DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I'm Really Excited To See...

Guest Wolfbrother31

11 minutes ago, BlackTower1 said:

I'll be disappointed if they series doesn't start with the confrontation between Balzamon and Lews Therin at the beginning of EotW.  To me that scene sets the tone for the first book.  

It seems unlikely that they plan to start there based on what we (think we) know so far. I guess start setting your expectations now. 

Yeah, I dont think we will be seeing that for awhile. Maybe even season 2. From that 2 minute trailer.. I am getting the vibe gonna be a lot more Aes Sedai action this season, near the end of the season we might start learning about the Dragon. Season 2, the Lews Therin/Ishmael confrontation could come as a "memory".

Even could be a "dream" that the boys share. You don't see the face of the person, it would be like each of them are the one, the way they had dreams in book 1.

Edited by flinn

Guest Wolfbrother31

Yep. 

I think we'll see way more focus on the Aes Sedai & Moiraine & Logain's role expanded. 

Wouldn't be surprised if they make the audience believe Logain is the Dragon & he's insane. 

I don't think we're going to see any Forsaken in S1

3 hours ago, Wolfbrother31 said:

Yep. 

I think we'll see way more focus on the Aes Sedai & Moiraine & Logain's role expanded. 

Wouldn't be surprised if they make the audience believe Logain is the Dragon & he's insane. 

I don't think we're going to see any Forsaken in S1

Rafe said there would be a forsaken in s1, but you wouldnt know them as a forsaken unless you knew they were a forsaken. My guess is Ba'alzamon pretending to be the DO. We know it isnt really the DO and just Ishmael, but for viewers who havent read the book, they would probably think he was the DO.

Guest Wolfbrother31
2 hours ago, flinn said:

Rafe said there would be a forsaken in s1, but you wouldnt know them as a forsaken unless you knew they were a forsaken. My guess is Ba'alzamon pretending to be the DO. We know it isnt really the DO and just Ishmael, but for viewers who havent read the book, they would probably think he was the DO.

Rafe didn't say any of that...what he did say when asked if they're will be Forsaken in s1 is, "Depends on how much you know about the Forsaken."

And that is ... kind of like what you said ... So you might be right. 

But it could also just be a cryptic way of saying nothing. 

Or ... Perhaps we get a couple in the Eye but the audience isn't told who they are. It's hard to say from his answer...

Edited by Wolfbrother31

8 hours ago, Wolfbrother31 said:

Rafe didn't say any of that...what he did say when asked if they're will be Forsaken in s1 is, "Depends on how much you know about the Forsaken."

And that is ... kind of like what you said ... So you might be right. 

But it could also just be a cryptic way of saying nothing. 

Or ... Perhaps we get a couple in the Eye but the audience isn't told who they are. It's hard to say from his answer...

I dunno - seems pretty obvious he’s talking about Baz. At least, that’s by far the most likely interpretation. 

14 hours ago, Wolfbrother31 said:

Yep. 

I agree. And I’m fine with the show placing some more emphasis on the ladies and Logain. I actually welcome the Logain stuff. But I sure hope that’s all this - misdirection - and that eventually they pivot to the series revolving around Rand. I am concerned they’re going to get carried away with the w- word. 

Guest Wolfbrother31
On 9/7/2021 at 10:16 PM, Beidomon said:

I am concerned they’re going to get carried away with the w- word. 

Me too. 

But, I don't think we'll really know until season 2.

3 hours ago, CaddySedai said:

We should all at least let someone punch a Trolloc before we worry about season 2 lol. 

Is there a pool yet on first character to kill a trolloc on screen?

Gonna take a long shot here and say Perrin.  Perrin hears wolf voices warning of trolloc attack. Perrin runs outside goes into wolf rage attacking trollocs.  He kills layla, then drops his axe. Narg attacks Perrin and Perrin kills him with his bare hands.  Perrin runs screaming into night toward EF.

All of Perrin's story arc up to book 3 happens in one 2 minute shot.

Guest Wolfbrother31
4 hours ago, Guire said:

All of Perrin's story arc up to book 3 happens in one 2 minute shot.

I appreciate your sarcasm. But on the actual question - I think we'll still have Tam killing the first one. Hopefully!

I really hope Perrin doesn't kill his wife. Even by accident, that is just too heavy a note to start the show on. Realistically, that would drive any man insane/depressed for years and years. Either watching Perrin would become a huge bummer every time he is onscreen, or, if he 'gets over it' too quickly, it will make him seem inhuman. And if they just write it so that the tragedy 'fuels' his anger at the Dark One... seems like a cheap way out for a writing team. Would also make it feel kind of gross when he eventually hooks with Faile, since that can't be more than a season or two away.

