DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Series schedule... binge ready, or weekly released episodes?

templar7

After a friendly debate with my co-host on our own StarWars podcast (www.kyberclub.com). I vehemently supported and defended the new, fan friendly, streaming era of small screen shows. Access to the whole season upon release is the best way to please the fans that can't wait, the ones who prefer to wait 7 days between (whoever they are), and generate interest from casual watchers who may just say to themselves "I'll check out episode 1, see what its like".  The latter being more likely to watch episode 2 if it's available right away as opposed to "Ya I watched the first one, kinda lost interest."

Is there any information on how this will be released, and what are your thoughts?

Afaik there's no info on it yet, while Amazon has published series previously in binge-style. 

I'd prefer the weekly episodes, because of the hype it's able to build and it is easier (and more lucrative) to content creators who get to do more content that is valid for longer time for viewers. 

4 hours ago, Polskija said:

I'd prefer the weekly episodes, because of the hype it's able to build and it is easier (and more lucrative) to content creators who get to do more content that is valid for longer time for viewers. 

Yep I agree with this. One can always binge watch it the 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) time round.

• Community Administrator

I've heard rumors that Amazon is experimenting with weekly releases. 
https://qz.com/146949/why-amazon-bucking-the-netflix-strategy-wont-release-its-original-series-all-at-once/

Instead of debuting an entire season’s worth of episodes at once, Amazon will make the first three episodes of each series available for free to anyone with an Amazon account via Amazon Instant Video

After that, one new episode will debut each week, exclusively to Amazon Prime subscribers via Prime Instant Video.

Personally, from a social-water cooler standpoint, I'd love for this to be released weekly.

It'll give DM at least 12 weeks of solid activity. :wink:

Edited by SinisterDeath

Releasing an entire season of a show all at once almost feels like cheating.  I know that's just my years of TV watching conditioning talking.  But honestly, it does feel better that way.  A week to digest the episode and water cooler talk with various people you don't see on the daily.  Plus it eats up time on the way to the next season.  

I mean, if the producers came to me and asked if I personally wanted the whole season up front...not gonna lie, I'd go for it.  But that's the greedy "Gotta have it now!" side that will have taken over.  

In this era of instant gratification I'm very curious how many / what percentage of the overall audience (or public in general) actually have the attention span to wait a week for the episodes.   

I am speaking in light of the fact that to this point, Amazon series are expected by everyone to be available as full seasons at the release.  We're all aware of GoT's popularity, and it was released weekly.  However, the public expected this from that medium/source, whereas it isn't expected from Amazon.

As a die hard fan of the book series, I'd wait only if I was forced to.  While I definitely like the idea of having a week to digest and discuss what occurred in episode 'X', I don't have other known fans around me (in person) to have anyone to talk to about them.  Dragonmount is my only option, and typing/waiting for a reply isn't the same as being able to speak and listen.

For viewers that aren't familiar with WoT, I suspect they'd lose interest if each and every episode isn't utterly amazing.  I mean, there is figuratively an infinite amount of choices that people have to spend their time on. 

One other point, I have (somewhat to my own shame) on more than one occasion continued to watch bad/crap series simply because it was available as a full season.  Conversely, I have always 'binge watched' a good series simply because it was available; there was no chance that when time permitted I'd stop to simply savor the ride.

On 9/25/2019 at 12:44 PM, 2RiversFan said:

For viewers that aren't familiar with WoT, I suspect they'd lose interest if each and every episode isn't utterly amazing.

Being that they have to cover almost 800 pages in roughly 8 episodes, I don't doubt that each episode will be an awesome experience.  If they were doing 22 episode seasons, then I'd worry.  

2 hours ago, JJLXL said:

Being that they have to cover almost 800 pages in roughly 8 episodes, I don't doubt that each episode will be an awesome experience.  If they were doing 22 episode seasons, then I'd worry.  

I agree. I have to say I'm i bit concerned about attention to set and character detail. It seems the cast was finalized very close to the start of filming. If the cast in the group photo from Twitter is up to date with the start of filming... If so, Perrin and Rand needed 12 to 16 weeks in the gym at least. I understand that the actor comes first, but come on... Perrin should be a beast!

