DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Not In The Book Discussion (Full Spoilers)

Luckers

The unforgivable omission is not learning Moiraine's demands, as I can't imagine they weren't tied to the Last Battle. However, given the nature of the series and what the folks in charge of it know about the fanbase, it's likely that they WERE fulfilled, and that we are just being given something to chew on for years to come. I imagine that's why alot of things were left out.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The unforgivable omission is not learning Moiraine's demands, as I can't imagine they weren't tied to the Last Battle. However, given the nature of the series and what the folks in charge of it know about the fanbase, it's likely that they WERE fulfilled, and that we are just being given something to chew on for years to come. I imagine that's why alot of things were left out.

Jesus Christ if I have to read one more thing about the heartbeat vs. Darkfriend-sensing debate I'm going to lose it. Who cares? I haven't been paying attention to the authors of these posts, but I really hope it's the same two people, because if this website is made up of an entire community of people who just nitpick ad infinitum, I'm giving up. Take it to personal messages or something, because you're just quoting the same parts of the book over and over again. 

And someone else brought this up, but no one else seemed bothered by it. Who was the fake Sammael moving Shadowspawn through the Ways? That was such a causal aside thrown out by Moridin and it really floored me, but was never mentioned again. 

Taim or Moghieden probably. Most likely the latter. She did mention how good she was at impersonating other Forsaken.

That along with the total removable of Verin's letters from the books.  It was very clear that those letters were important and would have an outcome on the ending.

Tallanvor and Sulin weren't in the book, lol. Morgase was barely in it.
Can't say that I really mind, Tallanvor was my least favourite character (was, because now it's Taim).
It just makes me wonder, why give new names to so many soldiers rather than reusing characters?

Jesus Christ if I have to read one more thing about the heartbeat vs. Darkfriend-sensing debate I'm going to lose it. Who cares? I haven't been paying attention to the authors of these posts, but I really hope it's the same two people, because if this website is made up of an entire community of people who just nitpick ad infinitum, I'm giving up. Take it to personal messages or something, because you're just quoting the same parts of the book over and over again. 

And someone else brought this up, but no one else seemed bothered by it. Who was the fake Sammael moving Shadowspawn through the Ways? That was such a causal aside thrown out by Moridin and it really floored me, but was never mentioned again. 

Taim or Moghieden probably. Most likely the latter. She did mention how good she was at impersonating other Forsaken.

Moghieden I would say, since Taim didn't become a chosen till the last book it seems unlikely he would of had the knowledge  or skill to fake being Sammael.  And since the attack was against Moridins wishes and she was already in hot water it stands to reason that was the reason for her to disguise herself when she did it.

Another thing that maybe I missed, but why is it bad to enter TAR in the flesh? All throughout the series everyone from the Wise Ones to Aes Sedai have said its bad, you lose a bit of yourself, etc etc. Yet when Perrin asked about it, he basically just got told, "because, it is." There seemed to be no real explanation as to why, and Perrin did it about a billion times later in close succession and he seems fine.

Is it just a stupid superstition potentially created by Forsaken during AOL and one of the "facts" that survived the Breaking, or is Perrin somehow immune due to him not being a channeler?

As I understand it, there are at least two reasons. First, you don't sleep when in TAR in the flesh, but the lack of sleep accumulates as sort of a sleep debt that you must repay afterwards, bringing you very close to death. Second, and more importantly, if you die when in TAR in the flesh, you are burned from the Pattern and can't be spun back in. This is why I believe the practice is referred to as "evil", much like most reactions to the use of balefire.

Guest TimKington

I thought Aran'gar was the one who pretended to be Sammael and sent the Trollocs.  In a FS meeting in either KoD or TGS, Moridin says they're not supposed to kill Rand, and she thinks something about how he's going to be pissed.  I always thought that's what she meant.

Does anyone else think it would have been cool if Bashere really was a Darkfriend rather than Compulsed? I kept thinking it would have been a nice little twist for the other generals to have been Compulsed and thus for Bashere to be disregarded as being a Darkfriend, but then have him do something shocking at the end. This was especially so knowing Faile was in charge of the Horn - part of the time I was wondering if she too much have been a Darkfriend. Oh well, it worked out well enough.

Guest luanajane2

I was hoping for a section showing Loial's speech at the great stump.  There are allusions to it, but we never see it firsthand.

I havent read this thread but I can only imagine many people (like myself) wanted to see Artur Hawkwing and Fortuona.

I personally think it was best Sanderson skipped it. It would HAVE to be EPIC to live up to expectations. What should it resolve if anything?

What kind of debt would it put Fortuona in to Mat, especially if Artur Hawkwing approached it correctly to give Mat credit?

I dont know what fanfiction restrictions are on Wheel of Time, but I would love to see some of the "writers" who visit here regularly write the Artur/Fortuona scene and see what the general consensus is.

