/Darkfriends didn't interrogate Nynaeve about her exact age like Moiraine did. So they don't know she's a few years older.  They just know she's really strong in the power.

Edited by WhiteVeils

Just now, WhiteVeils said:

The Trollocs/Darkfriends didn't interrogate Nynaeve about her exact age like Morainne did. So they don't know she's a few years older.  They just know she's really strong in the power.

But how do they, I mean really, this is the one piece that needs explanation, hopefully when we go back to Fain we will find this out. 

1 minute ago, AusLeviathan said:

Yes which is what I said. Sanderson doesn't consider the show to be an adaptation of the books, guy drew a line somewhere and that was it.

That's how they explained the disaster that was The Dark Tower.   Look how that turned out.

5 minutes ago, Sir_Charrid said:

But how do they, I mean really, this is the one piece that needs explanation, hopefully when we go back to Fain we will find this out. 

How do the Trollocs know that Rand is in Emond's Field at the beginning of the books?  That way.

Edited by WhiteVeils