DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

S1E4: The Dragon Reborn

SinisterDeath
Message added by SinisterDeath,

Reminder:

1. Discussion in this topic is limited to Episode 4.
  2. If your post is about the series, go to the Season 1 Discussion Topic.
  3. If your post doesn't fit in either topic, search the WoT TV show Forum for a similar Topic.
  4. If you cannot find a similar Topic, post a new one. If you are unsure, PM the moderators for help.
  5. If your post is Off-Topic, it will be moved or deleted without warning.
  6. Finally Be Respectful to each other.

20 minutes ago, AusLeviathan said:

I'm pretty sure he comes to that conclusion after listening to the very much insane Lews Therin's voice having a lucid moment.

Spoiler

Yes LTT has a lucid moment, but it is Rand's memory of Tam and his horror at almost having killed him that sparks his transformation.

It's not "the voices were right all along". And, at the bottom, it's Rand's acceptance that

Spoiler

There are no voices. He and LTT are the same person

That allows him to evolve into his final form, so to speak.

• Community Administrator
3 minutes ago, AusLeviathan said:

Perhaps Egwene will be the Super DR and Nynaeve will be the Ultra DR, yes that works it's all coming together now.

Nope.

By your logic this prophecy means Mat is the Omega DR

Fortune rides like the sun on high[76]
with the fox that makes the ravens fly.
Luck his soul, the lightning his eye,
He snatches the moons from out of the sky.[

3 minutes ago, Harad the White said:

But this is the VERY thing that films do. All films, and especially all good films.

No. Not all films have cheesy introductions. We were introduced to McGonogal, Dumbledoore, Hagrid, and Harry at the beginning of the first film, and it did not come across as hokey as this. They even found a way to deliver a lot of information about what had happened to harry's parents and voldemort, without it being forced. And the production value never looked like it was a school play.

2 minutes ago, Dead Warder said:

I dunno... ever watch One Tree Hill? 

Throwback Thursday - One Tree Hill - Some You Give Away

No. but it sounds like I dodged a bullet.

5 minutes ago, Harad the White said:

If only...how about a world with a forum in which every ridiculous prediction was punished with, e.g. one less lifetime post allowed, waiting, of course, for the ridiculous prediction to be proven wrong. Now this just might be hyperbole, something I usually endorse.

Perrin killing his own wife really did sound ridiculous...until it happened.

4 minutes ago, AusLeviathan said:

Everything to do with Rand from Falme onward since he won't be the DR?

That's not a change that needs to be made based on the changes to lore you've already established. It may be a change that fits that lore, but it's not necessary.

Also it certainly won't be happening.

6 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

By your logic this prophecy means Mat is the Omega DR

No, Mat is the Fox who snatches the moons from out of the sky. If this had mentioned anything about the DR then it would've been about Rand. Because it was written by a competent writer who knew what they were doing and wasn't just winging it.

7 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

That allows him to evolve into his final form, so to speak.

That comes after his revelation that gives him hope, a revelation that has now been smirked at and written off as insane ramblings.

Edited by AusLeviathan

1 minute ago, Harad the White said:

The N&Ns won't be happy until every character is the DR. Actually, it's not a bad idea. Liandrin DR and Alanna DR travel the Ways to meet Matt DR and Perrin DR, only to be captured by Padan Fain DR, and rescued by Nynaeve DR with Egwene DR. Sadly the only one not DR, is Rand.

Someone got a leak directly from Rafe 

6 minutes ago, TheDreadReader said:

In the end, the Green voluntarily joined in the gentling after Liandrin started the circle to do it.  One might say that Liandrin's pressure tactics, deployed before Logain's escape attempt, influenced the outcome.  That is a well crafted plot development.

As, for the whether the dialogue sounds "aes sedai" that seems a more subjective argument with no clear answer beyond individual taste.

Agreed about the subjectivity. When they did gentle him, it seemed that it had to be done, so that whole conversation about Liandrin going around gettting support for the gentling seems like it just went nowhere. It is probably something that could have hit the cutting room floor, without much effect on the rest of the story. Unless the amyrlin shows up later and asks, "what's this I hear about you trying to gentle Logain before he broke free?" It seems like a waste of time. Now that I think about it, a lot of the stuff in that episode was kind of stupid. That green's wards didn't sound an alarm until after everyone in the camp started screaming that Logain's army was approaching, but that could have been bad editing. Like it was shot in such a way that she was supposed to have known like two minutes before the rest of the camp, but the editors weren't on the same page, and yada yada yada. In general, I have hated the editing on this show.