On 9/27/2019 at 8:50 AM, templar7 said:

Perrin and Rand needed 12 to 16 weeks in the gym at least. I understand that the actor comes first, but come on... Perrin should be a beast!

There's a difference between being strong and being a bodybuilder. There is no gyms in Randland, nor do we see Perrin having 7 meals a day and pumping iron 24/7.  So, strong yes, but any sort of bodybuilder mass would have worn off at the latest after they leave Two rivers and a blacksmith don't need that kind of muscles, only the ones he works with. 

On 9/26/2019 at 1:00 PM, mactwist2 said:

They  should release a few at first so people could decide if they want to stay with it then do weekly from there.    

I really like this idea.  I think this is what Hulu has done lately for a few of their original content shows.  A different platform, I know, but it's not unheard of for streaming services.  It works well for getting people involved, so they are more likely to return, in my opinion, but also gives weekly releases for the rest of the shows, giving the time for hype, discussion, etc.

I'd be fine either way, because of course I'm just looking to watch it!  I do hope, though, if Amazon decides to do it weekly that they try it with other shows first and not have WoT be the guinea pig, so to speak.  I think with the comparisons (already) to GoT, and the "usual" Amazon way of releasing the entire season at once that changing it may actually hurt the show.  

On 9/29/2019 at 12:17 PM, Polskija said:

There's a difference between being strong and being a bodybuilder. There is no gyms in Randland, nor do we see Perrin having 7 meals a day and pumping iron 24/7.  So, strong yes, but any sort of bodybuilder mass would have worn off at the latest after they leave Two rivers and a blacksmith don't need that kind of muscles, only the ones he works with. 

I didn't suggest anyone aught to appear as a bodybuilder, that would look ridiculous. What I said was "Perrin should be a beast!" My reference to Perrin and Rand hitting the gym was the fact, that of the entire cast so far, Perrin and Rand are the furthest (physically) from the source material. Perrin is constantly described as not just strong, but a big man, bigger than most. With huge shoulders and arms; traits you would develop in a forge. In fact the books describe Perrin as being bigger than most from a young age. What I'm getting at is that his big stature is a natural feature, cross that with his profession.... I maintain, Perrin is too small.

6 hours ago, templar7 said:

I didn't suggest anyone aught to appear as a bodybuilder, that would look ridiculous. What I said was "Perrin should be a beast!" My reference to Perrin and Rand hitting the gym was the fact, that of the entire cast so far, Perrin and Rand are the furthest (physically) from the source material. Perrin is constantly described as not just strong, but a big man, bigger than most. With huge shoulders and arms; traits you would develop in a forge. In fact the books describe Perrin as being bigger than most from a young age. What I'm getting at is that his big stature is a natural feature, cross that with his profession.... I maintain, Perrin is too small.

Agree 100% he is always described as huge, his axe would take a big, strong man to wield it. Blacksmiths were/are strong...you would have to be. It's like not trusting a skinny innkeeper, you can't trust a bonerack blacksmith...

15 hours ago, templar7 said:

How? Perrin is a big, muscly guy with wolfish looks. And Rand is a tall, lanky dude with nordic looks. They fit perfectly. 

The recent video of Marcus, the actor playing Perrin, shows him with shoulders as wide as I'd expect on any young actor taking on the role. 

Edited by Carebear Sedai

8 hours ago, Carebear Sedai said:

How? Perrin is a big, muscly guy with wolfish looks. And Rand is a tall, lanky dude with nordic looks. They fit perfectly. 

The recent video of Marcus, the actor playing Perrin, shows him with shoulders as wide as I'd expect on any young actor taking on the role. 

Rand is not lanky. Mat is lanky. Rand is never described like that. He’s broad shouldered and got a quite a built physique, he’s just a little more slender than Perrin.

8 hours ago, MasterAblar said:

Rand is not lanky. Mat is lanky. Rand is never described like that. He’s broad shouldered and got a quite a built physique, he’s just a little more slender than Perrin.

Sure, and that describes Josha Stradowski perfectly well. Tall, muscular built, slenderer than Perrin but fairly broader than Mat. There's nothing about him that doesn't fit Rand if we're going by realistic standards and not cartoonish ones.