DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ithi, Ayla, Talya, and other English people

Niniel

We are some friends that are going make each other dinner. The theme is all around the world. As you know, my cooking skills are far from perfect. Actually quite the opposite. So I thought that I would get away easy by making a English tea time "dinner". I love tea and scones (I even know how to bake them :)) but I doubt that I´m  actually doing them English enough. 

So, I will offer you tea, scones and biscuits and you will help me by telling  me what kind of team, jam etc. you want to have. If you have a recipe to share then please do. 

Who wants tea, and what kind of tea would you like? Is Earl Grey the best tea?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll pass on the tea, but may I please have a scone? 

Would that be with jam or marmelade or..? 

Never thought about it before but we never say one scone or a scone here. We only talk about scones in plural. 

English cuisine is pretty bad. Even Americans cook better.

What kind have you tasted?

Also, I just had a dinner of:

Escargots

Boeuf Bourgignon

Pinot Noir (Bourgogne)

Fromage blanc

Je suis content.

Mums! That means yummy! I haven´t eaten escargots in many years. Would rather have white wine though.

Also, I just had a dinner of:

Escargots

Boeuf Bourgignon

Pinot Noir (Bourgogne)

Fromage blanc

Je suis content.

Mums! That means yummy! I haven´t eaten escargots in many years. Would rather have white wine though.

White wine doesn't go well with red meat.

I don't like scones. They're like evil muffins that have had all the moisture sucked out of them or something. Coffee is better than tea. Fish and chips are good but you can't eat 'em every day. Lamb and mint is weird but pleasant. Shepherd's pie is bleh. The Scottish and Irish eat even more disgusting things but they make damn fine whisky and beer so they get a pass on the food.

I think it´s a myth that white wine doesn´t goes with red meat. *nods*

I like both scones and muffins. Tea is definitely better than coffee. (Only good in tiramisu.) Haven´t tried lamb and mint or Shepard´s pie but I like fish and chips. Actually, during my visits in England and Scotland I didn´t eat much English or Scottish food.  :blush:

*force-feeds Wombat scones*

I'll pass on the tea, but may I please have a scone? 

Would that be with jam or marmelade or..? 

Never thought about it before but we never say one scone or a scone here. We only talk about scones in plural. 

English cuisine is pretty bad. Even Americans cook better.

What kind have you tasted?

Umm...which ever is healthier? 

WOMBAT <3

Oh. Looks yummy. For me it doesn´t feel right with cream though. Is it usual to have that? Do you have butter as well?

*serves Via scones and hot chocolate*

thank you for the hot choclolate!

if you have scones out in a restaurant / coffee shop you tend to get jam, cream and sometimes buttes as well all separate, so you can load them up how you like! Cream is very tradional though, a nice think cream......mmmmmmmm

I think it´s a myth that white wine doesn´t goes with red meat. *nods*

I like both scones and muffins. Tea is definitely better than coffee. (Only good in tiramisu.) Haven´t tried lamb and mint or Shepard´s pie but I like fish and chips. Actually, during my visits in England and Scotland I didn´t eat much English or Scottish food.  :blush:

*force-feeds Wombat scones*

Most white wines are more delicate and subtle than reds. The relatively strong flavors of red meat tend to overpower the white wine. Veal can go with either I think, but veal is also made from iron-deprived calves =S

<3 Leelou

@ Leelou - healthy scones... ehm, then we bake them with rye? And no cream. Is that okay with the English people? Are there any traditional healthy scones?

@ Wombat - I don´t like red wine so for me white goes with everything. lol 

Oh. Looks yummy. For me it doesn´t feel right with cream though. Is it usual to have that? Do you have butter as well?

*serves Via scones and hot chocolate*

thank you for the hot choclolate!

if you have scones out in a restaurant / coffee shop you tend to get jam, cream and sometimes buttes as well all separate, so you can load them up how you like! Cream is very tradional though, a nice think cream......mmmmmmmm

Is it usual to go out to eat scones? I was to a English tea party once. It was lovely!

My favourite tea is English Breakfast - I also like Darjeeling.

I either quick dip without milk - or leave for longer and add milk. Never ever have sugar in tea.

Everyday scones are with butter - sometimes jam. And is strawberry jam. The best cream would be cornish or devonshire clotted cream. Is delicious.

I'm glad we is not all English English food anymore. I like near Bradford and we have some excellent curry houses. I love a really nice curry.

But the ultimate english meal is the sunday roast - with roast potatoes, yorkshire puddings and gravy (brown) possibly mashed potatoes too and veggies.

My bro in law lives in france and we've had some lovely food there - and indeed here when he visits.

Pan fried duck.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Now I'm hungry. When are you coming home?

Just after the 4th. I have to see Stonehenge and Westminster Abbey before I come home. Might buy a football jersey too. I've been partial to Arsenal ever since they had Henry but they tend to sell their better players too often.

Archived