1 minute ago, dog421 said:

When they did gentle him, it seemed that it had to be done, so that whole conversation about Liandrin going around gettting support for the gentling seems like it just went nowhere. It is probably something that could have hit the cutting room floor, without much effect on the rest of the story. Unless the amyrlin shows up later and asks, "what's this I hear about you trying to gentle Logain before he broke free?" It seems like a waste of time. Now that I think about it, a lot of the stuff in that episode was kind of stupid. That green's wards didn't sound an alarm until after everyone in the camp started screaming that Logain's army

It makes perfect sense. She lobbied to gentle him. And controversially, she may have allowed him to escape, to put her plan into effect. In any case when he escaped, and killed Kerene, they were all primed for the ultimate penalty. Kerene's wards sounded early.

10 minutes ago, Kudzu said:

Also it certainly won't be happening.

Sure it will, they're just changing stuff now to whatever they want it to be, no need to worry, it'll work out in the end.

5 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

Only in your head, brother.

No, quite clearly in the show actually.

4 minutes ago, Gothic Flame said:

But I think they should get away from making a claim that this is some "adaptation," since it really isn't.

To be fair Sanderson has been quite clear this isn't an adaptation, it's a completely different take that isn't what he or RJ wrote.

He may be happy to shill for Rafe to try and get his own adaptations off the ground but he's still not willing to actually have this be called an adaptation which is quite telling.

Edited by AusLeviathan

Just now, AusLeviathan said:

No quite clearly in the show actually.

Continuing to say the same thing over and over does not make you more persuasive.

If you feel like it stepped on Rand's moment, cool. But I don't see it that way. Lots of other people don't see it that way. And so your statements of certainty are the online equivalent of banging your head into a wall. 

But it does amuse me that you 'hate' the show so much and find it so detestable that you have to come on a forum and complain all day about it. Seems like - despite your claims - the show is giving you tons of enjoyment, even if that enjoyment is all about riling people up in online forums.

8 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

Neither has this show. Honestly, let's all pull back a bit from the hyperbole, shall we?

Alright, without hyperbole. I hated the production value when the reds chased the man they gentled in the beginning.

I hated how Moraine was just standing at the top of a cliff watching everything as if she was clairvoyant enough to know where to be and when to watch all of this, but not clairvoyant enough to know he isn't the dragon reborn until she watched him get gentled.

I hated the way she was introduced to the town at the banquet, it looked terrible.

I hated how most of the CG looked gun in the trolloc raid, but they left in the few bits that looked bad, when they could have just edited them out.

I hate how they turned Matt's parents into horrible people that don't care about their own children or each other.

I hate how cheesy Liandrin was made with her speeches before she gentles someone.

I hate how they downgraded the questioner from the whitecloaks from a religous zealot who thinks he is doing the right thing, to a ridiculous cliche bad guy that smirks and laughs while people are dying. We just saw this done perfectly on Game of thrones with the sparrows, but we have to watch this behavior wheel of time.

• Community Administrator
8 minutes ago, AusLeviathan said:

No, Mat is the Fox who snatches the moons from out of the sky. If this had mentioned anything about the DR then it would've been about Rand. Because it was written by a competent writer who knew what they were doing and wasn't just winging it.

Yet, it's still a prophecy related to the Dragon. It could have applied to Rand, but it didn't.

If you were given all the prophecies before reading the novels, you might not know which are about Rand, Egwene, Mat or Perrin.

And, contrary to what ever exists within your ficticious tv show "head cannon", we don't know what wordings they have used for the Prophecies.

10 minutes ago, Harad the White said:

The N&Ns won't be happy until every character is the DR. Actually, it's not a bad idea. Liandrin DR and Alanna DR travel the Ways to meet Matt DR and Perrin DR, only to be captured by Padan Fain DR, and rescued by Nynaeve DR with Egwene DR. Sadly the only one not DR, is Rand.

I realise you jest but...

Spoiler

This is actually not too far from the crux of the entire battle against the Dark One. "It was not about me, it was never about me... It was about them all".

5 minutes ago, Harad the White said:

It makes perfect sense. She lobbied to gentle him. And controversially, she may have allowed him to escape, to put her plan into effect. In any case when he escaped, and killed Kerene, they were all primed for the ultimate penalty. Kerene's wards sounded early.

When her wards went off the village aleady knew they were under attack. Kerene's wards gave them no warning.