DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What I wish I had here in the US

The super fresh local markets that seem to be all over the world except for here. Where you buy all your food just hours after it was harvested or caught or slaughtered and cut up (not always though!). I'd kill to live someplace like that. Makes me almost seriously consider leaving the country. :D

Can you tell I watch food shows on tv? ;)

• Community Administrator

In Oklahoma you can't get things fresh from a farm?  That seems strange!

I know they have farmer's markets around here.  Some small, others bigger.  There's a ton of dairy farms too, so I think you can get the raw milk.  Freshly slaughtered animals, though, I'm not sure.  I bet there are places where you can get it fresher, but maybe not right after it's been slaughtered.  Fresh fruit and stuff I'm fine with, but fresh animals gross me out!  Yuck!

You can if you grow it yourself or know someone who has a farm and is willing to share, which isn't near as common as you'd think since we are an agricultural state. Most of the markets I've seen are very small and are open only certain parts of the year. The only way to get straight from the outdoors onto your plate meat is to hunt or raise an animal yourself.

Yeah...I've lived in several states andhonestly there are small farmer's markets on the weekends but nothing that is every day or on any kindof large scale likein other countries. Its really sad.

I live in an Ag area of CA. I can get really good stuff. Pike Place Market in Seattle is awesome. However, I loved the outdoor market in Tel Aviv.

theris usualy some kind of market or fair somwhere in county going on every - som of them open lot of la all year or almost everyday certain partt of year like at harvest or deeer huntin season or when certain catch com in, but not realy sure that cad you mean by largermarkets. there lot of locall grocers that wil buy th stuff you groww too so thos type of thing not too bad nextt to market. theres som 'insidre' type thinngs too, lik where i live once a weekk durin summer and falll thers local market thatt onlly locals go to beucse only kno about it and yuo can get newly-kiled aniimalls or chikens or goats or anythinng slaughtr for you on spot and lot of other thing that probalby dont meet food boards bs standards. can onllu think taht mayb dont have those in areaa sunris becaus surrounged in corporatin agrculture

We don't even have specialty shops here I live... No butchers, no fish shops. Just grocery stores.

But we just got half of our ten kilo order from a local farm! A mix of minced meat and filéts and soup cuts. He even threw in a couple of kilos of stock bones for free. We're so gonna do this again. I take the bus past the farm at least once a week and those cows have big fields to run in, it's no industrial farming. I'm your opposite Mashi, I want my dead animals as fresh as possible :laugh: I wanna be able to try and slaughter a chicken or something once myself, I feel that's the least I can do as a meateater. Also I wish I knew people who goes fishing, because I wanna fill up my freezer with self-fished fish :biggrin:

The super fresh local markets that seem to be all over the world except for here. Where you buy all your food just hours after it was harvested or caught or slaughtered and cut up (not always though!). I'd kill to live someplace like that. Makes me almost seriously consider leaving the country. :D

Can you tell I watch food shows on tv? ;)

Oh man, me too! All we get here are the half limp stuff that's heaven alone knows how old.

We don't even have specialty shops here I live... No butchers, no fish shops. Just grocery stores.

Exactly! Same here. We used to have all those speciality shops, but the advent of supermarkets killed them. Now everything looks the same and tastes the same (bland). There's a sort of revival with "farmer's markets" popping up in up-market areas, but they're twice as expensive as getting stuff from the supermarket so only the rich can afford them.

Ahhhh.....I was at the farmer's market this morning! I love it but really, there wasn't much in the way of meats. Some farms brought in their organic beef, pork and eggs but they charge an arm and a leg out there. It's much cheaper if I just go to the farm to get it myself. Otherwise it was all plants, produce, and baked goods. I long for more! (cheaper prices would help too!)

Archived