DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Elayne, Min, Aviendha equal or not?

gaishain

Which is the couple you love most? I left out Rand and his gals on purpose. Sorry if I've forgotten your favorite couple.  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the couple you love most? I left out Rand and his gals on purpose. Sorry if I've forgotten your favorite couple.

• Egwene + Gawn
    • Faile + Perrin
    • Ilyena + Lews Therin
    • Lanfear + Lews Therin
    • Morgase + Tallanvor
    • Nynaeve + Lan
    • Siuan + Gareth Bryne
    • Tuon + Mat

I don't really have a favorite, though I like Aviendha's PoV the best. I don't see where Elayne is manipulating Rand any more than the others. She has even kept the fact that she bonded him from Egwene. She hasn't had much time to travel to Rand and spill the news either since she is trying to secure the throne. All three have let things slip on accident, but they have been trying to keep details about him secret from Wise ones and Aes Sedai that have tried prying the information from them.

As for Rand, I'm pretty sure he loves all three the same. He definitely wants all three safe.

Guest cwestervelt
I don't really have a favorite' date=' though I like Aviendha's PoV the best. I don't see where Elayne is manipulating Rand any more than the others. She has even kept the fact that she bonded him from Egwene. She hasn't had much time to travel to Rand and spill the news either since she is trying to secure the throne. All three have let things slip on accident, but they have been trying to keep details about him secret from Wise ones and Aes Sedai that have tried prying the information from them.

As for Rand, I'm pretty sure he loves all three the same. He definitely wants all three safe.[/quote']

Elayne's keeping the bonding of Rand from Egwene had nothing to do with trying to protect Rand. It's due to the fact that Rand was already bonded to Alanna, and that she also included Aviendha and Min in the bond. While neiher action is proscribed by the written law, they violate custom that is almost as strong as law. Each of them would get her in serious trouble with the Tower and so she needs to hide it from everyone.

Guest cwestervelt
Egwene didn't know Rand was bonded by Alanna. She doesn't want Egwene to exploit her bond to Rand. Strange because she thinks Rand should submit to Egwene.

No, Egwene doesn't. But it is still self preservation on Elayne's part. Others including Elayne, know that Alanna bonded Rand. As such, especially concerning the method of the bonding, it will become common knowledge. Elayne will be seen as stealing another Sister's Warder as Elanna would be in. As far as Egwene using the bond to manipulate Rand, she already knows about the mutual attraction, so she already has everything she needs.

But Alanna bonded Rand without asking. That is as big of a custum faux pas as what Elayane did, if not bigger.

Besides, if Egwene knows elayne is bonded to Rand she could order Elayne and hook up with a few other AS and track him down. From what the SAS know about Rand's kidnapping the only problem they have with it, including Egwene, was that Elaida did it first.

The Nine from Salidar weren't planning to rescue Rand so they can have cakes and tea with with him. After he was free they seemed to be channeling at him, my guess is they were linked to use Alanna's band to try and comple him.

Egwene would want to track him down for all the things he has to "answer for" like becoming king of Illian, attacking Illian in general, thinking he rules Tear, for what he did in Carihein and Andor, driving the Seanchan back from Illian, all with out her permission and worst of all "Compelling" sisters to swear fealty to him.

• 1 year later...

I know this is a really old thread, but I thought i'd just post my opinion. i think it has something to do with the fact that when Elayne went off with Nynaeve she spurned him, sent him 2 contradictory letters and confused / hurt him. Then Avi- he had her, he wanted her again but she wouldnt let him touch her. He started to get so as he couldnt resist, and he was probably quite relieved when she went - he loves her sure, but at least if she's not there he doesnt have to deal with the rejection. But Min, it kind of crept up on him i think. She tricked him into kissing him, she has no reason to be elsewhere, she stays with him and why shouldnt he keep her close? He tries to leave her behind but she follows along. Elayne / Avi are caught up in other things but Min has no cause to be elsewhere.

I think his relationship with Min is probably the most conventional, but that doesnt mean he favours her - i think its just a result of circumstances that she's constantly by his side.

Yay! Rekindling the old threads.  :D

So far, Elayne and Aviendha have caused Rand more hurt and pain than the love they have given him. Min is the only one who gives support and love. Elayne is completely stuck up. Aviendha is pretty cool, but the Rand/Min relationship still wins for me.

I still don't understand how those three put up with it though. Just saying...most women would slap that man silly if he claimed to love THREE women. I know, I know...poor Rand, losing his mind, all he has to do is save the world, no pressure  ::)

Do you feel that the relationship between Rand and his three women are equal? Are they all treated the same? I personally do not think so. I do not understand why it seems that Min is his favorite. He keeps her close by and acts like he NEEDS her so much more than the others. I understand that her viewings are an advantage to him but it just seems that she is favored. For example Rand was able to send Aviendha away from him but not Min? I guess I do not like Min as much as I like the other two girls. Why? One reason would be that when Rand and Elayne were "together" for the first time and Min and Aviendha were off getting drunk to numb the sensation of Rand and Elayne Min was thinking about how it is all fun and games to think about how they would share Rand but then she thought "who is really going to marry him". Even though it was her viewing that told them that they would all love Rand, how can she even consider that she will be alone with him? Plus the other two girls are much closer with each other than they are with Min. My feelings towards Min is like she is "the other women". Anyone else feel this way? When will it be Elayne and Aviendha's time?

