DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Winespring Inn

CaddySedai

So the design is gorgeous. But I wanted to highlight a few things.

First... the oil lamps.... SO bloody cool!

image.thumb.png.a1f8bec4050db7a6d0661201e0e77fff.png

They look right proper locally made (not ornate, just getting the job done from local pottery. 8 wicks to provide a ton of light and a nice little carry handle on top.

Look at that columnwork. Love it. Its what one would expect to see in stonebuilt taverns. You wouldn't do much in the way of carving into the stone walls so you use the pillars to add that flair.

image.thumb.png.18a3b0aaef72ddfa9483df616708c6e1.pngimage.thumb.png.6ccf9ba797fb603ad2191a2722f160ab.png

Finally, a shot of a great serpent ring in HD. So different...i truly hope when they make these they choose like...star cut stones so they look like they hold power in them!

image.thumb.png.228390f5ba13e6efbaf7e62a2d7e1815.png

Also look at these earrings. So detailed yet made clearly of a easily sourced material. Maybe wood or a resin.

image.png.ff1f467ace22e81e52c62ac979f26708.png

I do love the dual small fires in a large fireplace. I've been to some older buildings and this is exactly how they were used. Allows for multiple fires to provide heat as needed and even different use fires. One for heating, one for cooking or boiling - etc. 

image.thumb.png.c2baa5edeed7c41860a491bbb4a5eefa.png

Edited by CaddySedai

7 hours ago, CaddySedai said:

Great observations @CaddySedai.  But that handle on the lamp is only usable when not lit - or when wearing an oven mitt that reaches to the shoulder. ?  Of course a table lamp wouldn't be carried around normally.  I like the look of it too.

1 hour ago, DojoToad said:

Great observations @CaddySedai.  But that handle on the lamp is only usable when not lit - or when wearing an oven mitt that reaches to the shoulder. ?  Of course a table lamp wouldn't be carried around normally.  I like the look of it too.

Correct as a table lamp one likely only carries it around to refuel or clean. I wager they light them nightly and refill as needed. 

Same as Aladdin style lamps. Though they can be carried while lit this was not common practice. Oil lamps are filled with oil that can shoot out if sloshed around. 

Many people have not seen old style lamps in practice (its neat) where you are actually just laying a piece of string or twine into the “spout” and then lighting it as the oil reaches the top of said string. (operating similar to a wick). This design later gives way to adjustable wick oil lamps and then hurricane lamps (hot shot and later cold shot)

Since its still technically just a string sitting in a basin of oil you don’t normally carry it from A to B unless really necessary lol. 

There are more mobile versions. hehe

Edited by CaddySedai

I noticed the pillar detailing too.   One of the questions that I'd love to ask the production staff if I ever got the opportunity is: was there direction/notes from on high to incorporate elements into the inn's design that may have come from the inn being constructed on top of an earlier structure?   Mostly, because there are other places in the books where that is clearly the case and it shows a nice attention to detail.

12 hours ago, CaddySedai said:

They look right proper locally made (not ornate, just getting the job done from local pottery. 8 wicks to provide a ton of light and a nice little carry handle on top.

Look at that columnwork. Love it. Its what one would expect to see in stonebuilt taverns. You wouldn't do much in the way of carving into the stone walls so you use the pillars to add that flair.

image.thumb.png.18a3b0aaef72ddfa9483df616708c6e1.pngimage.thumb.png.6ccf9ba797fb603ad2191a2722f160ab.png

Finally, a shot of a great serpent ring in HD. So different...i truly hope when they make these they choose like...star cut stones so they look like they hold power in them!

image.thumb.png.228390f5ba13e6efbaf7e62a2d7e1815.png

Also look at these earrings. So detailed yet made clearly of a easily sourced material. Maybe wood or a resin.

image.png.ff1f467ace22e81e52c62ac979f26708.png

I do love the dual small fires in a large fireplace. I've been to some older buildings and this is exactly how they were used. Allows for multiple fires to provide heat as needed and even different use fires. One for heating, one for cooking or boiling - etc. 

image.thumb.png.c2baa5edeed7c41860a491bbb4a5eefa.png

While I agree on the setting being absolutely fabulous, I thought the entrance of L&M was over dramatized. Lan walks in and just stands there like a statue (dramatic pause) "Who are you stranger" ? slowly drops the cowl... 

