DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I'm Really Excited To See...

Guest Wolfbrother31

• Community Administrator
6 minutes ago, thehumantrashcan said:

I would argue that the very nature of salt is hard and if it has fused with their feet it would be more akin to shoes.  If you still see them as socks...you may need to get new socks because they shouldn't be hard and crusty like salt.

You clearly do not have teenagers... Specifically boys.

6 hours ago, CaddySedai said:

Years at sea have infused salt in their feet. Salt is socks. Feet are socks. 

Your futile attempt to escape the sock is amusing. There is a reason its called "Weaving"

Accept your place in the drawer of life.

No weave, tapestry, pattern or sock can contain me.  The toad shall overcome!!

51 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

No weave, tapestry, pattern or sock can contain me.  The toad shall overcome!!

The Toad has accepted it lives in the great weave of the sock. Even as it struggles against its influence - as do the Forsaken. 

We are pleased by the affirmation. 

You may proceed. 

13 hours ago, CaddySedai said:

The Toad has accepted it lives in the great weave of the sock. Even as it struggles against its influence - as do the Forsaken. 

We are pleased by the affirmation. 

You may proceed. 

Why does the spinning of the great sock make so much sense to me. I grok it.

I was just watching a video with my wife of a  sheep herder homeless guy. As soon as he started pulling his stuff out of his little wagon I yelled "tinker".  That guy gets the weaving of the sock of time. 

1 hour ago, thehumantrashcan said:

So whose socks are you most excited to see?  Will we even see a sock in the show?  When was the last time you even noticed socks in a show?

Honestly Im interested in seeing what an ogier would consider a sock since their relationship with the Pattern is measured differently. Moraine is a close second, I bet we Aes Sedai wear some bangin socks.  

As far as the last time in a show? Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. Mix of tights and thigh/kneehighs throughout her various looks. 

I'm surprised more people aren't concerned about the sword-fighting in the show. It was such a huge part of the books and important for the development of multiple characters (especially Rand). Per Rafe, there is a weapons expert developing styles for the different cultures, which to me does not match the books at all. In WoT, the sword forms basically constitute an extremely widespread martial art, with very little variation from culture to culture, a relic of the Age of Legends. Even across the ocean in Seanchan, they use the same sword forms, just with minor variations and different names. I'm concerned that we're going to lose this really interesting and unique part of the books in favor of generic Hollywood slashing/twirling. I was so excited to see the sword forms of the books come to life (by developing moves that make sense but are also inspired by the names/descriptions in the books) and see this as a major missed opportunity. 

Edited by TheMountain

15 hours ago, TheMountain said:

I'm surprised more people aren't concerned about the sword-fighting in the show. It was such a huge part of the books and important for the development of multiple characters (especially Rand). Per Rafe, there is a weapons expert developing styles for the different cultures, which to me does not match the books at all. In WoT, the sword forms basically constitute an extremely widespread martial art, with very little variation from culture to culture, a relic of the Age of Legends. Even across the ocean in Seanchan, they use the same sword forms, just with minor variations and different names. I'm concerned that we're going to lose this really interesting and unique part of the books in favor of generic Hollywood slashing/twirling. I was so excited to see the sword forms of the books come to life (by developing moves that make sense but are also inspired by the names/descriptions in the books) and see this as a major missed opportunity. 

I thought there was a point in the books where they realize that different cultures had different names for the moves and implied that they were sometimes done slightly different in some cultures.  Can anyone confirm that?  I may need to look around online after I'm done with work.

58 minutes ago, thehumantrashcan said:

I thought there was a point in the books where they realize that different cultures had different names for the moves and implied that they were sometimes done slightly different in some cultures.  Can anyone confirm that?  I may need to look around online after I'm done with work.

They never explicitly name the forms in other cultures. There were differences in how they were performed. 

From the Wheel of Time Fandom Wiki:

Some, if not all, sword forms are taught in the Seanchan Empire. When Rand al'Thor battles Turak Aladon, Rand recognizes the forms that the High Lord used. They were different from what Rand was taught, but similar enough. It is possible the names might be different as well