DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Winespring Inn

CaddySedai

9 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

Slow your collective roll. 
They are clearly physical, but it’s not a sure thing that they’ve done the deed. 

I wouldn’t be the least bit shocked if the scene from the trailer ends awkwardly because they DON’T have sex. 

I agree.

Of all the rumored changes, this is the one that I think could most start to feel a little YA-ish as the series goes on.

26 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

Slow your collective roll. 
They are clearly physical, but it’s not a sure thing that they’ve done the deed. 

I wouldn’t be the least bit shocked if the scene from the trailer ends awkwardly because they DON’T have sex. 

Could be.  But I see it as after the deed is done.  Just an thought...

On 10/9/2021 at 11:32 AM, templar7 said:

Set and atmosphere A+

directing and characters C

Agreed. Although I'm probably a little more harsh than most. I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit at the part where Rand and Perrin were talking about whatever the heck ceremony the showrunners invented for Egwene to undergo. Came off like generic YA trash and reminded me of the MTV Shannara show. 

Lan and Moiraine's introduction is corny and lame. Set design aside, the whole scene just smacks of less creative people trying their hands at a story from someone infinitely more talented than themselves. 

5 hours ago, Brytac said:

Unrecognisable from the books.

100% Rand and Egwene will be having sex before you know it...because you know, the TV Show writers know best.

I wouldn't say 100%. 65% unrecognizable sounds about right to me. It's just a shame that the showrunners decided to make everything as generic as possible for no apparent reason at all besides the fact that they didn't have enough talent to come up with anything better. 

THIS I FORETELL! This show is going to be like the Star Wars prequels. Everyone's gonna go nuts because they want to like it so bad. Initial reviews will be great. People on this forum are gonna splooge about how great it is, but as time goes on it will become more and more difficult to apologize for the show's shortcomings. By the time Egwene is revealed to be the Dragon Reborn in Season 2, everyone will finally have to admit that it's not what they'd always wanted from a WoT TV show after all. 

18 minutes ago, swollymammoth said:

Lan and Moiraine's introduction is corny and lame. 

I totally disagree. I thought Lan's and Moiraine's intro/entrance was awesome, best thing about the whole clip for me! Moiraine's commanding stare was great and just what I expected of an Aes Sedai presence like her. 

The scenes from the Winespring inn were nice, they have paid good attention to detail and atmosphere.

As for sex between Rand and Egwene as others mention, it does not fit the books (innocence of the main characters) but since they have aged up our heroes and made them even more of 'couple' it would not be that surprising. 

As others may know from previous comments I have made on the subject over the last year, I have excitement but also some concerns regarding this series (not being a 'faithful' adaptation and deviating too much from canon for my taste), but I am giving it a chance and hope I will enjoy it despite the differences (I enjoyed the teaser-trailer for the most part and also this first clip, something which gives me hope). 

22 minutes ago, swollymammoth said:

I wouldn't say 100%. 65% unrecognizable sounds about right to me. It's just a shame that the showrunners decided to make everything as generic as possible for no apparent reason at all besides the fact that they didn't have enough talent to come up with anything better. 

THIS I FORETELL! This show is going to be like the Star Wars prequels. Everyone's gonna go nuts because they want to like it so bad. Initial reviews will be great. People on this forum are gonna splooge about how great it is, but as time goes on it will become more and more difficult to apologize for the show's shortcomings. By the time Egwene is revealed to be the Dragon Reborn in Season 2, everyone will finally have to admit that it's not what they'd always wanted from a WoT TV show after all. 

Bro, the prequels got mixed reviews and were shit on by the internet for a decade and a half. Now they are seen as flawed, but with redeeming qualities.

Leave Star Wars outta this!

43 minutes ago, DaddyFinn said:

Why? Rand and Egwene should break up pretty early on.

Another poster in a different thread described them as each other's defaults.  Akin, I think, to the story telling short cut of the "the head cheerleader always dates the quarterback" that you see in a lot of high school movies regardless of genre.  Others may see it more as a "doomed love" and have emotional resonance with it.  Mileage can vary.

I have three concerns really..

Adding more reasons for Angsty Rand to angst feels unnecessary for him given all that he has already going on.  

Putting to much focus on Rand and Egwene early can take away from the character dynamics and development of his other relationships.  Aviendha, for example, already has the Elayne factor to contend with.  What changes might adding more Egwene and Rand add or take away from her character?

Where it can tip over into YA-ish territory is if the writers adding more Rand and Eqwene is the potential  for the writers to spend a lot of time on his various relationships and to the detriment of everything else.  Something like how the Vampire Diaries progressed through Stefan and Damon or the original Roswell's season one drama was so relationship driven.

Where amping up the Rand and Egwene make more sense (at least to me) is within Egwene's head.  It gives her some emotional stakes early on which is something that I always thought she lacked.  That's why I tend to think that the Rand and Egwene stuff will happen either in her Accepted test or gets moved forward into whatever hair braiding ceremony they add in.  She has to close the door on it.  Rand just has to feel sad about it and carry on with all his other stuff.