Viper has the right of it. RJ stated flat out there is no "song". There is the voice talent however and that will certainly be rediscovered.

Did anyone else notice that Loial most likely did rediscover The Voice?  It was during one of his battle scenes when he decided to sing about honoring life instead mourning the dead.  It's specifically mentioned that it's different from any other Treesigning he's done before.  Frickin' Trolloc spearshafts sprouted shoots after that.  If that's not a Song of Growing, I don't know what is.  Roundabout pg 500.

If it is indeed the case, I REALLY like where this takes Loial's character.  He will write the book, so is the keeper of the knowledge and the bridge between current events and posterity.  But he also carries the seed of growth and hope for rebuilding the land itself.  Not just the people. the nations. the politics - the Land.  He carries the torch of the future for Rand/The Pattern, and is the epitomy of the legacy Rand wanted to leave for the new Age.

I was hoping for a section showing Loial's speech at the great stump.  There are allusions to it, but we never see it firsthand.

I dont feel that it could be written well enough to justify putting it in TBH. If RJ was alive sure I would love to see it. But otherwise, best its left out. Because if it wasnt an amzing speech, it would fall flat in the worst possible way.

I was sad we didnt see any more aftermath of the books. What happens to the Aiel, Tinkers.

I was also dissapointed Tuon didnt channel, No new verin letter reveals, and the Hawkwing/Tuon convo :)

I like Tuon. Wish RJ was around to write his outriggers.

Am I the only one that was really shocked that Sulin didn't appear in the book?  As in, I don't think there was a single mention (maybe one very early that I missed).  She was the most prominant of the Maidens after Aviendah started studying with the Wise Ones.  I would have expected her to get a death scene.

I think something hinted at was a select few who were above the call of the Horn. Hawkwing addresses Mat much as he does LLT, in that very familiar i-know-who-you-are attitude and name/title. So whole Mat may not be a Hero of the Horn, i believe him to be maybe a Hero of the Wheel type of figure?

Also if Perrin is the king of the wolf dream/Tel'aran'rhiod ... does that mean he's automatically a Hero of the Horn since that is where all the Heroes reside?

and it makes since Rand: Pattern, Perrin: Tel'aran'rhiod, Matt: Waking world. The three to win the battle for reality.

The whole Hero of the Horn thing only exists to validate the Horn of Valere.  The reality is that everyone is bound to the Wheel and reborn infinitely in this series.  The only difference between the Heroes and everyone else seems to be that they are bound to the Horn of Valere.  So really...outside of the Horn...what is the difference?

I'm surprised that Verin's notes didn't play a larger role. In TGS, didn't she write that she had information that Rand should know on the last battle, that it wouldn't be fought how he probably thought it would be, and have a cypher? I mean, it was important for Egwene to purge out the Black Ajah, but Verin's advice on the Last Battle was never brought up. That does bother me some. Or is my memory of what the notes were about wrong?

Another thing that maybe I missed, but why is it bad to enter TAR in the flesh? All throughout the series everyone from the Wise Ones to Aes Sedai have said its bad, you lose a bit of yourself, etc etc. Yet when Perrin asked about it, he basically just got told, "because, it is." There seemed to be no real explanation as to why, and Perrin did it about a billion times later in close succession and he seems fine.

Is it just a stupid superstition potentially created by Forsaken during AOL and one of the "facts" that survived the Breaking, or is Perrin somehow immune due to him not being a channeler?

Wasn't that alluded to in the early books?  Something about how you "lose a bit of yourself" that way?  Though that does sound a bit like a wives tale. 

Pretty sure this was answered. You have to share/split your soul to do it. Slayer was Luc/Isam. Perrin was Young Bull/Perrin. Even Rand said he wasn't sure it was "evil", but you do lose a bit of yourself.

In all the 14 pages of this thread, I've seen only 1 reference to the Hawkwing/Fortuona conversation that Mat suggested. I hadn't even CONSIDERED this as a possibility until I saw Mat say that. What I wouldn't give to see how THAT conversation went down. :)

I'm surprised there isn't more interest in this thought.

As for everything else, the things I would have like to see fall in line with everyone elses. What's in the letters? Who's Nakomi really? There's a lot of things i'd LIKE to know, but overall i'm VERY satisfied with how it all turned out.

In all the 14 pages of this thread, I've seen only 1 reference to the Hawkwing/Fortuona conversation that Mat suggested. I hadn't even CONSIDERED this as a possibility until I saw Mat say that. What I wouldn't give to see how THAT conversation went down. :)

I'm surprised there isn't more interest in this thought.

That Brandon even mentioned it is probably fanservice. People have been talking about wanting to see that for years, and many believed that's how the Seanchan problem would be resolved (which I always argued was ridiculous).

What were the swirl of lights that the three boys had regarding each other? I never really understood the point of them, and it was barely mentioned in the last book except for Rand and Perrin to know that Mat was with the Seanchan. And how did they get those colours?

Archived