DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I'm Really Excited To See...

Guest Wolfbrother31

What helps me cope is the fact, that WoT books won't work on TV without significant changes. Either change stuff or don't make it at all. I'm glad they chose to change and I'm sure (= I hope) the result will be much better than we think.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Edit. I should probably say that I don't care about the characters' height and shoulder width and if weapons look exactly like they should etc. small things

Edited by DaddyFinn

• Community Administrator
3 hours ago, DojoToad said:

Am I not understanding what is meant by 'turning'?

"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again."

Another turning is literally the same age just a different turn of the wheel.
RJ Described it as 

Oh, yes. I think of time in this world as fixed circular, but with a drifting variation. There are slight differences in the Pattern each time through so that if you thought of the Pattern as a tapestry and held up two successive weaves, you couldn't see any differences from a distance, only close up, but the more time turnings between tapestries, the more changes are apparent. But the basic Pattern always remains the same.
https://www.theoryland.com/intvsresults.php?kw=tapestry+

E.g. Same Rand, Same Egwene, different faces, slightly different personalities.

32 minutes ago, Wolfbrother31 said:

The reason for that is that Brandon Sanderson when asked about the TV adaption said that what helps him not compare the TV show to the books/get over the changes ... Is to think of the show as "a new turning of the wheel". 

So when people are saying that (at least for myself) they are referencing Sanderson's interview.

Wait, so Brandon started all this BS! ?

5 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

Another turning is literally the same age just a different turn of the wheel.
RJ Described it as 

E.g. Same Rand, Same Egwene, different faces, slightly different personalities.

Alright.  I think I understand better.  But guess I disagree.  I'm looking at it as the same turning, but maybe from a different perspective.

Like two people hearing the same response and one judges the speaker to be assertive and confident, while the other judges him to be an arrogant @$$h0le.  They both heard the same thing at the same time but had very different opinions.  I never took the transition from book to TV as age, memory, legend, myth thing...

Guest Wolfbrother31
9 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Like two people hearing the same response and one judges the speaker to be assertive and confident, while the other judges him to be an arrogant @$$h0le.  They both heard the same thing at the same time but had very different opinions.  I never took the transition from book to TV as age, memory, legend, myth thing...

You mean a wool-headed sheepherder.

I think BS just wanted fans to treat this WoT Tv adaption as its own thing - not as a one to one of the books. 

There's going to be a lot of changes...what remains to be seen is if the changes are good or not. 

6 minutes ago, Wolfbrother31 said:

You mean a wool-headed sheepherder.

I think BS just wanted fans to treat this WoT Tv adaption as its own thing - not as a one to one of the books. 

There's going to be a lot of changes...what remains to be seen is if the changes are good or not. 

Or a bloody, goat-kissing...

Yes, I never expected one-to-one but it seems many people do.  And if imaging the show as a different turning helps them cope with change than that is okay.  Either way - we're only 64-odd days away...

Edited by DojoToad

Guest Wolfbrother31
3 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Or a bloody, goat-kissing...

Yes, I never expected one-to-one but it seems many people do.  And if imaging the show as a different turning helps them cope with change than that is okay.  Either way - we're only 64-odd days away...

And will hopefully get another trailer and a bunch more content before that! 

2 hours ago, DojoToad said:

Either way - we're only 64-odd days away...

Oh man.  You just made it real for me.  I hadn't started the count down yet.  Yes!!!!  I am looking forward to the reveal the Tam is a bad ass at the farm when the Trollacs attack.  I do wonder if they just move the attack as a whole to the town to save time and an additional tv set and skip the Al' Thor farm altogether.

I know a lot of the fandom seems convinced that they're going to cut the farm but I'm not.   Conceptually, a few of the shots from the teaser map pretty well to moments in that sequence of events.  

From a screen time perspective, the attack doesn't have to take a lot of shots to set up and establish.  For example, Inside the farmhouse, Trollocs knocking at the door, getting the sword, fighting/running, Rand carrying Tam back to the village.   That can be done with only a few minutes of actual screen time that can be interspersed with scenes from fighting in the village.

Rafe's answer about knowing the impact of your changes from a q&a seems important here.  After the battle, when Moiraine is convincing the boys to leave, she highlights that each of their homes were specifically targeted.  Our having seen the farmhouse scenes help us the reader/viewer accept the rationale for them leaving.

(Adding)

That's different from say changing the location where Rand and Min meet for the first time.  The importance of them meeting is really just that they meet.  It can happen at Fal Dara, Tar Valon, or any random inn along the way.   The important information in that encounter is really just that Min has gifts and that she's excited and nervous about meeting him while trying to figure out the best way to get into his pants.

Edited by TheDreadReader

The flashbacks to the Age of Legends and the old kingdom of Menetheren and really all the stories of old kingdoms that get told to the characters for one reason or another.

I need that in my life. All the flashbacks! Even if it´ s not actors playing in them, say the Tale of the Three Brothers from Harry Potter. I just want to see it and hear it so bad.

Also pretty much anything else in the story of course, but the history of the world, the legends they have, I want to see them acted out, animated, whatever way they choose to do it, I just hope they do it.

• Community Administrator
51 minutes ago, CaddySedai said:

Even if it was done with puppets?

Now I need Mat performing the History of AoL with sock puppets, to pay for food and lodging when he travels with Rand.

Thanks Caddy.

6 hours ago, DojoToad said:

You all enjoy, I'll skip the socks.

But don’t you see, you are a sock. 

They are socks. 

All are socks. 

The Dryer Barrel turns, and cycles come and pass. Splitting pairs that become single socks. Single socks fade becoming threadbare. And even threadbare socks are long forgotten by the time the other half shows up again.  

8 hours ago, DojoToad said:

The Sea Folk don’t wear socks - you aren’t being inclusive…

?

Years at sea have infused salt in their feet. Salt is socks. Feet are socks. 

Your futile attempt to escape the sock is amusing. There is a reason its called "Weaving"

Accept your place in the drawer of life.

2 hours ago, CaddySedai said:

Years at sea have infused salt in their feet. Salt is socks. Feet are socks. 

Your futile attempt to escape the sock is amusing. There is a reason its called "Weaving"

Accept your place in the drawer of life.

I would argue that the very nature of salt is hard and if it has fused with their feet it would be more akin to shoes.  If you still see them as socks...you may need to get new socks because they shouldn't be hard and crusty like salt.

Edited by thehumantrashcan
Spelling