DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Avengers Infinity War

2RiversFan

Saw it tonight...

No spoilers, except both Superman and Wonderwoman die.  Aquaman can no longer breathe underwater.  Oh wait, that's the wrong universe...

Honestly, I was disappointed.  They did everything they could possibly do to make it EPIC<!!!> , and it was, but I was still disappointed.  I will discuss after others have had the chance to see it. Until then - 

Saw it. 

Liked it.

Details in spoiler (yes, there are spoilers)

It was, without a doubt, the best Avengers ensamble movie. I think that the writing and production of the MCU films has come a long way since the first Ironman movies. My only real complaint was with Dr. Strange who I believe was just type cast and they told Benderdict Cucumberbach to act like a haughty British professor, which he pulled off perfectly.

Also, I'm getting kind of annoyed with Tony Stark as a character, but I guess that's the point?

As for the movie I thought it was very well paced, with only a few scenes which "lagged" and they were mainly expositional or character related - specifically the Gamora/Thanos scenes. I understood Thanos' actions more than Gamoras, and really that's the main part of the movie which struggled for me.  I also didn't understand Dr. Strange giving up the time stone, unless he saw that was part of how to defeat Thanos.

Quick rant re: Thanos. So his entire motivation is that his idlyic homeword was overpopulated, and he had to kill roughly half the people on the planet to make it livable again? This only (kind of) worked, which forced him down the path of "killing half the universe." For a movie villian backstory/motivation it's actually pretty good.

There were some production goofs, and I didn't understand/get the entire battle for wakanda; it didn't make any tactical sense to me. The [unlimited number of faceless bad guys] vs [good guys who can't die] troup is a bit over worked. 

Once the battle revolted around Vision, things got ... better ... meaning more real.

Lastly, I'm curious as to where the MCU goes from here, and what will happen in the next avengers movie. My theory is that somehow the good guys will get the gaunlet, remove the stones, and do a timey-windy-unwindy-thing to bring everyone back to life? 

[\spoiler]

Edited by Tyzack

58 minutes ago, Tyzack said:

Saw it. 

Liked it.

Details in spoiler (yes, there are spoilers)

Hide contents

It was, without a doubt, the best Avengers ensamble movie. I think that the writing and production of the MCU films has come a long way since the first Ironman movies. My only real complaint was with Dr. Strange who I believe was just type cast and they told Benderdict Cucumberbach to act like a haughty British professor, which he pulled off perfectly.

Also, I'm getting kind of annoyed with Tony Stark as a character, but I guess that's the point?

As for the movie I thought it was very well paced, with only a few scenes which "lagged" and they were mainly expositional or character related - specifically the Gamora/Thanos scenes. I understood Thanos' actions more than Gamoras, and really that's the main part of the movie which struggled for me.  I also didn't understand Dr. Strange giving up the time stone, unless he saw that was part of how to defeat Thanos.

Quick rant re: Thanos. So his entire motivation is that his idlyic homeword was overpopulated, and he had to kill roughly half the people on the planet to make it livable again? This only (kind of) worked, which forced him down the path of "killing half the universe." For a movie villian backstory/motivation it's actually pretty good.

There were some production goofs, and I didn't understand/get the entire battle for wakanda; it didn't make any tactical sense to me. The [unlimited number of faceless bad guys] vs [good guys who can't die] troup is a bit over worked. 

Once the battle revolted around Vision, things got ... better ... meaning more real.

Lastly, I'm curious as to where the MCU goes from here, and what will happen in the next avengers movie. My theory is that somehow the good guys will get the gaunlet, remove the stones, and do a timey-windy-unwindy-thing to bring everyone back to life? 

[\spoiler]

I agree with your assessments, it's almost exactly what I would have written, with a few differences:
"My only real complaint was with Dr. Strange who I believe was just type cast"
  - Not only Dr Strange.  Peter Quill was trying waaaay too hard to be funny.  In GotG, his humor/dialogue/jokes came more naturally.  They were way too forced in Infinity War.

- The back story on Thanos was absolutely needed, imo.  I've never read any of the comics.  Didn't have any idea what he was about except from previous movies, so his actual love for Gamora was a surprise and required info for 90ish% of the audience.  You called it laggy exposition, but for me it was like, "are you serious? that is very interesting (in a bad way) news".

"My theory is that somehow the good guys will get the gaunlet, remove the stones, and do a timey-windy-unwindy-thing to bring everyone back to life? "

- My 11 yr old daughter mentioned that after the movie even before we got back to the car and before I could say it.  It was telegrammed in the movie.  Dr Strange did say there was only 1 in 4.(something) billion possible future paths that the Avengers/good guys would win, and then later when Stark asked Strange why he gave up the time stone, he said it was the only way - Stark must survive.
So it is highly likely that Stark figures something out and between Banner, Thor and those few others that survived has the ability to get their hands on the time stone to bring them all back.  

