DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Regimental Book Discussion] Where did Mat's Luck Come From

This discussion can utilize all books from Wheel of Time.

So the question is - Why is Mat so lucky.  He very seldomly looses at dice? He gets into scrapes and comes out well in the end.  Why?  What caused his luck to happen? Is it being Ta'veren?

Regimental Book Discussion

As it is the books that brought us here, it shall be the books that keep us here! Thus, we will be participating in monthly regimental book discussions! Each month, one of the regiments will host a discussion based on the books and the Band of the Red Hand. However, every fourth month, a member of the Senior Staff will begin a discussion on the main Band boards which will encompass either a new topic, or a review of the three topics discussed by each regiment. These discussions can concentrate solely on Mat or other characters that we meet through the Band of the Red Hand, or other battle like circumstances that have effected the Band, but they must have a connection to the Band of the Red Hand in order to be considered a valid Regimental Book Discussion.

Rules:
-Label the discussion with the following format: [Regimental Book Discussion] Your Title/Subject Here
-Be sure to mark which books the discussion will scan - if your comment lays outside the boundaries of the books listed, please hide the content as a spoiler.
-In order to gain points in these discussions, you must post at least three thoughtful posts during the month (considered to be the 1st - 25th of each month). You can earn a maximum of 25 points per month by participating in these discussions.
-Each post can receive up to five points, depending on complexity, thoughtfulness and accuracy, for a maximum of 25 points.
-Points will be awarded by the C-G hosting the regiment with the aid of the MG/UC.
-The discussion must involve the Band of the Red Hand in the Books or be connected to the Band of the Red Hand.
-If you would like to host a Regimental Book Discussion in place of the CG of your regiment, you will be awarded 5 additional points. (CG's will receive these points as part of their staff pay)

You know, I'm pretty sure they mentioned that he was always lucky.  His Ta'vereness just amplified it.

Wrong. It is mentioned how he lost a whole crown to a caravan guard once and copped a beating from his da for it.

The luck started after he was healed of the Shadar Logoth dagger.  That crazy night in Tar Valon.

I think being healed of the dagger made it kick in. 

Rand showed it once when they flipped for going in or staying out of the glass columns

Wasn't one of the missing Angreals a pair of dice which gave unknown powers... maybe increased luck or something and they happened to be found by Mat thanks to his Ta'veren powers thinking he would need them.

I don't remember that, but if it was an angreal it wouldn't work for Mat because he cannot channel.

I think that its just part of who he is. Artur Hawkwing and the heroes of the horn all call him 'Gambler' so maybe thats just who he is, like Rand is the Dragon and Perrin is a Wolfbrother. Speaking with wolves is described as 'older than the one power' and 'as old as wolves.' Maybe the Gambler is something ancient walking again. 

i tend to agree with Jak on this one : there 's not much material about his gambles before Shadar Logoth. So he could have been lucky from a really young age.

I  think that it can be related to ancient powers and maybe the manetheren blood

Archived