DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Words of Radiance Discussion - Spoilers

Mashiara Sedai

now that the book is out, i'm changing the thread title to reflect that spoilers will be in this thread and there will be no need to spoiler tag your posts ^_^

also, keep the discussion in this thread about Words of Radience and anything else related to the Stomlight Archive series. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finished today. AAAAH. I read through almost the whole night and all of today, I couldn't put it down.

I'm spoilering my thoughts since I know not all have finished yet.

I almost died when Syl seemed to have lost her mind and gone back to being a normal windspren. My heart broke so much for Kaladin. And then "I claim him", I got tears in my eyes. So happy to see Kaladin finally get it. Shallan's arc in this book was amazing, I loved her character in WoK and I love her even more now. Her growth this book was perfect. I'm so looking forward to seeing how she ends up. And I'm so torn on who I want her to end up with, lol. I think she and Kal would be perfect, but that would require something bad to happen to Adolin, and I certainly don't want that to happen, Adolin became such a cool character this book. And Renarin! I did NOT see that one coming. I got so sad for the Parshendi and Eshonai especially, seeing her captured within herself. I really don't want anyone to make movies of the Stormlight Archive, but I'd give sooo much to see Kal and Sezh' fight up over the clouds, especially when the friggin plateu got thrown up by the storms! And Dalinar got the Stormfather as his spren, WOW. Syl's "You'd probably prefer a spear" and then transforming herself into a spear... That's so cool. And it made me so sad to hear that Shardblades are dead spren :/ I saw someone in the comments on Tor wonder about the windspren Kaladin attracted, if they will become his shardplate. Very, very cool theory.

Also, who else have read Warbreaker? Did you spot Vasher? :biggrin: And Nightblood! I kinda choked at that part because my jaw dropped, my mouth tried to say "whaaaat" while at the same time laughing in suprise and enjoyment. So did not expect that. Wow. Am astounded. Setzh and Nightblood will be... interesting.

Okay, still going to use the tag since the book was JUST released a week ago but if you've read the other cosmere books...

Not only does Nightblood show up but also Kalad the Userper, WOW!!!

Oh, also...

So glad Jasnah survived!

• Community Administrator

All done!

I'm so sick of characters who seem to die and then don't.  I didn't believe Jasnah was really dead, but I'm so bloody sick of that ploy!  Steelheart spoiler:

and I'm so upset that this happened with Megan too.  It drives me crazy!

As for Renarin's powers, I thought it was obvious.  It was very similar in theme to something in Elantris... Elantris spoiler:

Adien the boy who knows numbers but can't function.  He turns out to have the power all along.  For some reason, Renarin really reminded me of this boy. So it seemed logical that Renarin would have the power too.

Plus, there was tons of foreshadowing with Renarin not wanting to touch his shardblade.

I wonder what Adolin will do with his father, his brother, and he betrothed all being Radiants.  I think it will drive him insane.  I like him with Shallan.  I think she would be better with him than Kaladin.  At first, I was thrown when Jasnah set up the betrothal--because I assumed Shallan and Kaladin would get together.  But after seeing Shallan with Adolin, I think they would make a btter couple.

Jasnah:

I honestly thought it was quite transparent the whole time that Jasnah would come back. Shallan needed to convince herself Jasnah was well and truly dead, to be forced to grow as she has, both as a person and to learn her powers. Jasnah also needed to get out of the way so that Shallan could take up the position she has within Dalinar and Navani. It was the logical way to do it. I never really thought Jasnah was dead, I expected her to come back, but the whole incident with the ship was still shocking!

Renarin:

I actually didn't connect that with the boy from Elantris, lol. I had a little jawdrop-moment when he collapsed and frantically started writing zero's on the wall inside the little building.

I don't think there was a love triangle, but I do think Kaladin and Sallan's time in the chasm made them grow fond of each other. It might develope into more later--especially since Kaladin is now a lighteyes--but I think it will be made more obvious if Brandon does decide to take that route. If you think about her dealings as Veil, that's something Kaladin would be more willing to accept that Adolin. Depending on which lifestyle she chooses, one or the other might be better for her.

I'm halfway through and enjoying myself. I think there's areas where his prose is fine. Then others where it's just awkward. I don't know how he manages to ruin perfectly good lines, especially in the prologue. Much of what Mr Ares said is right, though I'm not feeling any issues with pacing so far.

I do love Sanderson's imagination. People mention it a lot with his magic system, but the settings he creates are pretty wonderful too. His imagination helps offset weaknesses in other areas.

Some of his character interactions just feel fanciful and forced, though. Not all, but the style seems to change.

Despite all my criticism, I really am enjoying it. And I think the Stormlight Archive will hold up much better on rereads than his WoT work.

I'm halfway through and enjoying myself. I think there's areas where his prose is fine. Then others where it's just awkward. I don't know how he manages to ruin perfectly good lines, especially in the prologue. Much of what Mr Ares said is right, though I'm not feeling any issues with pacing so far.