Those or some similar scenario must occur.  I mean, I can't believe that MCU will give up on Black Panther after just one feature film that broke box office records, or even on Gaurdians of the Galaxy, which did quite well also even without breaking records... How many others died as well?  Are they seriously throwing away so much of their revenue generating characters?  No chance of that.

The final difference between your review and what I (and even more, my daughter) felt was the disappointment of Thor not winning in that climactic scene after he had lost EVERYTHING, and still fought and overcame the immense hurdles...  

Edited by 2RiversFan
clarification

2 hours ago, 2RiversFan said:
  Hide contents

The final difference between your review and what I (and even more, my daughter) felt was the disappointment of Thor not winning in that climactic scene after he had lost EVERYTHING, and still fought and overcame the immense hurdles...  

Meh, Thor tried and failed, which is fine for him. When has he ever won on his first try. That axe (and therefore thor) clearly will be somehow important in the resolution of it all. 

• Community Administrator
43 minutes ago, Tyzack said:

Hide contents

Meh, Thor tried and failed, which is fine for him. When has he ever won on his first try. That axe (and therefore thor) clearly will be somehow important in the resolution of it all. 

There is definitely some symbology going on with Groot & Thor's axe when you consider what Groot might symbolise in Norse Mythology.

Yggdrasill.

In Norse Mythology, after Ragnarok, Humans survived by hiding within the tree of life.

Saw it. Loved it. Dennis many theories that all the ashed people are locked in the soul stone and it is through destroying it or using it that people will be returned.

Dr. Strange definitely decided that giving the time stone to Thanos was required to achieve final victory. 

Biggest missed opportunity to me was in battle of Titan when they were trying to take gauntlet off Thanos, why not cut it off ala LotR? Or even kill him? He isn't omnipotent.

Wakanda battle strategy fail by Thor. He is sooooo OP he should have done nothing other than destroying the spaceships, main baddies or babysit Vision. 

Captain Marvel gonna come and whoop up on everyone

it was all just to set the stage for captain marvel. everything Strange did allowed for it. if he hadn't given the stone away, Nick Fury would never have sent that page

I just got home from watching it, and I liked it, especially

the character development and motivation behind Thanos. It made him a better character instead of just a villain who is bad because he's bad or simply power-hungry. This dude thought he was doing the right thing.

Enjoyed the movie.

Completely agree there’s no way Marvel is giving up on future revenues by killing off Spidey, Black Panther, Doctor Strange, etc. The theory that they’re locked into the soul stone is interesting - but yeah, I’ve already assumed somehow, someway they are going to reverse it and everyone comes back that died in the ‘snap’. I do think some characters will die permanently, though, before the reversal in the next addition. It’s more speculation based on MCU contracts but there’s some canon backing to allow for Captain or Ironman to die and their namesake to continue.

Thor is becoming a real BA. I’ve really enjoyed his character and others’ banter in Ragnarok (with Hulk) and now IW with Starlord.

My son’s favorite part was when Spidey got his new upgraded suit (he’s five and SM is his favorite lol)

Meh.

1. Tom Holland is the best Spiderman

2. Thor is now the most interesting and entertaining character in the movie Universe followed by (potentially) Hulk.

3. Thanos is the most understandably motivated villain and because of this I actually wish the Avengers wouldn't try to reverse anything.

For me this movie didn't feel very "epic."  Due to the size and scope of every superhero movie, especially the Avengers set, I think it must be really difficult to achieve an epic blockbuster these days.  I think this is due to several factors: time constraints, overabundance of characters, the continued failure at making the battle scenes with the faceless masses interesting or weighty, and the overall lack of gravity. 

Thanos has heft.  That part was well done.  Everything else felt flimsy.  Loki was a throwaway.  We know Marvel wouldn't toss out their brand new franchises like that, so we know they all survive and come back.  We've had Cap'n's backup in play for a while now.  Black Widow is (unfortunately) a secondary character.  Tony Stark is played out like the Jerry Curl.  Only Hulk and Thor have anything left in the tank (if the producers and actors want it).  When we know all this there's no emotion, no gravity to be found in the film.  At this point, 18 movies in, it's severely lacking and holding the arc back imo. 

I have Marvel fatigue and tbh the only movies worth their salt imo are Thor 3, Guardians 1, Winter Soldier, and I'll throw in Spiderman (although he suffers from having 2 other iterations before him).  The rest I would toss aside.  If  I pay money to see any marvel movies in the future I will be very selective about which ones and who are directing them. 

On 5/2/2018 at 4:24 AM, SinisterDeath said:

Reveal hidden contents

There is definitely some symbology going on with Groot & Thor's axe when you consider what Groot might symbolise in Norse Mythology.

Yggdrasill.

In Norse Mythology, after Ragnarok, Humans survived by hiding within the tree of life.

Oh, that's exciting.