Obviously Min is in the superior position. Aviendha and Elayne are in positions that constrain them. Aviendha is destined to become a wise one, while Elayne is destined to become Queen of Andor and perhaps Cairhien as well. Min is a seer of common descent, she can be at Rand's side at all time's without neglecting her duties. By dint of being around him all the time she becomes the most favored. Elyane and Aviendha are relegated to being booty calls of convenience.

personally I like Avienda the best of the 3 and elayne the least (book 10 & 11 killed her for me)

but to what your saying, I think if any of the 3 women die it will be Min

but then again, I'm one of the ones who *wants* rand to die, and I want Min to die before he dies as well

Illynia=Min^^

I dislike Rand. And Min. Elayne and Aviendha I can tolerate. Min and Elaynes clingyness annoys-at least Aviendha has a bit more independance. I reckon Rand likes them all the same but that whoever he is with at a particular moment matters most to him just because they are there. If you like grapes, oranges and apples the same and you happen to be eating grapes at a particular moment, you dont spend that whole time wishing for apples and oranges too, do you? You just appreciate the grapes.

I think he's more comfortable with Min (although he loves them all the same).  All three of them are "plot" loves.  Each one of them comes from some place that can lay claim to him.  Rand's mother is both Andoran royalty and a Maiden of the Spear so Rand's love of Elayne and Aviendha connects him with (A) his mother's people and (B) the people his mother chose to live with.  Min, however, is from the same part of the world as Rand and she's a commoner.  She's the only one of the three that could ever be comfortable in the Two Rivers.  She's the kind of girl he would have married if the whole Dragon thing had never happened to him. 

Also, she has nothing better to do.  No crown or duty laying claim to her unless you count her duty to Rand.  Elayne and Aviendha both help Rand the most by doing what they are doing.  Min helps Rand the most by telling him what she sees and doing her best to keep him sane.  Since she has the most in common with his upbringing she's the best for that job.

Just my two cents....

Min was his friend first and foremost.  By that, I mean that there wasn't immediate attraction.  I take it as Min being attractive, but not drop dead gorgeous.

Avi and Elayne are both 'hotter' than Min, from the impression that I get in reading the books.  There is much more of a physical attraction between Rand and Elayne and Rand and Avi.  The physical side of the relationship developed much, much later for Rand and Min. 

Also, maybe Rand is somewhat preferential to/protective of Min because she is the weakest of the three women.  She can't channel, and she's left to her own devices for defense (although, I'll bet that she could carve someone up Ginsu style with her knives). 

Final point on Min....he met her first.  He has known her the longest (by a few days over Elayne)...Maybe that has some bearing on the relationship as well.

Additionally, I can see all the points about life after Tarmon Gaidon.  After the battle with the Dark One, will the world need or want the Dragon around anymore?  Most of the world doesn't want him around before the last battle, and that's even considering the knowledge that they really KNOW (deep down inside) that they are doomed without him.  I think Rand will retire to a nice quiet life back in the Two Rivers, should he survive, and that pretty much rules out a long standing relationship with Elayne (who'll need to be in Camelyn) and Avi (who'll probably return to the Waste).

Well, I like Aviendha best...Min is irritatingly clingy...imma thinking she's dead come the last book...On the other hand, I think Rand LOVES them all equally but I think he LIKES Min the most. Like, if he had to go to a party, he'd probably take Min or if two of them just had to talk. On the other hand, if he was getting them all presents, he'd get them equally nice things.

Guest cwestervelt

I still don't understand how those three put up with it though. Just saying...most women would slap that man silly if he claimed to love THREE women. I know, I know...poor Rand, losing his mind, all he has to do is save the world, no pressure  ::)

Spoken like a person of modern western upbringing.  Numerous cultures throughout history allowed polygamy.  Some cultures still allow it today.  And I'm not including societies where having a wife and mistress is at acceptable.

Aviendha has no problems with it because it polygamy is culturally acceptable among the Aiel.  May not be common, but it isn't unheard of.  When you take the fact that women choose husbands and make the arrangements, it might have started out of necessity.

With Min, she knew from when she first saw Rand.  Long before he ever met either Elayne and Aviendha.  She would be the first to tell you that Rand could have done nothing about it.  She's not about to hold something against Rand that she knows he didn't ask for.

Then, there is Elayne, who did have, and possible still has, unresolved issues with it.  She seems all right with the arrangement right now but I don't know that will last.

Archived