Set and atmosphere A+

directing and characters C

Edited by templar7
my mistake on the accents

39 minutes ago, templar7 said:

While I agree on the setting being absolutely fabulous, I thought the entrance of L&M was over dramatized. Lan walks in and just stands there like a statue (dramatic pause) "Who are you stranger" ? slowly drops the cowl... 

I am of two-minds about that part myself.   I liked the structure of it.  It highlights aspects of being a warder, has a touch of him acting like a "herald announcing a lady" for her, and it gives some references to Rand's mystery of the black rider from the quarry road.  But, it does seem to go on a few frames longer than it needs to.  There's also a weird camera angle in one of the cuts that is very distracting to me.

39 minutes ago, templar7 said:

Set and atmosphere A+

directing and characters C

I really like the sequence when Moiraine picks out all the mains through her gaze.  There's a nice "tar valon witches" vibe to it.   

There are a few really well done character aspects too.   Rand almost looks like he is looking at the door before it opens.  He also looks to quick look out the window as he makes his way to stand at the wall.  Rand and Perrin both react to Lan's entrance the way tall guys do.  Mat has a much more relaxed and nonchalant posture when he is picked out by Moiraine's gaze.  

I wish they had highlighted Tam's reaction to Lan a little more though.

1 hour ago, TheDreadReader said:

I am of two-minds about that part myself.   I liked the structure of it.  It highlights aspects of being a warder, has a touch of him acting like a "herald announcing a lady" for her, and it gives some references to Rand's mystery of the black rider from the quarry road.  But, it does seem to go on a few frames longer than it needs to.  There's also a weird camera angle in one of the cuts that is very distracting to me.

I really like the sequence when Moiraine picks out all the mains through her gaze.  There's a nice "tar valon witches" vibe to it.   

There are a few really well done character aspects too.   Rand almost looks like he is looking at the door before it opens.  He also looks to quick look out the window as he makes his way to stand at the wall.  Rand and Perrin both react to Lan's entrance the way tall guys do.  Mat has a much more relaxed and nonchalant posture when he is picked out by Moiraine's gaze.  

I wish they had highlighted Tam's reaction to Lan a little more though.

Just watched it again and I'm even more impressed by the set and feel. Your comment about well done character aspects is spot on... I didnt even notice Tam until your reply.

Rand and Perrin look great and sound really natural. I like the look of Moiraine and Lan, I'm just unimpressed by their exposition... It came off cheesy and overplayed. the whole component of their entry, including Nynaeve. The dialogue felt clunky.

Having said that, you opened my eyes to some impressive aspects I didnt notice efore

3 minutes ago, Agitel said:

I get the cheesy comments, but I'd like to see it all in the context of the larger episode.

Right.  We won't know until we see it all in context.  That's why the teaser got ripped apart - what we saw left a lot of folks uncomfortable with certain aspects.  So far with the Winespring trailer, the only real stand out 'could have been better' moment was Lan's entrance - and that might even make better sense when seen in the episode.

Damn - still 5+ weeks to go.

7 hours ago, Agitel said:

I get the cheesy comments, but I'd like to see it all in the context of the larger episode.

I totally agree and thanks for making the point. I really should have closed with that. 2 minutes out of a 60 minute narrative is hard to judge.

2 hours ago, Brytac said:

Unrecognisable from the books.

100% Rand and Egwene will be having sex before you know it...because you know, the TV Show writers know best.

False.  It was very recognizable, just not what you (or I) was expecting.  Doesn't make it good or bad, just different.

Edited by DojoToad

• Community Administrator
19 minutes ago, JenniferL said:

I hate to break it to y’all, but you did see Rand and Egwene together in the teaser trailer? They are definitely fucking. 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e470cjpm8m3qibtbzf4q2

They were playing find the sheep in the shed!
Rand was giving her a green dress.

Playing Hide the sausage from the innkeeper.
Doin' the coplin nasty.