DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Not In The Book Discussion (Full Spoilers)

Luckers

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok. Who was Nakomi? Was she the same old woman that met Rand outside when he carried Moridin's body from the Pit of Doom?

And how did Alivia help Rand die? By giving him clothes, money, and a pipe to smoke? Couldn't Cadsuane or one of the his 3 do the same thing for him? This was a big deal in a few of the books. People worrying about her killing Rand caused the group to keep Alivia with them for a long time and people wasted time keeping an eye on her too. That was lame for me.

What about Moiraine's questions/requests for the Finns? We never learned those either. Did she just learn to interpret the prophecy so she could get the people behind Rand at the meeting?

I'll post more as I think of them. Still processing the whole book.

What happened to Min's viewing of Sarene Nemdahl's "tempestuous love affair"? 

I like to believe that this is a hint to what will happen to Graendal's compulsion pets. Since she is bound to Aviendha now, I like to think she will order Graendal to remove her complicated compulsion on them. The last hint we had of Sarene was that she "collapsed" and not dead.

I don't think Compulsion would count. Vitalien still makes the most sense, particularly since she wrote poetry about him.

Well that could happen. But I'd rather think that they have not died. After all, Sashalle and the others still lived since Graendal cut the circle in frantic escape from Aviendha after she was speared. 

While it is a possibility, I agree with Terez that Vitalien makes the most sense. 

We have seen what Graendal's compulsion does to people, even if it was unravelled, it is highly unlikely that they would have sufficient wits left to engage in a tempestuous love affair. It might be the sort of thing that I could see happening if GRRM was writing, but RJ veered away from the darker side of sexuality, and I doubt he would have intended it to go down THAT kind of path. 

It is either that or it was an error. 

I am tempted to believe that it was fulfilled vai Vitalien off-screen rather than chalk it up to yet another error, I think Brandon has earned at least that - unless we learn anything new, I am pretty satisfied with this happening off-screen, the evidence is there and it does suggest it. 

It's also possible she survived and she'll be freed from her Compulsion and she'll have her affair in the future. I just like the idea of it being Vitalien. :)

Haha yeah :P 

It would be kinda nice if she was somehow healed to full facility post-compulsion. I always liked Sarene (not because of her stunning beauty, I assure you :P) I liked her PoV's in LoC and thought her character was quite interesting. A cool-headed White, totally oblivious to her beauty, writing poetry about her warder. She was funny. 

Anyone else wonder why Padan Fain / Mordeth suddenly started calling himself Shaisam?

Seemed so out of the blue and with no explanation.  If I had to guess about the short story set in the wheel of time that Brandon said he is including in the Anthology book coming out, my guess is it's about Shaisam and who/what he is and his motivations.

Anyone else wonder why Padan Fain / Mordeth suddenly started calling himself Shaisam?

Seemed so out of the blue and with no explanation.  If I had to guess about the short story set in the wheel of time that Brandon said he is including in the Anthology book coming out, my guess is it's about Shaisam and who/what he is and his motivations.

In the TOM prologue, he thinks to himself that he needs a new name, partly because he is both Mordeth and Fain (so it's wrong for him to think of himself as either and not the other), and partly because he has transcended both Mordeth and Fain with his new powers. There were some fan guesses about what his new name would be...

Am I the only one that was really shocked that Sulin didn't appear in the book?  As in, I don't think there was a single mention (maybe one very early that I missed).  She was the most prominant of the Maidens after Aviendah started studying with the Wise Ones.  I would have expected her to get a death scene.

Since Brandon had her appear in two places at the same time in ToM, he avoided such errors in AMoL by not having her appear at all.

Did Perrin mention something about seeing tracks that looked like Snakes when he was Dreamworld jumping? Was that saying even the Alf and such had joined in the fight against the shadow? It was a real brief mention, if I had an Ebook I could look it up, but I'll manual search back thru :(.

Also, What the heck happened to the Black tower? Maybe this has been discussed, and someone can point it out to me, but Demandred said Taim had about 100 Ashaman with him, Logain said he had about 100, and I'll be nice and say "Rands Crew" (Including all the various armies he had given Asha too) had about 100 (that's very generous but whatever), that means the Battle of the Black Tower (Which was nearly completely omitted from the book) destroyed nearly 2/3 men in the Black Tower?!?!?!?! (Given that the BT nearly matched the WT at this point). Seriously? The Bloody hell did we miss?!?!?!?

I believe that they were either forgotten, or they went the way of the novices and accepted. The majority of untrained men being left out of the battle because of their untrained-ness. 

Speaking of...   there were a few that would have been nice to see -- the Two-Rivers folk (male and female) and Sharina for a few.

I might missed it somewhere, but did we ever find out what the "three ripples" were? Regular bubble of evil or something else?

This really surprised me too -- especially after in interviews Brandon started grinning when asked if it was a balescream.  Given how much BF was being thrown around in the LB and how weak the Pattern was I could believe the theory about Dem coordinating massive balefire somewhere except there was nothing in AMOL to explain the ripples and his being in Shara undermines it.  So I'm guessing it does come down to a bubble of evil with possibly a whiff of red herring to it.

Guest jonnyapple

Just signed up here. I feel like there's this weight that has been on my shoulders for over 20 years as I waited for this series to end!

I came here looking for the answer to the Rand pipe lighting trick. I like the idea of him having some TAR influence in the waking world because of how close to the bore he was when it was sealed. I haven't looked for a discussion on the Rand->Moridin transfer, but my take on that was that their threads in the pattern were already connected from the Shadar Logoth balefire incident, so it wasn't such a big deal to have the souls guided to the "right" wrong bodies. 

My thoughts on Perrin from the conversation he had with Slayer is that both he and Slayer had something of an immunity to the "lose yourself" quotes (cue eminem) throughout the books. I think it has to do with the the fact that Perrin/wolfbrother Young Bull and Luc/Isam each had two souls to work with. Slayer seemed to imply that the merger was important for him to have gained the abilities he had. In Slayer's case, it was Shai'tan's twisted version of something that was natural in Perrin. I'll wager Elyas Machera could figure out how to enter in the flesh without danger of losing his soul, too (but could obviously lose his life).

About Verin's notes on the last battle, I hadn't thought of it before this thread, but one thing that was strange to me while reading is that Egwene knew to send the "break the seals when the light comes" message to Logain. It's a long shot, but maybe Egwene knew a little bit of how it would all go down from Verin's notes?

Archived