I'm not sure where this theory even started. My gut says it is extremely unlikely. 

Having the trollocs or the fade kill her, I can live with that.

Do we even know for sure it is his wife? Could it be a sister? Or a portal stone wife?

That's one thing that concerns me about the writing team. They're largely composed of teams that move from project to project, parachuting in, quickly developing a plot, and jetting off to the next project. TV show writers tend to lean heavily on tropes as economical storytelling shortcuts and a focus on character-driven instead of plot-driven storytelling. Perrin's wife being fridged as motivation is exactly the sort of thing I'd expect from the average television show.

It is an Inescapable Law of the Universe, written in the very stars:

Quality of Show = (How much new material the Writers decide to invent or inject into the story) / (The writing skill of the Writers involved.)

In this case (and this is my biggest worry) they are rewriting or reinventing what seems like 20% to 40% of Book 1. And the Writer's Room, as #TheMoutain mentioned, is a ragtag team of mercenary paratroopers assembling Avengers-style to bang out Season 1 of the Wheel of Time... except they're not the Avengers. They're a half-dozen fairly young TV writers whom 99% of people have never heard of. That doesn't mean they're unskilled, unprepared, or not up to the task, it just means they have to Earn it. Obviously, when I say 20% to 40% is being retooled, that is a vague guess; could be more, could be less. I just hope they don't bite off more than they can chew. (Maybe I should send Rafe that formula?)

To me, it's like stripping away 30% of the Sistine chapel, then hiring a half-dozen different artists to come in and fill in the gaps. I'm not saying they can't or won't do a good job—sometimes younger writers are hungrier for the opportunity to show their stuff—it just makes me a bit nervous. Good writing does not grow on trees—sometimes it takes years to get right. (cough-GOT season8-cough)

..Josha showing the slow but certain decline of Rand's mental health and the change from innocent sheepherder to a tyrant. I can forgive almost anything else but if they screw that up.. I think Josha can handle it if the production team can.

Rand is my all time favorite fantasy character due to his incredible arc. Chef's kiss.

Lmao maybe its just the Cadsuane in me that is frustrated by him lol. 

I also however agree with your statement. Frustrating or not the end result is Dragon vs Dark One and to see him basically sidelined so much was a bit of a kick in the arse. 

10 minutes ago, CaddySedai said:

Lmao maybe its just the Cadsuane in me that is frustrated by him lol. 

I also however agree with your statement. Frustrating or not the end result is Dragon vs Dark One and to see him basically sidelined so much was a bit of a kick in the arse. 

I think it was part of Jordan's creation of so many amazing characters.  He got lost in world building. Then putting all the pieces in puzzle created some unnecessary bulk.  

Guest Wolfbrother31
7 hours ago, Guire said:

I think it was part of Jordan's creation of so many amazing characters.  He got lost in world building. Then putting all the pieces in puzzle created some unnecessary bulk.  

Which is why in this turning of the wheel we have the potential for an even better told story ... I think.

They just got to cut the fat and stick to the good stuff. The main stuff. Balefire the rest. 

7 hours ago, Wolfbrother31 said:

Which is why in this turning of the wheel we have the potential for an even better told story ... I think.

They just got to cut the fat and stick to the good stuff. The main stuff. Balefire the rest. 

I agree with what you are saying except for: 'this turning of the wheel'.

Several others have said it as well but it is confusing for me.  My interpretation of the phrase is that the TV show is a different turning than what we read in the books.  I don't understand how people get there.  This is the exact same turning, Age, or whatever that we read about with differences based on the translation from written to visual medium.  This is not a parallel or alternate version of the WoT story, but the exact same tale adapted for the small screen.  Any changes made are creative license and do not change the 'turning '.  Any more than changes in LotR movies were a different 'turning' than the books.  Differences in content for sure but not a different world... 

Am I not understanding what is meant by 'turning'?

Edited by DojoToad

Guest Wolfbrother31
2 hours ago, DojoToad said:

I agree with what you are saying except for: 'this turning of the wheel'.

Several others have said it as well but it is confusing for me.

The reason for that is that Brandon Sanderson when asked about the TV adaption said that what helps him not compare the TV show to the books/get over the changes ... Is to think of the show as "a new turning of the wheel". 

So when people are saying that (at least for myself) they are referencing Sanderson's interview.