A way just adding it to Egwene's story line might work can be seen in the winespring inn clip.  We are shown from Rand's pov that she's avoiding him.  He doesn't know why and may be hurt by it.  We don't see it from her perspective.   I kind of think of it as she's just trying to get through a busy night at the inn.  She has information from the ceremony that she needs to think about.  And, if she talks to him she just might fall apart.  Looking at it that way,  an emotional cost can be added to both her desire to pursue life outside the two rivers or staying behind and becoming a wisdom.  It makes it a little less "adventure! let's go!"

Hopefully, my ramblings make sense. ?

i would generally say that we went past the reactions to the trailer and we are in baseless speculation terrain. people reading sex from a small scene where they are half-naked, well, perhaps i'm skewed here because of my time spent in finland doing saunas naked, but that's what happens in shienar, and they are in a large place, i doubt that's somewhere they can get intimate, it could easily be a public bath.

as for people claiming they will make egwene the dragon... just because they don't like some of the changes seen so far and they expect much worse. we're past the point of meaningful conversation

33 minutes ago, mogi68 said:

Bro, the prequels got mixed reviews and were shit on by the internet for a decade and a half. Now they are seen as flawed, but with redeeming qualities.

Leave Star Wars outta this!

Ah, a Zoomer in the wild who hasn't seen the Plinkett reviews! People who think that the failure of the sequel trilogy somehow makes the prequels "flawed but with redeeming qualities" instead of  just movies which actually suck are the audience Amazon is aiming their WoT adaptation at because they'll forgive anything so long as its branded properly. 

1 hour ago, swollymammoth said:

I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit at the part where Rand and Perrin were talking about whatever the heck ceremony the showrunners invented for Egwene to undergo. Came off like generic YA trash and reminded me of the MTV Shannara show. 

The way they talked was pretty natural and realistic

8 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

people reading sex from a small scene where they are half-naked, well, perhaps i'm skewed here because of my time spent in finland doing saunas naked, but that's what happens in shienar, and they are in a large place, i doubt that's somewhere they can get intimate, it could easily be a public bath.

Finland mentioned! ? It's commonly thought that they are in the Winespring inn in that scene.

• Community Administrator
2 minutes ago, DaddyFinn said:

The way they talked was pretty natural and realistic

100% agree.

If anything, I felt Nynaeve confronting Lan with "name yourself stranger", felt a bit generic fantasy and a bit like her time on Power Rangers.

26 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

i would generally say that we went past the reactions to the trailer and we are in baseless speculation terrain. people reading sex from a small scene where they are half-naked, well, perhaps i'm skewed here because of my time spent in finland doing saunas naked, but that's what happens in shienar, and they are in a large place, i doubt that's somewhere they can get intimate, it could easily be a public bath.

The Two Rivers is very far from Shienar.

1 hour ago, swollymammoth said:

Agreed. Although I'm probably a little more harsh than most. I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit at the part where Rand and Perrin were talking about whatever the heck ceremony the showrunners invented for Egwene to undergo. Came off like generic YA trash and reminded me of the MTV Shannara show. 

I didn't throw up - not even a little bit.  But was surprised they didn't comment on the braid.  That should have stood out like a beacon - unless they are treating it different than in the books.

6 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

I didn't throw up - not even a little bit.  But was surprised they didn't comment on the braid.  That should have stood out like a beacon - unless they are treating it different than in the books.

I think that they saw the braid earlier that day when the three boys were dicing at the inn and Egwene walks in. It's in the teaser.

Edited by DaddyFinn

2 hours ago, swollymammoth said:

the part where Rand and Perrin were talking about whatever the heck ceremony the showrunners invented for Egwene to undergo. Came off like generic YA trash and reminded me of the MTV Shannara show.

Dude, there were like 3 lines of dialogue. Maybe wait until you see the entire first episode before dismissing it as "generic YA trash"? What's YA about the conversation?

2 hours ago, swollymammoth said:

the showrunners decided to make everything as generic as possible for no apparent reason at all besides the fact that they didn't have enough talent to come up with anything better.

This is just plain insulting. You've seen less than 5 minutes of actual footage, but have concluded that "everything" is "generic" and that everyone involved doesn't have talent?

These aren't good faith criticisms or invitations to reasoned discussion. It's name calling and trolling. 

22 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

Dude, there were like 3 lines of dialogue. Maybe wait until you see the entire first episode before dismissing it as "generic YA trash"? What's YA about the conversation?

This is just plain insulting. You've seen less than 5 minutes of actual footage, but have concluded that "everything" is "generic" and that everyone involved doesn't have talent?

These aren't good faith criticisms or invitations to reasoned discussion. It's name calling and trolling. 

Some just want to watch the world burn...

18 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Some just want to watch the world burn...

The actors are YA so thus every word out of their mouth is just dripping with YA. Get with the program. 

Remember when Rand said "I don't know actually, we haven't talked yet." Bro that's totally the most YA sentence ever uttered. And that ceremony they referenced that noone has actually seen in context.

Just.

The.

Worst.

Bargain Bin it now.

13 minutes ago, CaddySedai said:

The actors are YA so thus every word out of their mouth is just dripping with YA. Get with the program. 

Remember when Rand said "I don't know actually, we haven't talked yet." Bro that's totally the most YA sentence ever uttered. And that ceremony they referenced that noone has actually seen in context.

Just.

The.

Worst.

Bargain Bin it now.

Consider me chastened.

I might still like it though...

Edited by DojoToad