DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ithi, Ayla, Talya, and other English people

Niniel

Now I'm hungry. When are you coming home?

Just after the 4th. I have to see Stonehenge and Westminster Abbey before I come home. Might buy a football jersey too. I've been partial to Arsenal ever since they had Henry but they tend to sell their better players too often.

I saw Westminster Abbey recently and I must admit I was a bit - disappointed. I'm not religious but I do appreciate beautiful architecture and buildings - and the sense of awe a large religious building can generate.

Westmister Abbey has been filled up to the brim with 'I Woz Ere' memorials of the Dead. Every nook and cranny, chapel and space on the wall and floor has been covered with them. The Tour is like going through a crypt.

If you want to name spot the dead and see something REALLY old then do it - but make time for St Paul's Cathedral too.

And go see The Globe Theatre and take a boat ride. And the Tower of London.

And eat Eggs Benedict for breakfast.

In fact - buy the London Pass for £45 ish and do as much as possible. The Tube let's you basically Gateway everywhere in minutes :biggrin:

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like English Breakfast best.

Maybe I should try more types and see.

I think if it is special treat - then non fruit scones with strawberry jam and clotted cream.

*serves Ithi English Breakfast tea and scones with strawberry jam and cream*

I like English Breakfast too but I prefer green tea. 

We have one coffee shop in my town where you can eat scones. They serve it with cream cheese and marmelade. Is that something you would eat in England?

Just after the 4th. I have to see Stonehenge and Westminster Abbey before I come home. Might buy a football jersey too. I've been partial to Arsenal ever since they had Henry but they tend to sell their better players too often.

I saw Westminster Abbey recently and I must admit I was a bit - disappointed. I'm not religious but I do appreciate beautiful architecture and buildings - and the sense of awe a large religious building can generate.

Westmister Abbey has been filled up to the brim with 'I Woz Ere' memorials of the Dead. Every nook and cranny, chapel and space on the wall and floor has been covered with them. The Tour is like going through a crypt.

If you want to name spot the dead and see something REALLY old then do it - but make time for St Paul's Cathedral too.

And go see The Globe Theatre and take a boat ride. And the Tower of London.

And eat Eggs Benedict for breakfast.

In fact - buy the London Pass for £45 ish and do as much as possible. The Tube let's you basically Gateway everywhere in minutes :biggrin:

I loved  St Paul´s Cathedral but last time I was there I got disappointed. Too comersial. The magic feeling was gone. :(  The Globe was great. I wish I could be there in the summer and see a play. 

If you really want an open aire theatre experience you HAVE to go see a show at the Minac Theatre in cornwall.

I saw a Jacobean Tragedy there - everyone died and it was gory as hell - but omg, such an atmosphere. Look it up and wonder at the backdrop of the whole ocean and a sunset!

I'm not religious at all either, but I was pretty awed by Notre Dame. I was walking through when I saw a statue of Joan of Arc on my right. I stopped to look because she's one of my favorite historical figures and she was praying and looking up slightly. I turned my head to look where she was looking and saw that huge circular stained glass window in the wall. It was breathtaking.

Also, I really like visiting the graves of historical figures. Le Panthéon was kind of disappointing for me. There are a lot of writers there, but not too many scientists or mathematicians (Lagrange, the Curies, and Perrin being the only ones I remember). Hopefully I can make it to Les Invalides to see Napoleon and Turenne.

I know for a fact that Sir Isaac Newton is at Westminster Abbey, and I suspect there are many others I would be interested in as well.

Yes he is ... And without his apple lol.

And Queen Elizabeth I and Mary Queen of Scots too.

It is a great historical treasure - just looked a bit like a tomb junyard at times. But maybe that was just me.

St Paul's and the Vatican in Rome are quite awesome.

I know this is the Black Tower so I should expect that this thread would change course but for once I would really love some tea and scones advise. lol

*serves everyone English Breakfast*

(I prefered Sacré-Coeur to Notre Dame. )

You are trying to re-rail the Thread.

Delia Smith or Nigella Lawson - maybe Jamie Oliver? Are probably your best source for Scone Recipies.

I like green tea too - but I've never found a shop bought one that actually tastes like what is served in my favourite japanese restaurant. Maybe I should buy a jar from them.

Have a blast, get drunk, take pictures and buy things! Text me when you get home. 

I know this is the Black Tower so I should expect that this thread would change course but for once I would really love some tea and scones advise. lol

*serves everyone English Breakfast*

(I prefered Sacré-Coeur to Notre Dame. )

Did we get an answer on the healthy scones? 

Going out for tea is nice.

We have a place called Betty's - where they still serve afternoon tea and the waitresses still wear 1920's uniforms.

Is bloody expensive but their hot chocolate is divine.

Ayla will know Betty's cos there's one in York.

Being a student I has never been inside, but they always have a rather large queue so it's gotta be alright in there :)

I wonder if Ayla replaces the cream with nutella?

I can honestly say teh thought has never crossed my mind before. Tells you something perhaps? Buuut... I'll give you three guesses what I'm now doing today :laugh:

And at the risk of being shunned by the rest of the country, I'm not a big fan of cream on scones either. I thinks they are most delishy with a big dollop of strawberry jam :happy:

See!

We are fully programmed as to what is acceptable on a scone lol.

I never used to like cream either - and preferred jam and butter - or maybe just butter. But that would need to be a fruity scone.

of course any results of 'out of the box' scone thinking should be reported back to the group. This is for Science.

CHocolate scones? BLECH Chocolate has no place in breakfast! Everywhere i go for scones here they are coated in overly sweet icing so I never buy them. I have never seen a plain scone before either. They always have fruit in them.

I love an Earl Grey tea or English Breakfast.

Nutella is for crepes. It should not be sullied by the evil crumble muffins of drought.

Just got into London btw. I think the cabbie is Cockney. Not sure because the only accents I can identify with any reliability are Cockney and RP.

I don't like tea so I will pass on that, thanks Tina. I don't like coffee either. 

As for scones, you can have them in the format: Scone then jam and them cream - this is the Cornish way of eating them or Scone then cream and then jam - Devonshire way. I'm from Devon originally and yet prefer the Cornish way, even if they all have 6 toes down there ;-)

The cream has to be clotted cream, no other cream will, it just wouldn't be right. The cream takes the place of the butter.

The jam, either strawberry or raspberry...no marmlade - that is for toast...hehe

Archived