DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Elayne, Min, Aviendha equal or not?

gaishain

Which is the couple you love most? I left out Rand and his gals on purpose. Sorry if I've forgotten your favorite couple.  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the couple you love most? I left out Rand and his gals on purpose. Sorry if I've forgotten your favorite couple.

• Egwene + Gawn
    • Faile + Perrin
    • Ilyena + Lews Therin
    • Lanfear + Lews Therin
    • Morgase + Tallanvor
    • Nynaeve + Lan
    • Siuan + Gareth Bryne
    • Tuon + Mat

Do you feel that the relationship between Rand and his three women are equal? Are they all treated the same? I personally do not think so. I do not understand why it seems that Min is his favorite. He keeps her close by and acts like he NEEDS her so much more than the others. I understand that her viewings are an advantage to him but it just seems that she is favored. For example Rand was able to send Aviendha away from him but not Min? I guess I do not like Min as much as I like the other two girls. Why? One reason would be that when Rand and Elayne were "together" for the first time and Min and Aviendha were off getting drunk to numb the sensation of Rand and Elayne Min was thinking about how it is all fun and games to think about how they would share Rand but then she thought "who is really going to marry him". Even though it was her viewing that told them that they would all love Rand, how can she even consider that she will be alone with him? Plus the other two girls are much closer with each other than they are with Min. My feelings towards Min is like she is "the other women". Anyone else feel this way? When will it be Elayne and Aviendha's time?

I personaly likes Min the most (I can't exactly point out the reason)....

As for why Rand keeps her close isn't that quite an misinterpretation?

I meen, she keeps close to him, hasn't he even threatend to send her away?

As for Aviendha she was sent away from him by the wise ones and Elayne has her own work in Caemlyn.

Elayne probably wouldn't even accept him i Andor as that would make her seem to be his puppet ruler....

I understand your reasoning about Elayne. Rand has threatened to send her away but he always says in his own mind that he is too weak. I just do not understand why is he weaker in his love for Min but not the others. Thanks for your post though. I get what you are saying.

Guest cwestervelt

I think its just do to the fact that he was hurt quite badly when Elayne and Aviendha left, and that occurred when he didn't even know what they really thought of him. He's not strong enough to send Min away because he doesn't want to go throught the loss again.

Guest Egwene

I voted for Min. Not because I like her most, but because I like her most for Rand.

Rand and his Ladies is like many guys love life but in a simultanous instead of linear timeframe. Elayne is the teenage adulation type involvement, Aviendha the early twenties 'lust' relationship and Min is the later years 'soulmates' relationship. Obviously they don't neccessarily happen in that order... but it's the best way I can think of to describe what I mean.

Which is why I believe the set-up will change. Elayne will become Queen of Andor, Aviendha a Wise One and Rand is going to go off to travel the world with Min by his side and the blessing of the other two.

Which is why I believe the set-up will change. Elayne will become Queen of Andor' date=' Aviendha a Wise One and Rand is going to go off to travel the world with Min by his side and the blessing of the other two.[/quote']

A very interesting idea. I haven't thought about that.

You also pointed a difference between Min and the others. Elayne is to be queen and Aviendha a Wise One. That means both of them will have certain duties, meaning that they cannot allways take the time for Rand. Same goes for Rand, he's got his own duties. Min however will not become a ruler, Wise One or anything like that (that we know of) so she'll probably spend much more time with Rand than the other two (which she does). Perhaps RJ have constucted three different types of relationships, Min and Rand having one where they are (in a way) closer to each other than Rand and the other two will be. And still equal, in different ways?

Remember, Elayne is an Aes Sedai, Avienda is (becoming) a Wise One.

Even if Rand loves them all equally, he's still quite paranoid about the AS and WO's trying to use him for their own purposes.

Even if Elayne and Avienda won't take advantage of their relationship with Rand, they are in the company of those who might.

Min has no other commitments. She's only dedicated to him.

If I were Rand I'll sure as hell feel a bit more comfortable aroud Min.

I like Min the least of Rand's trio, because she's so manipulative and I don't think she's ready to share him the same way Elayne and Aviendha are. But then, Elayne and Aviendha are my favourite characters, so that may be a biased opinions. :D

Has any of you considered that if Rand lives through Tarmon Gai'don and they'll continue living happily ever after, Min will die about a few hundred years before Elayne and Aviendha? Maybe he wants to spend all the time he's able with Min as she's useful and he's going to lose her soone r than the other two.

Guest cwestervelt

How can you say she isn't willing to share him? When Rand and her went to Caemlyn to pick up Nynaeve, Min is the one that went and got Elayne and Aviendha. Rand had absolutely no intention of talking to either of them. If she wasn't willing to share she would have stuck to Rand's plan and they could have come and gone without Elayne and Aviendha never even knowing they were there.

Min may call him a "woolhead" and such, but she shows her love for him and FOLLOWS his decisions even if she doesn't like them. The other two are to arrogant and will not give up their own desires to follow him, they think they know what is best but dont really care to find out what he thinks. Thats why Min seems the best for Rand.

Min is definitely the best of them. Aviendha a distant second. She was third, but Elayne not telling Rand he's going to be a father rocketed her to least liked of the three. Oh I agree 100% with her not telling the world Rand's the father, that's common sense, BUT to not tell Rand is unforgivable.

