DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Words of Radiance Discussion - Spoilers

Mashiara Sedai

. I hope that makes my position a bit clearer.

It does make a lot more sense, although I'm still a little unclear on why, without knowing anything about what Sanderson intends to do with everything that presumably surrounds Jasnah's survival, you think it's the same plot twist as with Szeth.  It seems obvious to me that they're not.  The mechanic of their survival is almost certainly different, the details and motivations are different, etc.  In fact, everything about it is different except timing, and all we can really do with respect to timing is make assumptions and presumptions.  Plucking out a little detail such as timing of revelation and assuming that's the be-all and end-all about what constitutes its nature as a plot twist seems awfully presumptuous to me.  YMMV.

I agree it's pretty obvious Wit is Hoid, although it's less obvious how he's going to influence Roshar and this story in particular.  I do enjoy all of the questions, and the project as a whole seems quite complex.  There's a lot to keep track of.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

. I hope that makes my position a bit clearer.

It does make a lot more sense, although I'm still a little unclear on why, without knowing anything about what Sanderson intends to do with everything that presumably surrounds Jasnah's survival, you think it's the same plot twist as with Szeth.  It seems obvious to me that they're not.  The mechanic of their survival is almost certainly different, the details and motivations are different, etc.  In fact, everything about it is different except timing, and all we can really do with respect to timing is make assumptions and presumptions.  Plucking out a little detail such as timing of revelation and assuming that's the be-all and end-all about what constitutes its nature as a plot twist seems awfully presumptuous to me.  YMMV.

A character that we saw die (albeit from the perspective of someone else) is revealed to be alive, and is now in the company of someone mysterious and ancient. Is that character Szeth or Jasnah? Yes, the mechanics and details are different, but what the plot twist actually was - a resurrection - is repeated. The what is the same, even if the how and why are different. Placing the two so close to one another made the similarities more obvious than they might otherwise have been - if Jasnah's had been at the end of part four, say, or in an interlude (not necessarily her own), the greater spacing would probably have helped. It's certainly not the worst problem I've ever encountered in a book, but it was a minor niggle nonetheless.

I agree it's pretty obvious Wit is Hoid, although it's less obvious how he's going to influence Roshar and this story in particular.  I do enjoy all of the questions, and the project as a whole seems quite complex.  There's a lot to keep track of.

Indeed.

So Hoid is Brandon Sanderson himself?

meh, authors always have a few characters that they write in that are omnicenet and add to the story what the authors think the character need to know.  i dont think Sanderson is such a tactless writer that he would write himself into the stories (like King does). 

My guess on who Wit is...He is "The Almighty"   But the Almighty is Dead...Well maybe he is in Godform, but somehow while the Radiants foresook their voes, The Almighty changed into Human form to understand why the Radiants did what they did.  So here is Wit, who basically puts people on Blast just because he can, but also to learn about Human interaction and understand Human concepts.  He being w/ Jasnah (I did NOT see that coming btw) at the end of the book kinda puts this theory in play for me.

The only other theory that makes sense for me is that while he is Not a Herald, he is a Radiant or some sort of Leader or Higher up in the heirachy of the Radiants.  But that just sounds pedestrian when I write it down.

No, Wit is Hoid, a worldhopping character who appears in other Sanderson books. The 'Almighty' (Tanavast) is a former colleague of Hoid's who became a superpowered entity (along with a whole bunch of other dudes, like the people who became Ruin and Preservation in Mistborn) whilst Hoid stayed normal. Well, relatively. This isn't a theory, it's spelled out pretty clearly in the books (and confirmed by Sanderson).

"If you had bothered reading my posts properly, you'd know that I never assumed Jasnah was dead."

I did, and you're still wrong that "Jasnah is dead" was the most obvious reading of what occurred. You seem a little embarrassed that you were wrong in your assumptions, which is fine. It happens. Greater minds have been fooled before.

"If you had bothered reading my posts properly, you'd know that I never assumed Jasnah was dead." I did, and you're still wrong that "Jasnah is dead" was the most obvious reading of what occurred. You seem a little embarrassed that you were wrong in your assumptions, which is fine. It happens. Greater minds have been fooled before.

But I didn't make any assumption either way - as I said already, I knew she was alive before I read her "death" scene. Assumption was therefore redundant. You've also not explained how any other reading could be considered more or even equally obvious. I already provided my explanation.

Archived