DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Damane perfect Warders for Asha'man?

DragonChi

It causes a lot of tension that Asha'man have captured Aes Sedai as Warders, but it has a lot of advantages as does Aes Sedia bonding Asha'man. They both live hundreds of years and forming circles makes both more powerful. Obvious huge advantage with the Final Battle about to go down. The big obvious huge disadvantage is the loss of self determination, there are some who might take the physical advantages, but many would not - especial Aes Sedai with their overblown egos.

But, most Damane sowho have been bound to the a'dam for hundreds of years are incapable of handling true freedom. It seems like the ultimate win win therefore for Asha'man to be tracking down Damane and making them Warders - you get the advantages - you weaken the Seanchan, but you don't piss off the White Tower.  As Warders the Damane have a lot more freedom than before, but more of the structure that they needed.

Of course, you get in the way of the Peace that the Dragon has been trying to forge, But, if nothing else they could bond with the Damane presently free but under guard. I believe there are what 20 under guard in the West? Does anyone know the actual number?  It is also an incredible waste that not even the Green Ajah (the battle Ajah?) has tried to learn their unique fighting weaves. Come on! Their skills are going to be needed.

Thoughts?

damane are weapons, not warriors. Much of the role Warders play have to do with their other skills. Simply being able to kill well is not enough.

That being said, the bond may well play a good role in re-habilitating the damane--maybe this is the price Egwene will demand of the sul'dam who want to become Aes Sedai.

damane are weapons, not warriors. Much of the role Warders play have to do with their other skills. Simply being able to kill well is not enough.

That being said, the bond may well play a good role in re-habilitating the damane--maybe this is the price Egwene will demand of the sul'dam who want to become Aes Sedai.

True, they are weapons. But then...So are the Ashaman. Right from their first moments, Ashaman have been warriors. To defend or to attack as needed.

I like the idea of damane as Warders to a channeler. Their leashes wouldn't be physical, but would still exist. Maybe a bond more akin to the Asha'man bond the Logain taught them and was used on Gabrelle on Toveine. It seems to require more obedience. And a simple command of not to hurt themselves or anyone else with the power (unless you are defending an ally) could avoid the type of issues Elayne is having with freed damane and sul'dam at the Palace perhaps wanting an incident to occur to prove that the SHOULD be leashed.

True, they are weapons. But then...So are the Ashaman. Right from their first moments, Ashaman have been warriors. To defend or to attack as needed.

There's a difference between warriors and weapons. Asha'man were intended to be weapons in the same way damane were, but in truth are growing to be warriors. Even as early as Winter's Heart we saw that evolution. Damane are simply swords, guns, explosives. Weapons, not warriors.

Also, does it have to be only Ashaman? Wouldn't a female channeler also be able to able to bond a former damane? I.e. Elayne and Birgette?

No I do not believe a female channeler can bond a female channeler. Part of what a bond does is activate or power up the bodies natural spirit connection to the One Power. It would have no effect for Elayne to bond Egwene, because Egwene already is an active channeler, but Birgette is not - so it works. That is why having more than one Channeler bond you has no additional effect, we don't no what effect 'if any' of a single non-Channeler being bonded by both female and male channelers.

I don't agree but I assume his assumption is based on the fact that we have no info on non-channelers with two AS (the warder of the two browns) getting twice the benefits (stamina, et al.) or if I recall correctly statements that any if Rand's bonds gave him any of those abilities (sense shadow spawn, stamina, et al.)

We've never seen any non bonded channeler be able to sense shadowspawn

Maybe I am misreading what you are saying, but... Yes we have. Rand sensed shadowspawn several times before he was bonded by Alanna. The Super Girls haven't been around too many shadowspawn, except the Soulless and even Lan didn't sense the ones who attacked them at the Inn in Illian in The Dragon Reborn.

Archived