DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Tainted Minds - A Black Tower Mafia Game: Game over - Town wins

Andrej

75% is 75% (fmpov). that's the rand percentage. it's an open set-up.

even if it were closed, that ratio is still typically in the high 60s to mid 70s in the vast majority of games. if you are a villager, the majority of other players are also villagers. the game is literally about an informed minority vs an uninformed majority.

how that taints my reads as a concept baffles me. 

You should just ignore the 75% is what I'm trying to say.

Everyone should start at 0 and as the game goes on they fall or rise however they may.

It's how I do things. Maybe I shouldn't try to force that on you though, you seem successful enough doing your own thing.

Just forget it. :P

Nolder, you lack imagination. Everyone still start at null in my book, since I get to define what "null" means. 

This is completely irrelevant to the game in any way, but fwiw, 75% is 0 - since you can't really "go into the negatives".  Cory saying somebody is 76% likely to be town isn't a super good thing; it means they're barely above the rand.  It would be equivalent to a 1 or 2, I guess, if you're doing it that way.

Unless you really are saying you shouldn't trust anyone and should be prepared to kill everyone, in which case lolred

I skimmed Clov´s posts. I can still see a possible connection between Clov and Ben. 

Does Clov usually post this much when he is mafia? 

More or less.  I died D4 as mafia in Key's 90's music with 310 posts (and was barely around).  I was, I believe, fifth in post count at the time.  Cory ran Mario Karts Wii, and I survived until endgame (D2) as scum; I was third and had 365 posts.  In my more recent offsite games, I finished an 8 player game third with 170 (BFG was town and finished second with 190) and did terrible, terrible things in a multi-factional game where I finished 2nd (to my scum partner) with 400.  

My post count is tied solely to my availability, not my alignment.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Through 20:

BFG

LedZep

Sooh

Nolder

Clov

Leyrann

Niniel

SK

DarJen

Iron

dice

Ben

from what I remember, assuming I wasnt being a total idiot, I would guess Niniel and Iron are going to go up on this list

my last list @ Niniel

Okay. Good to know. Nothing has changed since? 

DJSooh

LZM

Niniel

Ugh trying to order a list and ???

No real read on Nolder, dice or Ley, I ~like what Marsh posted but need more, I think sk could be town, but it's one of the hardest reads I've ever made, I'm not sensing any agony in Corys game yet, you're you and Ben is fluffy. Cory actually summed up my thoughts on Ben quite well :dry:

Okay. I'm with you on a lot of that and have already said what I have to say about Ben/SK. Please explain LZM to me, because you're the third person I'm at least remotely comfortable with who has said he's a townread and I don't understand what the hell I'm missing.

And it doesn't bother you that corys read on you initially was 'town because you're making the reads you'd make as town?' Or words to that affect?

If that's what he had said, absolutely. But it wasn't.

Cory can you talk through your read on Chris? :unsure:

I think he'd be making the reads he's made as a villager, liked some of his back and forth with me earlier, no issue with any of his content

Admittedly doesn't mean much

Prior to that, he said maybe I'm town. Do I think that read is completely unique to his town game, and he would have said something vastly different as mafia? No, he's a good player and knows what to say as scum. Do I think that read is completely unique to his mafia game, and he would have said something vastly different as town? No, he's a good player and knows what he would say as town so he knows what to say as scum.

I would have been concerned if he had come in and declared me the towniest person in the game and was looking to get everyone to follow my lead. I would have been equally concerned if he had come in, decided I was obvious scum, and prepared to thunderdome me (side note: I would have accepted, and I would have swiftly ripped his spine out and beat him with it.)

There was an incredibly small amount of concern when he promptly said me expecting more from him is more likely to come from me as scum because it was such a quick, sudden change. That being said, I have no problem with him taking a step back and re-evaluating me and essentially giving me room to evaluate him as the phase went on.

I would back you in that he hasn't done anything he couldn't do as scum, but...has he done anything he wouldn't do as town? Has he done anything overtly and directly scummy? For me, no and no. And I'm not going to push a strong player on D1 for what boils down to "not being out of their scum range" when their scum range is more or less anything. He might not be at the top of my townlist, but he's sure as hell not as the bottom.

Cory can you talk through your read on Chris? :unsure:

I think he'd be making the reads he's made as a villager, liked some of his back and forth with me earlier, no issue with any of his content

Admittedly doesn't mean much

]

Can I just say, dang. That was well written. Just checking in before I go to my group project meeting. I'll be in before the deadline most likely.