And there's the fact Elayne and Aviendha are MUCH more manipulative then Min. Does Min get Egwene to help her manipulate Rand into following her, as she did for Elayne. The worse you could say of Min is the lie of omission, not blurting out straight up she likes Rand, but then that's a real world type reaction. It's not like Aviendha's - "I hate you" to his face, whilst she knows she loves him.

Min's the only one who doesn't get all snotty with Rand all the time of the three. Perhaps it is her age, as the other two do act like little girls. If I had a wife like Elayne or Avi I'd WANT to die at Shayol Ghul for some peace and quiet.

Guest Majsju

Well, Elayne hasn't met Rand after she found out. Min on the other hand knows all about it. If anyone is to blame for not telling, it's her.

Guest cwestervelt

It isn't really Min's place to tell Rand that Elayne is having his child. Even should Elayne have the opportunity to tell Rand, I don't know that she should. He's concerned about her safety enough as it is, add her pregnancy into the equation, and he wouldn't be able to do what he has to. It's just like with the Two Rivers. He needs to appear not to care about them or they are a target. If he knew he was going to be a father, he'd see his child to be in much the same way.

Guest Majsju

I agree CW, but whether or not Elayne should tell him in the first place only becomes a matter once she gets the opportunity to talk to Rand.

But yeah, we all know what can happen when a man learns the woman he loves is pregnant, and he starts getting weird ideas about saving her. I mean, what if he starts dreaming about her dying, and someone hints that they have a power that can save her... :lol:

I like all of Rand's women, but I like Min the most. I'm absolutley in love with her.

I agree that Rand spends more time with her because Elayne and Aviendha both have jobs and responsiblities that Min just doesn't have. Min can help Rand by being with him more then being apart.

I disagree that Min doesn't want Rand to be with the other women. She's in no way trying to keep Rand for herself. She's the one who forces Rand to talk to Elayne when they're having problems, and she's great friends with Aviendha too. She wants them all to work things out.

And Rand won't survive TG so he won't have to pick between the women. Though I do think that at least Elayne will marry him if not all three. Elayne wants a king, and needs a husband for her babies.

My favorite of the three... is Elayne.

I've always had issues with the other two, as a woman... not necessarily as a reader or even as characters. They just erk me to no end.

As for Min being his favorite.. I think she just get's most of Rand's time. I don't think any of them are manipulative (anymore so than anyone in love... man or woman) and I don't think that Rand necessarily loves any of them more than the other. I just think that while Min doesn't have anything to do but hang out with Rand, Aviendha and Elayne DO have other responsibilities. Rand might think he could have forced them away, that he's just too weak to send Min away... but I don't see it. The women are strong enough to leave him, because they have to. Min is the only one without that conflict of interest.

Just my thoughts :P

I'd say Aviendha. And much because the love and fear of him she has for Rand al'Thor to begin with. She knows some things about them (from her testing for Wise One apprentice) which scares her spitless, especially considering the mess of ji'e'toh it leads to. She copes with that by being angry with him "hating" him. And she struggles so hard to meet her toh, even though the Car'a'carn keeps piling up it without knowing it.

The whole thing is such a fine example of what love can be like when you don't communicate enough and I've always found it hilarious. :mrgreen:

And no: I've never had trouble understanding the aiel sense of humor. ;)

Moric of the Singing Wind sept of the Miagoma aiel

I like Min the best, and I believe that Rand loves Min just a bit more than he loves Elayne or Aviendha. Man, what a lucky guy, he has three hot and beautiful women in love with him. :D

There is different reasons for his "love".

I think, him being a taveeren(sp?) he spun the people he NEEDED into his life.

He needs Elayne, as a guardian/queen/ruler of his land AFTER his death. +offspring (Wetland children)

He needs Avienda, to make the Aiels continue their exsistence(keeping the ramaining Aiel together) +Offspring (Aiel children)

He needs Min for her abilities +comfort

I dont think it is real love involved in at all. I think it is passion and need... (wich is easilly confused for love...)

Edit: The reason for the offspring:

Wetland Children: To gain thrones in the wetlands, to keep it together.

Aiel children: New Clan-chiefs, that can secure the Aiels.

Would you not be honored to be under a king/queen/Clan-chief of The Dragon Reborn/Carancarn(sp?)??

I think Rand will survive the Last Battle, but be in Moridin's body (see Memory of Light Discussions).

I do not think Rand loves anyone more than the other, and this is definately evident when they bond him (veins of gold the exact same when he looks at each one)

Avi is definately my favourite. I think it's because she's strong and independant, but the Aiel thing makes her so much cooler, and she's not as stuck up as Elayne can be, or as needy of Rand as Min. However that is just my opinion of why Avi's my Fav., but I do Love all three characters.

Ilyena's got a point when she refers to the golden veins. Those symbolize True Love, if I've understood it correctly. Which puts an end to Dark Justice's idea of it being only lust and need.

But he still have a kind of a point about WHY the Car'a'carn met them all. That's probably ta'veren work, yes.

Moric of the Singing Wind sept of the Miagoma aiel

Archived