I've finished it, and I found the pace was definitely overly leisurely. I'd say it's one of his worst in terms of pacing - a lot happens, but it takes its time. In other aspects he improves (characterisation is some of his strongest, on the whole), but other faults (infodumping, jarring word choices, forced dialogue, etc.) are present and correct. On the whole, the strengths outweigh the weaknesses, for me at least, but it is somewhat frustrating that it feels like it could have been a stronger book with some rewrites.

Spoilers follow.

I don't think it really worked to have two of the three big deaths (Szeth and Jasnah) undone by the novels end - I wouldn't be that surprised if Stones Unhallowed featured Sadeas getting resurrected as well. I think Jasnah's death would have been better handled by giving us the reveal shortly after her "death", maybe even playing out events from her POV rather than Shallan's. Giving us two resurrections like that just felt a bit cheap. As individual moments the deaths and resurrections might work, but as a whole they don't.

I hated the resurrections. What next? Maybe resurrect the others with radiant powers as well ( the ones being hunted down by that creepy guy)? Having those characters die made me feel right, showed that anyone could die. Felt cheated in the end. Also hated all the cameos by characters and stuff from other novels I didn't read nor do I intend to.

I think Jasnah's death would have been better handled by giving us the reveal shortly after her "death", maybe even playing out events from her POV rather than Shallan's.

Yup. I didn't like the way this was handled, either. I initially expected her to be alive, but when she failed to reappear for most of the book, I began to believe that she was actually dead... and having her reappear then was just a big "meh" moment.

I think Jasnah's death would have been better handled by giving us the reveal shortly after her "death", maybe even playing out events from her POV rather than Shallan's.

Yup. I didn't like the way this was handled, either. I initially expected her to be alive, but when she failed to reappear for most of the book, I began to believe that she was actually dead... and having her reappear then was just a big "meh" moment.

But if she worldhopped to the Mistborn world as it seems... That is just EPIC!!!  And the long time she was gone just means she may have gotten into some interesting experiances while off world.

I agree about the deaths. So annoying! I'm so sick of that trope in books. There has to be a happy balance between GRR Martajn's kill-everybody method and others' bring-everybody-back method.

I hated the resurrections. What next? Maybe resurrect the others with radiant powers as well ( the ones being hunted down by that creepy guy)? Having those characters die made me feel right, showed that anyone could die. Felt cheated in the end. Also hated all the cameos by characters and stuff from other novels I didn't read nor do I intend to.

Get used to seeing other characters; sandersons world are intertwined. Hoid/Wit show up in both Elantris, Mistborn and Warbreaker if my memory is correct.

I'm intrigued by what Sanderson's doing with the introduction of some Warbreaker elements, particularly near the end. This is more than just the usual Easter Eggs. I'm not saying it's a good or a bad idea. It could go horribly wrong for people who aren't dedicated fans. But I'm curious.

Get used to seeing other characters; sandersons world are intertwined. Hoid/Wit show up in both Elantris, Mistborn and Warbreaker if my memory is correct.

It's more likely that I'll just stop reading his novels. It's not like I have to get used to it.

But if she worldhopped to the Mistborn world as it seems... That is just EPIC!!!  And the long time she was gone just means she may have gotten into some interesting experiances while off world.

I don't have a problem with the in-world (or in-universe, in this case, I gather) mechanics of it, but the way it's presented to the reader. Like I said, I initially expected her to be not-dead, but then her failing to reappear slowly made me believe it, and having her brought back after hundreds upon hundreds of pages was like a "ha ha, got you!" from the narrative itself. If that makes the slightest amount of sense. I felt like a fool for buying into the whole "dead" thing and I don't like being made to feel like a fool. :P

This could have been averted by doing what Mr Ares says in his post, revealing her not-dead status sooner one way or another. And she could still have done all the world hopping she desired.

its called a Mutli-verse. Stephen King is another author that writes this way, where all his books are in parallel universes but are inter connected.

there are a few TV series that act on this concept too.  for instance "my Name is Earl" is in the same universe as "Raising Hope"

generlaly with authors that have multi-verses, they have one or two characters (normally a powerful sorcerer) that acts like a Dr. Who sort of character.   most times their a bad guy, and are used as a writing mechanic to tie the books together.

edit - if someone doesn't understand the mutli-verse concept,  think of each of the authors books as a planet in a galaxy.  their all seperate in their own way, but all of them are together as well and part of some bigger thing.

I agree about the deaths. So annoying! I'm so sick of that trope in books. There has to be a happy balance between GRR Martajn's kill-everybody method and others' bring-everybody-back method.

I've said many times that I feel that Martin's reputation for killing characters is exaggerated - most on the book one POVs are still alive, for example. Yes, he does have a higher than average level of cast fatalities, but he also has a larger than average cast - I think that the happy balance between no-one dies/death is cheap and kill em all is George R.R. Martin. I think I'm in the minority on that one, though. It's also worth noting that he used resurrection himself (on Beric Dondarrion), and that was handled quite well. Resurrection is just a tool, it can be used well or it can be used badly, and in this I felt Brandon handled it badly. Aside from Szeth and Jasnah, we also have the boy in Lift's chapter who got his throat cut. It just gives the impression that death is cheap - and in Jashah's case it feels a bit too much like he's trying to work the audience. It's like a magician - deceiving the audience is part of the act, but you don't want to make it too obvious that they're being deceived.

Archived