75% is 75% (fmpov). that's the rand percentage. it's an open set-up.

even if it were closed, that ratio is still typically in the high 60s to mid 70s in the vast majority of games. if you are a villager, the majority of other players are also villagers. the game is literally about an informed minority vs an uninformed majority.

how that taints my reads as a concept baffles me. 

You should just ignore the 75% is what I'm trying to say.

Everyone should start at 0 and as the game goes on they fall or rise however they may.

It's how I do things. Maybe I shouldn't try to force that on you though, you seem successful enough doing your own thing.

Just forget it. :P

Nolder, you lack imagination. Everyone still start at null in my book, since I get to define what "null" means. 

This is completely irrelevant to the game in any way, but fwiw, 75% is 0 - since you can't really "go into the negatives".  Cory saying somebody is 76% likely to be town isn't a super good thing; it means they're barely above the rand.  It would be equivalent to a 1 or 2, I guess, if you're doing it that way.

Unless you really are saying you shouldn't trust anyone and should be prepared to kill everyone, in which case lolred

In the rare games that I take notes everyone starts at 0. If I like something they say or do they get +1, if I dislike something they say or do they get -1,

-5 is about the number I go after someone hard.

If you are curious Nolder, when I take notes typically it's +3 where they go into light green, +7 where they go into dark green, and +10 they go to blue

for mafia reads it's -3 to orange and -5 to red

I achieved those specific numbers after years and years of tuning. Or I just made them up one day. Can't remember which

I'm not sensing any agony in Corys game yet

If agony is a towntell for me in your book, you need to update the book. :P

I have my moments, but I've managed to say ~relatively sane my last handful of village games.

Maybe better to say that you are far more comfortable with things than I am and normally (albeit from what, almost a year ago) it was generally the other way round :unsure:

Okay. Good to know. Nothing has changed since? 

I remember reading a bunch of posts by you I liked yesterday, but I'm not atp in the thread yet :P

Other than that, liked a lot of Iron's posts today. That's all I can think of ATM

Okay. Looking forward to read more from you tomorrow. 

If you are curious Nolder, when I take notes typically it's +3 where they go into light green, +7 where they go into dark green, and +10 they go to blue

for mafia reads it's -3 to orange and -5 to red

I achieved those specific numbers after years and years of tuning. Or I just made them up one day. Can't remember which

You probably weight them appropriately. It more or less matches my numbers when they are accurate without weight.

I'm not sensing any agony in Corys game yet

If agony is a towntell for me in your book, you need to update the book. :P

I have my moments, but I've managed to say ~relatively sane my last handful of village games.

Maybe better to say that you are far more comfortable with things than I am and normally (albeit from what, almost a year ago) it was generally the other way round :unsure:

I stole your British stoicism while you weren't looking. I'll send my ransom request post-game

@Chris regarding LZM it's partly the stuff I was trying to explain earlier, partly feeling worse about other people, partly other stuff I'll explain later

Regarding Cory 'not being out of scum range doesn't make him mafia' is exactly what I said earlier. But the rest doesn't change much. Although I suspect I'll be better shelving this discussion for now :/

@Chris regarding LZM it's partly the stuff I was trying to explain earlier, partly feeling worse about other people, partly other stuff I'll explain later

Regarding Cory 'not being out of scum range doesn't make him mafia' is exactly what I said earlier. But the rest doesn't change much. Although I suspect I'll be better shelving this discussion for now :/

Then I don't know what you were trying to suggest.  I'm not treating him as confirmed town - I would have to be an idiot to do that.  I don't have him as one of my top townies - I don't think he's earned that.  But I don't think he should be someone that's getting a lot of negative attention, either.

Do you think my assessment of that read is wrong?

@Chris

:dry: I am having a very hard time articulating even to myself what my reads are on you or Cory, which is one of the biggest reasons I think it may just be paranoia, but since I assume you're not lynching me and I don't want to lynch you or Cory I feel time is better spent on the others :unsure:

Hopefully Ben flips scum and this becomes moot :unsure:

If you ignored me talking about him completely [because it seems me thinking he's a wolf has somehow made you feel like he's more likely to be a villager, which I do not understand but I do accept] and just assessed his content, how do you feel about Ben?