DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Perrin's hammer, something completely new?

clutzyninja

So generally, when we hear about OP-forged weapons, they never go dull, never rust, are almost unbreakable.  Perrin's hammer goes beyond this and not only burns shadowspawn (trollocs at least), but it can permanantly kill a darkhound.

My question is, why?

1) Was it the sheer amount of power poured into it by Neald and the circle?

1a) Was it just the extra power from the circle or did the Saidar/Saidin combo do it?

1b) Does this mean that if Neald had just continued on his own then it would have been a "run-of-the-mill" power wrought weapon?

or

2) Did Neald develop an entirely new way to imbue a weapon with the OP?

Something tickles the back of my mind about one of the books mentioning power forged weapons in the past having other abilities, but I can't put my finger on it.

I'm not really sure.  The only thing I would add is that weapons made during the Age of Legends might have been made using both saidin and saidar - it seems odd that no one would have thought to try it.  But weather they would have made a full circle to make a weapon, I'm not sure.

I know this will be a dead horse, but it sounds like a Sanderson-ism. 

Forgive me, but so what if it is?  I don't care much who came up with the idea, I'm just curious as to the in-world mechanics.  If there are none, then a discussion of theories would be fine with me also.

Do you mean, as in Sanderson didn't bother to check the details for power wrought weapons, or as in Sanderson thought it would be cool for Perrin to have an extra-special power-wrought weapon?

The truth of the matter is that we really don't know much about power-wrought weapons in the AOL.  There may have been many different types with various powers.  Granted that in the few power-wrought weapons we see the only attribute seems to be that they never need sharpening, but if other powers aren't possible what would being power-wrought add to a hammer?  Honestly however, I got the impression that Perrin's hammer is not just power-wrought but is ter-angreal as well.

One would think power wrought weapons and their capabilities would be included in the encyclopedia.

As for Sanderson, we all know he has a propensity for being overly dramatic with descriptions at times. That said I thought he handled Perrin extremely well and enjoyed the hammer scene.

One would think power wrought weapons and their capabilities would be included in the encyclopedia.

As for Sanderson, we all know he has a propensity for being overly dramatic with descriptions at times. That said I thought he handled Perrin extremely well and enjoyed the hammer scene.

I agree, and I LOVED the scene forging the hammer, I didn't think about the whole thing with it being different from the power forged weapons we're familiar with until after I finshed the whole series.

Do you mean, as in Sanderson didn't bother to check the details for power wrought weapons, or as in Sanderson thought it would be cool for Perrin to have an extra-special power-wrought weapon?

Honestly, both.  With some extra not only can Perrin do badass things in Tel'aran'rhiod, but hold onto your hats: he is also a badass in the waking world.  Omg I luv Perrin he is l33tsauce just for good measure.

While it would be awesome if Perrin's hammer were a Ter'angreal, we have no indication of this at all before hand, or after the fact.  It just happens randomly. 

hum I always assumed that standard powerwrte  weapons were as we had seen.   mind I don't see why you couldn't have a Ter'angreal that was also a weapon power or other wise.    however the x factor with Perrin's hammer was the fact that the hole thing had ben worked trough a ta'vern.

Something tickles the back of my mind about one of the books mentioning power forged weapons in the past having other abilities, but I can't put my finger on it.

First book when Rand has channelling sickness at an inn (after being separated) a woman attacks them with a blade that burned whatever it was stuck in

First book when Rand has channelling sickness at an inn (after being separated) a woman attacks them with a blade that burned whatever it was stuck in

I thought that was something to do with her being a darkfriend rather than it being power-forged?  Like the blade being poisoned or something like that?

I thought that was something to do with her being a darkfriend rather than it being power-forged?  Like the blade being poisoned or something like that?

Yeah that wasn't the part I was thinking of.  It was a conversation, not an event.  I could be just imagining things too.

Thor's hammer was impressive. Indeed.

I wonder if any of those Darkhounds were the unkillable T-1000 type that Perrin wrecked.

I would have loved to see the Gholam vs. T-1000, that battle would have continued for a very long time. Hope to see this in a video game at least.

• 8 years later...
On 8/14/2013 at 11:54 AM, Patrick Logan said:

How is it the circle was able to help crete the Hammer? The 3rd Oath is they will not use the One Power to create a weapon, but here the AS are, lending their power to making a weapon.

Well... the circle wasn't created with Aes'Sedai. Is was Ash'aman and Aiel Wise Ones.  The three oaths didn't come into play. 

The wheel weaves as the wheel wills. Remember that the Ashaman initially helped Perrin, by simply providing the heat. Then his instincts started kicking in. The other channelers began noticing that he was doing more than simply providing heat and when asked about it he replied, "I don't know... it just feels right." Much along the same sentiments that prompted Perrin to start making the hammer in the first place (which Perrin also didn't realize he was doing until he had the 3 main components of it). And Perrin making the hammer was foreshadowed by the dreams he was having of making something, but not knowing what. In his dreams he knew he had to make something important, but he had no idea what. 

This might be weak reasoning, but that's how I understood this event. 

NinjaEdit: Oh and as for why it had the particular abilities that it did I believe that it had something to do with Perrin himself being Ta'vareen. Perrin's influence probably guided the way that the Ashaman was making the weave. 

Edited by Dedicated

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Perrin is a wolf brother and a master smith. It always read to me like he was adding something from himself into the making of the hammer.

The best comparison for me is the seed that Rand gave to Elayne for making new angreal. The seed takes power(temporarily) from the user in order to empower the angreal. Perrin adds to the hammer from his skill and being a wolf brother. The fact that darkhounds are turned wolves adds to this as well.

Everything else aside, I don't think we can call this something new for a couple of reasons.

The first, Power Wrought items CAN be destroyed and clearly do get destroyed, it's just harder to do.

The second, we in general know that the story takes place in the future, with myths and legends specifically throwing back to our day and age.   We have myths about Thor's Hammer, Mjolnir.  Which means the Thor archetype in the turnings of the wheel always has a hammer with a similar name.  Which means proto Perrin from before our time also had one forged.